UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC: We've lost 'millions and millions' to piracy

2/18/14 9:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Soup and Beer
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MyGodThisMMA - Every stream I've watched is because I'm not going to buy it. If I couldn't stream it, or download it I'd go to a bar to watch it. And they've already paid the UFC. So if anything, bars have lost out on hundreds of my dollars because I just wouldn't watch if I had to pay 70 dollars every time.

So no..that's just not true. Phone Post 3.0

Im in agreement with most of you guys but when you say stuff like this, you just end up validating Zuffa's case. Those bars have to spend several thousand bucks to air the UFC.  Commercial and residential prices are quite different.  If enough people stream it instead of bothering to go to the pub, then the bar owner is seeing no traffic increase because of the PPV and will just stop purchasing them.

2/18/14 9:51 AM
Doc T
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if you're Willing to pay for it, you're likely going to pay for it. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 10:23 AM
Flexo
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More like they havn't earned those millions. You really think the people who stream have any intention of buying the ppv? Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 10:24 AM
CarlClendenin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MITman2k - 
CarlClendenin - 
UltraViolentRay - i love the assumption that everyone would be paying customers if they couldn't have gotten it for free.

i think they should assume that 0% of the people who "stole" it would have paid for it.

You're right, but shortsighted.

Radical public headlines such as this one is a clear ploy to manipulate government officials to allow them to sue streamers/protect their product more aggressively.

We know they didn't lose millions, as you've pointed out. But lawmakers don't know that - and they have always protected financial interests.

In my opinion, of course.

This.

The UFC has been doing quite a bit of lobbying on Capitol Hill  to appeal for stronger streaming laws(& apparently it's not cheap either http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/2/4294052/ufc-outspends-mlb-nba-lobbying-capitol-hill-fight-against-online-video-piracy-mma.) And don’t forget support for SOPA.

They have to know the laws on this are shaky and so they’re appealing to politicians to new ones. They have the right to do this (and the interface between corporate interests and government has long been there) but I’ll be damned if  I support them in wanting to put new restrictions on the internet.

This. SOPA is a big one.

The posters here need to realize that these headlines don't appeal to them, intentionally. The UFC, of all things, isn't flat out stupid. Disagree, obviously, but think of why they're saying these things.
2/18/14 10:27 AM
CaptainAhab
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WrestlingSucks - This is why ppv's should be a part of the UFC Pass. Make it $12 a month with all the ppvs included plus library.

You want a hand shanty to go along with that? -DFW
2/18/14 10:31 AM
CaptainAhab
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/18/14 10:31 AM
The $60/PPV model really is ridiculous. Zuffa should be glad that anyone is buying at that price.

What does HBO cost, as a subscription, like 12 bucks a month? Producing one season of GoT cost more than putting on every UFC show in history.
2/18/14 10:54 AM
jagen

MITman2k - 
CarlClendenin - 
UltraViolentRay - i love the assumption that everyone would be paying customers if they couldn't have gotten it for free.

i think they should assume that 0% of the people who "stole" it would have paid for it.

You're right, but shortsighted.

Radical public headlines such as this one is a clear ploy to manipulate government officials to allow them to sue streamers/protect their product more aggressively.

We know they didn't lose millions, as you've pointed out. But lawmakers don't know that - and they have always protected financial interests.

In my opinion, of course.

This.

The UFC has been doing quite a bit of lobbying on Capitol Hill  to appeal for stronger streaming laws(& apparently it's not cheap either http://www.mmamania.com/2013/5/2/4294052/ufc-outspends-mlb-nba-lobbying-capitol-hill-fight-against-online-video-piracy-mma.) And don’t forget support for SOPA.

They have to know the laws on this are shaky and so they’re appealing to politicians to new ones. They have the right to do this (and the interface between corporate interests and government has long been there) but I’ll be damned if  I support them in wanting to put new restrictions on the internet.

Sounds like they're losing millions to lobbying for stricter laws, not streaming.
2/18/14 11:00 AM
UltraViolentRay
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaptainAhab - The $60/PPV model really is ridiculous. Zuffa should be glad that anyone is buying at that price.

