UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The Rock: What Lesnar did was 'epic and historic'

4/2/14 11:56 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The UFC has recently been releasing videos hyping it's new online service 'Fight Pass.' This week they are hyping the release of the complete Brock Lesnar collection, which is coming along with exclusive interviews discussing the UFC career of 'The Beast' with The Rock, 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin, and Jim Ross.

In his interview, 'The Rock' believes that Brock Lesnar accomplished more than any other heavyweight in history ever has in that short a time-period. Agree, disagree?

From college wrestler to pro wrestler to UFC champion, it was a pretty amazing run, and Lesnar's pal Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson -- who is also a big MMA fan -- says that if not for diverticulitis, the former heavyweight king might still be on top of the sport, reigning over everyone with an iron fist.

"I don't know if anybody will ever accomplish what he's accomplished in the heavyweight division in that short amount of time," Johnson said. "Had it not been for the unfortunate issue he had to deal with his stomach, who knows what could have happened if he continued to train, and continued to hone in on his skills. What he did was epic and historic."

read entire article...

4/2/14 11:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GOKUJITSU
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nah. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:09 AM
Gsnitsky
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agreed and he will sub undertaker for the first time at wrrrestlemaniaaa this sunday. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:11 AM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GOKUJITSU - Nah. Phone Post 3.0
How was it not? Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:13 AM
inf0
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

roids rule

4/3/14 12:13 AM
thebearbohland
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never seen anyone like him ever and I don't think we will again for a long long time Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:16 AM
oranos

Absolutely agree with Dwayne. Brock Lesnar has accomplished the highest accolades of anything he has done in his career. The man will be a true legend. Just looking at him you can tell he is not a normal human being. His genetics are from some kind of Nordic gods. On another point, Undertaker's persona will never lose at wrestle mania. It was confirmed through inside sources many years ago that he will retire undefeated at wrestlemania.
4/3/14 12:21 AM
Alittude

Wriggling Grunion - 
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap - 
GOKUJITSU - Nah. Phone Post 3.0
How was it not? Phone Post 3.0

Because he only beat old Randy, post-Pride Herring, Mir and Carwin (after getting mauled)? That's not exactly setting the world on fire, tbh.

Discrediting all of a fighters wins is a very dangerous game to play. You can then in turn do it to every single fighter.

I don't why people always use the getting mauled reasoning as well as if it equates to a loss, as for any other fighter it would be said to have been an amazing showing of heart and an epic comeback.
4/3/14 12:26 AM
cm81
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He came into the sport at the right time, before JDS, Cain, Cormier. (Well, Cain got him and beat him worse than any of his opponents). His most impressive win was against Randy who was already close to retirement and much smaller.

He got subbed by Mir, could not finish Heath, eeked out a win after getting smashed by Carwin (in any other match, the ref would have stopped the fight in rd 1).

Epic and historic? For someone of his wrestling pedigree, size and athleticism, this is debatable. Good timing when the division was weak, yes. He was Mark Ker 2.0, a big and scary wrestler, but once Carwin exposed him his hype was done. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:27 AM
Doem
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you have to look at the context of it all. Mir was a heavyweight contender and randy was champ. So to have somebody come out of the blue with little formal MMA training and eat everybody's lunch that was just remarkable.
4/3/14 12:32 AM
Seats Taken
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doem - I think you have to look at the context of it all. Mir was a heavyweight contender and randy was champ. So to have somebody come out of the blue with little formal MMA training and eat everybody's lunch that was just remarkable.
Agreed.

And for the record I'd love to sit here and bash Lesnar, but this is true. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:41 AM
JoeHurley
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Accomplishing what he did so quickly was remarkable. Would love to have seen what a healthy Lesnar would have done by this point with 4 more years of experience and training. One of MMA's biggest what if questions. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:42 AM
pattitude
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cm81 - He came into the sport at the right time, before JDS, Cain, Cormier. (Well, Cain got him and beat him worse than any of his opponents). His most impressive win was against Randy who was already close to retirement and much smaller.

He got subbed by Mir, could not finish Heath, eeked out a win after getting smashed by Carwin (in any other match, the ref would have stopped the fight in rd 1).

Epic and historic? For someone of his wrestling pedigree, size and athleticism, this is debatable. Good timing when the division was weak, yes. He was Mark Ker 2.0, a big and scary wrestler, but once Carwin exposed him his hype was done. Phone Post 3.0

^This^
4/3/14 12:43 AM
thefink

It would be like someone who was really good at hs football going to the nfl becoming quarterback and making it to the Super Bowl in like a year, crazy shit Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:45 AM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
740 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AND THATS THE BOTTOM LINE,

BECAUSE THE ROCK SAID SO! Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:46 AM
WoodenPupa
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Few were confident of his wins ahead of time. When he fought Herring, Mir, and Couture, the boards here were full of debate. It's much easier to look back and declare matters foreordained. It sure as hell didn't seem that way at the time.
4/3/14 12:52 AM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend
740 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WoodenPupa - Few were confident of his wins ahead of time. When he fought Herring, Mir, and Couture, the boards here were full of debate. It's much easier to look back and declare matters foreordained. It sure as hell didn't seem that way at the time.
I was confident he was gonna smash cain.

