UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Disgusting brawl delayed Chael vs. Wand fight

4/17/14 9:41 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1072 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

In a Wurrlstarr meets MMA moment, Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva, opposing coaches on TUF: Brazil 3, engaged in a brawl on last week's episode. 

The rise of reality television has turned appalling behavior into a commodity. However, at the TUF Nations Finale post fight press conference, UFC president Dana White was not impressed.

"That fight's going to happen," said White as transcribed by Mike Chiappetta. "What happens is Wanderlei got hurt in the fight. He got double-legged on the concrete. He hurt his back. He hurt his hand punching Chael in the head. He got injured, so he couldn't fight on time because he got hurt f---ing coaching the show. It's just disgusting."

"That thing was a disgusting display of what shouldn't happen, and if I was there, that would have never happened. It's as bad as it can get."

White laid blame on the coaches, on the producers, and on the crew, who could have broken it up, but instead simply recorded the compelling content. We all watched it, twice, so blame goes to us, too.

Unless, it was all a work set up by Chael Sonnen...

Wanderlei Silva went on Facebook and while acknowledging that it was wrong when coach Andre Dida punched Chael causing bruising and a small cut, never the less thanked him.

"People have no idea what was like to handle that guy teasing us every single day at TUF," wrote Silva as translated by Guilherme Cruz. "That was the moment where the glass overflowed. We’re not in favor of any type of violence.

"This week, I’ll release a video so people will understand the whole context and not only the isolated fact. He started the brawl. I had already let it go and he kept teasing. I ask for apology for the bad impression."

"The action was wrong but with the right motivation to defend a brother. I thank you, Andre Dida, for your loyalty, because it would have been much easier to do nothing. We know that you did what you did in the heat of the moment, without thinking about it, in defensive instinct.

"We met each other when we were 12 and I was like your older brother, and we’ve been through many things together. We got together after you became one of my coaches and we fight together ever since."

4/17/14 9:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shatefak
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I guess it wasn't fake. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 9:59 AM
Nitsuj9

shatefak - So I guess it wasn't fake. Phone Post 3.0

Or Danas a really good promoter and one of the biggest bullshitters the world has ever known lol.  He fucking set that shit up and plays the good guy role now and is like THAT WAS DISGUSTING! *but got us lots of ratings shhhh.

4/17/14 10:01 AM
UGCTT_Zacharinho
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol remember when it happened and Dana White was super pumped, tweeting about it, using clips in commercial. Telling the world 'these guys genuinely hate eachother'. And then when the MMA world starts to condemn the fight Dana suddenly jumps on that wagon. Lol. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:03 AM
Gin Tonic
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Zacharinho - Lol remember when it happened and Dana White was super pumped, tweeting about it, using clips in commercial. Telling the world 'these guys genuinely hate eachother'. And then when the MMA world starts to condemn the fight Dana suddenly jumps on that wagon. Lol. Phone Post 3.0

This.

a complete 180
4/17/14 10:04 AM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Zacharinho - Lol remember when it happened and Dana White was super pumped, tweeting about it, using clips in commercial. Telling the world 'these guys genuinely hate eachother'. And then when the MMA world starts to condemn the fight Dana suddenly jumps on that wagon. Lol. Phone Post 3.0

4/17/14 10:04 AM
BobSherob
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He is right though. It is fucking disgusting. As much as we want to see dudes fight, this is now trying to be a respectable sport and they should be setting a better example.

That being said, I can't wait to see chael kick wandys butt inside the octagon. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:07 AM
caposa
1606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The confrontation was staged, the fight was real. There was nothing fake about those elbows Wand was throwing off his back. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:16 AM
kevsh
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana puts a pit bull and a python in a cage together then acts shocked and disgusted when they attack each other.
4/17/14 10:24 AM
canofsticks
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - The confrontation was staged, the fight was real. There was nothing fake about those elbows Wand was throwing off his back. Phone Post 3.0

well that doesn't make sense. Are you suggesting they both agreed to confront each other for good TV, and then one of them suddenly dropped the script and made it real?

Seems more likely the whole thing was real.
4/17/14 10:29 AM
rockfists

A "disgusting" brawl that shouldn't have happened.... yet the only thing they've shown, teased, released on YouTube like 4 times, and promoted about the season.

Way to show how disgusting it was. I love Dana but he is such a salesman. Phone Post
4/17/14 10:35 AM
KneeToFaceKO

I call bullshit. Promotion.....how does it work? Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:39 AM
caposa
1606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canofsticks -
caposa - The confrontation was staged, the fight was real. There was nothing fake about those elbows Wand was throwing off his back. Phone Post 3.0

well that doesn't make sense. Are you suggesting they both agreed to confront each other for good TV, and then one of them suddenly dropped the script and made it real?