What does HBO cost, as a subscription, like 12 bucks a month? Producing one season of GoT cost more than putting on every UFC show in history.

they should have bought G4 when they had the opportunity - they could then have used it to bring other fight orgs under their umbrella as true feeder leagues and even showed other combat sports and movies (yes, this is exactly like the Fight Network from Canada)

sounds like a better investment to me rather than paying lawyers to chase scraps

2/18/14 11:20 AM
Devlin
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rambo John J -

No other sport costs 600-1000 to follow per year.

Better have an amazing product to ask for such a price.

UFC no longer puts out that product.    

170 card is a joke, discounts should be offered to PPV and ticketholders.  No joke.

This, the number of ppv's are insane. Whats the cost to put on a ufc? Surely the gate comes close to breaking even. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 11:21 AM
Yussarian
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sockeye - UFC is the only sport you'll go broke watching

This right here.
2/18/14 11:24 AM
nastydirtysavage
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rambo John J -

NFL costs 0 dollars to follow.

How do they make money???

Also does anyone know what the president of the nfl looks like? Or his opinions on every fucking team?

I feel like at this point Dana takes away more from the UFC then he contributes lately. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 11:27 AM
Yussarian
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WrestlingSucks - This is why ppv's should be a part of the UFC Pass. Make it $12 a month with all the ppvs included plus library.

I would even pay $25 a month just because of the convenience of it all on one spot. And I would still be saving money after I get rid of the extra channels I am forced to get, just to keep up with my favorite fighters.
2/18/14 11:30 AM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well..if we want to send a message and want things to change we need to stop buying ppv's. People that bitch but still pay $60 aren't helping. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 11:43 AM
Wiggy
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rambo John J - 

No other sport costs 600-1000 to follow per year.

Better have an amazing product to ask for such a price.

UFC no longer puts out that product.    

170 card is a joke, discounts should be offered to PPV and ticketholders.  No joke.

QFT
2/18/14 11:43 AM
Yussarian

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - Well..if we want to send a message and want things to change we need to stop buying ppv's. People that bitch but still pay $60 aren't helping. Phone Post 3.0

I haven't ordered the the last PPV and will definitely not order the upcoming one. And for fight-pass, fuck that, talking about dummies....
2/18/14 11:46 AM
Jamie3184

If i can't stream the cards any longer than i just won't watch it and i guess eventually i will lose interest in the UFC. For me the cards just aren't good enough any longer to pay the money to watch them, i think that the UFC has been a victim of it's own success. They have tried to grow too quickly, putting on more and more cards before they have the roster to actually put on good shows that people are willing to pay for.

Its a shame that the UFC seems so hell bent on alienating the fans. I realise that technically what people are doing in streaming or downloading the fights is wrong. However i would say that a better plan of action by the UFC would be if they tried to find a solution or reasons as to why the majority do it. Rather than just going all out on the offensive and suing people.

All this does is puts peoples backs up and makes them angry. They should be finding a way to get the people that are streaming content to buy it instead, rather than punishing them and treading all over them. Do they really think that by running all over them and suing them for large sums of money will make them buy the next UFC card?!
2/18/14 11:50 AM
ranier wolfcastle
1203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theyre making great money

2/18/14 12:00 PM
I Wild Each It
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - no fucking chance.

They have lost more in lawyers chasing this than they have in people stealing PPV's who otherwise would have bought it.

That's the fucking truth. They're literally spending more in legal fees than they are recovering, by continuing this initiative they cannot win. And pissing of their consumer base in the process.

It's like the Government continuing the war on drugs...arrest one supplier, 20 distributors, and 100 users, and there are 2 new suppliers, 50 new distributors, and 200 new users on the street then next day.

2/18/14 12:01 PM
I Wild Each It
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HarryPalms - hard to fathom how they can be so fucking stupid.

Day by day they do more to alienate their fan base almost intentionally than you would believe possible if it weren't happening before our very eyes.

