UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC: We've lost 'millions and millions' to piracy

2/18/14 1:56 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rkm456
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove - 
YaoMingia - 
rkm456 - Someone the other day had an idea to make the cards available by the match. That was a very, very good idea.

Thanks, Nobody responded to my thread but I'll copy n paste my idea here..(This was before they made DC vs. Cummings)

It's obvious that the UFC is watering down their cards and the fans, including myself, don't think it's fair to pay
$50-60 if there's only 1-2 fights that you actually care to see. Would it be possible to pay-per-fight? For example, UFC 170. This card was weak to begin with and now with the DC/Rashad being scrapped, how many people plan on paying for this event? Would you pay for it at a lesser price to watch only Rousey/McMann and Maia/MacDonald? Here's an example of a possible pay structure using the UFC 171 main card

Jake Shields/Hector Lombard - $10
Diego Sanchez/Myles Jury - $10
Tyron Woodley/Carlos Condit - $15 (co-main event)
Robbie Lawler/Johny Hendricks - $20 (main event)

Give the fighters a bonus if their fight reaches a certain number of buys..I believe there's a bunch of non-champions that deserve ppv points because they're a draw and always put on a show

How do you propose they do this time-wise? If you order the DC fight this weekend, is your screen blacked out and then it pops on when the fight happens then goes back to black?

This makes no sense unless its an on-demand thing available immeidiately after the fight happens.

That'd be pretty easy. Either have each match on a different channel like they used to do for nascar in cams, so you're just buying the channels you want available for that night. Or have the purchase window close before the ppv start, and then the cable company just turns your feed on when your match starts and turns it of when it's over.

Cable company's are also known for screwing things up, you may get the whole ppv for 10 bucks. Of course then Dana would sue you.
2/18/14 2:04 AM
AlmandoLio
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sandy Pantz - The cards usually aren't interesting enough to even pirate these days
. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 2:17 AM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fans that stream the UFC:

-Buy tickets to live events
-Buy stuff from companies that sponsor the UFC
-Buy UFC gear
-Train at UFC gyms
-Train at gyms that grow talent for the UFC
-Talk about the UFC and help spread awareness about the sport and upcoming cards

I don't think the UFC is losing as much money as they think because of streaming.
2/18/14 2:24 AM
cheesesteak
244 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you think those millions and millions would have trickled down into the fighters pockets?

or

would it trickle down to Aspen retreats for theFritatas and 2 million dollar gambling nights and fake snow for every day of winter at Danas house?

I'm pretty positive it would be the later. F, the UFC. I've been a fan since 93 and am growing very unfond of the glutinous behavior of theFartitis and Dana Fbomb White. brass.
2/18/14 2:25 AM
YaoMingia
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JimmersonzGlove - 
YaoMingia - 
rkm456 - Someone the other day had an idea to make the cards available by the match. That was a very, very good idea.

Thanks, Nobody responded to my thread but I'll copy n paste my idea here..(This was before they made DC vs. Cummings)

It's obvious that the UFC is watering down their cards and the fans, including myself, don't think it's fair to pay
$50-60 if there's only 1-2 fights that you actually care to see. Would it be possible to pay-per-fight? For example, UFC 170. This card was weak to begin with and now with the DC/Rashad being scrapped, how many people plan on paying for this event? Would you pay for it at a lesser price to watch only Rousey/McMann and Maia/MacDonald? Here's an example of a possible pay structure using the UFC 171 main card

Jake Shields/Hector Lombard - $10
Diego Sanchez/Myles Jury - $10
Tyron Woodley/Carlos Condit - $15 (co-main event)
Robbie Lawler/Johny Hendricks - $20 (main event)

Give the fighters a bonus if their fight reaches a certain number of buys..I believe there's a bunch of non-champions that deserve ppv points because they're a draw and always put on a show

How do you propose they do this time-wise? If you order the DC fight this weekend, is your screen blacked out and then it pops on when the fight happens then goes back to black?

This makes no sense unless its an on-demand thing available immeidiately after the fight happens.

