UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rousey fight management contract ruled invalid

4/4/14 12:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RockTheVote
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

id like to understand how much of a role he plays in her career, or was playing up to the split. if hes planning out her practices and gameplans, bringing in the nutritionist, paying for her training before she made it big, and locking down her sponsors... and if hes the one who negotiated her ufc contract... why would he not be paid? i dont know if any of those things are true, but IF they are and the decision is that hes not to be paid thats fucked up. if hes looking for work i wish i could get his number, knowing how good he is at his job. i have some prospects he can help me with! ill make a screen-name bet if we renig! IF the manager really got screwed, i hope his next fighter he helps to the next level shows some loyalty.

if hes a dirtball, fuck him.

4/4/14 12:12 PM
RevDaniel
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Make me wonder if others will go the same route...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mma/news/20140320/johny-hendricks-ufc-171-win-benefits-backers/
4/4/14 12:20 PM
CarlClendenin

Phil999 - 
CarlClendenin - In before CindyO post.

Too late.

Where was it? Didn't see it.

But I can pretty much guess what it was, right?
4/4/14 12:21 PM
RockTheVote
448 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

duckhuntgangsta - 
MagSlim - That ruling is retarded. How could the following possibly be true?

"Following the UFC contract, Harvey’s manager responsibilities for procuring and arranging fights were eliminated, however, he continued managing Rousey by being intimately involved in her MMA activities by promoting her fighting career and by acquiring hundreds of thousands of dollars in paid sponsorships for her, which were generated from Rousey’s fighting success. The arbitrator finds that Harvey was Rousey’s manager.”"

So, in other words, no UFC fighters can have managers once they're signed to the UFC?

No UFC fighters' managers ever turn down fights on behalf of their client? No managers ever call Joe Silva and request fights? No managers ever ask for the UFC time off to develop their fighter? They don't ask for fights in certain cities, or to not travel to Europe or Asia for fighters that don't like that sort of thing?

What the fuck world does Andy Foster live in?
Once you're champ why do you need a manager? You fight all comers. You need an agent to negotiate. Managers suck at that.

Ronda was the champ from day one. Of course she didn't need a manager. Phone Post 3.0

why would the profession "fight manager" exist if fighters kick them to the curb as soon as they hit the big time? the manager gets you through the lean times, when youre making $500 to fight nobodies and his cut would be $50 of her pay in that case. Why should any manager work with a prospect ever again?

4/4/14 12:24 PM
RampageFitsLikeAGlove

duckhuntgangsta - 
MagSlim - That ruling is retarded. How could the following possibly be true?

"Following the UFC contract, Harvey’s manager responsibilities for procuring and arranging fights were eliminated, however, he continued managing Rousey by being intimately involved in her MMA activities by promoting her fighting career and by acquiring hundreds of thousands of dollars in paid sponsorships for her, which were generated from Rousey’s fighting success. The arbitrator finds that Harvey was Rousey’s manager.”"

So, in other words, no UFC fighters can have managers once they're signed to the UFC?

No UFC fighters' managers ever turn down fights on behalf of their client? No managers ever call Joe Silva and request fights? No managers ever ask for the UFC time off to develop their fighter? They don't ask for fights in certain cities, or to not travel to Europe or Asia for fighters that don't like that sort of thing?

What the fuck world does Andy Foster live in?
Once you're champ why do you need a manager? You fight all comers. You need an agent to negotiate. Managers suck at that.

Ronda was the champ from day one. Of course she didn't need a manager. Phone Post 3.0

LOL... an MMA manager sounds like the worst job in the world.

"OK when I'm making $15K + $15K you can be my manager and keep 10%. But when I win the belt and get a PPV percentage, possible making $1M+ per fight, you are not my manager anymore. But when I lose my 2nd title defense and I'm back to $20K + $20K, you can be my manager again, making 10%."
4/4/14 1:18 PM
mestregruber
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They haven't talked about the specifics of why Rousey wanted to fire Fight Tribe, but the agreement was thrown out because it wasn't on the proper forms and wasn't approved by CSAC.
4/4/14 4:29 PM
Kneeblock
151 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think two things are fairly clear from this ruling:

1) Ronda was dating her ex-manager.

2) Ronda will likely see the smallest % increases over the remainder of her career of any of the top names.

4/4/14 9:35 PM
Giventofly99

This play was run not long ago. See Overeem, Alistair. Bas came right out and said that was exactly what had happened...
4/5/14 4:03 AM
Enemies

Sets a bad precedence. People could sign contracts that were deemed unfair in order to get out of paying management fees.

You agreed to these things. Did you read the contract? Were you sober? Were you mentally incapacitated in some way? [Seeing some of her interviews leads me to believe this may be a possibility but I digress.] If not, you have no excuse. Honor the words you signed.

The manager was smart. He saw her potential so he set himself up as her entertainment manager instead of her MMA manager. So he carefully worded the contract to ensure that he got 10% of a bigger piece of the pie for having done and his job and continuing to do his job.

It's a slippery slope. Soon what? Zuffa's contracts will be deemed unfair? Maybe they are but everybody has the right not to sign them if they choose not to. There are other promotions to fight for.

Anyway, my point is that Rousey has no honour. Just greed. The man earned his 10% imo.
4/5/14 5:14 AM
mmainsurgent
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/05/14 5:23 AM
Dana: "Ronda, post- first UFC fight fighter meeting in my office right now. Please lock the door nice and tight behind you."

Ronda: "Yes Boss!"

Dana: "While your down there... I'd like to talk about your manager. Drop that m**** f***er!

He's just been trying to rip you off by paying for you to eat, train, have a place to live, clothe you, support your girlfriend, lease your car, and pay all of your travel expenses for the past 4 years back to when you were destitute.

I'm gonna watch out for you personally Ronda. Just like you were one of my "family". (hi mom! :)) You're gonna be a star baby!

There's tons of scumbag MMA managers out there who don't have your best interest in mind. Only the UFC has your best interest in mind. We 'always' put our fighters first. You don't need anybody negotiating fight purse contracts for you. Don...worrry 'bout it! I'll take care of it.

Me & Lorenzo will protect you from all the scum and make you a million fighting at least 3 times a year before you hit menopause. We need to keep the numbers on the down low so to protect you from your mom, dad, brothers, sisters and other hanger-oner's who'd try a rob you blind.

Lorenzo & I have found it's best never to fully disclose this money kinda' stuff to the commissions, media, or public... so I'll making regular installments 'in'... i mean 'to' you and we'll call them bedroom... I mean backdoor... Er uh "backroom bonuses" in private."

Ronda: "Thank you Dana. Your so great it should be F***ING ILLEGAL!"

Mmmm... Seems Lorenzo sat Overeem down a while back and told him to do much the same thing. Seems that didn't go to well in court for Alistair.
4/5/14 6:36 AM
Dead President
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO -
Dead President - What a relief! Phone Post 3.0

Were you stressed out about Ronda's contract?

Cindy

Sorry. It was sarcasm. Phone Post 3.0
4/16/14 9:29 PM
creepymcfinger

CindyO -
Dead President - What a relief! Phone Post 3.0

Were you stressed out about Ronda's contract?

Cindy

It keeps me up at night Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.