UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Appalling strength & cond. routines of fighters

4/23/14 10:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiggum
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sakurabasHeadBeatAronasKnee - 
BernardHopkins -

i just wonder why boxers can routinely fight 12 rounds and appear to have gas left

while top MMA contenders cant even make it 1, 5min round without breaking down

plenty of fighters gas out bad even in standup wars, so you cant really say its because mma has wrestling and clinch etc..

IMO a lot of mma fighters are very lazy and are nowhere near an elite professional athlete, even if they are top 10-20 in the ufc.

Pahaha 3/10
Definitely nothin mg to do with energy systems Phone Post 3.0

They weren't boxing. They were having a standup MMA fight. Two very different things.

Lupo is right about a key point: most conditioning comes in drilling and sparring.
4/23/14 10:07 PM
MattyECB
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian McLaughlin - BJ had Marinovich who was supposed to be amazing Phone Post 3.0

He's a psycopath and piece of shit, but he was also an olympian trainer. Guess that's nowhere near as good as an NFL trainer for OP tho lol

4/23/14 10:10 PM
Damage360
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP references old ufc count-downs. Most of the S&C training these days outside of the 4 core aspects of the sport focuses on short power and speed sessions. Roadwork is old news IMHO
4/24/14 6:10 AM
Bobby Lupo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roadwork isn't old news. Roadwork is essential for in ring mental and physical stamina. You don't need to sprint with a fucking snokrle altitude mask on your face and a parachute on your back to get fit to fight...even if they're a sponsor.

4/24/14 6:52 AM
ABE FROMAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I came to the thread to find out more about underwater BJs. Phone Post
4/24/14 6:58 AM
Bobby Lupo
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ABE FROMAN -  I came to the thread to find out more about underwater BJs. Phone Post

. Looks cool on camera, not functional.

4/24/14 9:36 AM
eljamaiquino
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Denis Kelly -

I think that some of the crazy S & C stuff you are referring too may have been set up to make the UFC countdown show's more interesting & provide variety rather than just showing everyone grappling, hitting pads etc.

I also have another controversial theory that within a few years additional strength & conditioning training will be virtually non existant in MMA. I think most of the knee injuries, shoulder injuries, back injuries etc, are caused by the extra weight training that fighters do. In the future managers & fighters will recognise that it doesn't make sense to spend 6 years of your 10 year fighting career either awaiting surgery or recovering from surgery & will focus their time instead on skill development (Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai)

Most of the injuries aren't from standard weight training. They're from cross fit type training or mma training while in an exhausted state. Phone Post 3.0
4/24/14 10:48 AM
Pablo Duke
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BernardHopkins -
Bry Bry - id like to know more about Bjs underwater rock lifting..i had never heard about this..

brah, do you even 2001?

It's a big wave surfer exercise to build lung capacity and strength. Big anaerobic work right there.
It also gives a big mental advantage in training you to remain calm in situations when most would panic. Which helps you breath calmly and efficiently during highly taxing moments... Like in a fight.

Ees ok. Ees normal. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.