UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Meltzer: Rousey vs Carano for July 4th weekend

3/2/14 8:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Markme123
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On Saturday nights Observer Radio, Dave mentions that the big Rousey announcement this week may not be an immediate Rousey vs Cyborg fight. There are those in UFC who believe, and he agrees, that a Cyborg fight needs to be built up and most importantly that Cyborg needs to make 135 a few times.

Dave mentions that UFC is in dire need for a big time main event for July 5 because most champions will be unavailable. While a Cyborg fight would fit that bill, Dave prefers the Rousey vs Carano idea instead. He mentions the rumor of UFC having approached Gina Carano for that show. Dave hopes they can make a deal because a big Rousey fight coupled with a possible Welterweight title defense is the only mega show possibility they have available for July.
3/2/14 8:47 AM
Lick Boners

Cool if true, although RIP Gina
3/2/14 8:50 AM
Dreamer
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way it could be at 135 though? Didnt Gina struggle enough making 145?
3/2/14 8:53 AM
FOTN
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd be very surprised if that's true. As much as I like Carano (who doesn't?), she'd get crushed by Rousey and it'd be unfair to sling her in there after a four year break from fighting.

I still think Holly Holm is who the UFC have in mind, but realistically it's just complete B.S that they are making 'Cyborg' crawl through broken glass in order to get her opportunity as she's the best option by a country mile.
3/2/14 8:54 AM
Anderson P Sonnen
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome, but makes absolutely no sense at this point imo. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 8:55 AM
Vader03
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dreamer - No way it could be at 135 though? Didnt Gina struggle enough making 145?
. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:00 AM
devils advocate

gina has had some big fights recently

3/2/14 9:02 AM
Markme123

Dreamer - No way it could be at 135 though? Didnt Gina struggle enough making 145?

My guess is that Ronda would break her "only fighting at 135" rule for Gina. She respects her enough to, hopefully, be willing to take a catchweight super fight.

If it does happen, this fight would be so incredibly similar to the Hughes vs Gracie fight in more ways than one...
3/2/14 9:05 AM
stevekt
592 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gina was 139 for the Sexton fight but that was a few meals back. I love Gina but she can't make 135. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:07 AM
Dreamer
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

devils advocate - 

gina has had some big fights recently

Oh shit! Ronda better watch out for the armbar!
3/2/14 9:08 AM
Markme123

Anderson P Sonnen - Awesome, but makes absolutely no sense at this point imo. Phone Post 3.0

It make perfect sense for what the UFC is looking for for International Fight Week. A marketable fight they can make money with. Like Meltzer said, this fight would have no trouble getting press and selling tickets.
3/2/14 9:09 AM
sherlock1988
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought they was going with cat? Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:21 AM
devils advocate

rumor is gina is going to work with dolce

she'll make weight

3/2/14 9:36 AM
chilz
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Markme123 -
Dreamer - No way it could be at 135 though? Didnt Gina struggle enough making 145?

My guess is that Ronda would break her "only fighting at 135" rule for Gina. She respects her enough to, hopefully, be willing to take a catchweight super fight.

If it does happen, this fight would be so incredibly similar to the Hughes vs Gracie fight in more ways than one...
You can't be serious? Gina hasn't fought in 4 years. This isn't happening. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:38 AM
chilz
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

devils advocate -

she'll make weight

You're so full of shit. Where did that rumor come from? Your dome? Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:40 AM
Anderson P Sonnen
683 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Markme123 -
Anderson P Sonnen - Awesome, but makes absolutely no sense at this point imo. Phone Post 3.0

It make perfect sense for what the UFC is looking for for International Fight Week. A marketable fight they can make money with. Like Meltzer said, this fight would have no trouble getting press and selling tickets.
Yeah I know that it makes sense from a business perspective. I'm talking about relevance. Gina hasn't fought in years and they want her first fight back to be Rousey? That doesn't make sense. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:41 AM
Steven McTowelie
422 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chilz -
devils advocate -

she'll make weight

You're so full of shit. Where did that rumor come from? Your dome? Phone Post 3.0
Would he fun and I love me some Gina but she never made weight ever and her 80lb fake fun bags do not help matters. Can't cut those in the sauna! Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:45 AM
FOTN
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Markme123 - 

Don't think so, because then that would leave her with no excuse not to also fight 'Cyborg' at that weight too.
3/2/14 9:47 AM
AdmiralCackbar
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are they just trying to one up themselves in finding the least deserving contenders possible? Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:48 AM
1a1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Such a stupid fight Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:51 AM
trobinson21

I hope their big announcement is no more WMMA main events in the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 9:51 AM
sodagoespop

Their getting desperate since their PPV numbers are in the toilet, this actually makes sense for the UFC.
3/2/14 9:52 AM
devils advocate

Steven McTowelie - 
chilz -
devils advocate -

she'll make weight

Would he fun and I love me some Gina but she never made weight ever and her 80lb fake fun bags do not help matters. Can't cut those in the sauna! Phone Post 3.0

rumor is gina is undergoing breast reduction surgery for this fight

3/2/14 10:05 AM
JJLong

Thread title is misleading.
3/2/14 10:09 AM
VTCO
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While it's a huge marquee fight, booking it would show that the UFC is just desperate for a big fight and their entire rankings system is pointless.

Gina hasn't fought in nearly 5 years and went out on an L. How is that deserving of a title shot?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.