How does that not make sense? Have you ever watched a TUF before? There are always these awkwardly staged confrontations between coaches where they talk shit to each other. This time a fight broke out. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:43 AM
RenanViaEarlyStoppage
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Zacharinho - Lol remember when it happened and Dana White was super pumped, tweeting about it, using clips in commercial. Telling the world 'these guys genuinely hate eachother'. And then when the MMA world starts to condemn the fight Dana suddenly jumps on that wagon. Lol. Phone Post 3.0
VU Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:43 AM
Nitsuj9

Maybe someone forgot to tell Wand it was a work lol

Wandy don't play that!!!

Wand by KO knee as Sonnen comes in for a takedown.

Wand knows what will happen now and will be prepared. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 10:49 AM
rockfists

For $9.99 you can see this disgusting brawl that Dana would have never let happen, where Chael hurt Silvas back with a brutal double leg on concrete, and Silva hurt his own hands punching Chael in the face.

Disgusting. Top link next to the share button. Phone Post
4/17/14 10:56 AM
canofsticks
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

caposa - 
canofsticks -

How does that not make sense? Have you ever watched a TUF before? There are always these awkwardly staged confrontations between coaches where they talk shit to each other. This time a fight broke out. Phone Post 3.0

I just explained how it doesn't make sense.
If the two options on the table are:

1) Wandy (who hasn't liked Chael since LONG before TUF) and Chael make a gentleman's agreement to have a confrontation to make for good TV, but during the script one of them suddenly breaks script and makes it real, injuring themselves in the process.

OR

2) Wandy who hasn't like Chael for several years, confronted Chael and agitated him, and then Chael felt the need to defend himself, causing the scuffle.

I'm choosing option 2 as the most likely.
4/17/14 11:03 AM
Aaron Becker

I doubt that's the reason it was delayed. he didn't get taken down hard or get slammed or anything and Wands got some really brittle hands if he got hurt from a few punches on Chael noggin
4/17/14 11:12 AM
ClemenzasCannoli
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Dana was so disgusted he wouldn't have tweeted and bragged about it and he most certainly wouldn't have let the video be aired. I don't wanna hear he had no control and that the network made the choice to air it. If he truly wanted it out due to it being so appalling, he has enough clout to make that happen. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 11:31 AM
beenlurking4years
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It seems to me this was like any other day on TUF. The coaches have to be in the same room and they talk a little smack. Wandy comes of as a total child here though claiming that he had to start a brawl on TV because Chael was making fun of him. This might be good for ratings but it's terrible for the sort.

P.S. If you are somehow appalled by Dana changing his stance on the incident you obviously don't understand the roll of a promoter. You can't go lookng for logic and reason in the things the guy says when we all know he will say anything for ratings. Phone Post 3.0
4/17/14 11:34 AM
caposa

canofsticks - 
caposa - 
canofsticks -

I just explained how it doesn't make sense.
If the two options on the table are:

1) Wandy (who hasn't liked Chael since LONG before TUF) and Chael make a gentleman's agreement to have a confrontation to make for good TV, but during the script one of them suddenly breaks script and makes it real, injuring themselves in the process.

OR

2) Wandy who hasn't like Chael for several years, confronted Chael and agitated him, and then Chael felt the need to defend himself, causing the scuffle.

I'm choosing option 2 as the most likely.

Granted, they were on the TUF set, so there was likely cameras set up everywhere, but of all the places Wand chooses to confront Chael it's right when the cameras are rolling? Right in front of cage with perfect lighting?

I don't know, maybe I'm just more skeptical about reality TV. I guess either one is possible, but watching 20 something seasons of TUF, it looked like a run of the mill staged confrontation to me.

4/17/14 11:43 AM
MMAIOGIC
659 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"That fight's going to happen," said White as transcribed by Mike Chiappetta. "What happens is Wanderlei got hurt in the fight. He got double-legged on the concrete. He hurt his back. He hurt his hand punching Chael in the head. He got injured, so he couldn't fight on time because he got hurt f---ing coaching the show. It's just disgusting."

Good lord, Dana, get your lies straight. The whole time Chael was saying, "Wanderlei is scared to fight me and that is why he hasn't signed" and never once mentioned him being injured. Hell, even DANA said the hold up was on Wanderlei's end and never once mentioned him being injured (even though Dana had publicly already mentioned the brawl).
4/17/14 11:46 AM
rjbo71

Gin Tonic - 

This.

a complete 180

This all day.

It all backfired and now he is trying to legitamize it by claiming they are so injured... How come this is the first we are hearing about these injuries?

BULLLLSHIIIIIT!

Welcome to the UFE!
4/17/14 11:48 AM
bartatua

Tuf really is a magical place

You can even injure your hand by throwing a (missed) slap and some elbows

Truly, anything can happen in the exciting world of reality tv
4/17/14 11:50 AM
Moaozinho

Black Belt, Lotus Club BJJ
shatefak - So I guess it wasn't fake. Phone Post 3.0

Are you joking?  So you bought into Wrestlemania when Vince sold it as real?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.