UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Royce says Gracie On line University is BS

3/19/14 11:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rocky Dennis
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/19/14 6:49 PM

Well for some reason I can't copy and paste it, but Royce just posted on his FB page that Gracie online University is not the real deal.  Says his nephew's online cirriculum is not a true representation of Helio philosphy, teaching method, etc. 

Oh, and that it is his duty to make sure his father's teaching method is not mis represented.

Damn!

Edited for Royce's exact post:

With all due respect, our nephew's curriculums and online programs are not a true representation of the teaching method, belt grading, and philosophy that we learned from our father, Grandmaster Helio Gracie. 

They have the right to modify our battle-tested jiu-jitsu system as they see fit, but we feel that it is our duty to ensure that our father's name is not misrepresented. 
While videos, books and online resources may serve as supplements to jiu-jitsu practitioners, provenly, they can never, by any means, substitute live lessons in a qualified academy.

3/19/14 11:55 AM
warez
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch you mouth call Gracie University lame Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:03 PM
UGCTT croy_00
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait, so is this literally an online course for BJJ? As in, the sport that is all about feel, and putting in the work, you can now take online.....

3/19/14 12:11 PM
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not like it's multiple choice and you get a belt.

I think they're trying to expand and keep the integrity of the techniques. Are you gonna learn this stuff and win Pan Ams? Probably not, but when you get around purple it's gonna make you a pretty good teacher imo cause you're gonna know every nuance of the technique.

Just my opinion

3/19/14 12:14 PM
Munk

no worse than his seminars.
3/19/14 12:15 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I personally have no problem with a guy getting a blue belt for demonstrating he knows how to put moves together, even if he has zero feel for real rolling, and he'd get murdered by a white belt with six months in a gym.  Even guys who don't "get it" are going to get blue belts if they put enough time in.  But I think there's a big difference from purple up.

3/19/14 12:18 PM
HandyDarsh
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think it has its uses, but teaching in person will always be better IMO.

If you want to learn BJJ and you're in a remote location, this online university sounds like a good idea.

3/19/14 12:19 PM
gokudamus

cesar said something similar...there is internal strife within the gracie family!!!!

gokudamus

Your online belt will only be recognized as a joke in any real academy.

2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In B4 Twitter war

3/19/14 12:28 PM
gokudamus

i wonder if they are all just hatin on rener because he is remotely stealing their clients

3/19/14 12:28 PM
Bin6h4m

Of course. He would rather you get your privates with him for $3-400 an hour. If you have a partner the online videos are really a great start. To rank up it's not all that easy, there is a lot of moves that you need to be able to do. They rate you off of how well you pay attention and follow the details and when you are doing those moves in class it is literally the EXACT same instructions. The class techniques are split up in slides the same way the videos are. Also, the videos give you a ton of nice drills you can do with your partner. The downsides are obvious though. You don't want to roll with just one person all the time but sometimes people aren't able to train at a gym for many different reasons.

Getting ranked up is not easy though. At the Academy in Torrance you literally do the exact same test to rank up as you do online. It's the same test. Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:30 PM
shaqitup
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like they're hating on his lucrative business.

Yeah obviously it isn't an exact substitute, maybe belts shouldn't be given out in the same manner.

But it can teach you techniques.
3/19/14 12:31 PM
Bin6h4m

I did my test at the Academy with one of their best instructors and it was great. I studied the videos at home and it made a huge difference for me. Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:32 PM
Eskoe1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://instagram.com/p/ltpjh1L8Ny/ Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:33 PM
2JupitersTooMany

I knew a guy who got his blue in the gym, then used the series to work with guys in his "Gracie Garage" at home.  He was a teacher in Native American studies and was working with younger guys from the program, and it worked out great. 

3/19/14 12:35 PM
TeamRenzo4Life

The technique lessons are solid.

If you live in a remote community like the farther northern towns in Ontario with no access to a BJJ academy this is extremely useful.

3/19/14 12:37 PM
Bin6h4m

2JupitersTooMany -

I knew a guy who got his blue in the gym, then used the series to work with guys in his "Gracie Garage" at home.  He was a teacher in Native American studies and was working with younger guys from the program, and it worked out great. 

That's the thing too. If you can show you can do a set number of techniques. And with repetition you can point out what they are doing wrong and help them with the knowledge you have it can help a lot of people. Isn't that what jiu jitsu is really all about anyways? People talk about "legit" belts but really, this is all made up bullshit to begin with. Who cares about the belt as long as you are doing something you love. If you want to take your game to the next level you are going to need to do stuff other than just online tutorials obviously. It is a great thing to have as a resource. Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:41 PM
TheBearStare
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why is he just now commenting on it. they started that shit years ago
3/19/14 12:41 PM
cheesesteak
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

warez - Watch you mouth call Gracie University lame Phone Post 3.0

VTFU! I haven't hear a "watch you mouth" Royce reference around here in years!!!! I still remember that Royce Q&A when Royce came on here and said that. Classic UG moment.
3/19/14 12:42 PM
eljamaiquino

gokudamus -

Who gave Helio his black belt? Gracies studied under Kimura for less than a year, yet gave themselves belts... Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:45 PM
Paul_Blanka_Harris

I don't get the hate Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:48 PM
Bin6h4m

eljamaiquino -
gokudamus -

Who gave Helio his black belt? Gracies studied under Kimura for less than a year, yet gave themselves belts... Phone Post 3.0
LOL Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:53 PM
eljamaiquino

Bin6h4m -
eljamaiquino -
gokudamus -

LOL Phone Post 3.0
Whoops. Meant they studied under Koma for a year. Kimura schooled them. Mistake eees normal... Phone Post 3.0
3/19/14 12:58 PM
CAT DAMMIT
379 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.