UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Freak Level ATHLETES in MMA (All-Time)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/23/14 9:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cletus Redpecker III
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cameron0000 - 
R1WARRIOR -
Sugar Hay Hobinson -
R1WARRIOR - I don't see it that way. GSP and Diaz are good because they train very hard, they are amazing athlete because they train, they have discipline and dedictation.

BJ, Jones and Fedor are not good because they train 10 hours a day 365 days a year, ( they don't need to) but because they are naturaly gift, they are natural fighter, born with alien skills, just like Anderson Silva. Phone Post 3.0
LOL AT BJ TRAINING 10 HOURS A DAY. MORE LIKE 10 HOURS A WEEK Phone Post 3.0
That's what i was saying. Phone Post 3.0
You need to go back to school if you think that's what it says. Phone Post 3.0

What a gem.

Quoted so I can show people how stupid humans can be.
3/23/14 9:09 AM
Bobby Lupo
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/14 9:08 AM

Hershel Walker and Brock

The rest of them would be playing real sports for real money if they were such great athletes. Not fighting in a cage for Dana's pocket change.

3/23/14 9:14 AM
MattyECB
232 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyloveshugs - 
MattyECB - 
andyloveshugs - 

bj isn't a freak athlete. his only crazy thing athletically is he's always been able to put his legs behind his head, which a lot of people can do. i can do that. doesn't make me a freak athlete. 

freak athletes:

lesnar

kerr

coleman

randleman

yoel romero

hector lombard

rousimar palhares

tyron woodley

jake ellenberger

vitor belfort

guillard

I can put my legs behind my head, but I can't get a BJJ black belt in 2 years or have the balance to hop on one leg while giant men try to rip me to the ground...

It's amazing what some ppl consider athleticism on this board and to say BJ is no different than a regular fan is insane to me

i didn't even kind of imply bj penn is no different than a regular fan, you're acting like a woman here. 

i said bj penn isn't a natural athlete, he's not some dude who could suceed at anything based on athleticism alone. he talks in his book about being less of an athlete than lots of guys he fought, especially din thomas. bj was a natural fighter, like anderson. he's very good, naturally, at hitting and not getting hit. there's freak athletes, guys who are natural fighters who pick up the sport easily because it comes naturally to them more than it does to other people (anderson, bj, fedor, igor going from kickboxing, losing a few times in his first 6-10 fights, and within 2-3 years of training dominating nhb, shogun winning pride tourney with less than 5 years of training, etc), and guys like gsp who have freak discipline. 

Backpeddling much?

You said the only crazy thing athletically that BJ can do is put his legs behind his head, and that you could also do this.

You were saying athletically, BJ isn't different from yourself or most other guys... Me apparently too if feet behind his head is the only crazy innate athleticism you've seen in BJ throughout his ridiculous career...

Not really sure how else to interpret what you said, but I guess that makes me a woman?

You're also just arguing semantics now lol Natural Fighters Vs. Natural Athletes?

You're just arbitrarily grouping innate physical characteristics under "natural fighters" when you could easily call them athleticism. Hell look how many baseball players are fat, but whenever they poll athletes baseball consistently gets ranked as the hardest sport to pick up -- my point being athleticism takes a number of forms including --

incredible spatial awareness, reflexes, speed, balance, flexibility, chin(Relates to neck muscles and ability to roll), raw strength, cardio, even body type and frame like your musculature and reach/wingspan (the latter including back and being a great indicator of clinch and other abilities in sports like boxing)  I mean look at Phelps, his freak athleticism is partially owed to the shape of his body alone

...You seem to interpret freak athlete like a 12yo kid who's just about to hit puberty and jacks off to Dragon Ball Z and Pro Wrestling mags -- Not everyone has to have a cock-grenade titfucking their 25Lbs apiece Pec-titties to be considered a freak athlete a la Lesnar

3/23/14 9:15 AM
BrandonWaltonMusic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kalt - Demetrious Johnson
Jon Jones
GSP

And for his size, Cain

Brock would tire after 3 minutes, so no, Brock is an impressive physical specimen but not athlete.

Brock is absolutely an incredible athlete. Why he tried out for the NFl he did the combine (after not working out for a while) said he weighed 283 pounds and then proceeded to; run the 40 yard sprint in 4.65 seconds, did a vertical jump of 35 inches a long jump of 10 feet and the benched 225lbs for 30 reps.

Beyond athletic, he's the most impressive in UFC history.
3/23/14 10:59 AM
Samoa
823 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheChinInspector - I wouldnt call Jon Jones a "freak athlete"

He doesnt have big power. He's not fast etc. He's actually kind of akward and goofy.

Its Jones' body type that allows him to what he does. His freakish reach

I see it like this:

GSP=freak athlete

Jones = immense size and reach

Herp derp Phone Post 3.0
3/23/14 1:07 PM
Bry Bry

SilverSpoon1996 - Hershall Walker was a beast at almost 50.. if that guy had real training and time to develop imagine him at 20 something not 40 something.

yep, Herschel Walker is definitely a freakish guy...if he would have started training at age 15, hed be a champion..

Kerr is not a great natural athlete, neither is Coleman..

i also dont think Bj Penn is a great natural athlete..great balance, toughness and fight instincts yes but not a great athlete..
3/23/14 1:42 PM
Colboyo
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Valaszuez
3/23/14 5:32 PM
BooZe

Haulport -

So who are the greatest, naturally gifted athletes to ever fight at a high level in MMA? My short list (in no particular order) is:

BJ Penn
GSP
Nick Diaz
Fedor
Jon Jones
Brock Lesnar
Cain Velasquez
Kevin Randleman

Mind you, guys like Kevin Jackson don't count because he never had success a the highest levels of MMA. This list is only of the top athletes who are/were top level fighters...

