UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: UFN 37 was on Fight Pass because FOX passed

3/10/14 11:07 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1196 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The hardcore fan base was mystified when Alexander Gustafsson was fighting on the top of a card that could only be seen in the US on Fight Pass.

During the UFC Fight Night 37 pre-fight scrum

"The whole Fight Pass thing was confusing to people," acknowledged White. "I think we did a bad job of messaging it, not only to our fans, but also to our fighters. I heard Gustafsson said yesterday 'I'm a little bummed out - I went from PPV to Fight Pass.'

“First of all, the fight is being distributed to 350 million possible viewers throughout the world. This fight is available in Canada, in Brazil, Mexico, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, The Dominican Republic, Venezuela, The Phillipines, Australia, Mongolia, India, New Zealand, The UAE- Abu Dhabi and all this countries down there. In the UK, the entire will be on BT Sport, and the main event for the first time ever here will be on Channel 5, open TV to everybody. We're in Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Croatia, and Israel. All of those countries in Israel, 350 million homes.

The A m e r i c a n s have to pay for it on Fight Pass. So the reason that this happened is, we added 10 more fights, we went to FOX and try to see if FOX would pick up these 10 more fights, and they didn’t.  So that’s why we put these on Fight Pass."

"They create their budgets at the beginning of the year and it wasn’t in their budget to pick up these fights. You know, not to say they don’t pick them up later, or whatever could happen with the deal, but that’s what happened. So, it’s either no onebody gets to see them or you put them on Fight Pass.  

"So, I hope that clears up some of the questions about Fight Pass. And anybody else and the rest of the world and countries I didn’t call, that I didn’t say a minute ago, they get it on Fight Pass too. Which of course all these people in other countries are pumped to pay for it on Fight Pass, whereas the Americans who are used to getting these fights for free, some of them are a little twisted, but whatever, what are you going to do.”

3/10/14 11:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jesus Cannons
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 11:15 AM
CurtisTheConqueror
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even though this could just be a lie. At least Dana didn't just do his " fuck all of you eggs!!" Thing. He actually civilly explained why the card was on fight pass. A step in the right direction Mr. Baldfather Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 11:23 AM
Kirik
1783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

I guess the company is so international now they don't automatically see it from the US persective, but I was kinda baffled until I saw this. Imagine how Gustafsson felt. Explanation was better late than never.

3/10/14 11:27 AM
MMAIOGIC
595 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

But MMALOGIC told me UFC rules the roost on Fox Sports 1???

3/10/14 11:32 AM
grkblood
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm sure Gustafsson breathed a sigh of relief when he found out the fine people of Mongolia got to watch him fight.
3/10/14 11:35 AM
ChrisWeidmanLEGitWon

Used to getting these fights for free? Shiiiiiiiiittt my cable bill says otherwise. PPV 's special package to have the channels on my cable to watch some cards. That being said I like fight pass. Just don't piss on my face and tell me it's water. Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 11:36 AM
Freddie Gavaria
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh.
3/10/14 11:36 AM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

This is why I don't like the Fox deal. The content is spread out on too many platforms and now they aren't even supporting live fight cards. Hopefully after the deal ends the UFC will move to a 24 hour streaming channel with on demand like the WWE has. Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 11:42 AM
Stuart Scott's Eyeball

*cough* bullshit *cough* Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 12:16 PM
DTW's Power Bottom
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The US already pays a hugely disproportionate amount of the UFCs revenue. Fuck it lets make them pay for the actual free stuff too. But hey, at least the rest of the world is finally starting to get that ppv price increase. Which still leaves them paying 20-50% of US ppv price. 

So you hear the new norm. It was on fight pass otherwise no one would see it. Smh

3/10/14 12:30 PM
dannyapodaca
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fox is trying to tell them their product is starting to stink Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 12:34 PM
ender852
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dannyapodaca - Fox is trying to tell them their product is starting to stink Phone Post 3.0

ouch, but i think you might be right. stop watering down the fights and disparaging fighters for a loss or two. create stars and people will watch.

