UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cyborg unveils plan to land Rousey fight

3/3/14 11:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
XxLiveBaitxX
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://espn.go.com/blog/MMA/post/_/id/20526/cyborg-unveils-plan-to-land-rousey-fight

Invicta FC featherweight champion Cristiane Justino has a plan for 2014, which she hopes will lead to UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey by December.

Justino (12-1) recently hired medical consultants to help her start shedding weight in an attempt to make the 135-pound bantamweight limit by midsummer.

The plan calls for Justino, aka "Cyborg," to defend her 145-pound Invicta title in late April or early May, most likely against Ediane Gomes. Justino would then fight for Invicta's 135-pound title in a quick turnaround, perhaps as early as July.

In previous interviews, the Brazilian fighter hinted she was entering the final fight on the Invicta contract she signed last year. Invicta president Shannon Knapp wouldn't offer details, but said the proposed two title fights wouldn't necessarily require Justino to sign a contract extension.

"I won't confirm or deny where she is on her contract, but I can tell you she would still be contractually under Invicta on her current deal [in that situation]," Knapp told ESPN.com.

A former Strikeforce champion, Justino publicly stated her intent to drop to 135 pounds last Saturday, hours before Rousey (9-0) was scheduled to defend her title against Sara McMann at UFC 170 in Las Vegas. Rousey won the fight via first-round TKO.

Justino is scheduled to compete in a 145-pound muay Thai bout at Lion Fight 14 on March 28 in Las Vegas. According to her attorney George Prajin, Justino typically weighs approximately 170 pounds between fights and has a hard time even cutting to her current weight class.

The goal is for Justino to gradually drop, under a physician's supervision, over the next few months, which would make her next two cuts to 145 pounds easier. She would then make a practice cut to 135 before fighting for the Invicta bantamweight title this summer.

Earlier this month, Justino's manager, former UFC champion Tito Ortiz, stepped down from his involvement with her. UFC president Dana White has criticized Ortiz's handling of Justino's career in the past.

In February 2013, Ortiz held a news conference during which he said it was "impossible" for Justino to cut to 135 pounds. White has pointed to that admission as a major reason the fight hasn't been made -- and might never be made.

"It's not that I'm against Cyborg," White said last weekend. "It's that she has been put in this box. Tito built this box and stuffed her in there and it's really hurt her bad. [Ortiz said], 'If she goes to 135, she will die. A doctor said it.' Who wants her to fight at 135 then? Not me."

On Wednesday, Prajin told ESPN.com that the news conference White is referring to was "difficult" and admitted Ortiz was "nervous" during it. He disputes the claim, however, that anyone said she would "die" at 135 pounds.

With Ortiz out of the picture, Justino and her representatives are optimistic a deal with the UFC could be reached in time to see her fight Rousey by the end of the year.

Rousey is expected to return to the Octagon before then and will face No. 1 contender Cat Zingano, assuming Zingano has recovered from knee surgery. White has stated Rousey will fight three times in 2014.

Rousey, who hasn't fought at featherweight since November 2011, has maintained interest in a fight against Justino, but only at bantamweight. The UFC currently does not promote a female featherweight division.

"I still want that fight, but she seems hell bent on it not happening," Rousey told ESPN last week.

The fantasy fight might find an unlikely advocate in Knapp who, despite her stake in Invicta, says she's willing to be a liaison between Justino and the UFC.

"Ever since Tito stepped down, [Justino] doesn't have a manager so to speak, so she has been completely bombarded with people trying to represent her," Knapp said. "What Cris wants is someone to communicate and negotiate for her who she trusts. She has asked me to be a part of it.

