UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Jones: No interest in fighting DC "right now"

3/4/14 9:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kjonesbeatdown
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here we go again.. Every time Jones gets a possible opponent he tries to discredit them. A big reason why he has lost me as a fan(his mouth).

http://www.mmamount.com/news/2014/03/041412/jon-jones-to-daniel-cormier-no-interest-in-fighting-you-right-now/ Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:19 AM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scared. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:31 AM
Judontkneedthisname3744

After the Gus fight Jones wants nothing to do with hard fights.  I think he is totally overlooking Glover which could hurt.  

3/4/14 9:32 AM

I don't understand how Jones thinks remarks like this do not hurt his credibility and reputation. No other champion in the UFC tries to publicly hand pick their opponents like Jones does. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:38 AM
zebers3
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We're gonna see this fight eventually, and I actually agree with Jones here. If Jones beats Glover, and Gus beats Manuwa, we already have that rematch to look forward to. And in that time DC can fight Rashad or Little Nog or just someone in the top 10, get a win and then he takes the winner of Jones/Gus II.

Now if Jones wins and Gus loses then I say give it to DC and they likely will.

3/4/14 9:38 AM
WuDaddy
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT - Scared. Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:45 AM
MITman2k
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well-known than Patrick Cummins. Fight against Rashad [Evans], fight against somebody legit, man. Then I think it would be a little more appropriate to give you that title shot.”"

I won't speak to all of Jones' past comments(and there have been many of his comments that I disagreed with ). but this statement at least, I don't have a problem with. Jones still needs to fight glover and then potentially Gus right after that.  I don't think it's outof the question that Cormier get another fight in the meantime. And cormier himself had been open to that iirc.

3/4/14 9:47 AM
MarkRobinson
1296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MITman2k -

"I really want to see a top contender fight a top contender and I think you need to fight someone a little bit more well-known than Patrick Cummins. Fight against Rashad [Evans], fight against somebody legit, man. Then I think it would be a little more appropriate to give you that title shot.”"

I won't speak to all of Jones' past comments(and there have been many of his comments that I disagreed with ). but this statement at least, I don't have a problem with. Jones still needs to fight glover and then potentially Gus right after that.  I don't think it's outof the question that Cormier get another fight in the meantime. And cormier himself had been open to that iirc.

Plus 1 Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:49 AM
RevDaniel

It's not like he's a champ of one division (in the UFC), coming to another with enough clout. Earn that shit, DC. Or else, the title loses credibility.
3/4/14 9:50 AM
Let me bang bro

He's right. DC hasn't done anything at LHW to earn a title shot. Let him beat someone in the top 2000 before he gets a shot at the champ. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 9:51 AM
TryhardNobody
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can kinda understand what Jones is saying, But DC just ran through the heavyweights smashing ppl. Hes not some untested guy. I wish Jones would just say "I'll fight whoever they put in front of me", thats what i like to hear. Because if he goes around saying he isnt interested in fighting DC, then what if they match him w DC? Is he gona whine about it? Try to get out of it? Whats the point of saying he isnt interested in fighting him? Seems like that could only cause him problems if they make that fight
3/4/14 9:59 AM
inf0
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

coool story jones

3/4/14 10:00 AM
Vikingknee

It doesn't matter who DC has beat. If the fans want to see it and will buy the Ppv try should do it. I know I will buy it. Prize fighting isn't fair people forget that. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:01 AM
You're a Good Boy

MarkRobinson -
MITman2k -

Plus 1 Phone Post 3.0
I know it's a different division but Bigfoot, Barnett, Mir and Nelson are definitely legit opponents and DC ran through all of them. Jones knows DC is gonna take that belt from him and is trying to avoid it for as long as possible. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:01 AM
kjonesbeatdown
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC mowed through the who's who of the heavyweight division. Rashad got hurt, he still went in there and did what he was supposed to regardless of opponent. and mainly it was to prove he had no problem making 205. I agree 100% that Gus deserves it over DC but I don't think it's because DC doesn't deserve it. What if Gus gets beat or has an injury? Who else is there? Does DC deserve it then? There weren't many complaints when Aldo was going to move up without a fight at lightweight. Granted, he's the champ, but DC is undefeated, and could have easily fought for the heavyweight title. My issue isn't whether I think he needs to fight before getting the shot. My issue is Jones always does this to every person he fights. Says they don't deserve it, I'm not interested, it does nothing for me, etc. He is the champ, his job is to beat who the UFC picks him to fight. He's not a matchmaker, when it comes to that he should just keep his mouth shut. All he is doing is making himself look bad. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:02 AM
Vikingknee

