UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Campbell McLaren AMA: UFC cofounder, Cmbt AMRs CEO

2/21/14 3:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kirik
1627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/21/14 3:57 PM
The UnderGround, Mayor

Campbell McLaren AMA: UFC cofounder, and Ceo of Combate Americas

Sunday, 5:00 p.m. ET

UFC Co-founder Campbell McLaren will be doing an AMA on the UG Sunday at 5:00 p.m. ET. The AMA is to promote his latest effort, Combate Americas.

An MIT and UC-Berkley grad, McLaren his career as the talent director for the legendary comedy clubs Catch A Rising Star and Caroline’s.

As  Executive Producer for Semaphore Entertainment Group (SEG), in just six months McLaren developed, branded, and promoted the inaugural Ultimate Fighting Championship.

McLaren has been involved in countless successful media projects since, including co-founding Zilo Networks, which became the nation's largest dorm-room television network, launching the hugely popular website CollegeHumor.com, creating and producing both TuNite con Lorenzo Parro, the first U.S. bilingual talk show, and Comedy Salsa, HBO's first Hispanic comedy special, Comedy Salsa.

His latest venture is Combate Americas, Inc., the first Hispanic MMA sports franchise which includes a reality TV series for NBCU's mun2 network, live events, and mobile programming. He serves as CEO.

Please feel free to leave respectful questions for Mr. McLaren over the weekend. He will come on the site Sunday at 5:00 p.m. ET, and reply to appropriate questions, as well as any further questions that might be posted at that time.

For more information on Combate Americas, please check out:

Web

Maxim mag interview...

MCLAREN THEN:

AND NOW:

2/21/14 3:41 PM
Kirik
1627 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

First Look: mun2 COMBATE AMERICAS Trailer

2/21/14 3:44 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
"Level" Martinez, one of the stars of the Combate Americas reality series, is the Hispanic Kimbo Slice due to the legion of fans he's gained from his bare knuckle fights on YouTube.  Kimbo actually appears in one or two of the videos, because they both fought on the same bare knuckle circuit in Miami.

"Level" is also the fighter who submitted former boxing champ Ricardo Mayorga in that MMA fight in Nicaragua recently, beforetaping of the show began. He is a former gang member who nearly died before becoming a born-again Christian and a trained MMA fighter.  

2/21/14 3:45 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor

"I think I’ve got very interesting new fighters," McLaren told Maxim mag. "I didn’t go and try to find guys that had been released from UFC contracts, we got a bunch of new guys. There’s Rene “Level” Martinez – he’s being called the Hispanic Kimbo Slice. He’s a pretty interesting guy; four years in prison, found the straight and narrow - which for him meant beating guys up in back yards for money, you know, because they’re fighters. But we’re glad to have him on the show, he’s a great guy. His fighting style is intimidation. He looks at them, because he has that sort of prison stare, you know, like “I don’t give a f--- - I don’tgive a f---.”

2/21/14 3:48 PM
Kirik

The UnderGround, Mayor
Combate Americas debuts on mun2, the leading Hispanic entertainment cable network, on Sunday, February 23rd at 10:00p.m. EST/ 9:00p.m. CST. The series, follows the lives of ten Hispanic MMA fighters as they compete, coexist and face the daily challenges set before them to win an exclusive contract with the new Combate Americas franchise. 

The series will give an in-depth look at the fighters from a very personal perspective of where they come from, who they are and what made them become MMA professionals. An inside look at not only the challenges set to these individuals to achieve a spot in the franchise but as well, the real-life dedication, sacrifice and adversity that living within and from this growing popular sport demands to make it to la Jaula (the Cage).

The competition series will reward a contract to one fighter in two weight classes: featherweight and welterweight.
2/21/14 4:00 PM
1800champagne
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. Really enjoyed him on Rogan's podcast. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 4:27 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you first started the company, did just see an opportunity to make some money, or did you think/know you were creating an actual sport?

Now there's talk about it being in the Olympics some day. Did you think that far out in '93? Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 4:34 PM
torquemada
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many times did you have to get Tank out of trouble? Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 4:41 PM
Wooter18
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Early. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 5:18 PM
glock4life
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who was your favorite fighter to work with in the old UFC days? Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 5:23 PM
Cojendo
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Were there any high level wrestlers or judoka that weren't allowed in or blown off in the first few UFCs? I always wondered about if hand picked "tough guys" were brought in to showcase GJJ/BJJ. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 5:34 PM
6ULDV8
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/21/14 5:35 PM

Did Campbell see Rorian Gracie on Three's Company?

My grandmother used to watch that with me and laugh her ass off, and say 'Nothing gives you a good gut-belly laugh like a faggot like Jack living together with Janet and Chrissy!  He's not even a faggot!

Oh my God my stomach hurts it's so funny!

Rorian Gracie had a guest appearance on my grandmother's favorite show of all time, besides maybe 'Another World' or 'General Hospital'.

Anyway, Rorian Gracie was on Three's Company even before Mel Gibson triangled Gary Busey on Lethal Weapon.

And Campbell McLaren bought into that, and so did Royce Gracie, and his brother Rorian, who was on Three's Company, my grandmother's favorite show, and Helio.

TTT

2/21/14 6:01 PM
teamquestnorth

I have a couple of questions about the UU 96 and hope they're deemed appropriate.

1. In your opinion was Ken Shamrock really injured when he pulled out after the first round or did his nerves get to him or maybe he just thought he would lose against tank?

2. Don Frye vs Mark Hall is widely regarded as a fixed fight. Whats your opinion on this? Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 6:17 PM
sparkuri

Looks like he's making the rounds Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 8:05 PM
MMA Playwright
609 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. How would Dan Quinn have done in UFC 1?

2. Would Dan Quinn dominate the UFC now, if the rules prohibited kicks and takedowns?

3. Have you tried stevia?

4. Will you post Dan Quinn's bond so that he can get out and start getting the word out about stevia?

5. Have you seen "The Play™" by Dan Quinn, back when he was the best player on a talented Notre Dame squad?

Thank you in advance.
2/21/14 8:09 PM
MMA Playwright
609 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay, let's go with something different than my last set of questions:

Are you in touch with John Perretti? What do you think of his new sport, if you know of it, which is described as a combat sport with a ball involved?

Also, what is your opinion of XARM, if you have one?
2/21/14 8:19 PM
Bench
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for history. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 8:37 PM
crowbar
665 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to know just how much of a percentage would you say that Rorion Gracie contributed to making the UFC,besides introducing his family?

Was he one of the actual investors of WOW Promotions?

2/21/14 8:52 PM
Pontious_Pilates
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 9:13 PM
garrote
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subbing this shit. The Rogan podcast with him was great. Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 9:18 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How badly did SEG want to book Tank vs Shamrock? And what was the main roadblock for this fight never happening? Phone Post 3.0
2/21/14 9:26 PM
William Colosimo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt!
2/21/14 11:32 PM
CaliKush
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hes a silly billy on jre, i like him

2/22/14 1:22 AM
BENNY_BLANCO_FROM_THE_BRONX1

In Phone Post 3.0
2/22/14 1:23 AM
Greg Southworth

I'm interviewing him on my OKC radio show this Thursday. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.