UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Getting nose surgery next week, TME

4/18/14 4:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Slowshot
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, after 20 years of not being able to breathe, I finally went to the ENT and she was like "yes, you have a pathetic nose that's been broken several times", which was not news to me.

She said I needed surgery to fix my severely deviated septum and shrink my turbinates.

She said I'd get the surgery wednesday, get the plastic out friday, and be 100 percent by Monday. Her words were "based on what I'm seeing in your nose, you will probably find this to be life changing"

OGers who have done this crap, have I fucked up massively by doing this, or have I made the best decision ever?
4/18/14 4:36 PM
cycklops
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy got it done a year or so ago. Wishes he had done it sooner. He does a lot of BMX and it's helped in a big way I guess. Said "It's like a big party of air in my nose now!"

4/18/14 4:39 PM
honestus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had similar but more invasive surgery just done, all of what you said plus my sinuses opened, expanded, scrapped, and polyps removed. The pain isn't too bad the surgery was ok, but the recovery sucks. I can't leave bed or bend over, not even to lift the toilet seat because of the cuts inside, if I blow out a stitch they have to open me up again.

On the plus side I can breath for the first time in ages, and they think I may be able to get my smell back.

It's not bad overall just listen to the doc and do what they say, if you fuck up and not listen you can kill yourself from the bleeding.
4/18/14 4:39 PM
honestus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 2 days out of surgery btw, and outside of the massive blood boogers I have no complaints
4/18/14 4:42 PM
DaddyRich
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surgery isn't too bad. I took my meds as soon as I started feeling pain so I didn't have many problems. Have your phone handy because you're going to produce world class boogers and blood clots.
4/18/14 4:45 PM
Slowshot
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

honestus - I'm 2 days out of surgery btw, and outside of the massive blood boogers I have no complaints

Would you mind posting a day by day, so I knwo what to expect?
4/18/14 5:02 PM
honestus

Surgery day was alright, woke up and had a late surgery so I couldn't eat or drink till late. My surgery was at 1230 was supposed to be 2 hours.

I got in and they did the IV, then gave me an injection and wheeled me into the OR. I remember talking with them about donuts and then passed out. I woke up later in pain and really thirsty having to pee. Some nurse pulled my dick out and I peed in what I can best describe as a bottle, then they gave me another shot (fentanyl maybe?) and I was in lala land again. Woke up a while later and they let me eat crackers and I could drink some water. Immediately I could breath, it was weird, it almost hurt to have air flowing through my nose, its been so long.

I had a huge sinus headache and what I can best describe as the feeling of someone rubbing the inside of your skull with a cheese grater for the first night, but some pills helped that and I ended up going home around 10pm maybe and passing out.

I slept about 6 hours and woke up starving, I felt good yesterday, sore but nothing crazy. I just have to take it really easy all day which is annoying but possible. I spent all day just relaxing and going in an out of naps while watching netflix and getting ready to take the next round of pain meds. I got super constipated from the surgery so my stomach was messed up, I ate tomato soup and cheese its and that was it all day. I drank a shit ton though and finally felt rehydrated. I also started the saline rinse in my nose, its the best feeling I've had in a long time. I rinse close to 40 times a day, in 2 days I've gone through 4 bottles of rinse to clean out all the gunch in my nose and its awesome.

Today I woke up more sore but feeling better. I ventured downstairs for a little bit but the wife got on my nerves when she started with an attitude cause the dog was pulling when she took her for a walk. I went back upstairs and relaxed again.

I've taken less pain pill today, only 2 doses even though I"m more sore its not really pain like before, just a nagging sinus headache. I'm light sensitive so I have the curtains drawn now and I'm just relaxing.

Overall it's only been a few days and it's 100% worth it, I'd talk to them about doing a catscan and see if you have polyps and anything else and have it all done at once, its not the funnest time but for surgery this isn't bad at all.

I'll update you tomorrow when I see how I"m doing
4/18/14 5:06 PM
Slowshot

VU, and thanks!
4/18/14 5:08 PM
Moaozinho
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Lotus Club BJJ
honestus - Surgery day was alright, woke up and had a late surgery so I couldn't eat or drink till late. My surgery was at 1230 was supposed to be 2 hours.

