UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> So I finally started training BJJ

3/4/14 1:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cheesesteak
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now how does someone who hasn't ever trained bjj be a mod on this forum???? Mind is blowed
3/4/14 12:51 PM
ilovetortillas
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
98lbweakling - Out of curiosity, why did you wait so long? Phone Post 3.0

I was intimidated. I tried it before a few times and the closeness freaked me out a bit. I still need to get used to it, but I feel a lot better about it now.
3/4/14 12:51 PM
ilovetortillas
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cheesesteak - Now how does someone who hasn't ever trained bjj be a mod on this forum???? Mind is blowed

I have trained Muay Thai for several years if that makes you feel better about it. :P
3/4/14 12:52 PM
ilovetortillas

LiveToFightInc - Good luck and have the best time!! I find there were a few types of guys when I was rolling.
1. awesome, helpful guys (usually higher belts) who I loved rolling with. We would go back and forth, and they would let me work, not just suffocate me. That way you actually learn.
2. bigger guys who just used their weight and strength. Just suffocate me. Bc there was no way they were getting subbed by a 105 lb chick.

Damn it, I miss training, can't wait to get back into it!

Good luck lady, oh and be prepared to have your hair ripped out. I wore mine in a huge bun on my head, samurai style. Found that was better than a braid or a Faber rows.

Kristen :) Phone Post 3.0

I'll keep you posted, homie!! <3
3/4/14 12:53 PM
ilovetortillas

Great advice all around. Thanks for all the kind words and support.
3/4/14 12:55 PM
armbarring
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Remember when doing a baseball slide pass make sure you slide your shin up the ball sack then cut to the side. lol
3/4/14 12:55 PM
Tolstolobic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaliKush - If your caught in a triangle, use hammerfists to the face to tap Phone Post 3.0
LOL Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 1:22 PM
ilovetortillas

armbarring - Remember when doing a baseball slide pass make sure you slide your shin up the ball sack then cut to the side. lol

That sounds evil.
3/4/14 1:38 PM
ilovetortillas

Everybody knows what I look like, but here is me being goofy at Europa.

3/4/14 1:41 PM
ilovetortillas

Here is my fancy rashguard.

3/4/14 1:45 PM
rushinbear
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

now there will be another person that will be able to kick my butt....
3/4/14 1:54 PM
ilovetortillas

rushinbear - now there will be another person that will be able to kick my butt....

I'm a long ways away from being able to kick anybody's butt!
3/4/14 2:22 PM
MTH
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Three things to remember for a beginner . . .

(1) White belt is the belt of "defense."  While you can and should certainly learn sweeps, subs, etc. as they're taught, your primary focus should instead be to "survive."  It's less glamorous, but it's reality.  Learn how to position your body so you can keep breathing no matter what position you're in.  Learn what to do with your hands/arms when stuck under side control versus mount versus in someone's guard, etc.  Learn how to defend your collars.  Learn grip breaks.  Learn how to keep your posture in guard.  Learn to keep your feet and knees between an attacker in top position.  Etc.  You should pat yourself on the back and recognize your "success" when you come away from a roll without being subbed or having made your partner try many different things before subbing you.  It's when you become hard to control and hard to submit (i.e., when your "defense" is good) that you can start to attack a little more, and that's usually when you're in line for blue belt.

(2) This is going to be hard.  Especially the farther away you are from being large, athletic, and male.  The first year of BJJ is, in general, just getting the sh*t kicked out of you while you learn how to not make terrible decisions (i.e., while you learn "survival," see above).  Progress will feel positively glacial.  You'll go months and feel like you haven't improved at all, in part because everyone around you is improving as well.  You must stick with it during this time and push through.  It will get better.  After the first year or so, you will have progressed far enough to see the gap when a new set of white belts start.  Until then, you'll just feel like you're "losing" all of the time.  (Though remember, training in class isn't about "winning" or "losing," and if you're learning to "survive" as a white belt then you're doing exactly the right thing.)

(3) Don't injure yourself.  Injuries happen in combat sports naturally, so don't make it worse by doing stupid things.  If you're caught in a joint lock and don't have a legitimate plan of escape immediately in mind, then it's time to tap.  Not a big deal.  Everybody taps.  If you're not surrounded by folks who can tap you, then you're not likely to improve very much.  Similarly, don't overtrain until your body has adapted to the new demands you're putting on it . . . though don't go so rarely that you hardly ever improve.  Two to three times a week is usually good for beginners. 

