UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rankings Update 2.18.14: Machida passes Jacare

2/18/14 12:32 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1293 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Following the Ultimate Fight Night 36, both Lyoto Machida and Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza claimed that they deserved the next middleweight title fight. Today, the new rankings from polled media members showed they collectively agreed that Lyoto  Machida was more deserving of the fight, ranking him higher:

Champion : Chris Weidman
1     Anderson Silva 
2     Vitor Belfort 
3     Lyoto Machida +1
4     Jacare Souza -1
5     Michael Bisping 
6     Luke Rockhold 
7     Mark Munoz 
8     Tim Kennedy +1 
9     Francis Carmont -1
10     Costas Philippou 
11     Tim Boetsch 
12     Gegard Mousasi *NR
13     Alan Belcher -1
14     Brad Tavares -1
15     Chael Sonnen *NR

view entire rankings...

De Souza was previously ranked in third and although he also won his fight at UFN 36, Lyoto Machida was perhaps more impressive and earned the third place ranking.

And despite a losing effort, Gegard Mousasi entered the rankings in the twelfth spot for his fight against Machida.

2/18/14 12:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HansVanBurgers
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Clever Marketing.
2/18/14 12:38 PM
teamquestnorth
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bisping #5 Sonnen #15? Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 12:39 PM
Jack Skellington
815 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup exactly. Dragon gets the winner of Weidman/Belfort and Jacare should get the loser.
2/18/14 12:40 PM
Aaron Becker

teamquestnorth - Bisping #5 Sonnen #15? Phone Post 3.0

I think Sonnen could beat everyone besides Weidman and Machida
2/18/14 12:41 PM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You sound like dana white. Might have something to do with the fact that Sonnen hasn't fought at mw since........

It makes me sick that not a single journalist called Dana out on that tirade last summer when he was complaining about Chael not being ranked or ranked low at mw, right after a fight where he competed at lhw!
2/18/14 12:42 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

teamquestnorth - Bisping #5 Sonnen #15? Phone Post 3.0
He hasnt fought at since 2012 Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 12:43 PM
iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz

iCameiLostiRetiredDiaz -
teamquestnorth - Bisping #5 Sonnen #15? Phone Post 3.0
He hasnt fought at since 2012 Phone Post 3.0
At MW* Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 12:43 PM
teamquestnorth
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aaron Becker -

I think he could take weidman.

Machida maybe not Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 12:49 PM
Aaron Becker

teamquestnorth - 
Aaron Becker -

I think he could take weidman.

Machida maybe not Phone Post 3.0

I'm on the fence about Weidman, Weidman might have good enough ttd but I don't think Belfort would even be that tough for Sonnen
2/18/14 12:49 PM
zackthewop
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is bisping ranked above rockhold?

Bisping has Zero wins against top ten guys and only one against top 15.

Rockhold has wins over Jacare, Costas, and Kennedy. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 1:04 PM
teamquestnorth

Mark munoz at 7 is laughable Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 1:48 PM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zackthewop - How is bisping ranked above rockhold?

God this gets old. You mean why is the British guy ranked? Everything else you said was bullshit. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 3:14 PM
AndersonSilvasMoney
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HansVanBurgers - Clever Marketing.

HansVanBurgers - Clever Marketing.

Bann - Gotta secure those Phillipino fans/contracts

You guys do realize that the UFC has nothing to do with the rankings and that they're voted on by the members of the media, right?
2/18/14 4:19 PM
graciesrule
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Jacare beats a higher ranked guy and moves down one and Machida beats a guy lower ranked than Jacares opponent and moves up one. Make sense, lol
2/18/14 5:10 PM
zackthewop
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimp Strength -

God this gets old. You mean why is the British guy ranked? Everything else you said was bullshit. Phone Post 3.0
How is everything I said bullshit. I like bisping but he shouldn't be ranked higher than a guy who has beat the better competition.

If the quality of your opponents doesn't matter what does? Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 6:39 PM
rockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait whut?

So Jacare beats a top 10 guy, Machida beats an unranked guy and leapfrogs Jacare????

What is this stupidity? Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 7:05 PM
ufc98newb
108 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rockwell - Wait whut?

So Jacare beats a top 10 guy, Machida beats an unranked guy and leapfrogs Jacare????

There is no formula that they have to follow. Each voter ranks according to who they think is the best. The voting was probably very close the last time, and some of the guys who think that Gegard is better than Carmont, probably flipped their vote to Machida after this weekend.

