UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Eye details cicumstances around positive test

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/20/14 11:03 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Earlier this month, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which regulates mixed martial arts in the Lone Star State, announced they had fined UFC women's bantamweight Jessica Eye $1,875, changed her split decision win over Sarah Kaufman to a No Contest, and subjected her to an administrative suspension that ensures she pays the fine, and otherwise complies with TDLR requirements. The cause of the sanctions was a positive test for marijuana following her fight with Kaufman at UFC 166 in October.

At a recent media event, UFC president Dana White related information about the test.

Brett Okamoto ‏@bokamotoESPN
According to Dana, Jessica Eye had 16 ng/ML marijuana metabolites. Texas threshold is 15. Most states are 50. Nevada is 150 ng/ML.

Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing Programs have a cutoff of 50 ng/ML. World Anti-Doping Agency has a threshold of 150 ng/ML. Eye was at 11% of the level that would have been okay for the Olympics. No fighter should compete high, or for that matter drunk, but penalizing someone for 16 ng/ML is a vestigial regulation.

A letter from Eye to the TDLR was obtained by MixedMartialArts.com through an Open Records Request, and in it, the fighter details that the positive test was due to second hand smoke.

November 22, 2013

Dear Mrs. Winston,

I am writing you today in regards to my recent test results from UFC 166 in Houston. I first wanted to thank you in advance for your time and for allowing me the opportunity to explain my position. As one of the few professional female athletes currently competing in the UFC, I can't express you how upset and more than disappointed I am in myself for even being in this situation. I have worked extremely hard at my craft over the last 6 plus years to put myself in a position of influence where I really feel I can make a difference in not only our sport but beyond. I consider myself a role model and understand that as a professional athlete who is competing at the highest level of his or her sport, that I also have an obligation to be a leader and positive role model. The reason I tell you this is so you can understand how crushing this has been for me. Beyond the opportunity to make a living doing something I love to do, to me its more important to have the opportunity to continue to be a role model and affective people in a positive way.

Mrs. Winston, I assure you that I am not nor have I ever been the type of person to put anything unhealthy in body, let alone and illegal narcotic. In addition, I am well aware of the other athletes who have thrown away their careers over substance abuse issues and I could never understand how someone in that position would risk jeopardizing their career over drugs or alcohol.

I am not the type of person who makes excuses and can admit Im wring when Ive made a mistake. In this case, the mistake I made was trusting my family and not trusting my instincts sooner. From the time I was a teenager, my father and I have not been on the best of terms due to his own substance abuse issues which I was forced to move out of his home when I was a 18. As a young girl I saw the damage and destruction drugs and alcohol can cause and how it can tear a family apart. Well my family was not immune and unfortunately it took a very ugly incident recently to finally allow me to move forward with my life without my father.

Approximately 4 weeks or so prior to my UFC debut in Houston, I had decided to give my father another chance to get back into my life. As you can understand, I was very emotional leading up to my fight and was eager for any support I could get from family, friends and especially my father. After numerous apologies and attempts to make amends with me, I finally decided to give my father another chance and attend a family get together in my honor which he hosted at his residence, The get together involved mostly family members form his side along with many of my friends and even a few of my sponsors who had all come together to watch the fight the evening. What transpired that night , will be with me for my entire life and is what I feel may have led to the traces of marijuana that were found to be in my system.

Upon arrival at my fathers house, I noticed immediately that they had been drinking. Against my better judgment, I decided to stay and avoid another confrontation with my father especially with anyone else in attendance. As the evening progressed, the alcohol would eventually turn into marijuana. As my father and several of his friends began to smoke in the living room where we were watching the UFC, I politely asked him to stop smoking or id be forced to leave. Not only did he refuse, but he became irate and began to physically attack me in front of all of our guests. Luckily my friends and brother were able to separate us and get m out of there relative unharmed, but this would surely be one of the darkest and most humiliating moments of my life. Needless to say, I did not call the police in order to avoid this getting out in public as I knew I need to be distraction free heading into the biggest fight of my career. Looking back, I truly wish I would have filed a report not my benefit, but to share my story with others in hopers of stopping this from happening to even one other person. I sincerely feel this is what led to my test results as I have been around any other smokers for years prior to or since that night.

Mrs. Winston, I am not claiming to be completely innocent and realize I am in this position because of my actions. But I will tell you with all sincerity that I would never, ever gamble with my career or take for granted the opportunities I have in front of me. I would even ask you to contact Ohio Athletic Commission Executive Director Bernie Profato who Im confident will validate what I am writing you as far as my family history and this particular incident. Since then, ive actually gone public with my story and did an in depth interview with a reporter who went ahead and published an article about my relations with my father. Id be happy to forward this article to you upon request.

