UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Study: Brain trauma in 30% of MMA fights

3/27/14 12:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_josh
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

too bad people wasted time on an erroneous study. and I do not agree tko should be lumped together with ko. uriah was tko'd while giving a thumbs up. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 12:48 PM
bjws
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Because they are only looking at the score cards (at least that's what the article says), one thing they aren't considering is that there are quite a few KO and TKO stoppages where the fighter is not unconscious. For example Faber vs Barao 2.
3/27/14 12:51 PM
bjws
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sssfRyan - Very poorly done. How can you compare to other sports when you go just off of ko's? A concussion doesn't necessarily result in loss of consciousness and frequently doesn't. A friend of mine who played professional football said he used to get mild ones every game, if not practice Phone Post 3.0

This is another hole in the argument. It's been proven last year or the year before that especially in football and boxing (but probably hockey as well) that they players are experiencing mini concussions multiple times in both training and the game/bout.
3/27/14 1:02 PM
hubris
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

lmao

what a moron
3/27/14 1:10 PM
Heikki Mustola
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dubate - I could be wrong, but I believe that most of the brain damage that occurs is not from the knockout blow; but rather from repeated blows to the head which is why many boxers who are in their 40s seem to have a difficult time with speech. Phone Post 3.0

And lots of fighters tend to have gym wars.. Never understood why would someone willingly spar real hard too often, that clearly shortens careers.
3/27/14 1:16 PM
caposa
1704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/14 1:57 PM

I have no clue how accurate this study is, but I do think referees have to do a better job protecting unconscious fighters. Besides that Bellator KO, this was another recent one I found disturbing. Referee is Osiris Maia

3/27/14 1:28 PM
Lucas Maximus
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SUB'D

3/27/14 1:36 PM
Phil999
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/14 1:36 PM
3/27/14 1:54 PM
Brian Rule
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You guys can nitpick this study all you want yet the elephant remains in the room, and you don't want to admit it. Yes, because this is fighting of course people are going to suffer a degree of trauma, however it's extremely important to limit that trauma to what's justified and what is fair.

NO fighter deserves to be pummeled while already unconscious. The moment a fighter becomes unconscious the fight should immediately stop so that both fighters can begin to receive medical attention. With every stoppage, the KO'd fighter, his family – anyone who gives a shit about him as a person – should see this happen and happen as quick as possible. We should want the statistic of 2.6 strikes after KO strike to be 0. Whether that will ever happen is another issue, but it's far too high as is.

So who needs to do a better job? The fighter doing the KO-ing should stop attacking. The ref needs to be better skilled at recognizing the KO and stopping the action. The promotion needs to better address blatant attacks on unconscious fighters.

For example, as much as I love and admire Dan Henderson, he should've been punished in some way for the leaping shot landed on Bisping. He knew better, as he's admitted to knowing Bisping was out before leaping in, yet the UFC has embraced the moment, using it in countless promos, highlights, etc, and most every fan in turn doesn't think twice about how fucked up it is. This sort of strikes often happen in fights, and it's no surprise. My beef is less against Dan here than it is with the lack of precedent curbing post-KO attacks.

In the end, Dana can talk all he wants about how much he cares for his fighters, but until he does something about post-KO attacks – something so obviously wrong and uncaring on every level – everything he says will be vapid spoken words. No amount of rhetoric or chest-puffing will change this
3/27/14 2:17 PM
BiggRiggwreckedRVD

Brian Rule - You guys can nitpick this study all you want yet the elephant remains in the room, and you don't want to admit it. Yes, because this is fighting of course people are going to suffer a degree of trauma, however it's extremely important to limit that trauma to what's justified and what is fair.

NO fighter deserves to be pummeled while already unconscious. The moment a fighter becomes unconscious the fight should immediately stop so that both fighters can begin to receive medical attention. With every stoppage, the KO'd fighter, his family – anyone who gives a shit about him as a person – should see this happen and happen as quick as possible. We should want the statistic of 2.6 strikes after KO strike to be 0. Whether that will ever happen is another issue, but it's far too high as is.

So who needs to do a better job? The fighter doing the KO-ing should stop attacking. The ref needs to be better skilled at recognizing the KO and stopping the action. The promotion needs to better address blatant attacks on unconscious fighters.

