UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White on Shields: "He's never going to be the guy"

4/8/14 9:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Judge Mental
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana is 100% correct.

4/8/14 9:48 AM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Loxly - Jake's better than all these guys i've never heard of on fight pass and undercards.

Jake makes too much money in the eyes of UFC
You answered your own... statement? Jake makes a lot more money than the guys on prelims so he's gotta perform to that level. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 9:48 AM
Endowedwelter
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pitbull3744 - Dana is right BUT he said she was going to be the guy didn't he? Didn't he bust his ass and make a whole scene when he signed shields after the Hendo fight?

I'm on my phone but I posted it in my other thread a picture with Dana smiling his ass off sitting with shields and pointing to him like oh yeah I got him.

Jake is the same fighter now as he was then Dana. Phone Post 3.0

Go watch highlights from Jakes career pre and post UFC.
4/8/14 9:49 AM
steveAKAslick
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Shields was pretty boring, but if he had focused on his standup early in his career and as good as his JJ is I don't think it's crazy TJ say that the dude would have been a beast... Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 9:53 AM
Endowedwelter

JeffersonDArcyChoke - You'll NEVER build names without keeping guys.

To make a star, they need to beat NAMES.

It's the pro wrestling template and it works.

If you beat a jobber no one knows, what did that do?

If you beat a TV guy on TV it made the fans view you seriously.

Too many cards feature a dozen guys no one knows and this devalues the wins.

Beating Brock Lesnar MADE Cain Velasquez.

Obviously Jake isn't Brock but Jake has headlined a PPV versus GSP and his name was known.

Imagine the guy who KOs Jake? With his name and his chin it would establish credibility straight away.

Continue with cards of 12 Brasilians no one knows and no one will be over. Phone Post 3.0

Cain beating Brock helped his stock for sure but a more accurate statement would be The HW champ has a 13-1 record and 9 of those were TKO/KO. Brock was just some icing.
4/8/14 10:08 AM
Pitbull3744
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Endowedwelter - 
Pitbull3744 - Dana is right BUT he said she was going to be the guy didn't he? Didn't he bust his ass and make a whole scene when he signed shields after the Hendo fight?

I'm on my phone but I posted it in my other thread a picture with Dana smiling his ass off sitting with shields and pointing to him like oh yeah I got him.

Jake is the same fighter now as he was then Dana. Phone Post 3.0

Go watch highlights from Jakes career pre and post UFC.

You saying he used to be more active?  If so i agree but the style was the same.  

4/8/14 10:10 AM
BiggRiggwreckedRVD

TheVileOne -
TBA11 - Shields on a downswing? 4-1 in his last 5 fights.... Phone Post 3.0

Try 3-1 with 1 no contest in his last five. One of those wins was overturned to a no contest because he failed a drug test. And we still don't know what it was for.
Still won the fight. A nc isnt gonna change what he did in it. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 10:12 AM
MisterMr
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Demian Maia will ever be the guy? Losing from Shields then MacDonald? I guess not? Will he get cut? No.

For a sport, this cut doesn't make any sense.
4/8/14 10:15 AM
Pitbull3744

MisterMr - So Demian Maia will ever be the guy? Losing from Shields then MacDonald? I guess not? Will he get cut? No.

For a sport, this cut doesn't make any sense.

I think thats what everyone is kind of bugging out about.  The UFC is just killing themselves by doing things like this.  They will never be a legit sport when you can just do whatever you want and there is no rhyme or reason other than, not exciting or costs too much, but imagine if every sport opperated that way. 

I Know the UFC is entertainment based and they need the guys who are draws, but to be legit you have to have the same rules for everyone not just pick and choose.  

4/8/14 10:19 AM
ophusker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is another reason why I think the UFC pay structure is bullshit. A guy like Shields works hard and works his way up to decent money and then they cut him after one loss so they can hire a guy making 10/10 to replace him. Why would any decent athlete ever want to get into MMA with a strcture like that?
4/8/14 11:19 AM
Anthomis

Tommyunited -
ABE FROMAN -

And yet Hendo will get a title shot if he beats Cormier.

lol

Hendo has a punchers chance Phone Post 3.0
Jake Shields beat Hendo Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 12:33 PM
in before 11er

what a fucking joke...
this is why ufc/mma will never be more than a niche sport.. surpass soccer and co.? get the fuck out of here..
4/8/14 2:02 PM
lolll

JeffersonDArcyChoke - You'll NEVER build names without keeping guys.