In closing, id like to thank you again for your time and consideration with this matter. Please get back to me or my manager Greg and let us know what the next step in the process will be. I am eager to put this behind me and start the next positive chapter of my life and what I hope will be a long career with the UFC.

Sincerely,

Jessica Eye

Multiple studies have shown that 16 ng/ML is consistent with passive smoking:
•The first study was conducted by Perez-Reyes and co-workers in 1983. (1-3) The study consisted of three different experiments; one conducted in an automobile, and two in a small room. Of the specimens collected for analysis, two specimens were found positive for THC metabolites by the EMIT screening test at a cutoff level of 20 ng/ml.
•Morland et al. (5) performed a study in which subjects in a car smoked marijuana... The subjects passively exposed to marijuana smoke did show occasional urine specimens that were positive at concentrations ranging from 14 to 30 ng/ml of total THC metabolites.

Shortly after the incident described above, Eye's father Randy, 55, was diagnosed with stage IV glioblastoma multiforme, the same form of brain cancer that Ted Kennedy succumbed to. The pair have since reconciled.

"I’m mad at myself for maybe not noticing things sooner myself, that maybe the reason why he was acting the way he was was because of the tumor," said Eye in an interview with UFC.com. "They even said that the tumor was changing his behavior and it was. He’s always kind of a testy person, but it was making him very aggravated and distant, and I couldn’t understand it. He just wasn’t the same. So when I got the news about it, it brought down my world a little bit and made me feel real bad about the way things went down before my big debut. I’m very hopeful that I’m going to be back in the Octagon soon enough that my dad will get to actually see me.”

Eye's wish has come true, she fights Alexis Davis at UFC 170 on Saturday night at the top of the FOX Sports 1 portion of the card, which starts at 8:00 p.m.

Eye has set up a GoFundMe site to defray her father’s medical costs and aid in his fight.

2/20/14 11:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
eljamaiquino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Throw poppa from the train.... Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:14 AM
2JupitersTooMany
1795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Second hand smoke. I was just wondering about what sort of levels that could actually result in, being in the middle of an interview process and having friends who smoke.

2/20/14 11:15 AM
ChicagoTom
548 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this the same dude who has cancer and the UG was helping raise money for? Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:16 AM
2JupitersTooMany
1795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe she's legit, but I was inclined to think it couldn't have all that much of an effect.

2/20/14 11:16 AM
Kirik
2457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/14 11:16 AM
The UnderGround, Mayor
2JupitersTooMany - 

Second hand smoke. I was just wondering about what sort of levels that could actually result in, being in the middle of an interview process and having friends who smoke.

Depends on what level the prospective employer uses. Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing Programs have a cutoff of 50 ng/ML. No test has ever shown passive inhalation reached that level.

2/20/14 11:29 AM
FlyingKnee_bar

I love how she says she is not the type of person to make excuses then immediately makes a huge excuse.

jeez just admit that you may have taken a puff or even got a contact high, i dont understand why all this drama why throw your family under the bus like that

After alll her BS im pretty inclined to hate her and not watch her fight
2/20/14 11:38 AM
2JupitersTooMany

Kirik - 
2JupitersTooMany - 

Depends on what level the prospective employer uses. Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing Programs have a cutoff of 50 ng/ML. No test has ever shown passive inhalation reached that level.

This is the especially troublesome part for me:

"Approximately 4 weeks or so prior to my UFC debut in Houston..."

Was this testing done after the fight, or around fight time?

A routine smoker can have traces of metabolites in their system for, say, a few weeks.  But that time drops for someone who is active, sweating and who has low body fat.

And she had merely second-hand smoke on one day?

Insert Jake Shields gif

FETT_GayFerPayNINJA

FlyingKnee_bar - I love how she says she is not the type of person to make excuses then immediately makes a huge excuse.

jeez just admit that you may have taken a puff or even got a contact high, i dont understand why all this drama why throw your family under the bus like that

Someone didnt bother to read the full article or look up the amount in her system relatively speaking... Phone Post 3.0
Morpheus1976
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think second hand smoking is not possible, just used as an excuse by athletes around the world.
2/20/14 11:40 AM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FlyingKnee_bar - I love how she says she is not the type of person to make excuses then immediately makes a huge excuse.

