UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: UFC worth 3.5 billion, some say more

3/24/14 1:12 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1070 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

UFC president Dana White recently had lunch earlier this month in London with Lucy Kellaway, columnist for the highbrow Financial Times. It was just before UFC Fight Night London: Gustafsson vs. Manuwa.

I try to get him to give me a tutorial on the economics of cage fighting. The top three fighters, he says, have made fortunes of $30m dollars or more.

“We don’t let the media know a lot of the numbers. It pisses them off,” White declares. He tells me that the biggest source of revenue for UFC is pay-per-view TV – the most popular fights are watched by 1m people paying $50 each – but refuses to say anything more.

Using the oldest trick in the journalist’s book, I drop into the conversation a figure of $1bn, which was what the New York Times estimated the business was worth a couple of years ago. Is that number still correct?

White chews on a slab of mozzarella taken from his second starter and says nothing at all. Then he whispers, “$3.5bn. Some would say more.”

I ask how he reached that number and he replies, mysteriously, “We have numbers. You know what I mean?”

Yet in the US his critics claim growth has stalled, with fewer fans tuning in to watch fights. Two of the biggest champions – Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva – are not currently fighting.

“I’ve been listening to people tell me that we we’re going to fail for 13 years," said White. "The media is full of s---. The company grows bigger every year.”

Both those stars are coming back, he insists, and reels off a list of other fighters. And it’s not just men, women now fight too. “Have you heard of Ronda Rousey?” he asks.

“She’s a rock star, man,” he says. “The women are different than the men – way more emotional. They’re a lot more catty. I’ve been trying to figure out women my whole life and now I’m trying to figure them out on a different level.”

Though fans love him, they don’t do so uncritically. He got a lot of stick last year when Georges St-Pierre, face mashed up and barely making sense after a fight, said on TV that he needed a break. At a press conference, White said the champion couldn’t have one. When I ask if he regrets being so unfeeling, he shrugs.

“That wasn’t about what you thought it was about. Here’s the bottom line; I’m never going to be the good guy, no matter what I do or what I say. I run a company with 500 of the baddest dudes in the world and I am the boss.”

Are bad dudes harder to manage than the norm? 

“Nah. They’ve got smaller egos than journalists. They are smart guys. And some of them are smarter than me!” 

I laugh, thinking he’s made a self-deprecating joke but then, seeing his expression, stop at once.

Our talk shifts to the future and I ask if the Fertitta brothers might one day sell up.

“Maybe,” he says, which isn’t the answer I’d expected. “At the end of the day we’re all young guys.” But for now the three of them love working together. Their secret? “No ego. People don’t believe that about me but I’m completely ego-free.”

As this is not the popular view of White, I ask him to explain. “

“I’ll tell you this. How many times do you think I’ve been offered to write a book? Big money. Three million. One time I sat down and I said, ‘I’m going to do it.’ But I got so f---ing sick of talking about myself, by day two, I was done.”

Read entire article...

Before anyone scoffs at the 3.5 billion dollar valuation, consider that Sheikh Tahnoon paid $200,000,000 in cash for 10% of the UFC, giving the UFC a two billion dollar valuation, and that was back in 2010.

3/24/14 1:16 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Malvert the Janitor
814 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And that's not including the locker room bonuses.

....wait a minute....... Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 1:20 PM
whoabro
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Without knowing any of the financial, that seems like a reasonable valuation to me Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 1:23 PM
Attila
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"The women are different than the men – way more emotional. They’re a lot more catty."

The good thing about Dana speaking his mind is that you'll get a nice gem here and there. I think we've found one.
3/24/14 1:23 PM
Jesus Cannons
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana got tired of talking about himself after day two of trying to write a book????

THAT I don't believe. Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 1:27 PM
MoomBah
377 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who do you think is in the $30 milllion dollar club?

1. GSP
  2. Andy
  3. Jon
  4. Maybe Chuck/Randy

3/24/14 1:27 PM
Zed Wayne Zed
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The guy can lie with the best.

Gotta love the fight game.

3/24/14 1:29 PM
General Tao
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok Dana so how about you act like it Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 1:30 PM
DTW's Power Bottom
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoomBah - 

1. GSP
  2. Andy
  3. Jon
  4. Maybe Chuck/Randy

Id be shocked if Jon was even in the 10 mil club

3/24/14 1:32 PM
DTW's Power Bottom
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Ronda is no gsp or Andy. Sorry to tell you dana

3/24/14 1:37 PM
NFABeeJay
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DTW's Power Bottom -
MoomBah - 

1. GSP
  2. Andy
  3. Jon
  4. Maybe Chuck/Randy

Id be shocked if Jon was even in the 10 mil club

About to say this Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 1:41 PM
Chupacabro
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any rag that censors "shit" but leaves "fucking" in the article is ok in my book.

Would subscribe. Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 1:49 PM
TBA11
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Somehow CandyCrush is worth $7B. How is that possible??? Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 1:54 PM
Dougie
848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inerestingread.

3/24/14 1:56 PM
Dougie
848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aso, is that an article about he UFC and Dana Wite or about food?

3/24/14 1:58 PM
Gomrad
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the Sheikh was taken for a ride on the magic carpet...

"Before anyone scoffs at the 3.5 billion dollar valuation, consider that Sheikh Tahnoon paid $200,000,000 in cash for 10% of the UFC, giving the UFC a two billion dollar valuation, and that was back in 2010." Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 2:04 PM
Dougie

Gomrad - I think the Sheikh was taken for a ride on the magic carpet...

"Before anyone scoffs at the 3.5 billion dollar valuation, consider that Sheikh Tahnoon paid $200,000,000 in cash for 10% of the UFC, giving the UFC a two billion dollar valuation, and that was back in 2010." Phone Post 3.0

I don't think so. if you look at the global possibility of the UFC, it has the potential. The must have shown one hell of a business plan.

3/24/14 2:05 PM
jasonhightower
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/24/14 2:05 PM
Gomrad - I think the Sheikh was taken for a ride on the magic carpet...

3.5 billion doesn't seem crazy unrealistic.  Obviously before anyone invests in the UFC they would need to be comfortable of the valuation.

Like them or not, the UFC has expanded quite a bit globally the past few years.  The number of revenue streams they have not are significantly higher.

3/24/14 2:10 PM
Letibleu
1661 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Under the right circumstances
3/24/14 2:11 PM
MisterHawkeMMA
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoomBah - 

1. GSP
  2. Andy
  3. Jon
  4. Maybe Chuck/Randy

Brock!
3/24/14 2:28 PM
shaqitup
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ 3.5 billion
3/24/14 2:29 PM
MMAIOGIC
657 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The top three fighters, he says, have made fortunes of $30m dollars or more.

Meanwhile, Floyd Mayweather makes more than that...in one fight.
3/24/14 2:34 PM
stevekt
571 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the WWE was estimated to be $1 billion a few years ago. Phone Post 3.0
3/24/14 2:39 PM
OMC 6000
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like how the Financial Times treats us as adults and doesn't censor it when Dana says fuck, shit, etc.

It's kind of annoying when MMA news sites try and censor dana's answers with "expletive deleted" or "f---".

It doesn't do anybody any good and looks amateurish.

3/24/14 2:44 PM
pidgey
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dunno about that, WWE, which is quoted on NASDAQ, is worth about 2.3b of market cap and it almost doubled his value in the last months (their "fight pass" helped on that).

I think UFC's number arent as good, regarding revenues and earnings.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.