UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> OK OKs return of 8-man tournaments

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
3/7/14 12:54 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Modern mixed martial arts was born with fighting three times in a night, or four, with just three or four rules. That was a spectacle, not a sport, and it very nearly died. The UFC was resurrected by the Unified Rules, which added dozens of rules, including a prohibition on a fighter fighting more than one time in one night.

In a startling turn around, the highly respected Joe Miller, head of the Oklahoma State Athletic Commission, has okayed a return of one-night, eight-man tournaments for MMA competition. 

Olympic gold medalist Kenny Monday has put together a new promotion called Battlegrounds MMA. Former Strikeforce matchmaker Rich Chou serves as the matchmaker. The tournaments will be called Battlegrounds: One Night Elimination (O.N.E.).

Managing partner Bryan O'Rourke petitioned the Oklahoma AC, and it was unanimously accepted by the commission on Wed. Bleacher Report is making the petition available here.

Elbows will be allowed in the final round only. Prelim bouts will be three, five-minute rounds, and the finals five, five-minute rounds. This means a fighter could fight eleven five-minute rounds in a night, which does not seem reasonable. Tournament winner received $50,000.

The debut event will be held June 27, in Tulsa, OK.

"We've all been a part of one-night and Grand Prix elimination tournaments, and Kenny has competed countless times in a tournament format, so we recognized the energy this format brings," O'Rourke told Bleacher Report.

"We were confident we could get the format approved if we could show the safety levels went above and beyond current standards, and we've set the bar for MMA globally. The Oklahoma State Athletic Commission is progressive, and fighter safety is their credo, so receiving their unanimous approval was proof that our plan provides the greatest fighter safety standards in the world."

"There is a major gap between the UFC, Bellator and WSOF. We're looking toward a grass-roots base of wrestling and MMA fans supporting a revitalization of the one-night, eight-fighter elimination tournament to fill that empty space."

3/7/14 1:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
375 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 1:16 PM
OneGloveJimmerson
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How long of a rest period does a victor get between bouts? I assume there will be reserve bouts seeing as there is no way a guy looking like Diego (post Kampmann) could go on to fight twice more.

I can easily see this being approved seeing as the last 1 night 8 man touney i can remember in the US was in Newkirk, OK in 2010. Pretty sure Drew Fickett won it all but I can't be certain.

I say allow IVs between bouts (at least before the final match) to ensure brain hydration and increase the safety of the victor's mental health.
3/7/14 1:19 PM
Pro Ice
1932 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool

Ordinary men have became legends in single night tournaments!

World Champions, the best in the world for that moment!!

3/7/14 1:21 PM
zebers3
417 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OneGloveJimmerson - How long of a rest period does a victor get between bouts? I assume there will be reserve bouts seeing as there is no way a guy looking like Diego (post Kampmann) could go on to fight twice more.

I can easily see this being approved seeing as the last 1 night 8 man touney i can remember in the US was in Newkirk, OK in 2010. Pretty sure Drew Fickett won it all but I can't be certain.

I say allow IVs between bouts (at least before the final match) to ensure brain hydration and increase the safety of the victor's mental health.

Yeah, pretty sure that was Shine Fights. It was pretty impressive too, I remember him subbing Krazy Horse, Dennis Bermudez and Carlo Prater all in the first round.

3/7/14 1:24 PM
OneGloveJimmerson
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also should have mentioned I think a simple hydration test should be given on weigh-in day to ensure that only weight cut was body fat though diet. If that means a broader weight range (for instance 155-160) than so be it! If you have to dry yourself out like raisin to make the weight than this contest is not for you!
3/7/14 2:49 PM
ntcdef
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

COOL

3/7/14 3:06 PM
rkm456

OneGloveJimmerson - Also should have mentioned I think a simple hydration test should be given on weigh-in day to ensure that only weight cut was body fat though diet. If that means a broader weight range (for instance 155-160) than so be it! If you have to dry yourself out like raisin to make the weight than this contest is not for you!

