UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> When We Were Bouncers: Javi and Rose

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/2/14 11:22 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Actor/stuntman/fighter Paul "The Mauler" Lazenby has a tremendous Facebook page - When We Were Bouncers. Each week he presents a crazy new story from former security personnel who went on to become actors, comedians, pro wrestlers, stuntmen, or MMA fighters.

This week Lazenby profiles Javier “Showtime” Vazquez and his wife Rose Gracie. Javi is a Gracie Jiu-jitsu black belt and former King of the Cage lightweight champion. In 1978 Rose's father Rorion brought Gracie Jiu-jitsu to America, and in 1993 he co-founded the UFC. As the president of Gracie Tournaments, Rose promotes events such as the Gracie Nationals, and she remains an outspoken defender of the art of Jiu-jitsu as conceived by her grandfather, the legendary Grandmaster Helio Gracie.

In this piece both Javi and Rose talk about violence in clubs.

Javi Vazquez

A while later, another riot happened after a guy ran up on a buddy of mine -- a good twenty-five or thirty foot run -- and coldcocked him from behind with this big, looping haymaker. Caught my buddy totally unaware, but he just took it and then turned around and laughed. I ran around behind my buddy’s attacker and locked one of his arms up, then picked him up off the ground, slammed him down on his shoulder, took his back, sunk the hooks in and choked him out. 

I kept the choke on after the guy was out but loosened it enough so he could breathe, but when he woke up he started fighting again. I tried to get him to calm down but he wouldn’t listen, so I put him out again. I let him wake up again and told him, “Dude, I’ve got a full choke sunk in, don’t fight me or I’m gonna put you out”, but once again he forced me to choke him [unconscious]! Three or four times I put him out, until finally he woke up crying and begging, “Please don’t do that again!” 

So I let him go and stood up. Now, I’m five-seven, and when the dude stood up he was WAY taller than me, probably six-one. I hadn’t noticed how big he was during the heat of the moment, and of course when you’re on the ground it’s hard to tell how tall someone is. But now that we were standing, you could tell that the guy was wondering, “How the hell did this little guy do that to me?” (laughs)

That’s a good example of why my philosophy was always, “Choke people first, ask questions second”, because if you know what you’re doing, you can use chokes to keep everybody safe. You can put ‘em out, drag ‘em out, and in the end they’re gonna wake up just fine. If you apply the choke right and you don’t hold it for too long, it’s the most humane way to handle violent situations where nobody’s gonna get hurt, you know? 

Rose Gracie

When I went out in Brazil, Gracie family members and students would just take over whatever club we were in. Sometimes the bouncers would be Gracie guys too, or other times our guys would just pretend to be bouncers [so they could] clear people away from tables we wanted to sit at and things like that. 

One time we were at a club in Rio where all the Jiu-jitsu guys used to hang out. I forget the name of the club because it was always changing. What they do [in Rio] is, they run a club for one or two years and then they tear it apart and build a new club with a new name, but it’s still the same place, you know? I was standing there with a big group of Gracies and Gracie students who were always at that club causing major mayhem. We would always roll in with twenty or thirty Gracies plus the students, so half the club would be Jiu-jitsu guys. 

At one point in the night, some guy grabbed my cousin’s ass and then disappeared into the crowd, so all of our guys stopped everything. With the help of the bouncers, they stood outside the front door and brought everybody out one by one. Every time a guy would come out, Carlson Gracie Jr. would hold him and ask my cousin who got her ass grabbed, “Is this the guy? No? Okay, man, you can go.” They went through almost EVERY SINGLE GUY in the club like that! (laughs) They finally found the guy who did it, and obviously they beat him up. That’s how intense they were, they would shut down a whole club just to find one guy who grabbed my cousin’s ass! 

On another night, a guy did something to upset all the Gracies so they walked outside with him and a bunch of his friends. My cousin Russo held up his right fist to the guy and said, “If you can escape from this punch, we won’t beat you up.” But while the guy was looking at Russo’s right hand, his brother Daniel threw a punch over Russo’s left shoulder and knocked the guy out with a punch he never even saw coming -- and then of course all hell broke loose! It was so much fun! (laughs) 

One other thing Daniel liked to do -- if he had something against a guy but didn’t have a good enough reason to fight him, he would say to me, “Rose, go slap that guy in the face”. That would make it look like the guy had insulted me or something, and then Daniel had an excuse to beat the guy up! (laughs) It was terrible! But we always had so much fun in those clubs.

