UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Hendricks: Lawler 'more dangerous fight' than GSP

3/7/14 9:56 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Georges St-Pierre arguably gave Johny Hendricks the toughest fight of his UFC career and his first loss in two years at the time they fought. As good as St-Pierre is, Hendricks believes his fight with Robbie Lawler at UFC 171 is a tougher matchup:

"Georges, you knew that he was going to throw a jab, a high kick, a low kick, and try to take you down. That's his gameplan," Hendricks said. "Robbie, if you make a mistake, we've seen it time and time again, he can knock you out. So you really have to make sure that you stay focused, cross all your t's and dot all your i‘s, and make sure that you stay solid. That's a lot more dangerous fight.

"But those are also the more fun fights for me. You don't know what's going to happen. All you know is that you're going to step into an Octagon and you hopefully get your hand raised."

read entire article...

3/7/14 10:04 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think there's a difference between tougher and "more dangerous" Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:07 AM
Stu Cazzo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Robbie tries to knock your head off.

GSP tries to give you a bloody nose via jab. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:10 AM
BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tougher than the dude that beat him? Hendricks is fucked then?

3/7/14 10:12 AM
TFK_HossPearson
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He might actually have to give it more than 70% this time. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:13 AM
teamquestnorth
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stu Cazzo - Robbie tries to knock your head off.

This Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:18 AM
TFK_HossPearson
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

teamquestnorth -
Stu Cazzo - Robbie tries to knock your head off.

This Phone Post 3.0
Yep. Stupid, inefficient jabs...
Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:18 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BrocksSwockRanTrane_onShane -

Tougher than the dude that beat him? Hendricks is fucked then?

They changed the thread title now Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:29 AM
disbeliever
360 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
I don't think it's necessarily a great thing when you knew exactly what your opponent would do and still lost.
3/7/14 10:35 AM
Stu Cazzo

lol @ posting the Koschek pic. That fight was so damn boring.... 5 fucking rounds of jabs Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:41 AM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stu Cazzo - Robbie tries to knock your head off.

Or a broken orbital bone that would mean blindness should you leave the country w/i 6mo because your shit is so ruined the pressure change would obliterate you...

He also tries to give you that...

3/7/14 10:43 AM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stu Cazzo - lol @ posting the Koschek pic. That fight was so damn boring.... 5 fucking rounds of jabs Phone Post 3.0

And straights and hooks (mainly lead counters) and kicks... But ya, I agree it was a pretty boring match and one where the old GSP would've opened up and finished Kos after he broke his eye in round 1

Still, pretty much shows how stupid it is to pretend jabbing doesn't do anything when he literally destroyed Kos' face w/i one round of jabbing lol

3/7/14 10:44 AM
MattyECB

disbeliever - I don't think it's necessarily a great thing when you knew exactly what your opponent would do and still lost.

Ya, but he was only going 70% so it's not his fault he lost, DUHHH

3/7/14 10:50 AM
MattyECB

Edited: 03/07/14 10:53 AM
Herman Munster - It's not GSP's fault he peaked early while Lalwler took a decade of mediocrity to finally peak to an elite level in this sport. Over a decade ago UFC sent the same Pete Spratt that chopped up Robby Lalwer's legs and defeated him over to the UCC to get choked out in a round by the unknown GSP. GSP then entered the UFC and started chasing titles when Lawler was getting slapped around and knocked out by A toothpick kid named Nick Diaz and his JAB. Then he decided he didn't want to fight at 170 anymore. GSP knew his place right from the get-go. Robby Lawler had a fuckin decade to prove he was a more dangerous WW than GSP. This talk now means nothing. None of these guys have won a title or know what it means to defend the title, or take 18 months off for complete ACL reconstruction, only to come back and defend the title 3 more times in a year. Let's see how dangerous either are off 18 months ACL reconstruction. Both are are 1 bad injury away from being irrelevant.

Ppl really forget how brutal early GSP matches were.

KO and Subs via Riddum

Started blowing everyones mind and outwrestling wrestlers with Karate and GnPing them all into oblivion and finishes

Then he started slowing down on the finishes, but still kept ruining people's shit a la Fitch and getting subs or sweet GnP TKOs

Then after the second BJ fight like a decade into his career he started to slow down and get less exciting lol (@ that point he still had an over 70% finish rate tho IIRC)

Ppl forget how long it was before he hit that 7 fight decision streak and that he still managed to get like a perfect 40round streak during it lol Dude was always dominant, but the guy got older and complacent, what do you expect?

I also still can't get over that stat -- that since his last knee surgery he absorbed 50% of all his career blows lol Retarded that he could have that kind of drop off and still manage to go out on top

Like you said major ACL construction and, IIRC, he also had sprain (not sure if it was a partial tear grade 2) in his other knee in another cruciate ligament so fuck that's a hard 2year lay off to fight back from lol

GSP is like the Rodney Dangerfield of MMA, particularly online, he never gets respect and ppl tend to view his career with myopia or tunnel vision -- either because he only recently retired or they started the sport late and don't remember what it was like when the rando Canadian started tearing through the WW ranks like wet tissue paper

3/7/14 10:50 AM
Stu Cazzo

MattyECB -
Stu Cazzo - lol @ posting the Koschek pic. That fight was so damn boring.... 5 fucking rounds of jabs Phone Post 3.0

And straights and hooks (mainly lead counters) and kicks... But ya, I agree it was a pretty boring match and one where the old GSP would've opened up and finished Kos after he broke his eye in round 1

Still, pretty much shows how stupid it is to pretend jabbing doesn't do anything when he literally destroyed Kos' face w/i one round of jabbing lol

Compare that to what Robbie, Woodley, and Silva did to Josh.

