UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Josh Burkman Asks For WSOF Release

4/3/14 8:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chris27
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://fansided.com/2014/04/03/josh-burkman-im-happy-wsof-ive-asked-released/#!CGxJr

Josh Burkman is unhappy with the way he has been treated by the World Series of Fighting. Fresh off of his scintillating first round KO victory over Tyler Stinson at WSOF 9, Burkman asked the promotion to release him from his contract.

In recent tweets, Burkman mentioned he feels he was wronged by WSOF:

"I can't work on going anywhere else unless #WSOF releases me. If so, we will start fresh somewhere else...
6:52 PM - 3 Apr 2014"

"@bigfish042 I feel they did me wrong contractually. I asked to be released."

FanSided reached out to Burkman for comment, and he explained his situation:

I have one fight left on my contract. I’m not very happy with the WSOF and I’ve asked to be released. I don’t feel it’s okay for a promotion to disregard a fighter’s contract or the fighter’s pay off a loss, but then try to fine tooth comb the same contract to hold onto a fighter off of a winwin. Contracts should be to take care of fighters and promotions. Not for promotions to take advantage of the fighter. I feel I need to stand up against WSOF while I can so it doesn’t happen to other fighters on the down side of things. I have no idea what the future holds until I resolve things with the WSOF.

Fansided will keep you updated as this story develops.
4/3/14 8:07 PM
BW92

Damn. Burkman should be held in high regard by WSOF. Sucks for him though, because I have a feeling UFC and even Bellator might blacklist him for "not being good enough" to win the WSOF belt Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:10 PM
Hate420
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So he feels they did him wrong contractually, yet he's the one that read and signed that contract? Makes sense. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:12 PM
John M
261 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is weird.
4/3/14 8:14 PM
rexthedog
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not really sure I understand what's going on here, sorry if I'm being retarded, why isn't he happy? Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:16 PM
PrettyBoy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not surprising. WSOF contracts are so bad they are unconscionable. They also have zero clue what they are doing.

FREE Burkman!!! Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:18 PM
Brigham
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm guessing this has something to do with him only getting 25k for his last fight and no win bonus? Phone Post
4/3/14 8:18 PM
Ep32nv
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need to no more to really know what he's really upset about.

But you'd think if they were breaking their contractual obligation he'd have a case. If not he can't complain. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:19 PM
JustAble
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bellator would sign him and could make him a star but I'm sure he wants to go back to the UFC and that's fine with me.

Free Burkman! Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:20 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He may be overvaluing himself right now. Idk if the Bellators or UFC's are going to be treating him like a top free agent since he lost to Carl and then he got beat pretty quickly by Palhares. If they want to sign him at all it isn't going to be for the pay he's coming across as wanting. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 8:21 PM
brahmabull81
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Worst nickname in MMA... BUT hes a great and exciting fighter so I look forward to seeing his future fights in whatever promotion that might be in.
4/3/14 8:23 PM
Chris27

JustAble - Bellator would sign him and could make him a star but I'm sure he wants to go back to the UFC and that's fine with me.

Free Burkman! Phone Post 3.0

Bellator would make him a star? 

4/3/14 8:25 PM
Chris27

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - He may be overvaluing himself right now. Idk if the Bellators or UFC's are going to be treating him like a top free agent since he lost to Carl and then he got beat pretty quickly by Palhares. If they want to sign him at all it isn't going to be for the pay he's coming across as wanting. Phone Post 3.0

Carl lost to Palhares not Burkman, Josh knocked out Stinson on that card last Sat so he is coming off a win.

But you are right, had he beat Carl and last week fought and beat Palhares and defended the belt he would probably get a nice contract from Bellator or UFC.  Now though I think both orgs would sign him but its not gonna be a big contract.

He would probably be best in Bellator, get him in a tournament with Koreshkov, War Machine etc, could be a good future opponent for Lima/Hawn.

4/3/14 8:25 PM
VTCO
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure if Bellator would make him a "star", but he'd be given a bigger platform than the 200,000 people that watch WSOF.
4/3/14 8:27 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris27 -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive - He may be overvaluing himself right now. Idk if the Bellators or UFC's are going to be treating him like a top free agent since he lost to Carl and then he got beat pretty quickly by Palhares. If they want to sign him at all it isn't going to be for the pay he's coming across as wanting. Phone Post 3.0

Carl lost to Palhares not Burkman, Josh knocked out Stinson on that card last Sat so he is coming off a win.

But you are right, had he beat Carl and last week fought and beat Palhares and defended the belt he would probably get a nice contract from Bellator or UFC.  Now though I think both orgs would sign him but its not gonna be a big contract.

He would probably be best in Bellator, get him in a tournament with Koreshkov, War Machine etc, could be a good future opponent for Lima/Hawn.

Yeah that's what I said. He lost to Carl and Carl got owned by the UFC vet immediately after. Just doesn't make the market big for him Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 9:21 PM
loosestcannon
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to see him vs askren somewhere.....
4/3/14 9:24 PM
DWray
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Burkman has at least some name power behind him. I'm more interested to see him fight than many other welterweights not in the UFC.
4/3/14 9:32 PM
MMAIOGIC
570 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Statement should read: "We reached out to Burkman...and he told us absolutely nothing of value regarding his position."

4/3/14 9:34 PM
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much

PrettyBoy - Not surprising. WSOF contracts are so bad they are unconscionable. They also have zero clue what they are doing.

Really? I assume then you have a law degree and read through his contract. Please do us all a favor and fill us in on what the contract says since you have such a great understanding of it.
4/3/14 9:36 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
845 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see Burkman back in the UFC. Fun fights for him in the WW division right now. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 9:38 PM
Und1sputed
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PrettyBoy - Not surprising. WSOF contracts are so bad they are unconscionable. They also have zero clue what they are doing.

Wtf? Explain or what your talking about or be called a liar. I don't know much about their contracts but you can't just say that without any proof. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 9:55 PM
PrettyBoy
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
PrettyBoy - Not surprising. WSOF contracts are so bad they are unconscionable. They also have zero clue what they are doing.

Really? I assume then you have a law degree and read through his contract. Please do us all a favor and fill us in on what the contract says since you have such a great understanding of it.
I am in fact an attorney and have reviewed WSOF contracts before. I have not seen Burkman's but his troubles do not surprise me. They were extremely poorly written in my opinion and had many penalty clauses and exaggerated terms that were almost hilarious and could never be enforced.

Burkman and Vinny are also on Twitter right now confirming what an ass hat Ali is to work with which has been a reoccurring theme with anyone who has had to work with the promotion. The guy is a child. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 10:37 PM
BiggRiggwreckedRVD

you spelled "zuffa contracts" wrong. 

4/3/14 10:40 PM
PrettyBoy

BiggRiggwreckedRVD -

you spelled "zuffa contracts" wrong. 

I've seen those as well. They are totally different. Phone Post 3.0
4/3/14 11:01 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

PrettyBoy -
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -

I am in fact an attorney and have reviewed WSOF contracts before. I have not seen Burkman's but his troubles do not surprise me. They were extremely poorly written in my opinion and had many penalty clauses and exaggerated terms that were almost hilarious and could never be enforced.

Burkman and Vinny are also on Twitter right now confirming what an ass hat Ali is to work with which has been a reoccurring theme with anyone who has had to work with the promotion. The guy is a child. Phone Post 3.0
What I've heard of him on MMA hour and junkie radio doesn't really make him seem like he's really on top of everything. Like him spending tons of time talking crap about Bellator and saying he doesn't put on mismatches. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.