UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> First UFC cutwoman: Swayze Valentine

3/7/14 7:18 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Most people have a pretty clear image of what a cutman looks like.

This is the UFC's newest cut person, Swayze Valentine.

This is what you probably thought of when you heard Swayze.

Not any more!

Bloody Elbow's Steph Daniels sat down with Swayze and talked about being the first female cutman in the UFC. Swayze joins a long list of pioneering females into the formerly male dominated fields of fighting (Gina Carano), journalism (Loretta Hunt), reffing (Kim Winslow), promotion (Shannon Knapp), publicity (Ken Wenk) and now working a corner as a cutgirl.

In the interview Swazye details how she learned her craft, doing nothing but taping hands from coast to coast, and that was just the beginning. But learning her job was the easy part... 

I've had promotions that didn't want me to work events, but more often than not, whenever I had a problem, it was a fighter or coach that didn't want me to wrap their fighter's hands or grease their fighter before entering the cage.

I've been cussed at as I'm working on a fighter, I've been told to get the F out, I've been physically assaulted in the cage by a coach...I've kind of had it all. I've definitely had my struggles. You just keep going.

I'm not going to throw out a name, but I will say that it was a coach in Las Vegas who still works at a very well known gym. All the coaches know what a cutman's responsibilities are; it's to keep their fighters safe, and that's it.

So, I was waiting to go into the cage to take care of his fighter. First round he was fine, but in the second round, he started swelling. I told the camp I was going to go in, because you have to communicate with the camp so they know what's going on.

Nobody said anything to me, so I went in and over to the fighter to take care of him. The coach came up behind me and said, ‘We don't need no F'n cutman, get the F out of here' and he chucked me. I couldn't even believe it. Of course I didn't do anything back, but I stood there for a second, stunned because nobody has ever put their hands on me in anger before in my life, so that was definitely a first.

I took the professional approach and told the commission what had happened, but they had already seen it. They told him to stay away, and a good thing that came out of that incident, now at every rules meeting, at least with this organization, the ISKA lets everyone know, all the coaches and fighters, that they can't put their hands on anybody like that, or they could incur a felony charge.

I definitely wasn't expecting to get into this industry to be assaulted by my peers, but it was a lesson learned, and I'm glad I had it. I'm glad for any challenges that come my way that I can learn from or others can learn from. A lot fewer challenges are coming my way now, because people are finally starting to realize that I'm not a threat, that I'm just here to take care of the fighters.

Read entire interview...

3/7/14 7:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
XxLiveBaitxX
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/07/14 7:20 PM
I've had the time of my life, and I owe it all to you
3/7/14 7:27 PM
Jake95
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/7/14 7:32 PM
The_Spider
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pain don't hurt.
3/7/14 7:35 PM
DanCrase
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jake95 -

So she has 2 kids? I'll bet her "chimney shoot" is massive!

... Cause that fireplace is pretty big Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 7:39 PM
Korpiklaani
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shes a really cool person and so dam cute
3/7/14 7:49 PM
newbie2013
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Definate would Phone Post
3/7/14 7:52 PM
rbl
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I always wondered is why don't they get registered nurses or people from some medical field to do cuts? I realise it's a niche in itself but someone who's worked in an ER has patched up plenty of cuts already and they have a good understanding of bandaging/strapping. I was a personal trainer for a doctor and he wrapped his own hands beautifully, he learned from a YouTube video the night before. It might also be good to have someone with an understanding of concussions other than the ring doctor who can have a quiet word in a corner's ear if the fighter is not right. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 8:03 PM
Hocky Balboa
10654 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In between rounds, will she let her fighter be put in the corner? Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 8:06 PM
EvilMaster

Wood!
3/7/14 8:24 PM
Flexo
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cwilf Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 8:42 PM
crowbar
835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like a walking billboard IMHO.

3/7/14 8:51 PM
Mustard Tiger
609 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hotter than some of the current ring card girls.
3/7/14 8:55 PM
PisoMojado

Yeah..she might as well hold up the round card on her way in to tend to the fighter. Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 9:17 PM
ArtisticStrength
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In for dougie gif Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 10:54 PM
quality

So Stitch sponsors cut people?
3/7/14 11:02 PM
bcolflesh
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

quality - So Stitch sponsors cut people?

She is his protégé.
3/7/14 11:32 PM
UGCTT_SidRival, Rival Fitness 661
573 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yum Phone Post 3.0
3/7/14 11:44 PM
DanaWhitesHumulity
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters be gettin boners and shit.
3/8/14 2:59 AM
MMA_Hole
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This doesn't seem all that radical to me. Most nurses are female and a cut man is essentially a fight-specific nurse. I can't help but wonder if this would have been posted at all if she wasn't attractive.

Speaking of which, there sure are a lot of 14 year old boys in this thread.

3/8/14 3:06 AM
sirjoshua

4th member of The Shield?
3/8/14 3:47 AM
Blunderhooks
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cutperson imo Phone Post 3.0
3/8/14 5:38 AM
Thuglife13
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Future Mrs. Thuglife13
3/8/14 7:05 AM
ElTriangulo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Musashi - I would.

I logged in to make this exact post
3/8/14 8:02 AM
MainelyBJJ
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody know who the coach was who put his hands on her??

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.