UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Why is BJ Penn considered

3/2/14 1:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Friendlyconcretestomp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear people regard BJ Penn as a GOAT, and about his Warrior spirit and his "To the DEATH" attitude. I respect the shit out of him. I never really looked Into him but could someone give a better understanding as to why he's such a badass motherfucker.

And I mean this in the most respectful way possible. I'm not doubting or questioning how legit he is. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:12 PM
MMA Playwright
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Talent and balls.

Fought up to as high as 205. At his best, he's arguably very close to as good as it gets. Outstanding at all aspects of the sport.
3/2/14 1:13 PM
Stu Cazzo

He's tiny and he fights giants.

End of thread Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:21 PM
Lanceness021

MMA Playwright - Talent and balls.

Fought up to as high as 205. At his best, he's arguably very close to as good as it gets. Outstanding at all aspects of the sport.

He actually fought at HW.
3/2/14 1:23 PM
Lanceness021

He's one of the few guys clearly not on PED's and was one of the guys first responsible for bringing better testing into the sport.
3/2/14 1:29 PM
Motivated Penn
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because when he didn't hesitate at all to fight guys above his weight class.

He comes out of retirement not to fight some random dude, but Rory Macdonald, up and coming frate trane.

Doesn't hurt that he licked blood off his gloves either ;)
3/2/14 1:30 PM
UGCTT_Zacharinho
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJ is a guy who loves to scrap. That's why he is revered, he isn't afraid of anyone. BJ fought the toughest men on the planet, he wasn't spoonfed cans. He even beat Gomi when Gomi was the LW god. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:30 PM
moss_4h
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

anyone anywhere anytime
3/2/14 1:32 PM
JohnnyChingas

Never been KO'd. dropped(after starting at 155 fought a 215 machida), fought the best, held two titles at one time, the 155# GOAT, made his opponents shed the most blood in teh UFC, the skill set, the style, the blood licking. i have a boner now.

Seriously? This has to be asked? BJ was the "new breed'' before it was cool.
3/2/14 1:35 PM
Topsyjt
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you imagine GSP stepping up to Heavyweight and being competitive?
His 2 bouts with Ludwig and Uno were devastating. I was shocked seeing him dismantle with such easy these highly respected athletes. His legendary 1st bout with Matt Hughes..... BJJ black belt in 3yrs. World champ BJJ (1st non Brazilian i believe) wasn't named the "prodigy" for nought. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:35 PM
RyannVonDoom

3/2/14 join date. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:38 PM
BobbyDigital420
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RyannVonDoom - 3/2/14 join date. Phone Post 3.0

it's true

sorry, but if you knew his history, you wouldn't ask.

;)

3/2/14 1:39 PM
hellride
152 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Anderson says your the GOAT, your the GOAT.
3/2/14 1:40 PM
Steve4192
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA fans like you are the fucking worst.

The guy came in and asked a question about as respectfully as is possible, and you still bust his balls about his join date. MMA has to be the only sport in the world where older fans ridicule younger fans simply for being new to the sport. In other sports, the older fans usually embrace younger fans and gladly pass their knowledge on to the next generation. I'll never understand why MMA fans are so hostile to newer fans.
3/2/14 1:48 PM
CANESHARP
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JohnnyB1 -

You see how fighters are now? They are great in boxing, wrestling, BJJ all at the same time.

Before BJ came there weren't too many multi dimensional fighters, they were only great in one discipline. Here comes BJ, awesome in BJJ, boxing, submissions- he was one of the first to mix it all up and be exceptional at it.

He also came up from lightweight and challenged Matt Hughes for his Welterweight title at a time when Hughes was unbeatable, and BJ beat him when most thought he would get killed.

If you watched him coming up to where he is now, you'd understand why he is one of the greatest.

This Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 1:50 PM
wigwam
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve4192 -

The guy came in and asked a question about as respectfully as is possible, and you still bust his balls about his join date. MMA has to be the only sport in the world where older fans ridicule younger fans simply for being new to the sport. In other sports, the older fans usually embrace younger fans and gladly pass their knowledge on to the next generation. I'll never understand why MMA fans are so hostile to newer fans.
I understand what you're saying but these days it's not hard to find out for yourself. With the internet, pretty much all BJ Penn fights are a click away.