"When I signed Cris, I knew this fight was out there and that she wanted it. As much as I'm a promoter with my own promotion, I want to see that fight. I would never hold an athlete back in that situation. I'll assist in whatever way I can."
3/3/14 11:47 PM
JJLong
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing really new here and I like how the story ignores Cyborg's recent statements of wanting to fight only 3 times at 135 and the potential problems involved in that.
3/4/14 1:01 AM
Bailx
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, honestly i'm becoming tired of any sort of cyborg "news"

keep it to yourself. i care less the more i hear about it.

personally i don't care if she ever makes it to the UFC... women who use steroids or are actually MEN (Fallon Fox) should have very little leeway in the sport (unless they want to fight in the MEN's division).

i don't mean to be sexist or whatever, it's just very unfair for the other women who compete against them, and ronda doesn't deserve this...she's clean and a big reason women's MMA is finally in the UFC.
3/4/14 1:03 AM
SOO72

"According to her attorney George Prajin, Justino typically weighs approximately 170 pounds between fights"

A fucking 170 pounds. She should be fighting Jose Aldo.
3/4/14 3:46 AM
JerodR
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If she wants to make a permanent move and career with the UFC at 135lbs then more power to her. However only 3 fights at 135 then split...not interested. Also if she is 170lbs between fights then honestly I would not be impressed if she beat Rousey because she is MUCH bigger to say the least. However if Rousey won then that would be really damn impressive beating someone that should be two weight classes higher. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 8:38 AM
Cya

ttt
3/4/14 8:40 AM
MisterHawkeMMA

My question is, what excuse will people come up with after Rousey beats Zigano, Davis, and Justino all within a years time?
3/4/14 8:41 AM
I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

But.... That means it's not her debut against Rousey that Rogan was referring to. I bet it's the UFC purchasing Invicta. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:06 AM
GarlicSauce

It's amazing how much Cyborg is trying to fight Ronda and how much Ronda is ducking her.

Props to the UFC for doing everything possible to protect Ronda. Cyborg would eat her alive.
3/4/14 9:09 AM
urch

Can you put Cyborg's photo behind a spoiler tag...? Please? I think it should be voluntary if one wants to see that face.
3/4/14 9:48 AM
Steve4192
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GarlicSauce - It's amazing how much Cyborg is trying to fight Ronda and how much Ronda is ducking her.

Props to the UFC for doing everything possible to protect Ronda. Cyborg would eat her alive.

That makes no sense.

Cyborg admitted at her steroids hearing that Ronda had signed to fight her. The UFC offered Cyborg a contract to fight Ronda when she came back from suspension. They have done everything they can to get Cyborg into the cage with Rousey. It has been Cyborg who has blocked the fight at every turn. She talks a good game, but when it comes to putting it down on paper, she has not delivered despite multiple opportunities.
3/4/14 9:53 AM
Steve4192
217 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JerodR - If she wants to make a permanent move and career with the UFC at 135lbs then more power to her. However only 3 fights at 135 then split...not interested. Also if she is 170lbs between fights then honestly I would not be impressed if she beat Rousey because she is MUCH bigger to say the least. However if Rousey won then that would be really damn impressive beating someone that should be two weight classes higher. Phone Post 3.0

To be fair, Cyborg won't be walking around at 170 anymore if she wants to make a healthy cut to 135. She'll have to drop 10-15 pounds if she wants to make bantamweight. If she gets down to 155-160, she'll be at approximately the same walk-around weight as Rousey. Ronda was walking around at 152 when she filming TUF.
3/4/14 9:53 AM
Dogman

Edited: 03/04/14 9:53 AM
Its the only WMMA fight I'm interested in. Until RR beats Cyborg, shes a paper dragon.
3/4/14 10:10 AM
Steve4192

Dogman - Its the only WMMA fight I'm interested in. Until RR beats Cyborg, shes a paper dragon.

Was GSP a paper dragon because he never beat Anderson Silva?

Was Silva a paper dragon because he never beat Jon Jones?

Is Jones a paper dragon because he hasn't beaten Cain?
3/4/14 10:40 AM
irish_pride
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like that her promoter is helping rather than cock blocking. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 11:06 AM
Dogman

Steve4192 - 
Dogman - Its the only WMMA fight I'm interested in. Until RR beats Cyborg, shes a paper dragon.