The UFC still sells their PPV as usual but have the option to buy single fights on fight pass for people that only care to watch 1-2 of the fights on the card
2/18/14 2:26 AM
Matt Phillips
822 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish theyd move away from the PPV model all together. If not that, put all PPVs on Fight Pass Phone Post
2/18/14 2:29 AM
Foos
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The PPV model is terrible for many fans, but I don't blame the UFC for doing it. They are still making a lot of money off that model.
2/18/14 2:35 AM
PoiuPoiu
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whitesun - 
PoiuPoiu - blame the Europeans, Asians, and Latinos. UFC is free in those countries

Free in Europe? Really? I dont think so, i have been paying full price for every ppv, not even a discount up until now. It is only free in market like Germany where they have interest in. People over the Europe stopped paying for PPVs if theres full price they have to pay for and germans get it for free. Almost all that i know of switched to torrents because of that.

And they get the event uploaded 1 hour after it is finished, for free, in early morning hours, and they can still get normal sleep, not waking up at like 3am at night just to watch the event. Personally i ve bought around 50+ ppvs for full price, got up at 3am watching the events, but not anymore, after ufc 169. Not even getting a discounted price for an event that is free in Germany (where they have the event for free) which is like 200 miles away from where i am at, feels stupid.
I even emailed ufc support about it few times, and they said they had nothing to do with the price discrepancy in EU. Then who does.. Lol. Just showed how ignorant they are and unwilling to hear the fans out. Noe i am not paying anymore since ufc 169. So, briefely, thats what is going on in some EU countries :)

the UFC is on BT sports or Start sports, a network similar to espn, you dont get that in thirdworld-i-stan ?

its not "free" but on basic cable

2/18/14 2:37 AM
spjackson77

Foos - The PPV model is terrible for many fans, but I don't blame the UFC for doing it. They are still making a lot of money off that model.

I agree. how many fans don't have the capability of ordering a ppv even if they wanted to?
2/18/14 2:46 AM
Wwzzjj92

It's good customer service to not fuck with streamers, I'm on a budget, so if they let me get by streaming occasionally, so that I can keep up with the sport, ill buy the fights I really care about, but if they wanna be dicks, I won't give them any of my money.

It's like when a fast food place fucks up my order, if they replace it I will come back, if they're dicks, Ill go somewhere else.

I don't pay tightwads. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 2:48 AM
PoiuPoiu
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only US & Candians pay for $PPV, other people get it on cable sports channels
2/18/14 2:56 AM
whitesun
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoiuPoiu - 
whitesun - 
PoiuPoiu - blame the Europeans, Asians, and Latinos. UFC is free in those countries

Free in Europe? Really? I dont think so, i have been paying full price for every ppv, not even a discount up until now. It is only free in market like Germany where they have interest in. People over the Europe stopped paying for PPVs if theres full price they have to pay for and germans get it for free. Almost all that i know of switched to torrents because of that.

And they get the event uploaded 1 hour after it is finished, for free, in early morning hours, and they can still get normal sleep, not waking up at like 3am at night just to watch the event. Personally i ve bought around 50+ ppvs for full price, got up at 3am watching the events, but not anymore, after ufc 169. Not even getting a discounted price for an event that is free in Germany (where they have the event for free) which is like 200 miles away from where i am at, feels stupid.
I even emailed ufc support about it few times, and they said they had nothing to do with the price discrepancy in EU. Then who does.. Lol. Just showed how ignorant they are and unwilling to hear the fans out. Noe i am not paying anymore since ufc 169. So, briefely, thats what is going on in some EU countries :)

the UFC is on BT sports or Start sports, a network similar to espn, you dont get that in thirdworld-i-stan ?

its not "free" but on basic cable

I'm from Slovenia, which is a fair member of EU since 2004 and really, wouldn't exactly call it thirdworld-i-stan, unless trying to be rude for some reason.

I know that in UK it is not "free" but on a cable TV, i was talking about Germany, where afaik they do not have it on cable TV (as we dont have it, or Hungary, Czech, Slovakia, Austria dunno for Italy), but they can stream PPV for free in Germany. This is where discrepancy comes from. You can easily VPN it for free with .de server.

UK = not whole Europe, and there is no need for negativity. Thanks.
2/18/14 2:58 AM
whitesun
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoiuPoiu - Only US & Candians pay for $PPV, other people get it on cable sports channels

So not true.
2/18/14 2:59 AM
JerodR
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree it's wrong but I don't think they have lost anything. The people that are streaming would have not purchased the event regardless IMO.