Brock seemed unstoppable to me at the time, the beating he took from carwin elevated him in my opinion, at that time. Id only just started wagching mma again a short while before that though and was easily believing hype Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:54 AM
YHTOMIT2001
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would've been really interesting to see what would've happened if he went into MMA right out of college Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 12:58 AM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend

YHTOMIT2001 - Would've been really interesting to see what would've happened if he went into MMA right out of college Phone Post 3.0
Indeed

But the same could be said for so many wrestlers.

Hopefully the sport progresses and pays enough in the future that MMA would be a lucrative first choice sport for athletes and not an afterthought if they dont succeed in thier preferred sport.

We are talking a while though Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 1:07 AM
CarlCX
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/03/14 1:08 AM
You're right. Getting subbed by Mir is pretty lame, that only happens to scrubs like Nogueira. Heath Herring's one of those guys who's real easy to stop, too, which is why the only person to truly knock him out was Cro-Cop; not stopping him is totally lame. That Randy fight? Even lamer what with that size disadvantage, which is why Randy didn't even bother to fight Tim Sylvia because that dude's like nine feet tall or something. And surviving Shane Carwin punching your face in is the lamest thing yet, because really, who the hell did Carwin ever knock out?

C'mon, guys. It's one thing to say Lesnar isn't historic material--that's sensible at any angle except his drawing power. It's another to act like he was unimpressive. And it's a whole different realm of insane to act like having Shane Carwin, who murdered every single person he faced with minimal effort, punching Lesnar in the fucking face for minutes at a time and Lesnar not only surviving but thereafter winning is somehow indicative of him being BAD. It's like saying Fedor got exposed when Brett Rogers swept him while ignoring that Fedor promptly punched his goddamn head off a couple minutes later.

If you want to hate Lesnar that's totally fine, but be rational about it.
4/3/14 1:07 AM
palfor03

Guys, Lesnar became champion in a sport he had barely any training in. Give him his props. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 1:08 AM
WoodenPupa
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - 
WoodenPupa - Few were confident of his wins ahead of time. When he fought Herring, Mir, and Couture, the boards here were full of debate. It's much easier to look back and declare matters foreordained. It sure as hell didn't seem that way at the time.

Brock seemed unstoppable to me at the time, the beating he took from carwin elevated him in my opinion, at that time. Id only just started wagching mma again a short while before that though and was easily believing hype Phone Post 3.0

By that time I don't think it was "believing hype". He had beaten Herring, Mir, Couture and Carwin all in a row, so yeah, Brock beating Cain wasn't a crazy thought.

But I'm talking about Herring, Mir and Couture. When he fought those guys, I remember it being pretty close to 50/50 in terms of predictions. Opinion was far from unanimous. Which means the wins were impressive in my book.
4/3/14 1:12 AM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend

WoodenPupa -
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend - 

By that time I don't think it was "believing hype". He had beaten Herring, Mir, Couture and Carwin all in a row, so yeah, Brock beating Cain wasn't a crazy thought.

But I'm talking about Herring, Mir and Couture. When he fought those guys, I remember it being pretty close to 50/50 in terms of predictions. Opinion was far from unanimous. Which means the wins were impressive in my book.
Oh absolutely. I watched those fights as a casual after they happened on youtube.

What im saying is by the time I was watching regular brock was perceived to be the baddest man on the planet (at least to noobs and some people) and that speaks volumes considering his short career amd near loss to carwin. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 1:17 AM
Sandy Pantz
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA fans have this weird little penis syndrome where they have to denigrate others in order to feel good about themselves. It's why you always see people talking down boxing and pro wrestling. It's also why they fantasize about being "mainstream" and finally being accepted as worthy of respect. All these little penis syndrome fans can't bring themselves to give Lesnar the credit he deserves due to his time in pro wrestling and him thus being an outsider. They feel like if a pro wrestler is recognized as a great mixed martial artist, the mainstream will look down on them.
4/3/14 1:20 AM
WeidmanBrokeTheLEGend

Sandy Pantz - MMA fans have this weird little penis syndrome where they have to denigrate others in order to feel good about themselves. It's why you always see people talking down boxing and pro wrestling. It's also why they fantasize about being "mainstream" and finally being accepted as worthy of respect. All these little penis syndrome fans can't bring themselves to give Lesnar the credit he deserves due to his time in pro wrestling and him thus being an outsider. They feel like if a pro wrestler is recognized as a great mixed martial artist, the mainstream will look down on them.
Agreed somewhat

Personally id like to see any great athletes from any other sport try thier hand at mma. If they succeed then it only legitimizes them as a hard as fuck individual, and takes nothing away from the credibility of the mma scene. Thats my personal take Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.