UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jones: 'No interest' in fighting Cain Velasquez

4/21/14 4:53 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

During a media conference call ahead of this weekend's UFC 172: Jones vs. Teixeira, UFC light heavyweight Jon Jones said said he was no longer entertaining the idea of a superfight with UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez. 

Jones had previously described a move to heavyweight as being inevitable, citing 2014 as the year. 

"I have no interest at this point," said Jones as transcribed by Bleacher Report. "There’s a lot of talent to test myself against."

That talent includes Teixeira, Alexander Gustafsson who fights the winner Saturday, Olympian Daniel Cormier, and Phil Davis.

"People are interested in rematch [with Gustafsson]," said Jones. "Phil Davis said he’s going to crumble me like a cookie. There’s a lot of challenges, and I’m ready to meet them."

During the call Jones and Davis got into it. 

J“I’m not giving up on you, Phil,” Jones offered after Davis’ initial volley.

“I’m not going to give up you either, sweetheart,” Davis retorted.

Phil Davis: "Whatever Glover does to him…I’ll clean up whatever’s left."

Jon Jones: "Not nice, Phil."

Phil Davis: "You're welcome."

Jon Jones: "I didn't say thanks."

Phil Davis: “We all saw you were scared (vs. Gustafsson). What have you done to overcome your scared-ness? Did you get a nightlight? Do you sleep with a teddy bear now? What did you do?

Jones Jones: “I actually do sleep with a teddy. I do sleep with a teddy, Phil. Does that answer your question?”

Phil Davis: "“The last time you said you could handle somebody in the striking department, Alex hit you so many times in the right eye, you almost turned into a pirate. How are you so sure you can be better than Glover standing up, because let me tell you, I’ve seen Glover before, and what are you going to do?”

Jon Jones: “I have nothing to prove fighting a guy like Phil. I’ve already proven myself against a lot of amazing martial artists, and I think if anything, Phil is kind of embarrassing himself with all the antics. But it’s what he’s deciding to do today. I am a champion, and I fight the top dogs, and my whole career has been in the fast lane. I’m not going to sit here and belittle myself by entertaining Phil.

“At first, I thought it was funny, but it’s just silly. I’m fighting Glover, and he’s fighting Anthony Johnson. I need to stay focused on Glover, because Glover is a great challenge to me. I just think when you talk like that and you be so goofy, it puts more pressure on you.

“I mean, what if he goes out there and gets caught with one of those high kicks from Anthony and gets knocked out? It’s going to be really embarrassing talking so much trash to me and getting knocked out by Anthony. So I’m going to keep my mouth shut and stay focused on what I’m here for, and that’s Glover.”

4/21/14 5:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gokudamus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wonder if this had anything to do with werdum handling his buddy travis, who I understand he spars with pretty often

4/21/14 5:06 PM
MushroomHead
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe the interviews where Jones is calling people out just aren't making headlines, but Jones doesn't seem to have much interest in fighting anyone lately. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 5:12 PM
Wisdom100

"I have no interest at this point," said Jones

well ofcourse he will say that, the guy have a line of killers in front of him already lined up by the fans, media and the ufc.. Glover, Gus and DC! his hands are full for now. 

ppl who say his ducking him are not using logic. 

4/21/14 5:13 PM
DanHendersonsDentures
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - Maybe the interviews where Jones is calling people out just aren't making headlines, but Jones doesn't seem to have much interest in fighting anyone lately. Phone Post 3.0

"People are interested in rematch [with Gustafsson]," said Jones. "Phil Davis said he’s going to crumble me like a cookie. There’s a lot of challenges, and I’m ready to meet them."

Idn about you but that to me sounds like he is interested in fights with a couple people.
4/21/14 5:13 PM
Kings21
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MushroomHead - Maybe the interviews where Jones is calling people out just aren't making headlines, but Jones doesn't seem to have much interest in fighting anyone lately. Phone Post 3.0

Except where he says that he has challenges and is ready to meet them. Try again.
4/21/14 5:15 PM
Labrador
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair, he seems pretty interested in Gustafsson fighting Texiera.

Oh, sorry, got dyslexic there for a second.
4/21/14 5:46 PM
Glovegate

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2313453/Jones-says-he-has-no-interest-in-fighting-Cain/?pc=31

Already a thread.
4/21/14 5:52 PM
Kirik
1745 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The UnderGround, Mayor
Glovegate - http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2313453/Jones-says-he-has-no-interest-in-fighting-Cain/?pc=31

Already a thread.

That thread has a single tweet on it, This thread has the quotes, the context, and the actual interview if you want to hear it yourself.

And it has Davis saying Gustafsson made Jones look like a pirate, which alone is worth the price of admission.

Is there anyone besides Glovegate that thinks this is duplication?
4/21/14 5:55 PM
UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kirik - 
Glovegate - http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/thread/2313453/Jones-says-he-has-no-interest-in-fighting-Cain/?pc=31

Already a thread.

That thread has a single tweet on it, This thread has the quotes, the context, and the actual interview if you want to hear it yourself.

And it has Davis saying Gustafsson made Jones look like a pirate, which alone is worth the price of admission.

I hear your argument for it not being a direct duplication and counter with "is there any reason the information you're describing couldn't have been added to the original thread?"

