UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Metamoris 3 official discussion Sat 7:00 PM ET

3/28/14 2:30 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Eddie Bravo put on an extraordinary performance at Metamoris 3, dominating Royler Gracie with an overwhelming number of sweeps, passes, and submission attempts. Bravo is the most innovative figure in Jiu-Jitsu, and proved not just the remarkable efficacy of his unique style, but far beyond that, proved that grappling can be exciting.

Metamoris needed a riveting match to prove that jiujitsu can be compelling for a television audience, and the got it from Eddie Bravo, at age 43, and Royler Gracie, at age 48.

The match began as did many of them, with Bravo pulling half guard. Royler played a heavy top game, but could not get past Bravo's quarter guard, which was aided by Bravo's gi pants. After about the eight minute mark, Bravo became aggressive, and began to attack, using textbook (literally) Eddie Bravo Half Guard techniques.

Bravo went from Quarter Guard to Lockdown, repeatedly landed the Electric Chair, and ended up with a Vaporizer that would have shredded the knee of any normal world-class grappler.

The current success of the UFC rests on Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar 1 at the TUF Finale in 2005. If Jiu-Jitsu becomes a widely appreciated and exciting sport, it began Saturday night.

The entire sport owes Eddie Bravo a massive and enduring round of applause.

Gifs courtesy of Zombie Prophet

Eddie_bravo_vs

Eddie_bravo_vs

Eddie_bravo_vs

Eddie_bravo_vs

Lastly, it must be said that realistically speaking, Jiu-Jitsu in a gi is markedly less exciting than no-gi, even at the very highest levels. If Director Ralek Gracie wants to appeal to the fanbase that trains in a gi, then by all means, continue with the current 50/50 split.

However, if Ralek wants to appeal to people that enjoy exciting grappling, then confine the Gi matches to unaired prelims, minimize the the number, or otherwise bring the no gi matches to the fore.

Metamoris 3
Saturday, 29 March 29 2014
Peterson Automotive Museum 
6060 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 

Eddie Bravo X Royler Gracie (No-Gi) - no submission, bout a draw
Clark Gracie X Rafael "Rafa" Mendes (Gi) - no submission, bout a draw
Keenan Cornelius beat Kevin Casey (who on 30 minutes notice replaces Vinny Magalhaes who is out with an infection) (No-Gi) - Inside Heel Hook
Renato "Babalu" Sobral X Dean Lister (No-Gi) - no submission, bout a draw
Guilherme "Gui" Mendes beat Samir Chantre (Gi) via submission (baseball choke)
Sean Roberts vs. Zak Maxwell (Gi) - no submission, bout a draw

From Vinny Magalhaes' official Twitter:

Bad news: I'm out of my metamoris match against Keenan Cornelius.

On Tuesday night after I got done with all my training sessions, I noticed a tiny little thing under my arm which looked like nothing but an ingrown hair. It didn't change size or anything throughout the day on Wednesday, I did some pad work in the evening with my Thai coach and everything went fine.

When I got home from the gym, I felt like the area was getting too hot and I was starting to have fever. When it was around 11:00 pm i decided to go to the ER, and see if what I had was more than just an ingrown hair.

The doctor said that I found out soon enough that there was nothing in it to be drained but said that I had staph infection, and prescribed me some antibiotics. I got on them right away, and the next day I notified Ralek about the infection, and also told what the doctor had told me. The doctor told me that 24hrs after starting the antibiotics, I should start to see results, and most likely it wouldn't spread out.

Well, keenan contacted me, I told him the situation and he knew the risks and still agreed to the match. Over these last couple days, things just got worse, I had really high fever all night these last couple nights, even though I was on antibiotics, the wound wouldn't stop getting bigger.

So today at around 2 I decided to get a second opinion and the doctor told me that I might have MRSA, since the antibiotics haven't worked at all and I'm on my third day on them.

I'm at the hospital right now, the doctors will give me an IV with antibiotics and drain the area. 

The Dr. Just walked in and said that this is one of the most painful thing according to her patients... FUUUUU

Well, sorry everyone that was rooting for me, and those that bought the event expecting me to be part of it... I tried... I really tried.

Mixedmartialarts.com is a mixed martial arts site. 

Duh.

