UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Teddy Atlas: 'Mike Tyson’s a phony'

3/6/14 9:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"At the age of 13 he met Bobby Stewart, who taught him the fundamentals of boxing.  Stewart had been the 178-pound national Golden Gloves champion, which is to say he could fight. Within a few months, however, Tyson was giving him all he could handle. Stewart took the boy to his friend Cus D'Amato

D'Amato had become reclusive in the last years, at least as distrustful of the Don Kings and Bob Arums as he had been of guys like Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo back when they owned and operated the sport. He lived in a large farmhouse outside Catskill, New York, overlooking the Hudson River, and trained his fighters in the gym on the third floor of Citizens Hose Company, in town.P

He educated the boy in his house and in his gym; and if you were looking for the difference between Mike Tyson and the other fighters D'Amato had taught, it probably lay in the depth of Tyson's understanding of the things D'Amato was teaching him.P

It is one thing to know what words mean and accept them, it is another thing to believe them. You may understand intellectually that courage is not a constant in anyone and that discipline is—or can be. Discipline will get you through the times when your courage fades. But for discipline to help when everything inside you is suddenly calling in sick, you have to believe it. It has to be true, or it's useless.?P

So what I mean by teaching is not that D'Amato put anything inside Tyson but that he showed him where it was and how to use it. At any rate, Tyson stayed with D'Amato in the house overlooking the Hudson until the old man died on November 4, 1985. He was 77 years old. Tyson was 19, a professional fighter for only eight months. His mother was dead. He had fought 13 times and knocked 13 people out. Nine in the first round."

http://thestacks.deadspin.com/that-moment-before-it-starts-when-youre-scared-tyso-1462265187

"Mike Tyson talks about his REAL Father Cus D'Amato" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNJ7vwBLKjc

Yea Cus sounds like a real piece of crap LMFAO. Well one reference is just a source and the other was on camera so it must be BS. 

The UG, let me listen to a clown shoe pikers who knows Cus should be shit on, no source of course, they just fuckin know, they heard off camera!  The rest of the thread I'd guess is just as legit as the sourceless shitting on Cus. 

3/6/14 9:30 PM
Bobby Lupo
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EEKS - Lupo, why all the hate on D'Amato? Are you upset at the fact that he dedicated himself to Patterson and Tyson, 2 of the best BLACK heavyweight champs of all time. Are you upset that he never gave a fuck about your god Marciano? Maybe, that he trained Jose Torres? Do you consider him a "sell out" because he hanged an American flag out in front of his Catskill mansion rather than an italian flag?
Cus would have blown Rocky if he asked him to.

My favorite boxers are all black Americans, so don't make it a race or nationality thing. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 9:37 PM
Lazer MMA

"Back in the early Sixties, when Floyd Patterson was still heavyweight champion of the world, an intelligent and high-spirited boxing writer named Jack McKinney was passing an afternoon in Darien, Connecticut, with Cus D'Amato, talking, among other things, about Patterson's upcoming fight with Sonny Liston. D'Amato, of course, was Patterson's manager.?P

In its way, it was a melancholy conversation. The question was not if Liston would win but if Patterson—a limited fighter—would be maimed. D'Amato cared more for the fighter than the title."

Same source as the 1st one above. More proof Cus should be shit on right UG?

P

3/6/14 9:43 PM
Bobby Lupo
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You motherfuckers love heroes and fairy tales. Cus was a great guy, he took Mike in out of the kindness of his heart and was a great role model. Just look at how wonderful Tyson turned out.

Cus was a user, not a saint. But don't let that get in the way of a myth that makes you feel good.

Mike Tyson was another myth. He never beat anybody that fought back.

If I was on my laptop if post Teddy talking a crying Tyson into believing in himself during the Olympic trials.

Maybe I know a thing or two about a thing or two. Maybe I don't.

Keep believing in Santa Claus Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 9:49 PM
Lazer MMA

Mike's issues did not occur after Cus died? 

Can I have a single source of a profesional supporting the claim that Cuz was a bad guy because all I read is 100 percent that it's not true. Did you hear it off camera? From who then?

We all know Cus saw greatness, so fuckin what he became a father to a boy of 13 FFS. What is the issue? What gives anyone the right to shit on the man??

3/6/14 9:50 PM
Bobby Lupo

Cus told Ali to his face that Rocky would have kicked the shit out if him if they fought in their primes. Cud also told Ali that Dempsey and Louis would crush him while Ali laughed at Dempsey and Louis video, mocking them for their primitive skills.