When you’re in the middle of that sort of thing it’s just normal, everyday stuff. It wasn’t until I grew up that I realized how serious it really was. We had plenty of bar fights, every single time we went somewhere it was a problem. And if one of our group did something, we would all have to move because of safety issues. Sometimes I would have just gotten to a bar with my girlfriends and already I have to leave because of some trouble where the Gracies might be in danger. I would be so disappointed! (laughs)

Check out www.facebook.com/FamousBouncers for more bouncer stories from stars in a wide variety of pursuits. For UG Blog excerpts for MMA Fighters, check out:

When We Were Bouncers: Jason Day
When We Were Bouncers: Jerry Trimble
When We Were Bouncers: Gurdarshan Mangat
When We Were Bouncers: Enson Inoue
When We Were Bouncers: Dean of Mean
When We Were Bouncers: Ragin' Kajan Johnson
When We Were Bouncers: Aaron Riley
When We Were Bouncers: Tom Erikson
When We Were Bouncers: Paul Cheng 
When We Were Bouncers: Shayna Baszler 
When We Were Bouncers: Gary Myers 
When We Were Bouncers: Jonathan Goulet 
When We Were Bouncers: Gene LeBell
When We Were Bouncers: John Lober
When We Were Bouncers: Paul Varelans 
When We Were Bouncers: Pat Miletich (someone gets attacked with a pitchfork)
When We Were Bouncers: Renzo Gracie (he bounced in a brothel at 14)

4/2/14 11:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Charles T Rose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seems like some rather thuggish behavior in Rose' story IMHO.
4/2/14 11:31 AM
TheBearStare
459 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 11:39 AM
Glovegate

Wow, pretty disgusting behaviour.
4/2/14 11:45 AM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glovegate - Wow, pretty disgusting behaviour.

These people need some serious introspection.

4/2/14 11:59 AM
Isaac Bickerstaff
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Javi and his story, but the Gracie thuggery is just another log on the fire.

4/2/14 12:00 PM
Hey Beer Man
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes. The Gracies had so much fun...
WE DO ALPHA MALE SH#T
4/2/14 12:03 PM
BRUCEYI
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royce Gracie threatening Eddie bravo. Renzo Gracie's bad sportsmanship during fights. Now roses story

I wonder how many more stories like this are going to come out Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 12:03 PM
Seats Taken
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like Eddie on said on JRE "she's a double Gracie" haha Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 12:04 PM
Charles T Rose

Its a shame because like many here about 15 years ago I drank of the Gracie KoolAid and used to have much hespect for them. Now not so much.
4/2/14 12:15 PM
TeamRenzo

With all do respect to Rose she should not have told those stories, flat out bullying.

Ralek and Rener must shake their heads considering they are always pushing the anti bullying program they offer.
4/2/14 12:19 PM
Chorizo
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird what people find funny. Javi's story was ok, like Isaac said.

Then again, there's a trial going on in orange county cali right now where a chick claims she was raped by some guy, so she took a bunch of dudes with her to a club where he hangs, pointed him out, the thugs followed him out, kidnapped him, beat him, tortured him with a meat cleaver, murdered him, then threw him on the side of the freeway.

This was the 90s, case went unsolved until recently. The Gracies seem much more humane compared to the facts in that case.
4/2/14 12:31 PM
RockTheVote
752 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Douche bags not realizing they're douche bags in that second story. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 12:32 PM
BubbaRayGracie
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lost even more respect for the Gracie family after Rose's stories.
4/2/14 12:36 PM
Hurtsogood
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Creating a fake conflict just so you can beat up some poor innocent bastard... maybe the Gracies should call a family meeting to make sure they all just keep their mouths shut for a while. Not a good week for the Gracie name.
4/2/14 2:19 PM
TX_432
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Gracie's and their entourage come across as extreme douche bags. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 3:36 PM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
292 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why did Rose think these were funny stories to tell? It absolutely confirms the stories about the Gracies being a bunch of thugs.

Strange indeed for a family that has claimed respect is at the heart of their martial art form. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 4:03 PM
Malvert the Janitor
1570 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone remember when Javier and BJ Penn met as blue belts in the finals of the Copa Classic (1999?)?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JRcIxzs6OY

Sick sweeps by Beej. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 4:07 PM
ThomasBJJ
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds Rose's stories offensive. And to laugh about it and think it's so funny?

No respect or empathy for others. And running with a gang of BJJ thugs.
4/2/14 4:28 PM
donkypunch55
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What a bunch of fucking cowards.

Reminds me of shitty gang mentality. Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 4:34 PM
Aaronrodgers=GOAT
1428 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 6:03 PM
DrBoogerLips
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I bet they wouldn't act that way if the Bravo's were around.
4/2/14 6:13 PM
Jimwilly

I'm very impressed by all the posts here! She makes them sound like cowards IMO Phone Post 3.0
4/2/14 6:27 PM
MickColins
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I see nothing wrong with the Carlson Jr. Story. Some asshole grabbed his cousin and he and his boys sorted it out. The rest....it seems like the Gracies roll like the Hanson Brothers from Slapshot.

4/2/14 7:09 PM
southpaw86
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holyyyy shit. The fact neither gracie thought something was wrong with sharing that "we jumped people after work for fun" story is sickening, if it got out you could at least say you were a kid/changed/etc. Clearly they used their abilities to bully the shit out of people, and its hilarous how unphased they are by their actions . Incredible, lifelong cheaters. So much for respect and honor. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.