UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Getting nose surgery next week, TME

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

4/19/14 11:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
so cal trucker
243 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't do hot rails for 10-12 days. Phone Post 3.0
4/19/14 11:30 PM
Stache
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moaozinho - 
Stache - I had the deviated surgery done about 20 years ago, then had it touched up again after a couple of years when my breathing difficulties returned.

Don't do it.

I could breathe perfectly for about a year then the obstruction returned, only with weakened cartilage and scar tissue that now cracks and bleeds in the winter. Very painful and annoying to deal with for a quarter of the year. Wish I never had the stupid surgery.
I would hope that they've significantly improved the surgery over the past 20 years Phone Post 3.0

There's not much to improve. It's a simple surgery.

" To repair the septum, the surgeon works through the nostrils, making an incision to separate the mucosa from the underlying cartilage and bone. The doctor trims or straightens the bent cartilage and then replaces the mucosa over the cartilage and bone."

My septum is still bent, only now the cartilage is weaker so it bends more. Couple that with scar tissue and dry winters and I get cracking skin and nosebleeds. I was better off with a thicker septum and no scar tissue.
4/20/14 12:07 AM
Stache
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use a neti pot twice per day with the same ingredients. It's the only way I can breathe properly in the winter.
4/21/14 1:21 PM
honestus
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roberto Silva - Also had trimming of the turbinates removal of polyps 10 years ago.

Was very bad they had to cut lots more out than they normally would.

Pulling the packing out was gross foot after foot of it with blood pouring like a tap. Phone Post 3.0

My nose had no packing at all, it's some weird mesh stuff that holds everything open and dissolves. What exactly did you have done this time? Every time I irrigate I get a glob that looks like your pic come out of my nose or sometimes I spit it out.

I had the deviated septum repaired (septoplasty), widened the nasal cavity, polyps removed, sinuses opened (that's the mesh holding them open, its a replacement for the old balloons)

As for using the solution you mentioned, I like the saline better, I have it in a pressurized can its enough to flush without hurting the sensitive areas in my nose and it cleans everything awesome.

I literally felt better immediately and according to my Dr, usually the worse your case the faster the results. Hope you're healing up alright, I feel a million times better than before the surgery and I'm 4 days post surgery.
4/21/14 5:38 PM
Slowshot
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

honestus - 
Roberto Silva - Also had trimming of the turbinates removal of polyps 10 years ago.

Was very bad they had to cut lots more out than they normally would.

Pulling the packing out was gross foot after foot of it with blood pouring like a tap. Phone Post 3.0

My nose had no packing at all, it's some weird mesh stuff that holds everything open and dissolves. What exactly did you have done this time? Every time I irrigate I get a glob that looks like your pic come out of my nose or sometimes I spit it out.

I had the deviated septum repaired (septoplasty), widened the nasal cavity, polyps removed, sinuses opened (that's the mesh holding them open, its a replacement for the old balloons)

As for using the solution you mentioned, I like the saline better, I have it in a pressurized can its enough to flush without hurting the sensitive areas in my nose and it cleans everything awesome.

I literally felt better immediately and according to my Dr, usually the worse your case the faster the results. Hope you're healing up alright, I feel a million times better than before the surgery and I'm 4 days post surgery.

Thanks, dude. My surgery is day after tomorrow.
4/21/14 5:54 PM
RickStorm
2210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Forum Admin

Good luck slowshot!!

4/23/14 6:39 AM
Slowshot
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok, here we go!
4/23/14 5:50 PM
Slowshot

ooooooog.

So, apparently it was worse in there than she realized. I bled a lot, and there was a polyp, and a ton of swelling, so she had to do a lot of work.

Surgery took longer than expected.

Otherwise, it's about as everybody has described. I literally just got out of bed and walked around for the first time all day.

Hadn't had anything to eat/drink and was feeling VERY lightheaded. Had to lay down on the ground for a few minutes when it felt like I was gonna pass out.

Just managed to get some apple juice and a piece of pizza down and feeling much less faint.

Have changed my bandage like 3 times already. Am leaking blood and gunk like a faucet.

They told me not to sniff/sniffle, so I can't tell how open things are, but it might not be good until friday, as because there was so much blood (the surgeon apparently came out and was like "whoa, i've never seen one that bad" she had to use gauze.

Anyhow, I made it out alive, and thanks everybody for the info/etc!
4/24/14 8:17 AM
honestus
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a week and a day out and feel great, I still have the raw feeling in my nose and sinus headaches but the ability to breath again is well worth it. Glad to hear you made it out well, just listen to the Drs and you'll be happy you did this!
4/24/14 9:32 AM
Slowshot

Post Op Day 1.

I'm still bleeding/snotting, but i can get air in/out of both nostrils.

Not to the point where it's worth breathing out of my nose as opposed to my mouth, but air is moving.