As far as taking money away from the fighters the UFC seems to be doing a fine job of that themselves. How the hell Dana sleeps at night paying a fighter only 10 grand to fight for a world title or killing off sponsorship money is beyond me. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 3:05 AM
PoiuPoiu

if you stream a song on the radio, does that mean the artist lost out on millions and millions ?
2/18/14 3:07 AM
Ryan187

UltraViolentRay - i love the assumption that everyone would be paying customers if they couldn't have gotten it for free.

i think they should assume that 0% of the people who "stole" it would have paid for it.

/thread
2/18/14 3:10 AM
HiHu

Everyone is talking about the streaming piracy but what about the dozens of torrents on the interwebs 2 hours after the event in 720p ?

:D :D
2/18/14 3:43 AM
onandon

if it wasn't for piracy I would never have gotten into MMA
2/18/14 3:45 AM
GrotesK

JerodR - I agree it's wrong but I don't think they have lost anything. The people that are streaming would have not purchased the event regardless IMO.

As far as taking money away from the fighters the UFC seems to be doing a fine job of that themselves. How the hell Dana sleeps at night paying a fighter only 10 grand to fight for a world title or killing off sponsorship money is beyond me. Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 3:46 AM
RKing85
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no fucking chance.

They have lost more in lawyers chasing this than they have in people stealing PPV's who otherwise would have bought it.
2/18/14 3:52 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
315 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

onandon - if it wasn't for piracy I would never have gotten into MMA
That's like saying "If it wasn't for rape, I'd have never gotten into sex".

Do you work for free?

Would you?

It isn't just Dana. It's the guys in the truck, it's the guy working arena security and the guy working concessions that lose gigs if shows don't happen and PPV doesn't exist.

If it's worth your time to watch; it's worth money.

Now, if you can't afford it. Say it.

Say I can't afford PPV but want to watch the fights so I pirate them.

That's an honest statement. Still piracy but you are saying you'd pay if you could.

Now, if you are saying the PPV isn't worth it, why are you bothered watching?

Either a guy can't afford it.

Or he is saying it isn't worth it.

It shouldn't be free though.

I don't know why so many people want to be entertained yet don't want to pay the people who entertain them. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 3:53 AM
RJB
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

whitesun - 

I'm sorry, I missed that. Did you say Germans get it for free?
2/18/14 4:05 AM
Rickson's Aura

This is good news. The UFC has 90% of the talent and they still manage to put on shitty cards and their promotion ability is terrible. It goes to show that one major promotion is bad for fans if that promotion is being run by people who don't know how to generate interest.

The best thing that can happen for the sport of MMA is the UFC going downhill and maybe even bankrupt. In the short term it would be bad, but eventually you will see the sport rise again with another competitor and the pressure to outdo the competition will lead to better cards, promotion, and more excitement.
2/18/14 4:20 AM
PoiuPoiu

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
onandon - if it wasn't for piracy I would never have gotten into MMA
That's like saying "If it wasn't for rape, I'd have never gotten into sex".

Do you work for free?

Would you?

It isn't just Dana. It's the guys in the truck, it's the guy working arena security and the guy working concessions that lose gigs if shows don't happen and PPV doesn't exist.

If it's worth your time to watch; it's worth money.

Now, if you can't afford it. Say it.

Say I can't afford PPV but want to watch the fights so I pirate them.

That's an honest statement. Still piracy but you are saying you'd pay if you could.

Now, if you are saying the PPV isn't worth it, why are you bothered watching?

Either a guy can't afford it.

Or he is saying it isn't worth it.

It shouldn't be free though.

I don't know why so many people want to be entertained yet don't want to pay the people who entertain them. Phone Post 3.0

there are far more people earning their living because of the NFL, NBA, MLB. none of these sports run on PPV
2/18/14 4:22 AM
whitesun

RJB - 
whitesun - 

I'm sorry, I missed that. Did you say Germans get it for free?

As far as i know, it is free for Germany from UFC 112, on UFC.TV, you can change all the camera angles and i think commentary too.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.