UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White on Shields: "He's never going to be the guy"

4/7/14 9:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mijo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Damian Maia gets cut as soon as he loses, because its quite obvious that he will never be the man either!
4/7/14 10:00 PM
Delorian
283 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WSOF should pick Jake up and have him fight Burkman. If Burkman wins, he's out of the promotion and hopefully back into the UFC. Phone Post 3.0
Tankhead
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MasterofMartialArts -
Jesus Cannons - So if Lombard gets the next shot after just beating a guy they just cut, what does that say about Lombard's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
Anderson beat Cote then Patrick got cut two fights after, what does that say about Anderson's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
Never go full retard. Phone Post 3.0
ChaosOverkill
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/07/14 10:01 PM
IBProfane - Fuck Dana.

This

Aren't there like dozens of guys that will never be "The guy?" 

4/7/14 10:44 PM
Alumynabjj

IBProfane - Fuck Dana.

Fuck your mother!

/he is right on this one
4/7/14 10:46 PM
cantuna4u
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boo. This is low. I hope he doesnt go to boreator. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 10:46 PM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT

Fucking scumbag Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 10:51 PM
Pitbull3744

Dana is right BUT he said she was going to be the guy didn't he? Didn't he bust his ass and make a whole scene when he signed shields after the Hendo fight?

I'm on my phone but I posted it in my other thread a picture with Dana smiling his ass off sitting with shields and pointing to him like oh yeah I got him.

Jake is the same fighter now as he was then Dana. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 10:52 PM
RIP LawlerComebackStory
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That logic makes perfect sense, it really does. The problem is that Dana doesn't have that stance on every fighter in Shields' situation. What Dana argued in that article applies about 10 times more to a guy like Wanderlei Silva.

Silva has declined more than Shields, Silva is lower ranked than Shields, Silva is older than Shields, and Silva is more expensive than Shields. And obviously we all get why Silva is still in the UFC - he's an exciting fighter than fans want to see fight.

It's just annoying to see Dana claim that the reason he cut Shields is because he's only interested in creating contenders and future champions, yet he wholeheartedly embraces the absolute farce that is Sonnen vs Wanderlei - fueling the completely fabricated feud, putting them on a reality show, sticking it on a co-main of a PPV etc. There's nothing wrong with Wandy vs Sonnen per se, but to hear the logic of the UFC cutting Shields and then trying to justify Wandy's position in the UFC using those same parameters, you see the hypocrisy.

The truth is that Shields was far more relevant and a far better fighter than Silva and probably Sonnen, but he only cut Shields because Jake didn't necessarily put money in his pocket. Again, that's the UFC's prerogative and I completely understand the decision, but fans are allowed to bitch about the legitimacy of the sport when they make decisions like this.

4/7/14 10:55 PM
The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD

shaqitup - "never going to be the guy" is the dumbest fucking reason.

I could clean out 95% of the UFC roster with that logic.
This... VTFU Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 10:56 PM
The Fella
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the UFC is going to cut Jake because of his style of fighting - then I don't want to hear Rogan ever again complain about ref's standing fighters up early.

If the UFC is looking for excitement then let's start standing fights up faster.

For the longest time - I hated the "lay and pray" or "Wall and Stall" game plans - but to be honest - if a fighter can't escape or can't figure out a way to counter ....then they deserve what they get .....at least they will go back to the gym and start working on their weakness and game planning to counter.

I think there is a lot of hypocricy in the UFC and it's to bad -

The realease of Jake Shields is a real heartbreaker - despite his not so favorable style of fighting - he has wins over many greats and somehow keeps winning.

Fitch-Okami-Shields? ....come on now UFC .....if you want to be Sports Entertainment ....at least give us fans the fights we want to see.

4/7/14 10:57 PM
RIP LawlerComebackStory
458 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD - 

4/7/14 11:01 PM
phillyslice99

Typical cut

Step 1. Cut fighter
Step 2. Bash fighter Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 11:22 PM
ShanTheMan
800 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN -

And yet Hendo will get a title shot if he beats Cormier.

lol

Hendo sells more, people love that mofo.
I like Shields just fine but he doesnt exactly have a great HL reel lately Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 11:29 PM
mclifford82
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree with the cut 100%. Jake is a fantastic athlete, but such a shitty entertainment value.
4/7/14 11:30 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Ghost of REED ROTHCHILD -

I didn't post the whole article but he did mention pay as being a factor as well. For 95% of the roster that's not a factor. Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 11:34 PM
Mertvaya Ruka

I hate these moves, Shields was still a big threat, fuck this bs, fighters need some representation, I hope the UFC keep it up, they are making a fighter's association more likely by the day. I want to see fighters get their dues and not be discarded like trash when they are deemed not good enough anymore by the scumfucks in charge.
4/7/14 11:35 PM
Looney Ronulan Paultard

Tankhead -
MasterofMartialArts -
Jesus Cannons - So if Lombard gets the next shot after just beating a guy they just cut, what does that say about Lombard's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
Anderson beat Cote then Patrick got cut two fights after, what does that say about Anderson's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
Never go full retard. Phone Post 3.0
Cote was actually beating Anderson until he injured hinself... Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 11:37 PM
rbl
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Koga - Adding insult to injury, DFW keeping it classy as always. How about, "Jake Shields fought for the UFC for the last 3 years against top opponents, including a title fight v GSP that had the biggest gate of any UFC in history. While we have made the difficult decision to release Jake, I wish him well in his future career." Phone Post 3.0
Exactly. I can see why he was cut but surely a little respect would be appropriate? Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 11:46 PM
TBA11

Shields on a downswing? 4-1 in his last 5 fights.... Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 11:49 PM
dubate
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PisoMojado -
If Lombard beats Hendrix then what does that say about Lombards legitimacy?? Phone Post 3.0
That he dug up the grave of a guitar god and then proceeded to beat the shit out of a skeleton. AND FOR WHAT??? Phone Post 3.0
4/7/14 11:54 PM
Cherrycola
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shit on a guy when he's down Dana, real cool.. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 12:05 AM
ManWithTheIronFists
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shields vs Palharaes for the WSOF Welterweight Championship!
4/8/14 12:06 AM
chaplinshouse
745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rbl - 
Koga - Adding insult to injury, DFW keeping it classy as always. How about, "Jake Shields fought for the UFC for the last 3 years against top opponents, including a title fight v GSP that had the biggest gate of any UFC in history. While we have made the difficult decision to release Jake, I wish him well in his future career." Phone Post 3.0
Exactly. I can see why he was cut but surely a little respect would be appropriate? Phone Post 3.0

Classier, but that doesn't explain why he was cut.
4/8/14 12:07 AM
MisterHawkeMMA

Business 101... your presense has to justify your salary. Jake Sheilds did it to himself. He negotiated a huge deal when he had the leverage, and as soon as his leverage evaporated, he got cut. Gilbert Melendez will go through the same thing. 

Also... you guys are what got Sheilds and Fitch cut. And are the reason Askren didn't get signed at the dollar amount he wanted. Don't think that Dana doesn't realize how this site almost unanimously goes into a coma whenever one of those guys fights.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.