Somebody please post the Cus and Ali video from YouTube from during Ali's exile. It's awesome. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 9:51 PM
Bobby Lupo

Lazer MMA -

Can I have a single source of a profesional supporting the claim that Cuz was a bad guy because all I read is 100 percent that it's not true. Did you hear it off camera? From who then?

We all know Cus saw greatness, so fuckin what he became a father to a boy of 13 FFS. What is the issue? What gives anyone the right to shit on the man??

Believe what you want. Look a little deeper. Stop believing like a child. You sound like a child after hearing Santa wasn't real.

Grow up. Be your own hero. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 9:52 PM
Bobby Lupo

Tyson was a horrible human being before, during and after Cus. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 10:00 PM
Lazer MMA

Bobby Lupo - Cus told Ali to his face that Rocky would have kicked the shit out if him if they fought in their primes. Cud also told Ali that Dempsey and Louis would crush him while Ali laughed at Dempsey and Louis video, mocking them for their primitive skills.

Somebody please post the Cus and Ali video from YouTube from during Ali's exile. It's awesome. Phone Post 3.0

So fuckin what. He did not like Ali so you have the right to shit on him? Are you fuckin sick? He thought Wilt the stilt could chop Ali too, LMFAO so what?

“I always felt secure in my position as Ali’s trainer,” Dundee would tell me years later. “When Ali was broke during his exile, Cus gave him some money. Muhammad appreciated gestures like that and would bring Cus to camp on occasion.”

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/latest/feature/cus-d-amato-i-never-wanted-to-work-with-muhammad-ali-because-of-all-the-chaos-surrounding-him

Keep listening UG FFS, now get his damn video. I'm fuckin out, with another case closed source! So goes the Lazer.

3/6/14 10:05 PM
Lazer MMA

Bobby Lupo - 
Lazer MMA -

Believe what you want. Look a little deeper. Stop believing like a child. You sound like a child after hearing Santa wasn't real.

I don't need hero's and I don't make piker bets but I ALWAYS bring the sources.

"Can I have a single source of a profesional supporting the claim that Cuz was a bad guy because all I read is 100 percent that it's not true"?

Post nothing else if you can't TY

3/6/14 10:05 PM
Capnsavem
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Brotorious B.I.G - Dont know who that guy is but mike tyson os THE FUCKING MAN.

Iron mike might not be that great of a person, but mike tyson is a very analytical guy, very truthful about himself and has not delousions about the person he used to be. Mike tyson today is a scholar and a gentleman and i wont die happy unless i get to shake that mans hand one day Phone Post
So... You're not a boxing fan. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 10:09 PM
Lazer MMA

Bobby Lupo - Tyson was a horrible human being before, during and after Cus. Phone Post 3.0

Source?

After he stopped going back to brooklyn because he finally believed his dad (Cus) where is the source proving that claim prior to Cus's death?

O that's right you never bring sources. You just talk out of your ass.

3/6/14 10:28 PM
WoodenPupa
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know whether Tyson has changed or it's all just an act. For people who think it's impossible that he's sincere, what kind of evidence would it take to convince you otherwise? Or are you just saying that people like Mike can't be reformed?
3/6/14 10:56 PM
Ibangthr4Iambro
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Playwright - 
Ibangthr4Iambro - 
Bobby Lupo - 

I talked shit on Cus and nobody came at me because you know what he did was fucked up.. He's another jerk that's worshipped around here. Cus basically bought a kid from the juvenile justice system because the child was as physically developed as a strong grown man, and then forced that kid to spend his days learning the craft of boxing, never giving a fuck about what that kid did when he wasn't training, watching videos, eating or sleeping.

Get a shrink to watch Tyson's redemptive one man show. He's still that same psycho, but he can do it with a smile instead of a scowl now. He's still manipulating. 

He's still that same psycho,

so? At least the dude is genuinely trying to change. I think he is anyway I guess it's a matter of opinion to believe him or not. btw Lupo I enjoy your posts been a long time lurker don't post often even after joining but you know what you're talking about and are educated about the fight game, UG needs posters like that......way too many morons here who have no clue as to what they are speaking about.

You showed Lupo respect. You got potential, kid.

Thank you sir, although I've been around the UG for many yrs just usually do not have the time to comment that often.
3/6/14 11:16 PM
Good Sir
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike was the realest N-I-G-G-A, bruh
3/7/14 6:50 AM
Bobby Lupo

Lazer MMA - 
Bobby Lupo - 
Lazer MMA -

"Can I have a single source of a profesional supporting the claim that Cuz was a bad guy because all I read is 100 percent that it's not true"?