To make a star, they need to beat NAMES.

It's the pro wrestling template and it works.

If you beat a jobber no one knows, what did that do?

If you beat a TV guy on TV it made the fans view you seriously.

Too many cards feature a dozen guys no one knows and this devalues the wins.

Beating Brock Lesnar MADE Cain Velasquez.

Obviously Jake isn't Brock but Jake has headlined a PPV versus GSP and his name was known.

Imagine the guy who KOs Jake? With his name and his chin it would establish credibility straight away.

Continue with cards of 12 Brasilians no one knows and no one will be over. Phone Post 3.0

imagine the guy who kos him? it sure didnt do much for jake ellenberger who did it in less then a minute. the sad thing about sheilds is not many people are impressed when you beat him and even less are impressed with him when he wins
4/8/14 2:09 PM
Arachnoid

I have never been so happy to see a fighters career come to a close.

That said, I wish him the best in his KOTC title run.
4/8/14 2:23 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Madrugadao - If the UFC keep giving WSOF top fighters, they will be the number 2 org in no time...
lol UFC would not release a top fighter in their prime. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 2:35 PM
Original_Tazuna

Dana White has epically failed again on a very stupid thing which he hasn't thought through. The reason why he dropped Jake Shields is because he didnt what to pay him what he has earned over the last 10 years. Also because he wants to see retards fighting like crazed chickens not real martial artists whether they be strikers or grapplers.

Please any Dana nuthugger explain to me if this actually makes sense and "someone winning the tite actually makes a difference in the UFC then explain CHAEL SONNEN?
4/8/14 2:37 PM
Original_Tazuna

PS Shields is a top fighter everyoine knows that pretty much anyone in the top ten could have there day and if there on then they could win the title.
4/8/14 2:52 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
801 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it was time

4/8/14 3:20 PM
44 Magnum
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's all about putting butts in seats. If guys don't do that for what the UFC pays them, they go. It's that simple.

4/8/14 4:23 PM
PrestigeWorldwide
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Madrugadao -
PrestigeWorldwide - 
Madrugadao - If the UFC keep giving WSOF top fighters, they will be the number 2 org in no time...
lol UFC would not release a top fighter in their prime. Phone Post 3.0

lol? So, are you saying Shields is not a top fighter or is past his prime?
Shields is a top fighter, but he's in his mid 30's and has been fighting since the late 90's. Yes, he's past his prime. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 4:25 PM
CurtisTheConqueror
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well he's right. Like it or not the Baldfather makes sense Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 4:35 PM
Hammerstein
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So he cut him because he's not top ten?  Are they only planning on having 10 people in each division now?

4/8/14 4:36 PM
dubate
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ophusker - This is another reason why I think the UFC pay structure is bullshit. A guy like Shields works hard and works his way up to decent money and then they cut him after one loss so they can hire a guy making 10/10 to replace him. Why would any decent athlete ever want to get into MMA with a strcture like that?
Ever watch the NFL? The entire league is based on that. Phone Post 3.0
4/8/14 6:51 PM
IGOTBELCHED

Lol how many guys in the ufc are going to be the guy then? Why not release them all and have fuck all fighters. Its times like this when you know MMA isn't a sport its a private business owned by ZUFFA, bush league.
4/8/14 7:34 PM
danggook
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IGOTBELCHED - Lol how many guys in the ufc are going to be the guy then? Why not release them all and have fuck all fighters. Its times like this when you know MMA isn't a sport its a private business owned by ZUFFA, bush league.
most pro sports are private businesses. and most have built in rule to prevent stalling. shot clock in basketball and play clock in football. if there was a "do something" clock in mma fighters like Jake would get taken care of appropriately. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.