I got in and they did the IV, then gave me an injection and wheeled me into the OR. I remember talking with them about donuts and then passed out. I woke up later in pain and really thirsty having to pee. Some nurse pulled my dick out and I peed in what I can best describe as a bottle, then they gave me another shot (fentanyl maybe?) and I was in lala land again. Woke up a while later and they let me eat crackers and I could drink some water. Immediately I could breath, it was weird, it almost hurt to have air flowing through my nose, its been so long.

I had a huge sinus headache and what I can best describe as the feeling of someone rubbing the inside of your skull with a cheese grater for the first night, but some pills helped that and I ended up going home around 10pm maybe and passing out.

I slept about 6 hours and woke up starving, I felt good yesterday, sore but nothing crazy. I just have to take it really easy all day which is annoying but possible. I spent all day just relaxing and going in an out of naps while watching netflix and getting ready to take the next round of pain meds. I got super constipated from the surgery so my stomach was messed up, I ate tomato soup and cheese its and that was it all day. I drank a shit ton though and finally felt rehydrated. I also started the saline rinse in my nose, its the best feeling I've had in a long time. I rinse close to 40 times a day, in 2 days I've gone through 4 bottles of rinse to clean out all the gunch in my nose and its awesome.

Today I woke up more sore but feeling better. I ventured downstairs for a little bit but the wife got on my nerves when she started with an attitude cause the dog was pulling when she took her for a walk. I went back upstairs and relaxed again.

I've taken less pain pill today, only 2 doses even though I"m more sore its not really pain like before, just a nagging sinus headache. I'm light sensitive so I have the curtains drawn now and I'm just relaxing.

Overall it's only been a few days and it's 100% worth it, I'd talk to them about doing a catscan and see if you have polyps and anything else and have it all done at once, its not the funnest time but for surgery this isn't bad at all.

I'll update you tomorrow when I see how I"m doing

Good post.  I've really been dreading the surgery.  With my DS, I have about 10% airflow capacity lol.  Ive just been hesitant on doing it

4/18/14 5:11 PM
dizz
545 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had my sinuses drilled open and cleaned out back in...January of 2010, I believe it was. Didn't have a deviated septum though.

Was pretty easy recovery. I was back to working out within a week and a half. Sinuses are way better today than they were back then, so definitely worth it
4/18/14 5:18 PM
honestus

No problem Slowshot, do it you'll feel much better. Mine had gotten to the point where I had no circulation and my o2 levels where low, presurgery I was an 86-87 after surgery I was a 98. I haven't been able to breath this freely in a long while, I honestly can't wait to be able to just get out and enjoy life again.

Moaozinho- its definitely worth it, even as I lay here in post surgery pain I'd do it all again even without the pain pills, its that good to be able to breath again.
4/18/14 5:30 PM
Moaozinho

So you can already tell your breathing has improved??

4/18/14 5:44 PM
honestus

yes, literally as soon as I woke up I could breath through my nose like I haven't in years, it actually hurt to have the cool air go into my nose for a while, its still a weird feeling but even with all the swelling I can breath. And I have the packing in my sinuses too so I can only imagine what it'll be like in a few more weeks.

My O2 levels improved 12-13 points post surgery too, even though I'm recovering from the surgery still I have more energy than I did before.

My sinuses were a mess, the original plan was 2 hrs for surgery it took 4 to get everything cut out. Honestly its night and day and definitely well worth it already.
4/18/14 7:08 PM
JohnnyBrabo
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I've been wanting to get this done for a long, long time. I just might have to finally look into it and go for it. Can barely breath, have trouble sleeping, nose always whistling and shit haha.

Thanks for all the info, bros.
4/18/14 7:38 PM
elpadrino
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got this done and it was no problem at all...made my cardio better.  My timeline for recovery was similiar to what you were given.