It'd be easier to just get rid of "weigh in days", and go to same day weigh ins like they do in the IBJJF. It pretty much forces you to fight at your walk around weight, or very close to it. It also eliminates all the dehydrating nonsense. Unless, of course you choose to make weight through sweating it out, generally makes for a short tournament though.
3/7/14 3:09 PM
Brigham
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe I missed it but what weight class is this?
3/7/14 3:10 PM
Brigham
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rondasmole - I loved seeing Royce fight multiple times in UFC 1, but something doesn't feel right about this. I don't know anything about their organization, but the UFC (in the early days) was lucky no one was seriously hurt. Also, who is there to stop a guy who is injured or impaired from his first fight from trying to go on for the $$? Phone Post 3.0

A doctor will... Just like they did in PRIDE...
3/7/14 3:16 PM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkm456 -
OneGloveJimmerson - Also should have mentioned I think a simple hydration test should be given on weigh-in day to ensure that only weight cut was body fat though diet. If that means a broader weight range (for instance 155-160) than so be it! If you have to dry yourself out like raisin to make the weight than this contest is not for you!

It'd be easier to just get rid of "weigh in days", and go to same day weigh ins like they do in the IBJJF. It pretty much forces you to fight at your walk around weight, or very close to it. It also eliminates all the dehydrating nonsense. Unless, of course you choose to make weight through sweating it out, generally makes for a short tournament though.
would lead to more brain damage and death from idiots still trying too cut, better do the hydration testing.

Also 11 5 minute rounds is a lot.

Great news though. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 3:16 PM
Devlin
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^i'd like 2 5 minutes with a possible overtime round. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 3:18 PM
UK Asylum

Does only the winner get paid?

Would be shit if you win 2, lose in the final, and don't get paid anything.
3/7/14 3:24 PM
OMA (tm)

I'm excited. Good job OK!!

Joe Miller, Kenny Monday, and Bryan O'Rourke have re-opened a fun/throwback style of fighting Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 3:25 PM
OMA (tm)

Devlin - ^i'd like 2 5 minutes with a possible overtime round. Phone Post 3.0
Good call.

No need for a 3rd if one guy is controlling the fight Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 3:27 PM
6ULDV8

Word

3/7/14 3:33 PM
FETT_Loadin76
931 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Now thats something I would pay for. Phone Post
3/7/14 3:36 PM
Chromium
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rkm456 - 

How the fuck else do you think people make weight? Yes, just like they do in wrestling and judo and grappling people will still make weight by sweating it out, because they're too competitive for their own good, only there'd be a greatly increased potential for head trauma. Why do you think T.J. Grant was on the shelf for over 6 months from a mere concussion he got in BJJ? The guy wasn't hydrated.

3/7/14 3:39 PM
Devlin

OMA (tm) -
Devlin - ^i'd like 2 5 minutes with a possible overtime round. Phone Post 3.0
Good call.

No need for a 3rd if one guy is controlling the fight Phone Post 3.0
Also prevents the rare 3 round draw which could be a big issue. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 3:47 PM
Sydney Crosby's Iron Jaw

Good. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 3:48 PM
Chromium
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know this all sounds hunky dory in theory, but unless we're talking about elite Flyweights, people are gonna be gassed all to fuck by the midway through the second round. I'd rather the rounds were shorter, in part because the fights would be more entertaining.

Maybe something like:

Quarterfinals: 4x4, 4 minute overtime if scores are tied.

Semifinals: 4x4x4

Finals: 5x5x5

Also, include at least one alternate bout.

3/7/14 3:49 PM
Demoreo Dennis
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demoreo dennis for president yay Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 3:54 PM
OneGloveJimmerson

rkm456 - 

Day of only makes since if you have to step on a scale right before you go into the cage. People will still drain themselves in order to gain a edge even if it means racing to rehydrate up to within minutes of a bout. Water cutting still runs rampant in sports with same day weigh-ins look at wrestling at all levels.
3/7/14 3:57 PM
Nexuscrawlers
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pro Ice -

Very cool

Ordinary men have became legends in single night tournaments!

World Champions, the best in the world for that moment!!

Agreed. Anyone who can win a one night 8 man is a certified badass imo. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 5:22 PM
Greg Southworth

Agreed Beau!

Read the rules that are up on the Bleacher Report article guys - some of the top neurosurgeons, ophthalmologists, and cardiologists contributed to the format.

This tournament format is safer than a standard amateur or pro non or championship individual bout.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1984108-oklahomas-battleground-mma-revives-eight-man-one-night-tournaments Phone Post 3.0
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.