So Stevey the mens division is the same as the womans and the fact the RR was fighting at 145 and went down makes no differnce with you? I see your point but I dont agree that its the same!
3/4/14 11:08 AM
epwar
626 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/04/14 11:09 AM

"Ronda's...uh...busy now." - Dana

"I'd totally beat Cyborg, but I'm interested in the 125 lb title." - Deja Ronda

"We don't have a 125 lb title...uh...I mean, Ronda is now fighting at 125." - Dana

3/4/14 11:21 AM
Phil999

Steve4192 - 

this
3/4/14 12:04 PM
Steve4192

Dogman - 
Steve4192 - 

So Stevey the mens division is the same as the womans and the fact the RR was fighting at 145 and went down makes no differnce with you? I see your point but I dont agree that its the same!

Anderson fought at WW earlier in his career. Does that mean he was ducking GSP? He also fought at LHW. Does that mean he was ducking Jones? Jones has also talked about eventually moving up to HW. Does that mean he is ducking Cain?

Like many fighters, Ronda started her career at a different weight class than her optimal weight class. Spencer Fisher started out as a fucking HW and would up at FW. Kenny Florian started out at WW, moved up to MW for TUF, then moved back down as far as FW. As they progressed in their careers, they moved to the weight class that best suited them. Ronda did the same thing. Why should she be expected to move back up to a weight class that no longer suits her?
3/4/14 12:43 PM
GarlicSauce

Steve4192 - 
GarlicSauce - It's amazing how much Cyborg is trying to fight Ronda and how much Ronda is ducking her.

That makes no sense.

Cyborg admitted at her steroids hearing that Ronda had signed to fight her. The UFC offered Cyborg a contract to fight Ronda when she came back from suspension. They have done everything they can to get Cyborg into the cage with Rousey. It has been Cyborg who has blocked the fight at every turn. She talks a good game, but when it comes to putting it down on paper, she has not delivered despite multiple opportunities.

"They have done everything they can", that is the truth, but only if you believe the Zuffa corporation in everything they say. They gave her a shitty contract, and when Cyborg asked for what she deserves they used this to "prove" that **Cyborg** is the one complicating this.
3/4/14 1:05 PM
Steve4192

GarlicSauce - 
Steve4192 - 

That makes no sense.

"They have done everything they can", that is the truth, but only if you believe the Zuffa corporation in everything they say. They gave her a shitty contract, and when Cyborg asked for what she deserves they used this to "prove" that **Cyborg** is the one complicating this.

I'm not believing Zuffa. I'm believing Cyborg. She admitted in her steroids trial that a fight with Rousey was already lined up in Strikeforce. She also admits that she could have made 135 to fight Rousey in the UFC, but she wanted more money and fewer fights. That's twice Ronda has agreed to fight Cyborg and twice that Cyborg has found a reason not to take the fight BY HER OWN ADMISSION.

I happen to agree with you that a fighter has the right to seek out the best deal they can get for themselves (that's why they call them 'prize fighters') Personally, I don't think either of them are 'ducking', they're just negotiating the best deal they can get. But if people are going to throw around accusations of 'ducking', then Cyborg is clearly the one doing the quacking. She's the one who has twice passed up an opportunity to sign a contract with Rousey's on it.
3/4/14 1:20 PM
Soup and Beer
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MisterHawkeMMA - My question is, what excuse will people come up with after Rousey beats Zigano, Davis, and Justino all within a years time?

They will say it was a lucky fluke, just like they say Weidman's two KO's and TKO's of Silva were pure luck.  They will say that if Ronda hadn't gotten the takedown and the armbar, that Cyborg would have KO'd her or gotten the decision.

3/4/14 1:33 PM
urch

Steve4192 - 
Dogman - 
Steve4192 - 

Anderson fought at WW earlier in his career. Does that mean he was ducking GSP? He also fought at LHW. Does that mean he was ducking Jones? Jones has also talked about eventually moving up to HW. Does that mean he is ducking Cain?

Like many fighters, Ronda started her career at a different weight class than her optimal weight class. Spencer Fisher started out as a fucking HW and would up at FW. Kenny Florian started out at WW, moved up to MW for TUF, then moved back down as far as FW. As they progressed in their careers, they moved to the weight class that best suited them. Ronda did the same thing. Why should she be expected to move back up to a weight class that no longer suits her?

What are you doing, man? Stop making so much sense. Don't you know you're supposed to turn a blind eye to obvious facts and post shitty comments based on your personal whims rather than objective assessment? This is the Internet after all.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.