UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Florian: Metamoris 3 everything I love about BJJ

4/3/14 12:31 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1228 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Saturday night at Metamoris 3, Eddie Bravo dominated Royler Gracie in a contest that may go down as the Griffin vs. Bonnar of grappling - the contest that led to a period of huge growth.

In his latest blog,  Former UFC middleweight, welterweight, lightweight, and featherweight fighter, and currently analyst and color commentator Kenny Florian, explains why the event represented everything he loves about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

I absolutely love Brazilian jiu-jitsu but many times we don’t see the true beauty of the art in competition. Sometimes the rules are to blame and other times we must blame the competitors for a lack of action. Metamoris which is a professional BJJ organization not only seeks to bring in BJJ competitors with an aggressive submission style, they change the rules to one 20 minute round where the athlete can only win by submission or the match is ruled a draw. At Metamoris 3 this past weekend, we had the opportunity to see some of the most technical Brazilian jiu-jitsu athletes in the world compete at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles, California. 

When you have had a career like Royler Gracie, there isn’t anything that can tarnish his legacy at this point. As a martial artist at 48 years old, the man has done it all. He is a living legend of the sport and his effort on Saturday night is something that him and his students can still be proud of. For the 43-year-old Eddie Bravo, this match clearly shuts up the naysayers and critics of his style of jiu-jitsu. Eddie not only proved that his jiu-jitsu is truly world class but to me showed that this second match against Royler was even more impressive than his first one despite it being officially ruled a draw.

Eddie could’ve proved a point just by playing defensively the whole match and been content to get out of there with a boring draw. Instead Bravo showed a scintillating brand of jiu-jitsu that had people on their feet with technical sweeps and submissions. Bravo went for it and tested Royler’s heart and vast arsenal of jiu-jitsu. Simply put, Eddie showed that his submission win over Royler at ADCC was not a fluke and his brand of jiu-jitsu is a force to be reckoned with. Both men in the main event inspired BJJ practitioners all over the world with their performances.

There were many other impressive performances from competitors like Dean Lister and Renato “Babalu” Sobral who had a fun match and proved that big guys can be technical and exciting to watch. Keenan Cornelius kept up with his winning ways and was able to submit a game Kevin Casey who took the match on 30 minute notice due to Vinny Magalhaes having to drop out last minute due to a staph infection. Rafa Mendes and Clark Gracie had a very technical match. Mendes showed a sophisticated and aggressive style of jiu-jitsu but the heavier Gracie was able to defend and contain the dangerous Mendes to gain a draw in their match. The other half of the Mendes brothers “Gui” showed that same attacking brand of jiu-jitsu and earned a submission win over the technical Samir Chantre proving why the Mendes brothers are considered some of the best pound for pound best grapplers on the planet. Sean Roberts and Zak Maxwell kicked off the night with a highly entertaining match that saw Roberts get off to a great start in the first 10 minutes and Maxwell finishing very strong in the last 10.

This Metamoris 3 event was a great success that showcased some of the best jiu-jitsu athletes in the world. It delivered an amazing main event and inspired fans and practitioners of the art what elite jiu-jitsu is all about.

Read entire blog...

4/3/14 2:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FanToFighter
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree KenFlo. Wish you would come back to the UG. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:20 AM
spirello
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Completely agree

Eddie Bravo made me wanna learn bjj especially that electric chair man looked sick beautiful meia guarda techniques.
4/3/14 8:37 AM
Dougie
993 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love the 20 min round and the only way to win was by sub.

4/3/14 8:54 AM
97B_96B
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's also impressive are Eddie's names for his signature moves, such as "Stoner Control," "The Electric Chair," "Mission Control," etc.

Fricken' hilarious! Nothing boring here. How can you not love it?

Here's a new name: "Crush the Snuffaluffagus." Not sure what the move would be for that one, but it kind of sums up the whole Bravo Gracie match in three words...

Braveaux Eddie Bravo!

4/3/14 9:10 AM
GaspareBJJ
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 11:29 AM
jasonhightower
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was a lot of hype going into this show, so much so I didn't think it would live up to the expectations.  Man, was I wrong.  This was fantastic and I can't wait to see the next BJJ/grappling superstars get after it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.