Pretty sure Machida would be favored in a matchup with Jacare, as well as Mousasi over Carmont. It all makes sense to me.
2/18/14 7:31 PM
Chimp Strength
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zackthewop - 
Chimp Strength -

How is everything I said bullshit. I like bisping but he shouldn't be ranked higher than a guy who has beat the better competition.

It's bulshit because Bisping has beaten two top ten ranked UFC opponents as they were ranked at the time he beat them.  Rockhold has beaten one top ten ranked UFC fighter at the time he beat them.  Kennedy has only just made it into the top ten, so if Bisping beats him he will have 3 top ten UFC victories to Rockholds 1.

Add to that the fact that Rockhold has a 1-1 record in the UFC and it's pretty obvious why Bisping is ranked higher than him.  If that isn't clear to you I dont know what else to say.

2/18/14 8:16 PM
comeonman1
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ufc98newb - 
rockwell - Wait whut?

There is no formula that they have to follow. Each voter ranks according to who they think is the best. The voting was probably very close the last time, and some of the guys who think that Gegard is better than Carmont, probably flipped their vote to Machida after this weekend.

Pretty sure Machida would be favored in a matchup with Jacare, as well as Mousasi over Carmont. It all makes sense to me.

Couldn't have said it better.

I think most would agree that Mousasi is better then Carmont even though Carmont was ranked higher, this is the reason Machida leap frogged Souza.

I think most would agree that Machida would beat Souza most times as well.

Not a fan of rankings as the UFC will have the #9 fight for a title if it will sell lots off PPV's (see Sonnen) but at least it gives everyone a general idea where everyone is ranked.
2/18/14 8:24 PM
rockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

comeonman1 -
ufc98newb - 
rockwell - Wait whut?

I think most would agree that Mousasi is better then Carmont even though Carmont was ranked higher, this is the reason Machida leap frogged Souza.

Not a fan of rankings as the UFC will have the #9 fight for a title if it will sell lots off PPV's (see Sonnen) but at least it gives everyone a general idea where everyone is ranked.
The same people who did these ranking also did the last rankings!

So while I agree that Mousasi is better than Carmont THEY don't and in fact have only just ranked him #12 following his loss!

So by THEIR OWN rankings Mousasi wasn't as good as Carmont before the fight and still isn't.

So they've basically just undermined their own rankings. Phone Post 3.0
2/18/14 8:29 PM
ufc98newb

rockwell - 
comeonman1 -
ufc98newb - 
rockwell - Wait whut?

The same people who did these ranking also did the last rankings!

So while I agree that Mousasi is better than Carmont THEY don't and in fact have only just ranked him #12 following his loss!

So by THEIR OWN rankings Mousasi wasn't as good as Carmont before the fight and still isn't.

So they've basically just undermined their own rankings. Phone Post 3.0

true, but I think Mousasi wasn't ranked because he hadn't fought at mw in a few years. Of course, that brings up the question of why Sonnen is ranked there, currently.

2/18/14 10:00 PM
zackthewop

Chimp Strength -
zackthewop - 
Chimp Strength -

It's bulshit because Bisping has beaten two top ten ranked UFC opponents as they were ranked at the time he beat them.  Rockhold has beaten one top ten ranked UFC fighter at the time he beat them.  Kennedy has only just made it into the top ten, so if Bisping beats him he will have 3 top ten UFC victories to Rockholds 1.

Add to that the fact that Rockhold has a 1-1 record in the UFC and it's pretty obvious why Bisping is ranked higher than him.  If that isn't clear to you I dont know what else to say.

Makes sense except these are mma rankings and dont only include ufc fighte. Yes rockhold is 1-1 in the ufc and bisping is 2-2 in his Last four fights.

Bisping has never beat someone as good as Jacare either. Bisping has lost against every top 10 fighter he has fought Besides stann. Unless Belcher was top ten at the time? I don't Remember.

Either way rockhold has beat the better fighters therefore he should be ranked higher. Phone Post 3.0
2/19/14 12:30 AM
MisterHawkeMMA

zackthewop - How is bisping ranked above rockhold?

The rankings are pretty obviously illogical. But what we should be taking notice of, is that this is the best that the MW division has ever looked. There are like 8 guys that could be the champion two years from now. And not because the champ gave up his title like Welter or Feather, but because the great (maybe greatest) champion was dethroned.... convincingly.

Hopefully Evans moves down. I've always wanted to see him at Middle.
2/19/14 1:18 AM
Captain_Underpants

Everyone is making a big deal about Spots and stuff, but how is no one bothered by the #1 spot pick? I mean I understand, it's Anderson, the arguable greatest of all time. But the man has lost two in a row, whether or not you think it's a fluke doesn't matter, he lost. So how is he still ranked #1? Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.