UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Chromecast tme

4/21/14 10:18 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GS27
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's only $39. Anyone have it? Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:19 PM
Steve Perry
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes
4/21/14 10:24 PM
The Donkeypuncher
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have 2.  It's fucking awesome if you have the content needed for it.  So I have Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and a Plex account.  I use them every day.  Super easy setup and I've been using the Plex interface a ton lately streaming my movies from my laptop to the CC. 

4/21/14 10:25 PM
6 Late Hammerfists
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have it, but hbo go canada isn't set up for chromecast. Brutal. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:26 PM
reagan123
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

S Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:30 PM
GS27
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've heard that we don't get all the content in Canada, any way around that? Buying an American one? Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:30 PM
AG_bull
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:36 PM
OutTapped
578 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Donkeypuncher -

I have 2.  It's fucking awesome if you have the content needed for it.  So I have Netflix, Hulu Plus, HBO Go, and a Plex account.  I use them every day.  Super easy setup and I've been using the Plex interface a ton lately streaming my movies from my laptop to the CC. 

Explain this plex. Is it free? Also say I know someone with a vast library of movies that were downloaded and on a laptop in different formats. With plex and chrome cast can I stream them to my tv? Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:38 PM
joesonshuevos
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I almost pulled the trigger on 1. I mistakenly thought it would put whatever was on my tablet or smartphone to my hd tv. Is there anything that does that ?
4/21/14 10:56 PM
jcblass
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/21/14 10:56 PM
I personally don't care for it and wish I got Roku. There was a week when I changed cable companies and would not have cable, so I picked one up expecting it to be one self-contained USB with all the information built into the hardware and the various "channels" and apps show up on the TV screen.

Well its not like that at all, it is all predicated on your smart phone. You don't see anything on the TV screen, but rather you have to look at the screen on your phone. This is a pain in the ass if there is more than one person and you are trying to figure out what to watch on Netflix....

Both of you are huddled over the tiny cell phone screen trying to look at Netflix. It is also very cumbersome and requires its own power source and depending on your TV there is this other adapter you have to use. Basically you have shit wires all over your TV rather than a clean USB stick, as the packaging leads you to believe.
4/21/14 10:58 PM
OutTapped
578 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

joesonshuevos - I almost pulled the trigger on 1. I mistakenly thought it would put whatever was on my tablet or smartphone to my hd tv. Is there anything that does that ?
That's what I am looking for. Wondering if this plex thing will make it do what we want. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 10:59 PM
Lux Fixxins
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rip off. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 11:04 PM
Mike PyleDriver
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fuck all those paid video streaming services. To truly enjoy Chromecast you need to have an android phone and download showbox. From there you download local cast and you can stream any movie or show you want for FREE, yes you heard me FREE
I love my Chromecast, best 35 dollars I ever spent Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 11:28 PM
OutTapped

There is no show box in the play store. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 11:29 PM
CrAzYiBe
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 11:44 PM
pbody
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have one and love it. Plex plays anything that I downloaded. The YouTube app works great as well. The only other thing I really use it with is Google music.

Everything runs flawlessly. I haven't experienced any issues.

American stuff can be accessed easily in Canada if you cast a tab from the Chrome browser on your laptop or desktop, as long as you're using a proxy extension like Hola. I've tried it with Netflix and Pandora, and it worked really well. This will also let you access UK stuff, like the BBC iPlayer. Phone Post 3.0
4/21/14 11:51 PM
Juggernautt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 12:05 AM
Mike PyleDriver

OutTapped - There is no show box in the play store. Phone Post 3.0
Download it from here:
http://media-apps.cc/android/ Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 12:06 AM
LookAtThose1s
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd go with the Roku instead, but from what I understand, Plex works just fine with a phone and Chromecast. I like the idea of having a remote and there's tons of free content on the Roku as well. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 12:09 AM
ieswideopen

Much better options out there. Get an android mini pc, xbmc and you'll never dig into your own pocket to watch anything ever again. Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 12:21 AM
The Donkeypuncher
611 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OutTapped - 
The Donkeypuncher -

Explain this plex. Is it free? Also say I know someone with a vast library of movies that were downloaded and on a laptop in different formats. With plex and chrome cast can I stream them to my tv? Phone Post 3.0

Plex is a client you install on your computer.  You tell it where to look for files and it gives you access to those files.  So I've got terabytes of movies on my laptop and external hard drive.  I can connect to those files on my laptop remotely via a web broswer, or from my iphone or ipad.  And now that Plex has been enabled on Chromecast I just cast those videos to the unit.  Go to http://www.plex.tv , it'll give you a rundown.  Most of the functionality is completely free.  They do have a premium service, but I find that stuff isn't really needed at all. 

Try it, I love it.

4/22/14 12:35 AM
tenchu

I downloaded Plex Media Server on my Vista desktop, but when I try launching it it perpetually loads - I get that circular loading graphic in the center of the screen. Frig!
4/22/14 12:41 AM
OutTapped

The Donkeypuncher -
OutTapped - 
The Donkeypuncher -

Plex is a client you install on your computer.  You tell it where to look for files and it gives you access to those files.  So I've got terabytes of movies on my laptop and external hard drive.  I can connect to those files on my laptop remotely via a web broswer, or from my iphone or ipad.  And now that Plex has been enabled on Chromecast I just cast those videos to the unit.  Go to http://www.plex.tv , it'll give you a rundown.  Most of the functionality is completely free.  They do have a premium service, but I find that stuff isn't really needed at all. 

Try it, I love it.

So for $35 for a chrome cast and plex which is free and can take anything from my computer and put it on my tv? Are there any limitations that you know of or things you've found font work? Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 12:48 AM
fasterRN
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike PyleDriver - Fuck all those paid video streaming services. To truly enjoy Chromecast you need to have an android phone and download showbox. From there you download local cast and you can stream any movie or show you want for FREE, yes you heard me FREE
I love my Chromecast, best 35 dollars I ever spent Phone Post 3.0
Very nice. VU Phone Post 3.0
4/22/14 1:35 AM
The Donkeypuncher

OutTapped -
The Donkeypuncher -
OutTapped - 
The Donkeypuncher -

Try it, I love it.

So for $35 for a chrome cast and plex which is free and can take anything from my computer and put it on my tv? Are there any limitations that you know of or things you've found font work? Phone Post 3.0
You got it. It plays every file format I've thrown at it. Mkv, mp4, MPEG, avi, flv, and so on. And it has a function where you can as your friends and play from their library and vice versa. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.