Shit...even Drew Fickett. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:53 AM
kyle223
128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Herman Munster - It's not GSP's fault he peaked early while Lalwler took a decade of mediocrity to finally peak to an elite level in this sport. Over a decade ago UFC sent the same Pete Spratt that chopped up Robby Lalwer's legs and defeated him over to the UCC to get choked out in a round by the unknown GSP. GSP then entered the UFC and started chasing titles when Lawler was getting slapped around and knocked out by A toothpick kid named Nick Diaz and his JAB. Then he decided he didn't want to fight at 170 anymore. GSP knew his place right from the get-go. Robby Lawler had a fuckin decade to prove he was a more dangerous WW than GSP. This talk now means nothing. None of these guys have won a title or know what it means to defend the title, or take 18 months off for complete ACL reconstruction, only to come back and defend the title 3 more times in a year. Let's see how dangerous either are off 18 months ACL reconstruction. Both are are 1 bad injury away from being irrelevant.

Well said. You gotta learn to disregard what people say about GSP. He'll always be considered one of the GOAT's, if not the GOAT. The professionalism and dedication to the sport that he displayed throughout his career is unrivaled by any other.

Regardless of what some people think, you can't deny the fact that GSP avenged his only two losses ever in the UFC, holds a number of records, and ruled arguably the strongest division in the UFC for almost a decade. Let's not forget he came back from a career-ending injury and won his next three fights and overcame a huge head kick from Condit that almost put him out.

Imo, no one ever comes close to matching GSP's accomplishments inside the cage.
3/7/14 11:01 AM
Osbot

Stu Cazzo - 
MattyECB -

Nobody gave Kos a bigger beating than GSP. GSP ruined Koschek. Koschek took one of the worst beatings in WW history.
3/7/14 11:08 AM
MattyECB

Edited: 03/07/14 11:08 AM
Stu Cazzo - 
MattyECB -

Not sure who you mean by Silva, but for real? You even remember the Ficket match? Wasn't that like Kos' 3rd match ever lol

You're picking one of his first matches before he was even nearly polished (you can find a helluva lot of bad losses w/i a fighter's first 10, and I can certainly make Lawler or Woodley look like shit doing that), and his last two matches where Kos has clearly dropped off and has become pretty irrelevant.

I think those are Kos' only two KO losses ever and they've both just happened, were b2b, and occured w/i a minute of the fight starting... Wanna know what Robbie was doing when GSP fought Kos the second time? Shit all in SF

I agree it was a boring match and it was during GSP's slide near the end of his career, but reasons like those above are why I hate MMAth. You can't look at individual fights in a vacuum. Fighters are constnatly changing as are their matchups, and picking individual losses it would be damn easy to make Ficket Woodley and Lawler look shitty  --

ZOMG Lawler got subbed by Shields who can't finish a fight to save his life

ZOMG Woodley lost to post-TRT fiasco Marquardt after being UFC banished and as his slide to shittiness was starting.

Edit: Fraggle also had a finish by Thiago. I can't believe I forgot that hillarious uppercut KO and it's marvelous shoops

3/7/14 11:18 AM
Frank Mir Cat
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope GSP shows up, and criticizes the winner's performance.
3/7/14 11:21 AM
ranier wolfcastle
989 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hendro probably wins this fight with 5 takedowns

3/7/14 11:21 AM
Kimbos Lice
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 11:25 AM
MattyECB

Osbot - 
Stu Cazzo - 
MattyECB -

Nobody gave Kos a bigger beating than GSP. GSP ruined Koschek. Koschek took one of the worst beatings in WW history.

If you go through his career his opponents have some of the most drastic switches to dropping below 500 after losing to GSP. He really did break opponents.

Ignoring his fights post-surgery since those fighters haven't had much of a chance for follow up fights, and moving backwards in time:

Shields: 3-1-1

Kos: 2-3 (>.500)

Hardy: 2-3 (>.500)

Alves: 2-3 (>.500)

BJ: 3-4-1 (>.500)

Fitch: 7-3-1 (He got robbed by BLAF's butthurtedness and deserved the only GSP rematch imo hitting another huge streak after losing)

Serra: 2-1 (>.500)

Hughes: 4-4 (.500)

Nothing statistical in such a cursory glance, without accounting for omitted factors and with no pre-set parameters, but I always found it noteworthy.

Especially compared to a demon like AS who would destroy his oponents, but whose opponents would then fare decently afterwards or have a career renaissance, e.g. Maia, Vitor, Griffin, Franklin, Marquardt, Leites..etc Again, I'm being a GSP nuthugger in this thread and swinging far in the devil's advocate stance, but I do think there's something to the above and it reminds me of that amazing Prime-Tito line from back when he was a murderer...

Cant' find it, but it was something along the lines of -- if you get a submission or a quick KO people complain it was lucky and that they deserve a rematch. You grind someone out, ground and pound them, and make them feel helpless and not only the fans know who won, but the fighter knows he has nothing for you

3/7/14 11:26 AM
NiteProwleR
1279 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hendricks post fight, brutal. Look at the huge black welt on his chin.

3/7/14 11:26 AM
da Vinci 81
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stu Cazzo -
MattyECB -

And yet Hendricks barely squeaked by him. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 12:16 PM
Judontkneedthisname3744

^ BOOM /thread

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.