UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC: We've lost 'millions and millions' to piracy

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/18/14 4:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UK Asylum
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC should be happy people are watching, because if I didn't stream it, I Definitely wouldn't pay to watch it.
2/18/14 4:29 AM
cyberfightr

You can't lose something you have never had. It's foolish to argue you lost an x amount of dollars for all the pirated events. These people who pirate every event wouldnt have payed for it any way. Some folks might want to pay, but the service might not be available in their country.

Infact, they should be happy about their product being pirated. If this were not the case, their fanbase would be a whole lot smaller. Everyone who regularly streams an event is a potential customer for the future. They will tell their friends about the UFC, they might buy merchandise at some point in the future. Business wise, piracy is free exposure of your company and sponsors.
2/18/14 4:30 AM
6ULDV8
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC can keep their wonderfully exclusive product if it isn't free.  They don't need to worry about me pirating anything anymore because I no longer really care that much.

So that's good I guess.  

Hey, maybe Dana's being the way he is so people that would have pirated will no longer touch his product!  What a great guy.  Thanks Dana!

2/18/14 4:37 AM
EckY
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it wasnt for streams and torrents, UFC would have no fans.
2/18/14 4:42 AM
SonOfThePeepHole
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CarlClendenin -
SonOfThePeepHole - U haven't lost shit u clueless fucking moron

Pirates would not have paid anyway, this is what the games industry has realised.

PIRACY DOES NOT = LOST SALES, PIRATES DONT BUY SHIT ANYWAY

FUCK OFF DANA Phone Post 3.0

You have a good point about the games industry. They began to nerf their pirated games, so you only got a taste.

The UFC would be wise to create a freemium PPV model.

From the hip: Pay for full access, or stream but get no commentators, certain camera angles, more commercials, etc.
I'm sick of his fucking shit, Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 4:49 AM
HarryPalms
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hard to fathom how they can be so fucking stupid.

Day by day they do more to alienate their fan base almost intentionally than you would believe possible if it weren't happening before our very eyes.

They lower the quality, increase the price, and instead of listening to the list of concerns and complaints the VAST majority of fans and paying customers have, they insult our intelligence and call us names.

Then act upset when people choose not to pay for the product.

Its been pointed out too many times to need repeating, but the people stream because they either dont have access to PPV, don't have the money, or don't think the product is worth what it costs.
You can close every stream on the internet, but you won't be getting many of those people streaming coming to you as a paying customer. If any.

You will however create a massive base of people who hate your company with a passion and who will go out of their way to badmouth it.

Sounds like a sound business philosophy Zuffa is running with.
2/18/14 5:06 AM
trobinson21

The "millions" is assuming every brokedick who streamed an event had the $54.99 to lay for it, most of them would have never witnessed the event if not for streaming.

Greed causes this aggressive litigation and the yield in buys post stream sites shutdown will be minimal at best.

They just look a lot like a company that went from a "few guys" and $4 million bucks to a bunch of corporate suits who care only about bottom line and market saturation. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 5:23 AM
HiHu

PAY THE STREAMERS DANA
2/18/14 5:24 AM
whitesun
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PAY THE SEEDERS DANA
2/18/14 5:29 AM
onandon

JeffersonDArcyChoke - 
onandon - if it wasn't for piracy I would never have gotten into MMA
That's like saying "If it wasn't for rape, I'd have never gotten into sex".

Do you work for free?

Would you?

It isn't just Dana. It's the guys in the truck, it's the guy working arena security and the guy working concessions that lose gigs if shows don't happen and PPV doesn't exist.

If it's worth your time to watch; it's worth money.

Now, if you can't afford it. Say it.

Say I can't afford PPV but want to watch the fights so I pirate them.

That's an honest statement. Still piracy but you are saying you'd pay if you could.

Now, if you are saying the PPV isn't worth it, why are you bothered watching?

Either a guy can't afford it.

Or he is saying it isn't worth it.

It shouldn't be free though.

I don't know why so many people want to be entertained yet don't want to pay the people who entertain them. Phone Post 3.0

The rape analogy is a bit much.

I was just pointing out that my interest in MMA was sparked by my access to pirated streams, otherwise I would never have bothered to check it out. I've spent plenty money on the UFC now, and have gotten all of my friends into it.
2/18/14 5:41 AM
Stone Rolled
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

onandon - 
JeffersonDArcyChoke - 

Do you work for free?

Would you?

It isn't just Dana. It's the guys in the truck, it's the guy working arena security and the guy working concessions that lose gigs if shows don't happen and PPV doesn't exist.

That's an honest statement. Still piracy but you are saying you'd pay if you could.

