UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> How do mma fighters take shots to the nose?

2/25/14 2:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gritty
905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Over and over and not drop like a sack of potatoes. Lebron got smack in the nose the other game and was dropped for a few minutes. If you turned and got a basketball pass off the nose you couldn't shake that off, you'd instantly drop and hold your face. Look what happened to Marsha Brady

Getting hit in nose is pretty much my biggest fear in life. My kid will hit it by accident and it immediately reminds me how I could never box or do mma even if I could or wanted to

Yet mma dudes are taking elbows and jabs over and over and keep going. Obviously tougher than normal people but is it overcoming instinct reaction or do you literally feel less pain when sparring for years? Either way, fuck that

Any of you guys that spar or fight still have a fear of getting hit on or breaking your nose?

Wanna puke thinking of it Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 2:37 PM
Bry Bry
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wonder this as well..i have gotten jabbed in the nose or nailed with a basketball and im crushed for a little bit..lol..my toughness goes out the window..
2/25/14 2:37 PM
Got Reach
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it's not that bad to get punched in the nose. It's stronger than you think it is. Have you ever broken your nose? Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 2:39 PM
Gritty
905 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Got Reach - Yeah it's not that bad to get punched in the nose. It's stronger than you think it is. Have you ever broken your nose? Phone Post 3.0
I wouldn't be here to talk about it if I did, lol Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 2:41 PM
ShaqNoob
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Getting slammed in the nose. Fucks you all up. You get that pain shootin' through your brain, your eyes fill up with water. That ain't any kind of fun, but what I have to offer you, that's as good as it's gonna get."

- Vincenzo Coccotti
2/25/14 2:42 PM
Gritty

Sherk's screaming reaction to gsp's elbow to his nose is what seems normal to me Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 2:45 PM
Judontkneedthisname3744

Especially the eyes watering, any time i get a good shot in the nose my eyes water like fucking crazy. 

2/25/14 2:47 PM
5pointer

a basketball game is diff then a fight, fighers clinch 1 and are expecting to be hit.. if u got elbowed in the nose during a basketball game of course u will drop. its not a fight so dropping is ok, if u knew the elbow was coming ud clinch and be ready. plus if u knew there were a lot more elbows coming and u had to defend yourself that would also chnge things.
2/25/14 2:50 PM
Lobo8

I like basketball and i like soccer. But the truth is that both sports are filled to the brim with babies that will cry over any fall or little bumps.
2/25/14 2:51 PM
zebers3
472 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judontkneedthisname3744 - 

Especially the eyes watering, any time i get a good shot in the nose my eyes water like fucking crazy. 

Exactly this haha imagine if dudes in the UFC just had tears rolling down their faces the whole time while they fought.

2/25/14 2:51 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Adrenaline plays a huge part in not feeling it. Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 2:54 PM
RearNakedToke
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap - Adrenaline plays a huge part in not feeling it. Phone Post 3.0
Yeah I never feel pain when sparring but afterwards I feel like I was in a car accident. I got kicked in the face with shoes on and broke my nose. I didn't even notice it until adrenaline wore off and my face felt horrible. Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 2:56 PM
Tilla

My biggest fear as well.

The yelp by Sherk was sickening. GDP must have got him good.
2/25/14 2:57 PM
chawkins
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look what happened to Marsha Brady

Hahaha you bastard, I almost spit out my coffee when I read this.
2/25/14 2:58 PM
Gritty

Lobo8 - I like basketball and i like soccer. But the truth is that both sports are filled to the brim with babies that will cry over any fall or little bumps.
Maybe, but I'm talking about the natural human reaction.

Was it Andre Roberts in UFC who took one clean nose shot and dropped and lost? That's what I expect Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 3:05 PM
Tilla

Rizzo caught Arlovski with a bomb on the nose, IIRC?
2/25/14 4:07 PM
staygreenponyboy
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShaqNoob - "Getting slammed in the nose. Fucks you all up. You get that pain shootin' through your brain, your eyes fill up with water. That ain't any kind of fun, but what I have to offer you, that's as good as it's gonna get."

- Vincenzo Coccotti

Solid. VU.
2/25/14 4:09 PM
Il Duce
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was doing some clinch work in Muay Thai about a month ago, there were a few pairs of guys working in the ring, and I got swept hard into another guy's elbow. I hit it nose first, at speed, and felt it crunch. It wasn't a bad break at all, but after a minute I was good to continue as it wasn't bleeding much at the time. Later, when I looked in the mirror it was clear my nose shifted over and my eyes started to go black. My nose kind of leaked blood for a couple days and was tender, but it wasn't as bad as I'd have imagined.

How Cung Le reacted to that kick from Wand escapes me. That shit was nasty. But he was in a fight and expected to get hit, James didn't. James is tough, those guys are really physical and while it isn't a "fight", it's just stupid to call them pussies.

People's noses are built wildly different would be my guess. Some have more soft cartilage and others have more of a protruding bony structure. They all react differently to trauma perhaps? Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 4:14 PM
Gritty

Who's got the best and worse designed noses in mma? Some dudes have honkers Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 4:14 PM
DarkhorseRising
111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Once you've broke it you don't even really care when it happens again, just get a nice headache afterwards.
When you see people get dropped from a really hard shot to the nose it's usually because they also damaged the orbital bone, which I've heard is fairly painful, or they're a pussy. Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 4:17 PM
Gritty

My other fear is my knees. I could never play soccer with people slide tackling all over the place Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 4:21 PM
FoluFam

The trick to it not hurting is to not think about it...

Take jabs to the nose on a daily for about 6 weeks and you'll adjust. Phone Post 3.0
2/25/14 4:24 PM
solidsnake
162 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The two times my nose turned into a fountain it barely hurt at all.

The many times I didn't flow, it hurt like hell.
2/25/14 4:33 PM
WidespreadPanic

A couple things people might not consider. First, a big part of ability to fight is durability - ability to take a punch. Even good technical fighters might fail to be contenders because they lack this ability.

Second, I highly suspect that some, if not many fighters are on some kind of pain killers (remember Mark Kerr and nubain?).

2/25/14 4:33 PM
The Sultan
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive never noticed getting hit flush in the nose. You just learn to deal with it.

My last fight my nose was bleeding and i dont even remember when i did it. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.