UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do You Root for the White Guy or Black Guy?

3/6/14 7:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kostakio
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Racism is a topic we never get tired of discussing on this forum.

First of all, we have to admit that there's a certain amount of cultural pride that is inherent in all human beings. If you turn on the television and there's a boxing match on, you will usually root for the guy who looks most like you. But if you find out that the guy who looks less like you is from your hometown, you may start rooting for him. Or if the guy who isn't your ethnicity was pronounced dead after an incident at a public pool when he was only nine and has beaten the odds to vie for the welterweight championship.

For me, it doesn't take much. If the guy looks like Wesley Snipes is the underdog and the guy who looks like me is unbeaten (I know that's never going to happen), I'll be rooting for the black guy simply because I always root for the underdog. All things being equal, every bit of history aside, people are going to root for the person who looks most like them. I don't think I'm different from anyone else who's being honest. I don't know if that's good or bad, I'm just saying it's built into all of us and we should just accept it. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:45 PM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Err I root for who I want to win most. Guess I dont follow your way of choosing Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:46 PM
Kostakio
493 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - Err I root for who I want to win most. Guess I dont follow your way of choosing Phone Post 3.0
I don't think you read my post correctly then. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:47 PM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
757 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio -
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - Err I root for who I want to win most. Guess I dont follow your way of choosing Phone Post 3.0
I don't think you read my post correctly then. Phone Post 3.0
Probably let me check Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:51 PM
Outlaw'd by Lytle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will typically support any British fighter (apart from Scottish) regardless of colour.

Other than that I'll tend to pick whoever is the most exciting fighter (IMO). Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:52 PM
sherlock1988
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I don't know both guys I normally just want to see one guy crush the other to get some buzz going. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:53 PM
brahmabull81
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/06/14 7:54 PM
Kos, I dont necessarily agree with your assessment. I feel thats the way it is in the boxing world for the most part, but what I always loved about MMA was how fighters gained fans through their styles and personalities, NOT due to some allegiance with skin color or nationality (at least for us Americans, I know a lot of other countries' fans tend to be on the nationalistic side).

I dont ever just root for a guy who looks like me, because thats illogical to me. I look for something in either guy that I either like or dislike, and go from there. It might be the underdog thing, or it might be some mannerism or thing the person said before the fight that would lead me to rooting for him or cheering against him. It might just be the stance, which indicated whether they are skilled or a goober; it might even be the shadowboxing before the fight, or the record the fighter has and who theyve beaten. Never in all of my times watching sports/fights have I blindly rooted for a white guy because im white and didnt know who to pick.
3/6/14 7:54 PM
I LOVE DIAZ (no homo)

doesn't matter to me I'm white and I'm pulling for Jimi on sat. Rampage is one of my all time faves, Aoki is great.
3/6/14 7:54 PM
Deputy Porker

Who gives a shit what colour they are I don't care how cliche it is, if he can fight I don't care if he's purple Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:56 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
935 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Akio

3/6/14 7:57 PM
Kostakio

brahmabull81 - Kos, I dont necessarily agree with your assessment. I feel thats the way it is in the boxing world for the most part, but what I always loved about MMA was how fighters gained fans through their styles and personalities, NOT due to some allegiance with skin color or nationality (at least for us Americans, I know a lot of other countries' fans tend to be on the nationalistic side).

I dont ever just root for a guy who looks like me, because thats illogical to me. I look for something in either guy that I either like or dislike, and go from there. It might be the underdog thing, or it might be some mannerism or thing the person said before the fight that would lead me to rooting for him or cheering against him. It might just be the stance, which indicated whether they are skilled or a goober; it might even be the shadowboxing before the fight, or the record the fighter has and who theyve beaten. Never in all of my times watching sports/fights have I blindly rooted for a white guy because im white and didnt know who to pick.
But that was my point. You only rooted for the person who didn't look like you because you liked things about him. However, within the first few moments of turning the television and not knowing either of the guys, who were you rooting for as they went toe to toe? Phone Post 3.0
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't think I could care any less about someone's color or race. Even nationality (outside of the Olympics, which is set up as a country vs country competition) I don't care. I can think of fighters of every color whom I enjoy watching fight.
California

One of my idiot friends is an Asian dude. He will worship any Asian or almost-Asian (ala Hawaiian, etc) fighter's nuts and also absolutely hate whichever white guy they are fighting. He shit himself when Rich Franklin won the decision over Yushin Okami lol. If it's a white guy vs any minority, he will root for the minority. Fuckin dumbass.