Your mother must wish she gave birth to a male child.

Get out of your house. Get out in the world. Meet people, talk to people, learn from people who've been around and know more than you. Talk to old timers at Gleason's. No, don't talk, just listen to the old timers. Go to the source, don't just Google.

3/7/14 7:06 AM
Bobby Lupo

Mike and Teddy in better times.

3/7/14 7:07 AM
Bobby Lupo

Cus' friend and biographer:

"Mike Tyson gets brought to Cus, who is immediately enamored with him. That part of the story is well known. One aspect that I think is interesting is Cus’ relationship with his acolytes – Teddy Atlas and Kevin Rooney. There was the famous story with Atlas pulling the gun on Tyson and Atlas getting dismissed. From Cus’ perspective, can you walk us through some of those events? How did Cus perceive that disruption? Why did he make some of the decisions that he made?

Just to put it briefly, why would I want to put cold water on hot coals? Cus is thinking Mike is my last hurrah. And if you were Cus – you have to think about it from Cus’ mindset – anybody that interferes and puts water on my hot coals that may be my final, homegrown heavyweight champion of the world, that I created from the get-go…my Sonny Liston was the way that Cus thought about it. Nothing was going to stop him from doing that. Teddy Atlas, no matter how good he was – and I do respect a lot of things about Teddy, I have his number in my cell phone – but he has just not come to grips with it yet. One day there will be a book or an interview where he decides to open up, but he’s not ready to open up and tell the truth about his angle and what he saw. Trust me, I gave him many opportunities.
Teddy didn’t like the way that Cus was favoring Mike. Several times, Cus would undermine Teddy in front of Mike and Teddy felt a loss of respect. By the way, the gun story is 100% true and Teddy definitely fired a shot.

3/7/14 7:09 AM
Bobby Lupo

cool video

3/7/14 7:29 AM
Bobby Lupo

Teddy's book was $1.99 on Kindle and free in every library. 

3/7/14 7:42 AM
ShamusO'nyou
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer MMA - 
Bobby Lupo - 
Lazer MMA -

Lazer

It seems like you ignore sources. The info has been posted on this thread. Does Teddy Atlas not count?

Cus compromised his principles for Tyson. Tyson was supposed to behave in school etc , but he didn't and Cus didn't care as long as he trained. You think thats responsible parenting? be a scum bag and bully -its ok as long as you can box?

The rules were not the same for Tyson as they were the other boxers in the house. He got special treatment because he was the best fighter. You think there is any chance Cus would have adopted a kid with Tysons behavioural problems if he couldn't fight? It was pure opportunism.

Cus isn't all bad or all good. Nobody is. You seem to want to believe he is all good. If thats what you want to believe , fine. Just don't masquerade as some crusader for justice and truth when you ignore the actions of the people we are talking about. They are verifiable and speak for themselves. I am not sure what else you want.

"Source?

After he stopped going back to brooklyn because he finally believed his dad (Cus) where is the source proving that claim prior to Cus's death?

O that's right you never bring sources. You just talk out of your ass."

Case in point. Tysons action speak for themselves and he admits much of it. To portray Tyson as some sort of decent person in the past takes some serious wilful ignorance. Tyson himself says he was still going back to Brooklyn. It seems like you know very little about the subject and expect others to walk you through every little bit.

One story that gives a glimpse of how Mike and Cus were ; Tyson had finished his bowl of spaghetti. He then started to eat the bowl of another boxer who wasn't there. Camille told him to stop, but Cus said words to the effect of " no, go ahead . You are going to be champion of the world". Obviously that is far from Tyson's worst crime, but I think it gives an insight into mentality of him and Cus.

What kind of example is that to set for any kid, never mind a kid like Tyson?

The only thing that convinces most people Tyson has reformed or is even capable of reform is that he was a good boxer. If an anonymous person had this life /record most of you would believe him inherently bad and want him executed before he caused any more harm.
3/7/14 8:19 AM
Lazer MMA

Edited: 03/07/14 9:03 AM
Bobby Lupo - 
Lazer MMA - 
Bobby Lupo - 
Lazer MMA -

Your mother must wish she gave birth to a male child.

Get out of your house. Get out in the world. Meet people, talk to people, learn from people who've been around and know more than you. Talk to old timers at Gleason's. No, don't talk, just listen to the old timers. Go to the source, don't just Google.

