UnderGround Forums

Scott Sonnon >> ROSS Maxim...

4/23/02 2:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
saxon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Apr-02 03:09 PM

Scott, I was wondering if you could clarify something I read a while ago on the Amerross forum. The statement was "It's a Ross maxim to maintain contact with the opponent until the threat is neutralized." I was wondering if this statement held for any context (Military CQB, Sport, Civilian Self-defence, etc.) or was related to a specific theater of conflict. Are there situations where (lets say you and your opponent are striking unattached and then flow into the clinch) where a ROSS practitioner would break contact and return to a longer range? And I was also curious about why ROSS prefers to "saturate intention", basically getting the opponent to the ground, rather than vital target striking. I don't know if your Fisticuffs series answers these questions; watching Shockability and IOUF kind of spawned them. Thanks, Brian
4/23/02 4:14 PM
socal
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 23-Apr-02
With ROSS your the BOSS ;-) Socal
4/24/02 11:47 PM
Sonnon

Edited: 24-Apr-02
Brian, Great questions. Let me know if these responses fit the bill. 1. RE: unbreaking contact. "Unbreaking Contact" refers to more than physical contact. It alludes to, as you astutely tie the connection, "Saturation of Intention." I'll address this point in response to your second question. Disengaging the enemy remains the goal of (civilian) defensive tactics and (military) combatives. Both (law enforcement) Subject Control and (athletic) Combat Sport exclude this goal, since in both strategies actors attempt to "secure" the threat. There exist exceptions to this tactic [Unbreaking Contact] in both Subject Control and Combat Sport. In Subject Control, disengaging the subject to access implements, communication, non-combatants, or other combatants frequently presents themselves as necessary tactics. In Combat Sport, disengaging the opponent in order to fatigue his energy, to create an opportunity, or to await an opportunity present themselves as viable tactics. The benefit of "Unbreaking Contact" lay in the exclusion this tactic has held in conventional 'collide and deflect' tactics, typical of "point sparring" mentality. Most people fight like pinballs, bouncing off of others and the environment without control. Most people fight as if one or two or three strikes or grappling maneuvers suffices for ending the conflict. Many people due to this ineffective, one-dimensional training protocol lack an understanding of how to receive sudden, sustained force, as well as how to administer sudden, sustained force. Training with the "Unbreaking Contact" protocol allows one to appreciate a more comprehensive rhythm to combat, regardless of venue. 2. RE: the absence of the protocol of "Vital Targetting" - Even with 40 or 50 years of training, fighting with the INTENTION to access minute, specific locations, with fine motor skills, possesses slim to no chance of survivability and effectiveness. Before the pressure point gumballs and cape-wearing esoteric Wonder Twins attack my statement... "with the INTENTION." Under the stress of combat's chaos, fine motor skills deteriorate immediately... no matter how many decades of skill repetition. With SHOCK ENGINEERING as the protocol, one seizes the opponent's "will" to fight - a mechanism presented in-depth in FISTICUFFS, sending the opponent into the VORTEX while elevating oneself into the ZONE. One finds an amazingly powerful BY-PRODUCT of SHOCK ENGINEERING: Collateral Damage, or "incidental trauma." When one establishes the protocol of attacking the opponent's "opportunity" and "intention," rather than gaming with the counter/counter-counter chessmatch of "abilities," one incidentally accesses traumatic zones, vulnerable areas, painful points of the body... TARGET FIXATION happens often when one INTENDS to access one of these areas, and as a result, one becomes unaware of the passing fight variables... one lacks proper attentional strength to be present in the fight. Again, see FISTICUFFS for an in-depth presentation of this material. I'm glad to read you're really engaging my articles. Your insightful questions demonstrate that you've latched on to key principles. Fraternal, Scott
4/25/02 3:35 PM
saxon

Edited: 25-Apr-02
Scott- That's excellent, just what I was looking for. The pinball metaphor really made sense to me....I've noticed in sparring against opponents who are at or above the ability level that I am (unless you are lucky enough to slip in with an overwhelming blitz), that there tends to be a flurry when you both engage, and then a backing off/catching your wind period, which continues throughout the round. Even in grappling , there tends to be these active vs. stalling periods. I need to work on my ability to produce and receive force in a relaxed fashion....by the way, your breathing tape has made a big difference in the way I pace myself in a variety of physical activities. Thanks, Brian
4/29/02 2:19 PM
Sonnon

Edited: 29-Apr-02
Brian, I just wanted to quickly revisit this topic. Consider the "Control-Pause" as a "Tactical Stall" to normalize respiration (when facing aerobic debt in a ballistic phase of the fight), as well as recover heart rate to a level where complex and fine motor skills are accessible to you. Fraternal, Scott
5/1/02 7:01 PM
saxon

Edited: 01-May-02
Scott- You're talking about the "retention" pause after exhalation, right? On the breathing tape, retention after inhalation and exhalation are shown, so I'm just making sure. And by the way, I was reading about your current weighted uphill Fartlek/Tabata sprinting for "mental toughness" on the Amerross forum and have concluded you're either nuts or in extremely good shape.... Thanks, Bri
5/2/02 6:57 AM
Cilian McHugh

Edited: 02-May-02
/you're either nuts or in extremely good shape.... / I don't think the two are mutually exclusive :-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.