3/6/14 7:58 PM
Kostakio

California - One of my idiot friends is an Asian dude. He will worship any Asian or almost-Asian (ala Hawaiian, etc) fighter's nuts and also absolutely hate whichever white guy they are fighting. He shit himself when Rich Franklin won the decision over Yushin Okami lol. If it's a white guy vs any minority, he will root for the minority. Fuckin dumbass.

haha Now that IS racist! Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 7:59 PM
GSPsShadyHandWraps
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I root for the guy with the biggest guns. Not the fag doing sun salutation poses
3/6/14 8:00 PM
Kostakio

GSPsShadyHandWraps - I root for the guy with the biggest guns. Not the fag doing sun salutation poses
lmao Sorry, but I already used my vote-up for the day. Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 8:07 PM
UGCTT_OBEY
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I don't know who is fighting I normally base my decision on who I want to win a a few things

Who he is affiliated with
What his main strengths are (bjj, boxing...)
Attitude
Entrance music

There race never really comes into play Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 8:08 PM
Vote me down

i only root for white people and im black
3/6/14 8:08 PM
Kostakio

kalt - Lame. I could care less. Same with nationality. I hate seeing people cheer on one guy solely because he was born in a certain patch of dirt.

I do oppose the overt, hyper-religious people though. Keep in mind religion is not a race. I'm always gonna root against people like Benson Henderson, mister "all things are possible through christ except beating anthony pettis."
You're rooting against people with different religious beliefs than you? And I'm lame? Phone Post 3.0
3/6/14 8:10 PM
OneSidedWar

I normally root for the guy in blue....CRIPS FOO! Phone Post
3/6/14 8:11 PM
California

It's couldN'T care less.

I hate it when people butcher cliches.
3/6/14 8:13 PM
buddie
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

California - It's couldN'T care less.

Relax! There is no use in crying over water under the bridge bro.
3/6/14 8:17 PM
Steve Perry
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I suffer from white guilt so if two white guys are fighting I root for Herb Dean
3/6/14 8:17 PM
brahmabull81
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kostakio - 
brahmabull81 - Kos, I dont necessarily agree with your assessment. I feel thats the way it is in the boxing world for the most part, but what I always loved about MMA was how fighters gained fans through their styles and personalities, NOT due to some allegiance with skin color or nationality (at least for us Americans, I know a lot of other countries' fans tend to be on the nationalistic side).

But that was my point. You only rooted for the person who didn't look like you because you liked things about him. However, within the first few moments of turning the television and not knowing either of the guys, who were you rooting for as they went toe to toe? Phone Post 3.0

I am more of a computer when it comes to fight picking. I make amateur fight picks every event, and mostly pick with my knowledge of the fighter/s involved unless one of my all time favorites is fighting, and even then Ill pick against them if the odds of them winning are low (like Hendo-Shogun 2, im picking Shogun to win, even though Dan is my all time favorite fighter).

If I have no knowledge of the participants, I just hope for a good fight and then start rooting for someone as the fight goes on and I see something I like out of one or both of the fighters.
3/6/14 8:19 PM
brahmabull81

buddie - 
California - It's couldN'T care less.

Relax! There is no use in crying over water under the bridge bro.

Young Biff: Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Old Biff: It's *leave*, you idiot! "Make like a tree, and leave." You sound like a damn fool when you say it wrong.

Young Biff: All right then, LEAVE! And take your book with you!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.