UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The evolution of MMA and John McCain

4/3/14 1:44 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

MMA's most infamous description, "Human cockfighting" was coined by Arizona Senator John McCain in 1996, as he sought to drive the sport off PPV television. By 2007 he conceded  the “sport has made significant progress.” And by 2014 he was saying he 'absolutely' would have tried MMA as a young man.

One of the things that changed was mixed martial arts. In an article for Forbes,  CEO of X Tech Ventures Robert J. Szczerba details how.

So, what spawned this dramatic Senatorial turnaround from MMA antagonist to advocate?  According to Linda Shields,  founder of New England’s popular Cage Fighting Extreme (CFX), “MMA’s little talked about secret is its increased focus on safety.”

Shields explained, “MMA was originally promoted as a competition to find the most effective martial art techniques for real, unarmed combat situations.  Because of this, competitors were pitted against one another with minimal rules, as would be the case in actual combat situations.”  MMA debunked a lot of fighting myths and showed the reality of what would and wouldn’t work in an actual fight.  The sport has seen increased popularity with a pay-per-view business that makes it one of the fastest-growing sports in America.  “Whether at the national or regional level,” Shields added, “safety is built into the all our rules and procedures.”

No one should think that MMA is not a dangerous sport and that serious injuries don’t occur.  Every fighter who steps into the ring understands the risks.  However, over the past 20 years, real progress has been made to minimize these risks to ensure safer competition for the athletes while still entertaining the fans.

Dr. David Worman, has a unique MMA perspective.  Not only is Worman an MMA CageFX champion, he’s also an orthopedic surgeon.

“Most of the injuries occur not during the actual competition, but during training," Worman explained. "When I watch organized MMA fights, I’m always amazed that there aren’t more injuries.  A lot of that has to do with all of the safety precautions that go into these productions.”

The precautions begin months before the actual event and start with the fight promoter.  First, the promoter picks two fighters that should be evenly matched in training level and experience.  Then the fighters and the coaches get to evaluate the opponent and decide whether they want to accept the match-up.  The fighters then have months to train and prepare for that single fight.  They are put through a rigorous medical screening for anything that would place them at increased risk for serious injury (dilated eye exam, EKG, CT scan of the brain, physical exam, and blood work for communicable disease, etc.) before they can even show up for the weigh-ins.

“What the casual observer doesn’t understand,” explains Worman, “is that these events are not street brawls or bar fights.   The competitors are closely matched in size and are protected with groin cups, mouth guards, and small gloves.  They are entering into a padded, contained, and protected arena.”  At anytime, a fighter, his corner men, or the ref can immediately stop the fight verbally, or by simply by tapping the mat or his opponent.   Outside the cage there are first responders and a physician waiting to care for the participant should an injury occur.

The safety measures continue after the fight as well.  Any fighter who does receive an injury serious enough to warrant medical treatment, such as a fracture, cut, or most significantly, a concussion, will be suspended from competition for a minimum amount of time and until cleared by a physician to participate again.

“None of this eliminates the risk of this sport,” added Worman, “but I think the preparation, planning, and precautions that are taken before, during, and after a production, make these events as safe as possible, while still maintaining the ideal of ‘combat sport’ that draws the fans and competitors to MMA.”

Read entire article...

4/3/14 2:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TUF Guy 69
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck him. Throw him in a pit, break his arms again, and let him wallow in his own shit.
4/3/14 2:03 PM
staygreenponyboy
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Senator McCain is an enigmatic person.
4/3/14 2:05 PM
RickStorm
1680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

I thought it was pretty cool to hear McCain change his stance. Not that I'm a fan of his, but it was still good to hear

4/3/14 2:33 PM
falsecrack
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RickStorm - 

I thought it was pretty cool to hear McCain change his stance. Not that I'm a fan of his, but it was still good to hear

Meh, it's all bs. MMA's mainstream popularity is what changed McCain's mind. Politicians are all the same.
4/4/14 7:28 AM
Soup and Beer
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont' remember the details but McCain got himself in a lot of hot water in the very early 90's and he lost a ton of political clout.   He was able to target the UFC as a tool to climb the political ladder again.  He was always in the news about it, and he didn't have to worry about political backlash from anyone supporting the UFC.  They had no lobbiests. 

After he was on top again off the back of the UFC, he no longer gave a shit about the issue.  The UFC could have changed the rules to allow chainsaws and swords and you wouldn't have heard anything more from him about it. It was never about safety

4/4/14 8:24 AM
Dogman

Edited: 04/04/14 8:26 AM
If he is for MMA now we might as well get some miles out of the worthless old fuck!<br /><br />Soup is right, he was part of the "Keating Five"...Fucker should be sterilized and deported!

Keating Five link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five
4/4/14 1:41 PM
JitsuGuy
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You all are right. McCain is an opportunist, nothing more. He's elitist scum. He's ignorant, greedy and full of bullshit and needs his ass kicked as reminder that he's no better than those he likes to rule over. Fuck him.
4/4/14 1:46 PM
StrikingMMA
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The McCain stories are growing old already. Can that old fart just be ignored in MMA now that it is successful?
4/4/14 5:57 PM
danny A
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

McCain is still an enemy to this great sport. Don't fucking pose with him.
4/4/14 9:25 PM
Ironclad

I'm not buying it. Increased safety is just a convenient excuse. I had always heard his anti-mma stance was due to some political ties to boxing.

The pro conservative agenda is certainly nothing new here. Speaking of which, I haven't seen a good ol' fashioned union bashing story in a while. The UG Blog must be slipping.
4/4/14 11:23 PM
Kubla khan

McCain loves him some fighting. If he had his way we would be fighting WWIII with Russia. Never thought I'd be glad someone I voted for isn't the president. The fuck was I thinking.
If the UFC wasn't so popular he'd still hate it. Phone Post 3.0
4/4/14 11:35 PM
Macedawgg
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a guess, but I bet Budweiser's involvement had a little something to do with McCain's sudden metamorphisis.

4/4/14 11:52 PM
Marion Cobretti
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck john mccain.. he should be euthanized, he's a complete imbecile..
4/4/14 11:58 PM
crowbar
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg - 

Just a guess, but I bet Budweiser's involvement had a little something to do with McCain's sudden metamorphisis.

True.

4/16/14 5:13 PM
stlnl2
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Macedawgg - 

Exactly. The biggest sponsor of boxing was Bud. MMA was competing with boxing. Bud sponsors MMA, and suddenly....McCain "evolves"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.