However, some events in styles that comprise MMA are so notable that they richly deserve coverage and discussion. One such was Saturday's Metamoris 3. The six, 20-minute matches in the Jiu-Jitsu invitational has no judges and no points. Win by submission or go home with kissing your sister.

Live stream was purchased at  www.metamoris.com/live-stream for $20.

Commentators: Kenny Florian (UFC fighter Fox Analyst) & Jeff Glover (Jiu-jitsu legend)

Eddie Bravo X Royler Gracie (No-Gi)
Gracie seeks revenge for the legendary ADCC loss to the most innovative figure in Jiu-Jitsu.

Clark Gracie X Rafael "Rafa" Mendes (Gi)
Smash passing, Omoplata tapping, Berimbolo sweeping Gracie vs. Six-time mundial champion and two-time ADCC champion Mendes

Keenan Cornelius X Vinny Magalhaes (No-Gi)
Surging Cornelius vs. MMA fighter, BJJ champion, and UGer Magalhaes.

Renato "Babalu" Sobral X Dean Lister (No-Gi)
Nuff said.

Guilherme "Gui" Mendes X Samir Chantre (Gi)
What happens when two 50/50 masters face off?

Sean Roberts X Zak Maxwell (Gi)
Ralph Gracie trained beast vs. Gracie Humaita world champion Maxwell.

3/28/14 2:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KidPittsburgh
1149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3/28/14 5:38 PM
Kirik
1748 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

:-)

3/28/14 5:44 PM
BJ Penn Forever
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really interesting card.
3/28/14 5:53 PM
FanToFighter
214 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much is it gonna cost me? Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 5:55 PM
Kirik
1748 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor

20 bucks. That is a lot, but a lot went into the effort. I hope they make money on it.

3/28/14 7:18 PM
Jack Brown
420 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 7:38 PM
flyingtoehold
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll be there baby! Might show up with my gi on if anybody wants to roll between matches :-) Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 8:21 PM
Paul_Blanka_Harris
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That trailer was amazing I'm hype Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 8:28 PM
brahmabull81
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ wut?
3/28/14 8:30 PM
Marcgeo13
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Old NHB Wiz - Any results yet ??
Tomorrow Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 8:42 PM
clattymine
491 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm stoked. Last BJJ event I bought was the event where Diaz no showed and it was totally worth it. Hoping this one is as good. Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 8:43 PM
2JupitersTooMany
1788 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome card, will be watching can't wait. Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 8:50 PM
jasonhightower
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Lives Here -
KidPittsburgh -

. Phone Post 3.0
Yes! This is going to be glorious. Phone Post 3.0
3/28/14 8:53 PM
John Nic

If you pre ordered it was only 10$ Phone Post 3.0
3/29/14 12:30 PM
GEYprideneverdies
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I fucking hate that I have 6 day work weeks. I really wanna see Babalu and Dean Lister.

3/29/14 12:31 PM
GEYprideneverdies
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yo Kirik. Can I buy a replay of the event, as far as you know?

3/29/14 12:32 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum

Very interesting.
3/29/14 12:37 PM
biggator
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GEYprideneverdies - 

Yo Kirik. Can I buy a replay of the event, as far as you know?

from metamoris site;

" What if I miss the live event?

Once you purchase the live stream ticket the event will be available for viewing once you log in for at least a week after the event date."
3/29/14 12:40 PM
Switchheadkick
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

clattymine - I'm stoked. Last BJJ event I bought was the event where Diaz no showed and it was totally worth it. Hoping this one is as good. Phone Post 3.0
Ya same here and it was for 5 bucks or something, but this is worth the keesh big time. Phone Post 3.0
3/29/14 12:52 PM
biggator
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

loving the wedding crashers gif. someone needs to make a silk bjj gi for bedroom bjj
3/29/14 2:21 PM
FlowWithTheGo
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Metamoris ordered.

Keenan saying " I wont a 109 matches in a row at brown belt" Wow thats alot. Its go time. Cant wait for vinny x keenan
3/29/14 2:51 PM
biggator

just saw on FB if you purchase the stream you can access it for a month after the event. pretty cool

ready for this!!! gi in the car waiting to leave straight from work to the academy for open mat and watching M3!!!
3/29/14 3:17 PM
CaliKush
376 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't wait z Phone Post 3.0
3/29/14 3:39 PM
Madmuzzy

Really wanted to watch this but for $20 no thanks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.