I don't know why so many people want to be entertained yet don't want to pay the people who entertain them. Phone Post 3.0

I was just pointing out that my interest in MMA was sparked by my access to pirated streams, otherwise I would never have bothered to check it out. I've spent plenty money on the UFC now, and have gotten all of my friends into it.

The rape analogy doesn't even work. When someone's making the analogy, "If it wasn't for rape, I'd have never gotten into sex". They're saying you only get sex if you pay 55 dollars for it. Which doesn't make sense. Not everyone rents a prostitute.
2/18/14 5:42 AM
Jack Carter
1114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sandy Pantz - The cards usually aren't interesting enough to even pirate these days
This. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 5:43 AM
Lick Boners

whitesun - PAY THE SEEDERS DANA

I'll start doing this if I get a performance bonus. Hook me up Dana
2/18/14 5:49 AM
Huntsman
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

onandon -
JeffersonDArcyChoke - 

Do you work for free?

Would you?

Yeah I understand what you mean, even if Jefferson missed the point and went full retard talking about rape.

Piracy can cost companies money, but also the free access can in the long term create a lot of loyal customers who once they realise the product is worth paying for, may go on to spend thousands on the product. Just like yourself. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 5:50 AM
Panda head
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate -
sodagoespop - 
Sandy Pantz - The cards usually aren't interesting enough to even pirate these days

lol this

^
. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 6:03 AM
madmav
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ufc didn't lose millions to piracy.. they lost millions due to people like me who stopped buying the cards due to shitty judging, reffing, matchmaking and pissing on the fighters we tune into to support.. if lorenzo cares even an ounce about the quality of his product.. he will give us back a promoter who cares about the fans and fighters more than the bottom line..
2/18/14 6:07 AM
IBProfane
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/14 6:08 AM
Zuffa executives (namely Dana & Lorenzo) are completely out of touch with how the economy is affecting the lower class and the shrinking middle class. I ordered every PPV from 22-32, then 47-90ish because I was making good money during that time and could afford DirecTV. When the housing market crashed and credit dried up, that deeply affected me and I could no longer afford satellite service, let alone a $45-50 PPV every 3-4 weeks. This, coupled with the retirement of big stars (Chuck, Randy, etc.) are the reasons why PPV buyrates have gone down.

The UFC assumes that this "lost revenue" is due to streaming when 90% of people streaming the PPV do so because they simply can't afford it. It's a fruitless battle and a complete waste of money on their part. Oh yeah, and good luck getting thousands of dollars from people that are so broke they can't fork out $50 for the PPV they "stole".
2/18/14 6:11 AM
KrisP_82

Argh...! I have officially boycotted the whole fucking franchise! Dana White... GET OFF THE COKE... AND YOUR HIGH HORSE AND QUIT! You have NO respect for your fighters or fans anymore and in turn we end up having no respect for you. Phone Post
2/18/14 6:15 AM
KrisP_82

Lars...? Lars Ulrich? Phone Post
2/18/14 6:33 AM
FightToLive
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The people who steal it wouldn't pay for it otherwise! It's NOT lost revenue! It's just wishing for more!
2/18/14 6:41 AM
Teddy KGB
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never paid a penny for a UFC event and never plan on. If i couldn't stream I would get a torrent the following day and if I couldnt get a torrent then I just wouldnt watch it. You would need to have a zip on the back of your head to pay anything for a televised sporting event like the UFC.

2/18/14 6:57 AM
john joe
389 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

web piracy for the most part is "if i can have it for free, sweet, if not then fuck it, i dont need it, im not that bothered"

not just regarding ufc product but in general.

i have never downloaded a single thing that i would otherwise have paid cash money for;
2/18/14 6:59 AM
BangersandSmash
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sandy Pantz - The cards usually aren't interesting enough to even pirate these days
Lol yep. I pay for BT Sport but I stream on my laptop so I can watch the fights in bed. Rarely even bother these days. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 7:05 AM
Poindexter
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/14 7:05 AM
“We have an obligation to our customers and those athletes to continue to pursue the people who don’t want to pay for the goods and services they receive,” Hendrick said.

They're doing it for the athletes. I'm sure the athletes will benefit somewhere down the line, right? After the "nickel and dime-ing" Quarry mentioned, the sincerity and concern from Hendrick here is laughable at best.
2/18/14 7:13 AM
HarryPalms
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Affliction Blackbelt - 
sodagoespop - 
Sandy Pantz - The cards usually aren't interesting enough to even pirate these days

lol this

Pirates couldnt give a shit about the UFC. You think pay-per-view holds up in jagged waters of somalia or the deep atlantic? Forget about it. UFC had a golden chance to snag the interest of vagabonds sea scoundrels but frankly that ship has sailed.

voted up.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.