Hey Lupo, what is amazing beyond all fuckin reason is that you are still posting after the 1st post on top of this page. You're so fuckin stupid I guess you can't understand even that level of owange. You say Cus said this and that about Ali to prove he's a bad guy, to which I prove he fuckin gave Ali  $$$.

Thus no suprise you can't understand the value of sourcing claims to prove credibility.

Ok piker bettor loser boy I have a bet for you. There is this Mod who has held a small bet of $500 for me and another poster (the most he would bet)). So we can try to use him to prove the bet and hold cash.

It's a forever bet, the loser never posts again on the UG or you can pick an amout of money to send him (Min. $500) which I will match.

"Your mother must wish she gave birth to a male child.

Get out of your house. Get out in the world."

It just so happens I live in a pretty famous house with my wife and daughter. No biggie but because you post as such talking out of your ass as ever, will you bet? I bet that my house has a 'name' (as famous houses sometimes do), that I can prove I live there and there are even pictures of it on line (there are of some famous houses sometimes) which the mod can post for you (all contigent on the mod agreeing of course). What do you say? Send me a PM if you want the bet.

3/7/14 8:26 AM
ShamusO'nyou
219 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lazer

Have you been drinking?
3/7/14 8:53 AM
Lazer MMA

Edited: 03/07/14 9:04 AM
ShamusO'nyou - 
Lazer MMA - 
Bobby Lupo - 
Lazer MMA -

Lazer

It seems like you ignore sources. The info has been posted on this thread. Does Teddy Atlas not count?

Cus compromised his principles for Tyson. Tyson was supposed to behave in school etc , but he didn't and Cus didn't care as long as he trained. You think thats responsible parenting? be a scum bag and bully -its ok as long as you can box?

The rules were not the same for Tyson as they were the other boxers in the house. He got special treatment because he was the best fighter. You think there is any chance Cus would have adopted a kid with Tysons behavioural problems if he couldn't fight? It was pure opportunism.

Cus isn't all bad or all good. Nobody is. You seem to want to believe he is all good. If thats what you want to believe , fine. Just don't masquerade as some crusader for justice and truth when you ignore the actions of the people we are talking about. They are verifiable and speak for themselves. I am not sure what else you want.

"Source?

O that's right you never bring sources. You just talk out of your ass."

Case in point. Tysons action speak for themselves and he admits much of it. To portray Tyson as some sort of decent person in the past takes some serious wilful ignorance. Tyson himself says he was still going back to Brooklyn. It seems like you know very little about the subject and expect others to walk you through every little bit.

One story that gives a glimpse of how Mike and Cus were ; Tyson had finished his bowl of spaghetti. He then started to eat the bowl of another boxer who wasn't there. Camille told him to stop, but Cus said words to the effect of " no, go ahead . You are going to be champion of the world". Obviously that is far from Tyson's worst crime, but I think it gives an insight into mentality of him and Cus.

What kind of example is that to set for any kid, never mind a kid like Tyson?

The only thing that convinces most people Tyson has reformed or is even capable of reform is that he was a good boxer. If an anonymous person had this life /record most of you would believe him inherently bad and want him executed before he caused any more harm.

In my first post here I pointed out a lack of sources and asked for sources to back the extravent claims up. I mentioned I did not know much on the topic and that I never heard Cus shit on prior. I mentioned that I was not saying it was true of false (info on Cus) just that I'd like sources to prove out some of the extravent claims about him and others extravent claims made in the thread on other topics on both sides. Now It was a long thread and I did not go over it with a fine tooth comb so I may have missed some granted.

I must point out the examples you refence of eating spagetti or a favoritism are not extaordinary IMO. This was a kid that needed help, was stealing and was going to be in jail most of his life maybe. Perhaps if Cus had another 10 years things would have been different? You reference none of the extravent claims in your post that were made in the thread. I never claimed Gus was a good guy but I posted several sources which do suggest he was not a bad guy. I have NO dog in the fight and am the futrhest thing from an expert on the topic. I hope that clears things up for you.

3/7/14 9:02 AM
Lazer MMA

ShamusO'nyou - Lazer

Have you been drinking?

Look I know your the poster who said the fighter that most of the old time MMA fans picked to win the tourney in the other thread had no chance to win and it was " beyond argument" that he could win. I can see why you'd be butt hurt after what followed. I thought we agreed not to post to eachother though?

Look you or any member of the UG can take me up on the bet, no limit, no issue. Have a great day.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.