3/10/14 12:36 PM
teamquestnorth
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wand vs chael will be on fsp1?

Thats good news Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 12:37 PM
DTW's Power Bottom
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones - 
MMAIOGIC -

They do. But they already have a contract with the UFC and picked up a bunch of other sports property licenses like college basketball and so forth. They only have so much time and money to spend. But they will pick and choose for example they bought the TUF Brazil finale between Chael and Wanderlei. It was set to go on PPV but now it will air from Brazil live on FS1.

Overall, I think it is better that Fox didn't buy these extra cards because they were all international cards that should be marketed more towards the region they are airing instead of the US market. Phone Post 3.0

You hear that? He's glad it's not on Fox for free and is instead behind a pay wall. Baffling

3/10/14 12:43 PM
rRooster
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Put all the events and ppv's on fight pass and charge me $25 a month and make it a six month commitment. I'll keep giving you my money. Right now I'm having a hard time justifying paying $700 a year for ppv $120 a year for fight pass and another $200 extra a year to get fox sports 1 and 2. $1000 a year to watch a sport on tv is alot of money even when it's my favorite sport.
No other sport costs even half that price to follow every game there is. Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 1:02 PM
MMAIOGIC
595 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nobones - 
MMAIOGIC -

They do. But they already have a contract with the UFC and picked up a bunch of other sports property licenses like college basketball and so forth. They only have so much time and money to spend. But they will pick and choose for example they bought the TUF Brazil finale between Chael and Wanderlei. It was set to go on PPV but now it will air from Brazil live on FS1.

Overall, I think it is better that Fox didn't buy these extra cards because they were all international cards that should be marketed more towards the region they are airing instead of the US market. Phone Post 3.0

Ah, so this is the acct you will be posting from, MMALOGIC?

3/10/14 1:04 PM
player101
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In recent UFC history has another event not been aired in the US?

So Dana would have us believe that a few weeks after they launch their online pay service, Fox, for the first time, decides not to carry a live event..... That's believable.

I guess fox doesn't want to carry the UFC Fight Night 39 either (Nog v Nelson). I have no issue with Fightpass but Dana is full of shit.
3/10/14 1:04 PM
ShoreBreaker420
1013 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol at the us is use to getting these fights for free, ppv is free? Dana you got it twisted bud Phone Post 3.0
3/10/14 1:08 PM
DTW's Power Bottom

So you can get 

mlb 140

nba 120

nfl 200

hockey 160

And a ticket to go see 2  live games of each of those

...for what they want us to pay per year just for the UFC, not even all mma.

3/10/14 1:23 PM
dabigchet

i think there is some 1/2 truths going on here. perhaps the UFC demanded an increased rate from Fox knowing that they were already working on Fight Pass for those areas without a TV deal.

The larger theme here as Kirik pointed out is that the UFC doesn't necessarily need to be concerned with the US as much as they used to.

But I do have to wonder if all of these shows, and all of these different ways to watch is going to mean that fans are just going to give up. It's almost like every country the UFC expands into makes the product that harder to follow.

3/10/14 1:57 PM
Glovegate

"whereas the Americans who are used to getting these fights for free, some of them are a little twisted, but whatever, what are you going to do."

Geee, let me think... Offered for free, then started charging, now fans are unhappy... What could possibly be done about that...
3/10/14 2:02 PM
The Mouth

Next time....

PUT THEM ON YOUTUBE OR FACEBOOK.

If its free for the rest of the world... for fucks sake.

3/10/14 2:20 PM
kevsh
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UFC is making one rookie mistake after another. This Fight Pass nonsense was inexcusable - and that's even if you believe Dana's explanation 100%.

About 10 comments in this thread already are bang on so I can't quote them all but the fact is they f**ked up ... again.
3/10/14 4:22 PM
Kenso
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is he talking about? Have a friend in Central America and he gets all the UFC fights for free. If they start charging them now, the majority won't be paying a monthly fee since they are already used to free fights. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.