Have two black eyes.
4/24/14 9:43 AM
Easytarget
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My nose is fine, but this thread is addictive. Hope you all heal up well.
4/24/14 10:00 AM
I Wild Each It
280 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had surgery for a deviated septum and it was the most painful, miserable thing that I have ever experienced in my life. I've broken both wrists at the same time before, one required 2 pins and a screw to repair. I've torn my ACL. I've rolled ankles so bad I couldn't put a shoe in because it swelled so big. Nothing compared to the deviated septum surgery. Had it done on a Friday morning, and slept most of that day. Woke up late that evening and was miserable. It felt like I had a softball stuck up both nostrils...the pressure was unbearable, and it didn't go away until they pulled the packing out Monday morning. After that, it was much better and I was completely healed a week later. But man the first three days SUCK.

Good luck OP.
4/24/14 10:30 AM
Good Sir
175 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Someone link the video where Joe Rogan explains his surgery Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 10:34 AM
teabagexpress
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HAd it twice, deviated septum, turbinatres and polyp removal.

Good thing my Dr uses the Glue instead of the gauze..

F That

Either way, lifechangers both time

Godspeed
4/24/14 10:45 AM
jake11
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

had turbinate surgery.

no sure it did a damn thing.

doctors said that is a common result so many people have it done again.

4/24/14 11:02 AM
Barbasol OOTFFTT
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mine was reconstructed when I was 15 after a baseball accident. I went 4 months only breathing from one side, felt awesome after it was done.

Removing the packing hurt like hell, worse than the baseball hitting me. I had black eyes for over a month but 25 years later it's all good Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 11:26 AM
OutTapped
680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Had that same procedure twice. You feel like crap till they pull everything out then it feels like the greatest orgasim ever. They you slowly can start breathing better. Phone Post 3.0
4/25/14 10:29 AM
Slowshot

God, just got home from the post operation appointment.

Talk about a fucking airgasm.

She pulled hte crap out, it felt SUPER weird but I couldn't breathe still.

Then she laid me down, and started pulling the gel out of my nose (she had put it in to help with my bleeding) and all of the sudden i took this GIGANTIC breath of air out of my left nostril.

Soooooo good.

Anyhow, my right nostril is still swollen from the surgery, but I can breathe awesome out of the left, and she says it'll continue to improve over the next few days.

Honestly, I would be satisfied if it didn't get any better. I could sleep like this, no problem.

I'll need to go back next week to get the last couple plastic rings (the ones keeping my septum from shifting during healing) out, and I'll need to be on a steroid nose spray for the rst of my life to keep my turbinates/polyps from regrowing, but at this point i think it's already worth it.

I'll continue to follow up for a couple of days.

Oh, yeah, still bleeding and snotting, though. Which sucks.
4/27/14 9:42 PM
honestus

hows it going now?
4/27/14 11:17 PM
Scramslam
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm seeing doc tomorrow for options on repairing my deviated septum. Please share any other good info Phone Post 3.0
4/28/14 12:28 AM
Slowshot

Bleeding has stopped. Still snotting, and not able to breathe when i lay down. When i stand/sit up, it drains a little bit and i can sort of breathe, but when i lay down on my back it clogs right up.

It's getting incrementally better day by day.

I don't get the last plastic out until Tuesday (my nose was apparently really badly fucked up, so the doctor is leaving stuff in there longer than normal).

The pain is WAY down. I haven't had a percocet in a couple of days. It's still tender to the touch, but not like it was in the immediate aftermath. I'm fine with Acetaminophen.

Also look much better/less swolen.

We'll see how i'm doing Tuesday night once everything is out.

Hopefully I'll be able to breathe when I sleep, b/c i'm still mouthbreathing when i sleep now, and that sucks because my tongue gets dried out
4/28/14 1:06 AM
Yamie Jagerbomb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For those that have had the surgery done:

When u have a stuffy nose now, is that what your nose used to feel like presurgery? If so, the same or what percentage?
4/28/14 9:12 PM
Slowshot

Right now it's shittier.

I'll tell you more after i get my shit pulled out tomorrow.
4/28/14 11:01 PM
OutTapped
680 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Slowshot - Right now it's shittier.

I have giant plastic wings shoved up my nose. Can't really explain what they were. They pulled them out and i couldn't believe that was shoved in my nose. Once those get pulled out it will be like breathing with the world's strongest breathe right strip. It's amazing. Phone Post 3.0
4/28/14 11:18 PM
Slowshot

OutTapped - 
Slowshot - Right now it's shittier.

I have giant plastic wings shoved up my nose. Can't really explain what they were. They pulled them out and i couldn't believe that was shoved in my nose. Once those get pulled out it will be like breathing with the world's strongest breathe right strip. It's amazing. Phone Post 3.0

Well, they already pulled the gigantic wings out, but my nose was so shitty that they decided to leave other plastic stuff still in there until tomorrow.

According to my doctor, I pretty much had the shittiest nose in the history of noses.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.