UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> MacDonald looking to have title in 2014

2/20/14 11:15 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

For a while it looked like Rory MacDonald was on his way to a title shot. With five straight wins, and St-Pierre taking a hiatus, a win over Robbie Lawler would have gotten him there.

Unfortunately MacDonald would lost a decision to Lawler, who earned a title shot with the win, but MacDonald believes that fight was only a set back and looks to contend for the title this year:

"This is what I wanted," MacDonald said. "I didn't want to sit on the sidelines for too long and be pouting about the last fight. Being able to jump right back into training camp helped me get my mind off of things and helped pick up my spirits. Now, it has me looking in the direction of the title.

"With Georges stepping away, [Johny] Hendricks fighting Robbie [Lawler] and the other fights on that card in March, it has really opened the doorway for everyone in the top 10 of the division to really make their mark. I'm really looking and motivated to have that belt around my waist this year."

read entire article...

2/20/14 11:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hendofanforlife
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly dont know if hes champ material anymore

2/20/14 11:27 PM
sockeye
228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/14 11:27 PM
His point fighting won't work well with Hendrix or Lawler
2/20/14 11:30 PM
DevilsAdvocate
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'd probably be fighting Hendricks if he hadn't lost to Robbie. They were slow walking him to build a viable contender for gsp. In the meantime GSP lost a step and Rory has gotten a bit boring and stale. Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:31 PM
Molsonmuscle360
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he leaves Tristar I could see it. But if he sticks to Firas' point fighting strategies then he'll get beat by the upper echelon guys.

If he goes back to the Rory that gave Condit a great go when he was like 21, that guy could be a champ.
2/20/14 11:31 PM
inf0
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia.

2/20/14 11:37 PM
MexiCain AmeriCain
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No chance Phone Post 3.0
2/20/14 11:40 PM
tumn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

keep dreaming
2/20/14 11:41 PM
Milk Machine
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he brings back how he went after condit and nate i could see it Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 2:53 AM
Subzero90

Briggy - 
Molsonmuscle360 - If he leaves Tristar I could see it. But if he sticks to Firas' point fighting strategies then he'll get beat by the upper echelon guys.

If he goes back to the Rory that gave Condit a great go when he was like 21, that guy could be a champ.
Firas doesnt tell you to point fight. If you go on fight pass, you could watch the fight from Rorys corner and you could hear Firas telling Rory to be more aggressive and punish robbie in the 3rd when he saw robbie getting tired. Plus whenever Rory was laying on him, Firas telling him to work. Rory made the decision himself to be boring. Why the hell would he leave tristar when he has the #1 guy in his weightclass as a sparring partner. He's only 23 so he's not even close to peaking. He'll improve Phone Post 3.0

It's less about what Firas says in his corner and more how he instructs him during training.

2/21/14 3:02 AM
T.K.O.
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2015 maybe, definitely not this year, he needs to improve much more if he wants to best Hendricks. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 5:49 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
400 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only way he gets a belt in 2014 is if Mike Ricci buys him one to go with his shoes. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 6:34 AM
MattBFD
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maia subs him. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 6:37 AM
HULC
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robbie needs to change his mentality more than he needs to upgrade his techniques.
2/21/14 6:38 AM
Lick Boners

sockeye - His point fighting won't work well with Hendrix or Lawler

Would've loved to see two extra rounds in the Rory-Lawler fight, Rory didn't quit and was throwing good GNP in the end
2/21/14 7:25 AM
Pitbull3744

Yeeeeeeah

No. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.