4/18/14 8:10 PM
Wes_Mantooth

Slowshot - So, after 20 years of not being able to breathe, I finally went to the ENT and she was like "yes, you have a pathetic nose that's been broken several times", which was not news to me.

She said I needed surgery to fix my severely deviated septum and shrink my turbinates.

She said I'd get the surgery wednesday, get the plastic out friday, and be 100 percent by Monday. Her words were "based on what I'm seeing in your nose, you will probably find this to be life changing"

OGers who have done this crap, have I fucked up massively by doing this, or have I made the best decision ever?

Saying you will be 100% by Monday is laughable.

I had the surgery done about 8 years ago. It is totally worth it, but the recovery sucks balls.
4/18/14 9:43 PM
pcuzz

Edited: 04/18/14 9:43 PM
Had the same type of surgery 20 years ago. I went back to work after a few days. The recovery does suck, they stuffed gauze in my nasal cavities and after about 24 hours I was sick of it and pulled it out. Fucking amazing how much gauze was in their, pulling it out was orgasmic.
4/18/14 9:45 PM
Slowshot

pcuzz - Had the same type of surgery 20 years ago. I went back to work after a few days. The recovery does suck, they stuffed gauze in my nasal cavities and after about 24 hours I was sick of it and pulled it out. Fucking amazing how much gauze was in their, pulling it out was orgasmic.

she said they don't do the gauze anymore, just a couple of plastic pieces
4/19/14 11:55 AM
honestus

Its not gauze like you'd think, there's this weird mesh up there that's laced with steroids and dissolves on its own. The gauze that they did use was just under my nose to catch all the blood and shit falling out of my nose.

Day 3 post surgery and I feel fine. I still need the pain pills but overall I feel good aside from a bad sinus headache like feeling. I'm able to move around fine but still have to take it easy not to overdo it and damage the nose. No bending over or straining myself. I bent over to lift up the toilet seat and I totally understand what they mean, worse pain I've felt in a while. It felt like icepicks in my eyes.

Outside of the sinus like headache and being very light sensitive I feel fine. I can breath great and feel better every day. My appetite is coming back and I've been able to taste food like I haven't in a long time. I ate a breakfast sandwich with turkey sausage and it was actually spicy to me, normally I love hot food but I'm very sensitive to heat now.
4/19/14 1:25 PM
cWa
337 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In. I need this. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 1:31 PM
Dan O'Connell
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ltr
4/19/14 2:21 PM
Isaac Bickerstaff
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was the best surgery I had done.  The first few days sucked ass.  I felt nauseous all the time and barfed a bucket of coagulated blood in the middle of the night.  Make sure to keep your nose irrigated according to the instructions.  The main thing that sucks is NSAID's are off the table because of bleeding so you can only take the narcotics they give you, which don't always control the pain.  

The next few months my nose felt really fragile and I was very protective of it.  It also felt raw on the inside like cold air was much more unpleasant to breath in.  Even so, when it fully healed I could finally breathe through my nose for the first time in my life and that was huge.  My nose is never so clogged I can't breathe through it now.  It actually took a long time to train myself to favor my nose again.  

4/19/14 2:43 PM
Stache
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the deviated surgery done about 20 years ago, then had it touched up again after a couple of years when my breathing difficulties returned.

Don't do it.

I could breathe perfectly for about a year then the obstruction returned, only with weakened cartilage and scar tissue that now cracks and bleeds in the winter. Very painful and annoying to deal with for a quarter of the year. Wish I never had the stupid surgery.
4/19/14 2:51 PM
Stache
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/19/14 2:51 PM
And I can still only breathe out of one nostril.
4/19/14 10:58 PM
Moaozinho

Stache - I had the deviated surgery done about 20 years ago, then had it touched up again after a couple of years when my breathing difficulties returned.

Don't do it.

I could breathe perfectly for about a year then the obstruction returned, only with weakened cartilage and scar tissue that now cracks and bleeds in the winter. Very painful and annoying to deal with for a quarter of the year. Wish I never had the stupid surgery.
I would hope that they've significantly improved the surgery over the past 20 years Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.