For example, as much as I love and admire Dan Henderson, he should've been punished in some way for the leaping shot landed on Bisping. He knew better, as he's admitted to knowing Bisping was out before leaping in, yet the UFC has embraced the moment, using it in countless promos, highlights, etc, and most every fan in turn doesn't think twice about how fucked up it is. This sort of strikes often happen in fights, and it's no surprise. My beef is less against Dan here than it is with the lack of precedent curbing post-KO attacks.

In the end, Dana can talk all he wants about how much he cares for his fighters, but until he does something about post-KO attacks – something so obviously wrong and uncaring on every level – everything he says will be vapid spoken words. No amount of rhetoric or chest-puffing will change this
Dan shouldnt have been penalized, idiocy to suggest it. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 2:19 PM
Glovegate

I don't know if you non-Canadians know this but Toronto isn't actually part of our country.

So, no worries.
3/27/14 2:28 PM
Whambo
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's the safest sport on planet motherfucking earth!

-dfw jr.
3/27/14 2:39 PM
Frobenius

BiggRiggwreckedRVD - 
Brian Rule - You guys can nitpick this study all you want yet the elephant remains in the room, and you don't want to admit it. Yes, because this is fighting of course people are going to suffer a degree of trauma, however it's extremely important to limit that trauma to what's justified and what is fair.

Dan shouldnt have been penalized, idiocy to suggest it. Phone Post 3.0

It's people like you that will kill the sport. He deliberately tried to injure someone who was already out cold. That is thug behaviour, he might as well of yelled WURL STAR while he did it.
3/27/14 2:41 PM
TheBulgarianAssassin
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know what else is unhealthy? Being fat as fuck and never exercising.
3/27/14 3:39 PM
GenghisKwan
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Standards have dropped pretty low at the Uni of Toronto wen u can just sit around & make observations Phone Post
3/27/14 4:10 PM
Qannebiss
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GenghisKwan - Standards have dropped pretty low at the Uni of Toronto wen u can just sit around & make observations Phone Post
Yeah, I was surprised that a reputable university like UofT would release such a woefully unscientific study. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 4:23 PM
EKPOGI
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

return of no gloves please!and no rounds too
3/27/14 4:29 PM
Bearded Collie Herds Orca

Thank god you morons trashing this study don't review grants. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 4:47 PM
Brian Rule
288 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bearded Collie Herds Orca - Thank god you morons trashing this study don't review grants. Phone Post 3.0

Seriously. When given an opportunity to say something remotely enlightening or intelligent about this it's amazing the shit people come up with. It's like there some greater benefit to us all if fighters suffer completely unnecessary trauma.
3/27/14 5:01 PM
Qannebiss
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bearded Collie Herds Orca - Thank god you morons trashing this study don't review grants. Phone Post 3.0
Would you care to elaborate on the merits of a study that is based on conjecture and assumptions?

To be clear, I'm not saying that there isn't a safety issue in MMA. I'm simply pointing out that this study is based on pretty questionable methodology and on nothing than even resembles the scientific method. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 5:03 PM
Qannebiss

Qannebiss -
Bearded Collie Herds Orca - Thank god you morons trashing this study don't review grants. Phone Post 3.0
Would you care to elaborate on the merits of a study that is based on conjecture and assumptions?

To be clear, I'm not saying that there isn't a safety issue in MMA. I'm simply pointing out that this study is based on pretty questionable methodology and on nothing than even resembles the scientific method. Phone Post 3.0
Nothing that* Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 5:06 PM
caposa
1704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Speaking of unnecessary trauma, look at this stoppage from EFC Africa this afternoon. Keep in mind they just had a fighter die in the cage 3 weeks ago:

3/27/14 5:44 PM
Qannebiss

caposa -

Speaking of unnecessary trauma, look at this stoppage from EFC Africa this afternoon. Keep in mind they just had a fighter die in the cage 3 weeks ago:

That ref... fuck. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 6:23 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

They watched videos... okay.

Pretty fucking low standards for a "study".

Seems like the UG is full of "researchers".
3/27/14 6:47 PM
thefear

Not sure if this has already been said....BUT the comparison between sports is ridiculous! Football players, hockey players have 100's more matches/'exposures' than mma fighters have fights. Average mma fighter = 30 fights. Average NFL/hockey player =?? Over 100 matches! So they can multiply their stats for those sports accordingly and re-publish the findings. Am I RIGHT?! Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.