OP, if you're a fan of MMA you'll be a fan of BJ Penn after watching his fights. Go treat yourself dude. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:01 PM
Friendlyconcretestomp

Steve4192 -

Thanks. In all fairness, I've been lurking since '12. And I've never really read up much or watched much of the "Old school" UFC days of Penn, Hughes , militech, or Uno. And I'm more of a PRIDE guy. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:01 PM
Czer
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read his book and you'll understand why he's the real GOAT.

Complete warrior spirit and drive. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:03 PM
Friendlyconcretestomp

And it's good to ask people on their opinion, instead of being fed the details by the media Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:06 PM
mestregruber
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Finished 11 of his 12 wins in the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:07 PM
RyannVonDoom

wigwam -
Steve4192 -

I understand what you're saying but these days it's not hard to find out for yourself. With the internet, pretty much all BJ Penn fights are a click away.

OP, if you're a fan of MMA you'll be a fan of BJ Penn after watching his fights. Go treat yourself dude. Phone Post 3.0
This. Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:08 PM
BackOffWarchild
284 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll tell you why I think BJ is one the GOAT. He didn't go on one of the greatest runs in MMA history, he went on TWO of the greatest runs in MMA history.

The first:
When the UFC disbanded the LW division after BJ's draw with Caol Uno, he went to Hawaii and DESTROYED the then-number one LW in the world, Taka Gomi, in a one-sided beatdown. He then returned to the UFC, moved up to WW, and smashed Matt Hughes. He leaves the UFC, subs Bang Ludwig in K-1, then moves up (again) to 185 and dominates then-undefeated Rodrigo Gracie. BJ followed that up by moved up AGAIN to 205 and losing a UD to Machida where BJ outboxed Machida before gassing. Shortly thereafter he dropped back down to win a one-sided decision over Renzo,

The second:
BJ returned to lightweight in 2007 and dominated Jens Pulver, avenging an early-career loss to Pulver in a title fight. This began a streak of five straight one-sided beatdowns in LW fights, against the fighters that clearly were the best in the world at that time (outside Gomi and Aoki). He followed the RNC win over Pulver by giving Joe Stevenson a SERIOUS one-sided beatdown and finished with RNC. Then he boxed up Sherk, finishing him with that famous running flying knee. After came the outclassing of KenFlo, who tried to gas out BJ, only to fail and get RNC'd in four. Then came the 2nd-greatest (to the Gomi fight) performance of BJ's career: The merciless five-round beatdown of Diego Sanchez, when Diego was peaking coming into the fight, with the doctor stopping it in the final round. BJ was a straight killer for this entire LW run. Since he lost the title in that specious decision to Frankie Edgar, no LW champ has displayed the kind of killer instinct or finishing ability that BJ displayed during his title run.

/nuthugging
3/2/14 2:08 PM
talkischeap
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never liked penn (maybe a for a second when he choked out hughes) cant stand his whole shit talkin weather you back it up or not attitude he stale and needs to train at a real camp . I will never forget ( although penn forgot fast ) him quitting between rounds vs gsp . Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:11 PM
MasterofMartialArts
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Warrior spirit. Will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. The skills of a true prodigy. The most naturally skilled man to ever fight in MMA, and didn't even go as far as he could have gone. Slick boxing, lightning fast jab. LEGENDARY takedown defense. A dangerous guard. Could take his opponents back in an instant. Always goes for the finish. Ran through the 155 division. Took the belt at 170 from an unstoppable guy at the time. Always challenging himself. Fought the best in the world in more than one era, and finished a lot of them. All of these things could be summed up in two words:

PURE KILLER.

War Baby Jay! Phone Post 3.0
3/2/14 2:13 PM
Devin Ratray's gf, WOOF
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In no particular order, but...

Legit black belt in record american
time.

UFC champ in 2 weight classes.

Fought a hw Machida.

Gomi.

Greatest intro ever. Gnarles Barkley.

Put on some of the worst beatings on people.

The greatest LW ever.

Tough as fuck.

Always exciting.

Well rounded as fuck.

And so on... Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.