I think Cormier is gonna knock Jon silly Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:02 AM
Steve4192
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TryhardNobody - I can kinda understand what Jones is saying, But DC just ran through the heavyweights smashing ppl. Hes not some untested guy. I wish Jones would just say "I'll fight whoever they put in front of me", thats what i like to hear. Because if he goes around saying he isnt interested in fighting DC, then what if they match him w DC? Is he gona whine about it? Try to get out of it? Whats the point of saying he isnt interested in fighting him? Seems like that could only cause him problems if they make that fight

He didn't say he's not interested in fighting DC.

He said he's not interested in fighting him 'right now'.

Jones has his plate full at the moment. He's got Glover at UFC 172 and Gus after that (assuming he gets past Manuwa). Jones doesn't want to waste any mental energy thinking about a guy he may fight in 2015. He's got more immediate concerns.
3/4/14 10:03 AM
GregNoActionJackson
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm with op on this. Jones feels very entitled and I don't like it. When he first came to the UFC he quickly became one of my favorite fighters, right after he won the belt I stopped liking him Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:06 AM
kjonesbeatdown

Before this everyone was saying DC needed to prove he could make 205. He did that, and demolished who they put in front of him. Now he has to go in and beat a top 10 opponent. Even though Gus and Glover have only beat one top 10 guy among both of them Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:11 AM
Cameron0000
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones earned his way to be champ and has earned himself to stay there he can say what he wants when he's on top, there isn't a time he ain't proved to anyone he isn't champ status. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:15 AM
Soup and Beer
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kjonesbeatdown - Before this everyone was saying DC needed to prove he could make 205. He did that, and demolished who they put in front of him. Now he has to go in and beat a top 10 opponent. Even though Gus and Glover have only beat one top 10 guy among both of them Phone Post 3.0

Next, the reason will be that DC didn't beat the top ten opponent fast enough.  He took 3 rounds to knock them out so he really doesn't deserve a title shot.

3/4/14 10:16 AM
Steve4192
218 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kjonesbeatdown - Before this everyone was saying DC needed to prove he could make 205. He did that, and demolished who they put in front of him. Now he has to go in and beat a top 10 opponent. Even though Gus and Glover have only beat one top 10 guy among both of them Phone Post 3.0

If Jones says 'I want DC next', people will claim he is afraid of Gus. If he says 'I want Gus next', people will claim he is afraid of DC. No matter what he says, people will bitch about it and call him a coward. Haters gonna hate.
3/4/14 10:16 AM
kjonesbeatdown

Cameron0000 - Jones earned his way to be champ and has earned himself to stay there he can say what he wants when he's on top, there isn't a time he ain't proved to anyone he isn't champ status. Phone Post 3.0
I agree he is champ status. I mean, he is the champ. But that in no way means your entitled, and can mouth every opponent they give you. A great fighter, can say what he wants, it's a free country. He can keep losing fans with his crybaby act he has had since becoming the champ. I was the biggest Jones fan after UFC 100 and always looked forward to his fights, but his attitude has completely ruined it for me. All started around the time his and Rashad's feud.. He hasn't looked back, or closed his mouth since Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:18 AM

Steve4192 -

If Jones says 'I want DC next', people will claim he is afraid of Gus. If he says 'I want Gus next', people will claim he is afraid of DC. No matter what he says, people will bitch about it and call him a coward. Haters gonna hate.
The problem is he isn't saying he wants anyone. He is just giving reasons not to fight guys. Phone Post 3.0
3/4/14 10:20 AM
zebers3
503 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well before he was supposed to fight Rashad which would have killed two birds with one stone. And true about Gus/Glover but they each won 5 or 6 in a row at 205 to prove themselves. I think it's reasonable to want to see what Cormier is capable of at 205 against a real opponent.

But I think they'll do Jones/Gus II first anyways so I'd rather Cormier fight and stay active rather than sit out an entire year waiting for a title shot.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.