UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is it time for Shogun to take a long break?

3/24/14 8:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Blazing Knees
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That nose is going to take a LONG time to heal and probably will break again under the slightest of jabs. He's been getting punished physically for a long time as well, been in some wars has shown incredible heart.

But, he's lost 3 of his last 4 and got beat up really bad by Jones, Gus and Dan, even Chael. What does the guy do? Where does he go from here? He will probably get a long medical suspension anyways. Have we seen the last of Shogun?

3/24/14 8:35 AM
Billyz
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

part of me says I hope so he has nothing to prove, another part can never not watch shogun always hoping he comes back healthy.
Sort of like the cro cop feeling, you just wish somehow against all logic that the stars align and the fighter that once had the night of there lives years ago in japan can somehow return
3/24/14 8:37 AM
Ep32nv
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was surprised when they flashed that he's 6-7 in the UFC.

Love to see him fight, hate to see him lose, maybe some time and a drop to MW is in order. Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 8:39 AM
Letibleu
1716 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://youtu.be/tYfrOMjbHg0

3/24/14 9:27 AM
louden swain
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just posted somewhere else but I still feel Shogun is very relevent in the title / division...

I jut think Dan is a very bad matchup for Shogun. Dan makes Shogun fight very slow paced, and non aggressive...but against most other LHT's Shogun can fight his fight...

Obviously for good reason he has to fight different against Dan because his fists are made of titanium...
3/28/14 5:44 AM
Blazing Knees

louden swain - I just posted somewhere else but I still feel Shogun is very relevent in the title / division...

I jut think Dan is a very bad matchup for Shogun. Dan makes Shogun fight very slow paced, and non aggressive...but against most other LHT's Shogun can fight his fight...

Obviously for good reason he has to fight different against Dan because his fists are made of titanium...

I disagree with your assessment-Dan actually gets Shogun to brawl- basically head hunt with big looping punches and nothing else. He wants to ko Dan so badly that he throws his game plans out the window when the fight starts and starts wanging

3/28/14 6:09 PM
Throwin'Knuckles
116 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shogun always goes for the KO. That's why I love to watch him fight. But in reality, at this stage in his career, that's his weakness. He stands and trades. Over time all those exchanges take a toll. It's sad because he's still pretty young.

Still pulling for him to win. Maybe MW?
3/28/14 7:19 PM
MrAntichrist
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think a change in weight class would be good for him, and the thought of Machida/Shogun at 185 is arousing to me. To be honest though, Shogun's body is worn out, I don't think he'll be able to fight for much longer. It's a shame because he's one of my favorite fighters, I like Dan a great deal as well but I was rooting so hard for Shogun in this fight Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 7:31 PM
EvilMaster

He lost to one of the greatest mma fighters of all time. Why should he take a long break?

Top of the food chain fighters don't take breaks.
3/28/14 9:28 PM
Haulport

I am VERY conflicted about this...

I love Shogun and was rooting for him over Dan, but Shogun seems to make these mental errors that cause his losses and his body has been taking a real beating for a long time.

- Jones killed him
- He looked lackluster at best against Gus who is looking great right now
- He fought Chael stupidly and lost when he didn't have to
- He was kicking the shit out of Dan, BADLY, then decided to lay on him after he dropped him the 2nd time instead of go ape shit and finish him. He knows Dan's only chance against him is a standing punch yet he didn't take him down which he could do and didn't finish him when he had the chance and gave the Dan a sliver of an opportunity and Dan eats that shit up (and KO's those who make the smallest mistakes).

IMO Jones should fight Gus and if he wins move to HW. Shogun should sit a year in the meantime and heal up a bit. With Jones not at the top Shogun is in the mix for the belt.

And he really REALLY needs to start fighting smarter or he will keep losing. His losses seem mental and that worries me because he was a fantastic, in ring strategist in the past and that seems to have totally disappeared...

: (

My guess is that the UFC will have him fight Rashad or Phil Davis next, get LnPed on and cut him.
3/28/14 9:41 PM
Jackmerius Tacktheritrix
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he needs to drop or consider a long layoff. Lhw isn't what it once was, but there are still a lot of killers there and shogun has a lot of miles on him. I just don't see him beating any of the top five there and even if he did there's just about zero chance he'd ever beat Jones. If he was ever going to make the jump nows the time with Anderson being out and keeping anyone from getting a shot at the belt. Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 9:43 PM
Elias Cepeda
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The truth is that, from a brain health perspective, he and hundreds of other guys could have and should have retitred many years ago. He's one of the best ever but that doesn't mean that his beatings don't take something out of him or that we/he should ignore seriously diminishing results. I hope he and all of them do whatever is best for them and that they have the financial security to fight only if they want to. 

Shogun is a legend and a warrior of a singular variety. And, a class act. All the best to him as he heals up. 

3/28/14 9:56 PM
Blazing Knees

EvilMaster - He lost to one of the greatest mma fighters of all time. Why should he take a long break?

Top of the food chain fighters don't take breaks.

As I stated, he's lost 3 of the last4-      3 of those he either took a terrible beating or was ko'ed. Where does he go from here? Is he going to win the belt? I don't think so. he's a rich man from fighting, he can walk

3/28/14 10:42 PM
theoutsiders
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport-

I know Dana does crazy shit all the time, but I'm pretty confident shogun is on the short list of people who won't get cut.

The guy is a legend. As most would agree, we would watch him fight no matter what. He never seems to be in the spotlight for negative press, and don't think he's ever had problems with UFC brass.

I just can't see him being cut, maybe Dana will ask to meet about retirement but if shogun goes out, it will be on his own accord. Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 11:03 PM
Fedoral Crime
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haulport - I am VERY conflicted about this...

I love Shogun and was rooting for him over Dan, but Shogun seems to make these mental errors that cause his losses and his body has been taking a real beating for a long time.

- Jones killed him
- He was kicking the shit out of Dan, BADLY, then decided to lay on him after he dropped him the 2nd time instead of go ape shit and finish him. He knows Dan's only chance against him is a standing punch yet he didn't take him down which he could do and didn't finish him when he had the chance and gave the Dan a sliver of an opportunity and Dan eats that shit up (and KO's those who make the smallest mistakes).

IMO Jones should fight Gus and if he wins move to HW. Shogun should sit a year in the meantime and heal up a bit. With Jones not at the top Shogun is in the mix for the belt.

And he really REALLY needs to start fighting smarter or he will keep losing. His losses seem mental and that worries me because he was a fantastic, in ring strategist in the past and that seems to have totally disappeared...

My guess is that the UFC will have him fight Rashad or Phil Davis next, get LnPed on and cut him.
Great post. VU Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 11:36 PM
rumble_fish
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys are crazy. Shogun looked great up until Dan smashed his nose in. He was moving well and kept a good pace, there's no shame in getting caught by Henderson. If anything, this fight should be viewed as a testament to how tough Henderson is. The grisly vet kept it together after getting knocked down a couple times and proved that he only needs one opening to end a fight.
3/29/14 6:27 AM
Blazing Knees

I always thought he looked like he could drop 20 lbs easily. He's not exactly shredded or anything. I also think he needs to do some weight lifting training. Maybe a weight class drop and a new camp will invigorate him

3/29/14 8:34 PM
Haulport

Fedoral Crime - 
Haulport - I am VERY conflicted about this...

- Jones killed him

Great post. VU Phone Post 3.0

Thanks. back atcha

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.