That's my two cents.  Good luck.

3/4/14 2:28 PM
ilovetortillas

Thanks MTH!!
3/4/14 2:39 PM
GodSaveTheReem
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - 
spg -
ilovetortillas - 
Cyboth - I'm one year in and still loving it. Broken toe, cauliflower ears, fingers bending, shit load of bruises.

You will become more and more physically resilient if you keep training. Phone Post 3.0
I don't think I will get cauliflower ear. How does it happen? Phone Post 3.0

Just from pressure on your ear - getting stuck in headlocks or whatever. It looks pretty badass though, so just let it happen.

That's the look that I NEED! Phone Post 3.0

I have good/bad news. Some people just dont get cauliflower ear...years of hard rolling and I don't have it even a little. Yet I know some people who roll for a month and look like life long wrestlers.

In regards to your revenge thoughts...the more experienced you get the more you will know when to turn the aggression on and off. With some guys at the gym I am chill, and others we have an unspoken agreement to get a little violent.
3/4/14 2:52 PM
MTH
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - Thanks MTH!!

Sure thing.  Keep us posted.

Oh, one more tip--if you're ears hurt, get headgear.  I like these as they're soft and low profile, which keeps them out of everybody's way and prevents injuries to your partner like the hard plastic ones can cause.  I don't even notice that I'm wearing them. 

Online everybody busts on headgear, but I've never actually had anyone say anything about them in person other than to ask if I liked them, what brand they are, etc.  In fact, I've noticed that when one person starts wearing them at an academy, several others usually quickly follow suit who were (presumably) too "embarassed" to be the first to wear them. 

I've also never met somebody who, if offered a no-cost magic solution that could magically return their ears to pre-grappling condition, wouldn't take that offer.  There is much discussion of taking "pride" in cauliflowered ears, but deep down I believe most would rather not have them.

Finally, aside from being painful to develop, cauliflower ears are very permanent.  Plastic surgery to "fix" them (sort of) can run in excess of $5K per ear.

3/4/14 8:48 PM
ilovetortillas

How bad does cauliflower ear hurt? Does it affect your hearing at all? Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:49 PM
ilovetortillas

Not saying the I won't wear head gear. I'm just curious. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:07 PM
UGCTT croy_00
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It hurts, and bad cases do affect hearing yes. You can get corrective surgery I believe for hearing. Phone Post
3/4/14 9:11 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/04/14 9:12 PM
If you're caught in a joint lock, tap. If you are caught in a blood choke, it's time for a "brief trip to Heaven" (just don't pee on yourself).
3/4/14 9:23 PM
98lbweakling
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ilovetortillas - 

I was intimidated. I tried it before a few times and the closeness freaked me out a bit. I still need to get used to it, but I feel a lot better about it now.

Can you elaborate on this a bit. Is it being close to strange men that's the issue or would it still be an issue if you trained exclusively with women too? Also, does the "closeness" have anything to do with feeling smothered or trapped? I've heard women mention this before but I never really understood it.
3/4/14 9:31 PM
Devin Ratray's gf, WOOF
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

House Boru - thats awesome man
That's awesome, girl. Now get in my guard.

Fixed. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 11:45 PM
Elias Cepeda
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats! Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 1:00 AM
BJ Penn is Irish
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you do some shadow boxing right before rolling, they will dig your sweet moves and hespect you more.

Ha! Just trust your Professor and stay dedicated. Don't expect it to come overnight either. You wouldn't stare at a shrub expecting it to launch into the sky becoming a tree. Takes time but if you put the time in, you will get better.

Best of luck and welcome to the party! Phone Post 3.0
3/5/14 10:59 AM
ilovetortillas

98lbweakling - 
ilovetortillas - 

Can you elaborate on this a bit. Is it being close to strange men that's the issue or would it still be an issue if you trained exclusively with women too? Also, does the "closeness" have anything to do with feeling smothered or trapped? I've heard women mention this before but I never really understood it.

Yes, exactly. I feel more comfortable training with women right now and a very small pool of men (3 maybe 4) that I have a high level of trust with. Part of my issue is I am claustrophobic and I do feel an overwhelming anxiety when I feel crowded or smothered. It's really odd. It happens even during normal conversations. I get consumed with feeling the need to escape. I am hoping that the BJJ will help me deal with that and I feel like it is working so far. Once I am a little more comfortable, I will probably be able to train with just about anybody, but I am still in the process of conquering my fear. My goal is to make progress every day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.