UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gracie: I have nothing to prove

3/27/14 2:16 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

This weekend grappling legend Royler Gracie will rematch Eddie Bravo, a match ten years in the making since Bravo defeated Gracie at ADCC 2003.

That match was the first time Gracie had ever been defeated in competitive grappling and help Eddie Bravo launch himself into a career.

Both are a bit older now, and neither really compete at a professional level, but the rematch has garnered a lot of interest from hard core fans and jiu-jitsu students. So much so that the live event has even sold out. 

Royler Gracie believes that the match will be fun, but really he has nothing to prove in beating Eddie Bravo:

Your rematch with Eddie Bravo is a week away. How do you feel about it? Are you looking to prove something, have fun or just get it over with?

Well, I don't think I need to prove nothing. I'm more than happy to be there and I've trained well. I do my homework like everybody else. You're talking about the high-level athlete and that's how I train my life every time I've been in a competition. It's not going to be different. Be conservative. Pay attention. Go forward, but if you need to back up, you back up. And that's how the fight's going to be.

I think in my fight, not his fight. Make sure you have two tanks of the gas behind your back, you can go forward all day long. Yeah, just be ready. No pressure, like the old times.

People sometimes, they say, 'Hey, Royler, man, you're world champion. You're going to fight again. It's not too much?' Hey, I have a beautiful sleep the night before and that's amazing. I'm not worried about it. Whatever happens, it happens. If you don't like to lose, don't compete.

That's my thing. Everything can happen. I know I do my best and like I said, do my homework and then I put on my money on Royler today and the day of the fight.

read entire article...

3/27/14 2:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheMessiah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Should be a great M3 card all around.. looking forward to this match. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 2:38 PM
Winston Wolf
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hes lost in BJJ tourneys before
3/27/14 2:43 PM
ChrisWeidmanLEGitWon

Are they fighting or grappling? Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 2:48 PM
stickman
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you don't like to lose, don't compete.

What an awesome attitude. At the end of the day, it should be a thing for fun, and to test yourself. Sadly, I take things too seriously sometimes but I like hearing stuff like that, from the elite guys. Reminds me, if they don't let it get to them, a fat 38 year shouldn't, either ;-)
3/27/14 2:52 PM
MrZipplokk
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/27/14 2:57 PM
Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

very cool

winners = the fans

3/27/14 2:53 PM
hubris
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's going to be a great fight!
3/27/14 2:56 PM
BJ Penn is Irish
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to be entertaining no matter what. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 2:56 PM
kyle223
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was going to say in before "it's not a fight", but someone already beat me to it. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 3:03 PM
1800champagne

ChrisWeidmanLEGitWon - Are they fighting or grappling? Phone Post 3.0
Not this shit again Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 3:05 PM
Ray Elbe
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Salmiyah, Kuwait
Nothing to lose...but if you're not wearing pants I can grab I'm not playing Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 4:34 PM
graciesrule
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a video from the Mundiala absolutes where Mario Sperry choked out Royler by clock choke. It was the same year Wallid choked out Royce with same move. Carlson knew Helios boy were vulnerable to that.
3/27/14 4:37 PM
Malvert the Janitor
1054 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ray Elbe - Nothing to lose...but if you're not wearing pants I can grab I'm not playing Phone Post 3.0
Did this ever get clarified? Did Eddie ask for the pants initially? Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 4:39 PM
Malvert the Janitor
1054 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ and, more importantly, if Eddie were to lose will this issue create a cluster fuck of controversy?

I'm hoping all players are satisfied going in. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 4:40 PM
6ULDV8
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MrZipplokk - 

very cool

winners = the fans

3/27/14 4:44 PM
LittleC
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

graciesrule - I have a video from the Mundiala absolutes where Mario Sperry choked out Royler by clock choke. It was the same year Wallid choked out Royce with same move. Carlson knew Helios boy were vulnerable to that.

Actually Sperry choked Royler in the absolute of the brasileiro that year. And if I remember correct Sperry withdrew after that and saulo ended up open class king.
3/27/14 4:56 PM
Soup and Beer
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stickman - 
If you don't like to lose, don't compete.

What an awesome attitude. At the end of the day, it should be a thing for fun, and to test yourself. Sadly, I take things too seriously sometimes but I like hearing stuff like that, from the elite guys. Reminds me, if they don't let it get to them, a fat 38 year shouldn't, either ;-)

Definitely a better attitude than Kron Gracie's.  When he was on the JRE podcast, he said "Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser."  To me, that's basically saying if you aren't the best, you aren't shit.  The number one person is just one loss away from being worthless.  That's a terrible attitude IMO.

3/27/14 5:10 PM
Soup and Beer
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator Fan - Definitely a better attitude than Kron Gracie's. When he was on the JRE podcast, he said "Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser."

Bear Bryant first coined that term Phone Post 3.0

Perhaps so, but if you adopt the attitude it's the same thing.  I can't imagine getting to the top spot and think that you are now only one loss away from being human garbage!  screw that lol.

3/27/14 5:44 PM
I_Pulled_Guard_On_Kimbo

He's setting himself up to make excuses for the "fight" he knows he's probably going to lose. Phone Post 3.0
3/27/14 6:19 PM
thebasher

Kron is a douchebag though.

respect to them both - just hope there is a result and not a boring draw that doesn't settle anything.
3/27/14 6:29 PM
ChiTown Philly

Is kinda right about 16 planet making a name off beating a gracie Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 11:47 AM
MrZipplokk
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

'16 planet' smh

3/28/14 12:03 PM
Soup and Beer

MrZipplokk - 

'16 planet' smh

This school is obviously six planets better than Bravo's.

3/28/14 12:06 PM
kungfugrip
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

regarding the pants, Eddie will use them as a tool so it's fair that Royler can also use them.

Royler is just competing, it wont define his career.

Is it true the match intially was going to be at 150 but eddie couldnt make that weight?
3/28/14 2:15 PM
slo ko
1142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards."

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.