Bj, nick Diaz, and fedor are not athletes. Everyone else on the list is, missing aldo. Phone Post 3.0
3/23/14 6:36 PM
Haulport
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BooZe - 
Haulport -

So who are the greatest, naturally gifted athletes to ever fight at a high level in MMA? My short list (in no particular order) is:

BJ Penn
GSP
Nick Diaz
Fedor
Jon Jones
Brock Lesnar
Cain Velasquez
Kevin Randleman

Mind you, guys like Kevin Jackson don't count because he never had success a the highest levels of MMA. This list is only of the top athletes who are/were top level fighters...

Bj, nick Diaz, and fedor are not athletes. Everyone else on the list is, missing aldo. Phone Post 3.0

So all the guys who don't have the kind of big, bulging muscles that give you a boner aren't athletes.

I got it.........

3/23/14 6:45 PM
Haulport
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyloveshugs - 

bj isn't a freak athlete. his only crazy thing athletically is he's always been able to put his legs behind his head, which a lot of people can do. i can do that. doesn't make me a freak athlete. 

freak athletes:

lesnar

kerr

coleman

randleman

yoel romero

hector lombard

rousimar palhares

tyron woodley

jake ellenberger

vitor belfort

guillard

The BJ comment is completely idiotic and putting Hector in there is retarded. He was an Olympic athlete but so was Mark Coleman. Hecotr has gassed on several occassions, that pretty much takes him out of the list of freak athletes.

3/23/14 7:03 PM
JohnnyChrist

Threads that pointlessly argue semantics and have arbitrary rankings of fighters are sweet. Keep it up.

3/23/14 11:10 PM
ghostboner
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karo Parysian?
3/23/14 11:16 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/23/14 11:17 PM
Vitor
Overeem
Couture (to do what he did at his age...)
Randleman
Coleman
Kerr
Lesnar
GSP

EDIT: Just realized OP said "naturally"... lol
3/24/14 1:02 AM
Haulport

JohnnyChrist - 

Threads that pointlessly argue semantics and have arbitrary rankings of fighters are sweet. Keep it up.

I love people that are half-smart. Above we have a guy who thinks (because he knows what the word "semantics" means) he's smart and has made a clever remark but in reality he does not realize that EVERY conversation on this planet besides discussions about hard, scientific experiments can be described as he describes this thread.......

Fight Club - Being clever by peromocibob
3/24/14 1:47 AM
Maksemous

There are different kinds of athleticism. Joe Frazier couldn't overhead press 160lbs, swim, and ran extremely slow for an athlete.

However, if Joe were alive and in his prime there wouldn't be a single guy on the UFC roster who could stand and trade blows with him.

The point of MMA is to find your gifts and apply them to receive the best possible outcome.

Example: Brock used his strength and speed to overpower and overwhelm opponents

Example: Diaz uses his conditioning to take opponents into deep waters and drown them.

Example: BJ uses his flexibility

Example: Randleman used his explosiveness.

The beauty of MMA is that there are endless possibilities, you can apply your own unique athletic or "Freak" gifts to achieve the best possible result.

I think this little Asian dude in the said something like that in the 60's and 70's...
3/26/14 3:00 PM
Haulport

Maksemous - There are different kinds of athleticism. Joe Frazier couldn't overhead press 160lbs, swim, and ran extremely slow for an athlete.

However, if Joe were alive and in his prime there wouldn't be a single guy on the UFC roster who could stand and trade blows with him.

The point of MMA is to find your gifts and apply them to receive the best possible outcome.

Example: Brock used his strength and speed to overpower and overwhelm opponents

Example: Diaz uses his conditioning to take opponents into deep waters and drown them.

Example: BJ uses his flexibility

Example: Randleman used his explosiveness.

The beauty of MMA is that there are endless possibilities, you can apply your own unique athletic or "Freak" gifts to achieve the best possible result.

I think this little Asian dude in the said something like that in the 60's and 70's...

Was it this little asian dude?

3/26/14 3:29 PM
thebearbohland
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe not all time but Melvin, Phil Davis, and OSP maybe!! All pretty "explosive, fast, and powerful" lol Phone Post 3.0
3/26/14 9:38 PM
Wasa-B
362 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take my seminar!
3/26/14 11:06 PM
FETT_buchu8oolong
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't seen it mentioned. But I'd add Hendo. His chin, the power he can put on that H-bomb. I think it would qualify as qualities that border on "freakish" that helped him in his MMA career. I know I've seen other high level fighters comment on his grip and overall strength in general being shocking. Coming from other grapplers, that I think is saying something. Phone Post 3.0
3/26/14 11:12 PM
FETT_buchu8oolong
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd also say BJ and Diaz fall into that freak chin category with Hendo. I mean you have to figure that is a ability you can't really train to acquire, and being able to be pretty confident in your ability to absorb what an opponent can give changes the whole way you can approach a fight. Diaz vs Daley particularly comes to mind as one that hinged on Diaz relying on his chin. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/14 8:49 PM
Haulport

FETT_buchu8oolong - I'd also say BJ and Diaz fall into that freak chin category with Hendo. I mean you have to figure that is a ability you can't really train to acquire, and being able to be pretty confident in your ability to absorb what an opponent can give changes the whole way you can approach a fight. Diaz vs Daley particularly comes to mind as one that hinged on Diaz relying on his chin. Phone Post 3.0

While I wasn't thinking chins, it is an interesting thing. ome guys just have an insane ability to take punches absolutely no one else could and stay conscious and/or recover. Must be a weird (and unpleasant) feeling fighting a guy who comes right at you knowing he can take your best punch like nothing.....

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.