They lower the quality, increase the price, and instead of listening to the list of concerns and complaints the VAST majority of fans and paying customers have, they insult our intelligence and call us names.

Then act upset when people choose not to pay for the product.

Its been pointed out too many times to need repeating, but the people stream because they either dont have access to PPV, don't have the money, or don't think the product is worth what it costs.
You can close every stream on the internet, but you won't be getting many of those people streaming coming to you as a paying customer. If any.

You will however create a massive base of people who hate your company with a passion and who will go out of their way to badmouth it.

Sounds like a sound business philosophy Zuffa is running with.

2/18/14 12:12 PM
MMAFriedRice
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They ain't doing too shabby in the rich list. Don't hate cuz we don't want to buy UFC shitty card for $60 but want to watch. Damn sometimes the UFC should refund the PPV cuz the event was so poor. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 12:15 PM
dabigchet

Herman Munster - 
dabigchet - i don't doubt that they have lost millions. it is a really difficult thing to measure though, and it very well might be doing more harm than good.

really there are 3 groups of PPV watchers

- never stream. there are really two groups here on opposite ends of the spectrum. first there are the hard cores who buy regularly, on the other end you have the casuals who don't follow that closely but know enough to be interested in a *big* PPV. obviously, streaming doesn't affect the revenue from these people

- then you have those who *always* stream. i think there is opportunity to squeeze some PPV purchases from this group, but by and large these are the people who are going to be the most tech saavy, the people least likely to be willing to spend $60, and frankly, the people less likely to have friends to watch fights with (they are "goofs")

- the third group of people is the biggest group. these are the people who buy PPVs when they are excited for them or can make plans with friends to watch it, and stream when they aren't that excited or don't have plans. the vast, vast majority of the time, i think, if this group could not get access to a stream, they are not going to change their mind and order up the PPV for $60. they have already made a decision that the card was not worth it when they started looking for a stream. most OGers are in this group, i think. further, because this group does order PPVs occasionally, does making streams unavailable to them help the bottom line, or hurt it?

In respect to "having friends to get together and watch the fights with". Let me just say, that shit gets old very fast. That may be appealing to people in their early 20's, but once you hit 30, if you are are getting together with your other 30 year old buddies to watch every single ppv event, you are actually the goof. I dont want to go out on a Saturday to a friends, watch the fights while trying to stay awake, then drive home at 1-2 am when the card is done. I'd rather be passed out on my couch by then.

So bascially if you fall into my catergory. You either buy the PPV, or you dont buy the PPV and lose all interest in the sport. That's great that people can throw $60 around regularly on shitty cards like it doesn't matter to their bottom line, but that is not the reality for many...It does matter to my bottom line, so now my choice is to lose interest. You either stream to stay interested as a fan of the sport, or you find something else to do and lose interest in sport completely, because buying is simply not an option for people who have more important financial priorities. The people who were calling this UFC shit a fad around TUF 1 were right.

i think it all depends on your circle of friends. its ridiculous (and kind of sad) to suggest once people hit 30 they should never,e ver go out on a saturday night. especially when we are talking about every couple months.

if i were someone who always watched PPVs myself, i would probably always stream. i don't think the value is there for 1 person. i don't mind ordering 1 or 2 a year though, and having a couple friends willing to do the same.
2/18/14 12:17 PM
dabigchet

Rambo John J - 

NFL costs 0 dollars to follow.

How do they make money???

its a real mystery why the UFC is turning down the billions in TV deals that the NFL gets. why are they so stupid, when they could just be the NFL?
2/18/14 12:17 PM
1man gangbang
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next dana will allow only one person per household to wath the ufc......This is getting like Lars Ulrich from Metallica.He is biting the hands that feed him.Who are the fans and fighters, not the other way around.
2/18/14 12:18 PM
1man gangbang
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they would ever have a stacked card like Pride did, I would not watch the streams.
2/18/14 12:29 PM
nastydirtysavage
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1man gangbang - If they would ever have a stacked card like Pride did, I would not watch the streams.
The irony that Dana thinks it's ok to stream good fights like those but everyone that streams ufc a watered down horse shit is ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.