Shut up and read...faggit. Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:46 AM
2JupitersTooMany

2/20/14 11:48 AM
Mayhem13
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Morpheus1976 - i think second hand smoking is not possible, just used as an excuse by athletes around the world.
.16 ng

That is barely anything at all and could absolutely be from 2nd hand.

Its not even close to the cutoff for any other commission or Olympic testing even...TX is the only place in the USA where she would be over the limit for that amount.

And she isnt one to throw family under the bus. My guess would be thats why she initially tried to distract the cause to blood thinners, cause she didnt want anything to possibly fall back on her family.

I'd imagine her father told her to stop trying to protect him and just tell em what happened. Which is why she did now. Phone Post 3.0
Freddie Gavaria
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FlyingKnee_bar - I love how she says she is not the type of person to make excuses then immediately makes a huge excuse.

I'm inclined to believe her. Why would she throw her cancer stricken father under the bus for something as trivial as this, were it not the truth? She also named several witnesses who theoretically the commission could reach out to in order to verify the information. This also kind of explains her evasiveness in that MMA Hour interview. Now if I'm wrong, and she is lying, then she has a real problem with truth bordering on the pathological.
FETT_GayFerPayNINJA

Morpheus1976 - i think second hand smoking is not possible, just used as an excuse by athletes around the world.
With verified studies that back it up....

Thats some intricate conspiracy there fren. Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:49 AM
2JupitersTooMany

Mayhem, how long after that alleged incident was this test taken?  I assume the studies referenced above were people who tested right after exposure. 

2/20/14 11:50 AM
Rockstars
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alcohol quickly turned to marijuana OHH NOOO!! Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:53 AM
Mayhem13
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here -
Mayhem13 -
.16 ng

That is barely anything at all and could absolutely be from 2nd hand.

Its not even close to the cutoff for any other commission or Olympic testing even...TX is the only place in the USA where she would be over the limit for that amount.

And she isnt one to throw family under the bus. My guess would be thats why she initially tried to distract the cause to blood thinners, cause she didnt want anything to possibly fall back on her family.

I'd imagine her father told her to stop trying to protect him and just tell em what happened. Which is why she did now. Phone Post 3.0
Any other assumption you wish to make at this time? Or are you in fact her father Phone Post 3.0
I'm just basing my assumptions off of knowing some of the people involved in this situation.

So while every detail may not be 100% accurate in my assumption...I'd be willing to bet they are pretty damn close. Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:54 AM
Mayhem13

2JupitersTooMany -

Mayhem, how long after that alleged incident was this test taken?  I assume the studies referenced above were people who tested right after exposure. 

I don't know the exact testing date. So I can't really answer that question. Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:55 AM
2JupitersTooMany

That's the important question. Thost studies are useless if the timing doesn't match.  I always assumed this was post-fight drug testing.  If so, an entire month passed.  It just defies reason that an incredibly active top level athlete with low body fat would test positive one month after contact with second hand smoke on one day.

2/20/14 11:58 AM
JonnyW
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany - 
Kirik - 
2JupitersTooMany - 

A routine smoker can have traces of metabolites in their system for, say, a few weeks.  But that time drops for someone who is active, sweating and who has low body fat.

Insert Jake Shields gif

Yeah, this is suspect. I doubt second hand smoke will show after three weeks.

2/20/14 11:59 AM
JonnyW
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

or four weeks even.

2/20/14 12:04 PM
clown makeup

Test taken immediately before the event on October 19th. 1 month after the passive smoking event.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/2054627/021014-UFC-Jessica-Eye-Legal-P2.vadapt.955.medium.95.jpg

Test results of people sitting in a room playing cards smoking cannibis for 3 hours while others don't :

http://www.norchemlab.com/client-resources/resource-center/drug-testing-info/passive-inhalation-of-marijuana-smoke-and-urine-drug-test-results/

2/20/14 12:06 PM
Josh_underground
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany -

That's the important question. Thost studies are useless if the timing doesn't match.  I always assumed this was post-fight drug testing.  If so, an entire month passed.  It just defies reason that an incredibly active top level athlete with low body fat would test positive one month after contact with second hand smoke on one day.

This. 4 weeks after getting a contact high? That doesn't make much sense at all. Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 12:13 PM
MountainMedic
1012 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2JupitersTooMany -
Kirik - 
2JupitersTooMany - 

Insert Jake Shields gif

Her story makes little sense from a physiology standpoint. In the given timeframe she should gave been well flushed out. Everybody is different & weird shit happens, coupled with the fact that women carry more body fat her account is plausible, but so unlikely that it makes her a statistical outlier. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.