4/21/14 6:01 PM
RyannVonDoom

UGCTT_THE Kevin Chandler -
Kirik - 

Already a thread.

I hear your argument for it not being a direct duplication and counter with "is there any reason the information you're describing couldn't have been added to the original thread?"

. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 6:02 PM
kyleburkle

Its hard to be a star Anderson Silva only sold late in his career after Sonnen.

No super talented guys in any division. No really scary people that are the top guys."Mike Tyson Effect"

No long unbeaten streaks where someone looks unbeatable. Pay is more like a minor league for most fighters

and its not bringing the talent.  Talent is still going to ball sports and boxing first. No great white hype.

There used to be Hughes, Franklin, Liddell, all guys everyone wanted to see.  The lightweights and women are completely boring everyone to death. People would be more interested if one of the womens shorts fell down rather than watch them fight.

4/21/14 8:32 PM
rebel927

"No great white hope?"

The LW champion is white.
The WW champion is white.
The HW champion is white.

What more do you want???
4/21/14 8:41 PM
TFK_BOZY
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't want to Box the Klitchko Bros, Doesn't want to fight Cain now? I think that Gus fight took alot out if Bones. Props to him for overcoming and winning the fight. But that war definitely took its toll. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:29 PM
Steepslider

JJ's mouth, stupid antics, poor handling of issues, lack of respect, self-congratulatory posturing and general immaturity is why, imho, he's sooo annoying.

He needs to lose and lose very badly. JJ needs his humility button reset. He needs to turn into a man and leave the annoying whiny idiot behind. We'll forgive his youth and flaws but he needs to get on with it.

JJ must lose to become better.
4/21/14 10:47 PM
UGCTT_Nightkap
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rebel927 - "No great white hope?"

What more do you want???
Dont forget the MW champ also.. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 9:28 AM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't really blame Davis for shit talking, I mean BLAF did just come out and say even though Davis is doing great and has a great record, he's not calling out enough fighters to prove he's champion material lol (paraphrasing obviously)

4/22/14 9:31 AM
MattyECB
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_Nightkap - 

What more do you want???

The only thing sadder than an asshole who takes a fighter's nationality too seriously, is an asshole who takes a fighter's skin color too seriously lol

Hughes was awesome as a fighter and a legend and a pioneer,but if you've read McCorkle's book summary and seen his TUF coaching stint, than you're probably either a jesus freak or a racist if you're rooting for him over another black WW lol

Obvs jking, but the point I'm getting at is I can find a lot better reasons to like or dislike a fighter than his fucking skin color lol But ya, not attacking either of you, I know you're just responding to that retarded comment

4/22/14 9:39 AM
MattyECB

Sooo, surprisingly enough GSP never wanted to move up and fight AS.

Surprisingly enough, AS never wanted to move up and fight Jones.

Surprisingly enough, Jones doesn't want to move up and fight Cain...

It's almost like you'd have to be a retard to call any of these fighters ducking over not wanting to move up in weight, since all fucking 3 of them didn't want to do it lol And yes, I know AS went up and fought a former title holder, but for Christ's sake look at Forrest's striking and style lol 

Can't really blame Jones here, he just looks a bit silly since he was so sure he had emptied out the LH division, which he more or less did in all fairness, but he realizes now how mortal he can be. Thank God for Cormier and Gusty. 

I can't beleive the classic Crown Jewel of UFC and MMA had fallen into such shambles. I mean Jones deserves all the credit for kicking everyone's ass, but the LH division seemed so mediocre following the influx of Pride fighters. All these dudes who should've come in as straight killers, just petered out and started fighting incredibly mediocre, Shogun, Wanderlei, Rampage (quickly turned into a one dimensional counter-punching head hunter like old Tyson or old Hendo)...etc, and as much as I love Forrest for his pluckiness and ability to win no matter what, he did have incredibly basic striking, and just good BJJ and wrestling. I'll always think of  him as winning from pure heart, not so much physical or skillful assets lol

Jones would've beaten Shogun no matter what imo, but I don't think it's a coincidence that he had his 4th reconstructive knee surgery right before the fight, and since then has been the type of fighter to float Vera for 5 rounds, and regularly gas in the first fucking round (hell he gassed within a minute against a 1000yo Coleman lol) The fact that they had to bump up Vitor and give Chael a freebie title shot tells you how cleaned out that division was, but finally we get some new blood. 

4/22/14 9:47 AM
Chadderz
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have to be a bit of a psycho to want to fight Cain. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 10:09 AM
rebel927

UGCTT_Nightkap - 

What more do you want???

I did forget MW, my mind still thinks Anderson.

And as another poster pointed out, I'm just responding to a moron, I don't care about a champs skin color.
4/22/14 10:47 AM
Zeph
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9 year old little girls have better trash talk than than those two..
4/22/14 11:00 AM
SQUEEZIE

rebel927 - "No great white hope?"

What more do you want???

huh? the lw and hw champs?

one is mexican american and the other is puerto rican and mexican american.

4/22/14 11:46 AM
Letibleu
1662 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/22/14 11:47 AM

I like the front page headline, it really hits home that Jones is hounded by Davis. Hounded by Davis.

4/22/14 11:49 AM
ABE FROMAN
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/22/14 11:49 AM

Jones hounded by the Hound

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.