UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White on Shields: "He's never going to be the guy"

4/8/14 12:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
caposa
1704 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4/8/14 1:01 AM
thatcpjguy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zed Wayne Zed - Unreal.

Shields could beat almost anyone in that WW on any night.

Look forward to the day Dana White is not the face of MMA.

You look forward to it for what? So Instead of him telling you the real reason why they cut him you want some politically correct bullshit answer. Jake was brought in to challenge GSP, not become the welterweight gatekeeper that he is now. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:03 AM
thatcpjguy

MisterHawkeMMA -

Business 101... your presense has to justify your salary. Jake Sheilds did it to himself. He negotiated a huge deal when he had the leverage, and as soon as his leverage evaporated, he got cut. Gilbert Melendez will go through the same thing. 

Also... you guys are what got Sheilds and Fitch cut. And are the reason Askren didn't get signed at the dollar amount he wanted. Don't think that Dana doesn't realize how this site almost unanimously goes into a coma whenever one of those guys fights.

Nah it's not the site. 10 comments here about jake shields fight is much more talk about shields than he gets from the casuals watching live or at a bar. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:09 AM
Bulerias

IBProfane - Fuck Dana.
Fuck em'... Dana isn't the guy ~ Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:16 AM
The Fella
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 

4/8/14 1:37 AM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thatcpjguy - 
Zed Wayne Zed - Unreal.

You look forward to it for what? So Instead of him telling you the real reason why they cut him you want some politically correct bullshit answer. Jake was brought in to challenge GSP, not become the welterweight gatekeeper that he is now. Phone Post 3.0

I actually feel Dana was still being PC about it to a degree.

His "He'll never be the guy" was an ostensible reasoning. We all know the guy was cut cause he had an excessively prosaic style that did not enlighten the mainstream fan base.

Dana should just tell it like it is, he cut him cause his fighting style is trite and boring according to most fans.
4/8/14 1:41 AM
ThEUniT

Shields beat a ton of people. Cutting him hurts the sport as he's a top contender. Maybe he and Ben can fight in OneFC Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:44 AM
Mike_in_CA
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cut because he is boring as fuck and costs 120k, makes sense to me. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:53 AM
Il Duce
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poor Jake. Gotta feel for the guy. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:55 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You'll NEVER build names without keeping guys.

To make a star, they need to beat NAMES.

It's the pro wrestling template and it works.

If you beat a jobber no one knows, what did that do?

If you beat a TV guy on TV it made the fans view you seriously.

Too many cards feature a dozen guys no one knows and this devalues the wins.

Beating Brock Lesnar MADE Cain Velasquez.

Obviously Jake isn't Brock but Jake has headlined a PPV versus GSP and his name was known.

Imagine the guy who KOs Jake? With his name and his chin it would establish credibility straight away.

Continue with cards of 12 Brasilians no one knows and no one will be over. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:58 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goeb -
thatcpjguy - 
Zed Wayne Zed - Unreal.

I actually feel Dana was still being PC about it to a degree.

His "He'll never be the guy" was an ostensible reasoning. We all know the guy was cut cause he had an excessively prosaic style that did not enlighten the mainstream fan base.

Dana should just tell it like it is, he cut him cause his fighting style is trite and boring according to most fans.
Tim Boetsch will never be THE guy.

Fuck, Urijah Faber will never be THE guy.

Faber doesn't draw flies on PPV and is mid 30s at a high rate of pay.

Why keep Faber?

Show me proof Faber sells PPV buys or will suddenly beat Barao and I'll listen but Faber is as cut worthy as Jake. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 1:58 AM
Trane

This is bullshit logic. If you cut every guy "who is never going to be the guy", your divisions would be left with 6 fighters each.

Everybody knows the real reason, Dana doesn't need to mask it with something else.

4/8/14 2:25 AM
CaptChaos
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is really simple... I love Jake but the following apply:

* Not an exciting fighter
* Had his shot at the belt
* Makes a ton of money
* Isn't super popular

Guys mma is business 1st. How do you think the regional shows work? If fighters can sell tix they have a better chance of fighting for you than non ticket sellers.

I get it. I really do. I just wish Dana could keep a guy like Jake,

The last angle may be... The UFC hopes Bellator picks him up?
4/8/14 3:12 AM
Acidic

CaptChaos - This is really simple... I love Jake but the following apply:

* Not an exciting fighter
* Had his shot at the belt
* Makes a ton of money
* Isn't super popular

Guys mma is business 1st. How do you think the regional shows work? If fighters can sell tix they have a better chance of fighting for you than non ticket sellers.

I get it. I really do. I just wish Dana could keep a guy like Jake,

The last angle may be... The UFC hopes Bellator picks him up?

To his credit hes on the front of yahoo.
4/8/14 3:24 AM
theoutsiders
202 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BeauTown - The guy got Victorys but man try were boring and ineffective I'm happy he is out Phone Post 3.0
Ineffective victories ? What ? Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 3:35 AM
Thacommish
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I get it. I really do. I just wish Dana could keep a guy like Jake, " Wtf is stopping him? the money? he makes it snow in vegas on command.
4/8/14 3:36 AM
Thacommish
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Btw anyone know if jake and gil have the same management?
4/8/14 4:47 AM
Acecool72

Maybe this will motivate him to improve his stand up game Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 4:53 AM
TheVileOne
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TBA11 - Shields on a downswing? 4-1 in his last 5 fights.... Phone Post 3.0

Try 3-1 with 1 no contest in his last five. One of those wins was overturned to a no contest because he failed a drug test. And we still don't know what it was for.
4/8/14 4:56 AM
Dominique Robinson
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He shits on everybody Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 5:15 AM
slamming

Jesus Cannons - So if Lombard gets the next shot after just beating a guy they just cut, what does that say about Lombard's legitimacy? Phone Post 3.0
Shields was tough as nails and had a style that more often than not makes people look very bad.

The problem was that he was incredibly ineffective at making it look like he was dominant in any of his victories in the last few years. The only fight I've thought he looked even remotely dominant (albeit not deadly at all) in the last few years was in the Henderson fight.

Lombard doesn't lose too much though in my opinion. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 5:22 AM
Yussarian
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

- Get rid of a guy with a name, that will never be the guy.
- Place rude comments crapping over guy's career on way out
- Hire new guy with no name, that will never be the guy.

4/8/14 5:25 AM
ophusker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSP said he thought Shields would end up with the belt and he's fought most all of these guys. I think he's a very legit contender and it hurts the UFC when they make moves like this. I hope he goes to the WSOF they are starting to put together some nice fighters. I wish Askren would have gone there too. Fitch, Burkman, Palhares, Sheilds, Askren etc is a ww division that would easily rival and maybe surpass what the UFC has without GSP. Sheilds choked out Lawler with ease and he beat Woodley, he beat Maia etc.
4/8/14 5:28 AM
madmav
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how much would it take for lorenzo to fire clown shoes?? another problem is the mma media totally eats up whatever egghead serves up..
4/8/14 5:54 AM
HarryPalms
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what a load of shit. better cut Sheilds to make way for 32 more no names that couldn't even win in the TUF house.
But you know, Shields isn't going to be 'the guy' so it makes sense to cut him and bring them in.

Fuck him, just keep cutting talent and believing the 3 letters at the top of the poster will keep us watching subpar fighters battling for scraps while you rake in the cash and import snow.
Greedy cocksucker.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.