UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Unless you have Celiac disease, STFU about gluten

4/23/14 4:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The People's Knee
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Vienna, VA

The recent gluten-free diet fad is just another in a long line of silly diet fads. Your so -called "nutritionist" doesn't know WTF he/she is talking about. "Paleo!!!"

Read this:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/is-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-for-real

It summarizes the following study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

"In a placebo-controlled, cross-over rechallenge study, we found no evidence of specific or dose-dependent effects of gluten in patients with NCGS placed diets low in FODMAPs."

Boom.

4/23/14 4:15 PM
The People's Knee
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/23/14 4:19 PM
Black Belt, Vienna, VA

"But a gluten free diet will help me lose weight and is just a healthier diet in general!" - Morons

Where is your gluten-free god now?

http://www.andjrnl.org/article/S2212-2672(12)00743-5/fulltext

"Despite numerous health claims and the exploding popularity of gluten-free products, there are no published data to support a weight loss claim for a gluten-free diet.3 Results of several studies of patients with celiac disease suggest that a gluten-free diet may actually worsen BMI status in some overweight and obese individuals. Gluten-free baked goods can be high in fat and total energy.9 Moreover, whole-grain intake is inversely associated with BMI, and wheat is the most widely consumed grain in America. Thus, going gluten-free for purposes of weight loss may have unintended consequences. Randomized-control trials are necessary to establish the effect of a gluten-free diet on weight loss in overweight or obese individuals for whom a gluten-free diet is not medically indicated.

Gluten-rich grains, especially wheat, may have health benefits attributable to naturally occurring fructan-type resistant starches as well as gluten itself. By creating a healthy composition of colon bacteria, whole-grain wheat products may protect the gut from some cancers, inflammatory conditions, and cardiovascular disease. Gluten, and one of its component proteins gliadin, may contribute to blood pressure control and immune function. Because wheat is the main source of gluten in the American diet,2930 these studies may help explain the consistent findings of health benefits of whole-grain consumption.25264344

There is no evidence to suggest that following a gluten-free diet has any significant benefits in the general population. Indeed, there is some evidence to suggest that a gluten-free diet may adversely affect gut health in those without celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.31 Additional research is needed to clarify the health effects of gluten, and potential consequences of avoiding gluten-containing grains."

4/23/14 4:21 PM
PatK
210 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know about a dozen people claiming they have some kind of gluten intolerance.

Only one of them has been told so by a doctor

4/23/14 4:22 PM
allforroy
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love gluten. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:23 PM
Granpa
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My doctor told me I might be allergic to gluten. Turns out I'm not. Turns out I'm allergic to the shitty medicine he prescribed me that was tearing up my stomach.
4/23/14 4:24 PM
The People's Knee

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
PatK - 

I know about a dozen people claiming they have some kind of gluten intolerance.

Only one of them has been told so by a doctor

Probably the same people who contend:

"Our bodies haven't evolved enough to digest all the wheat we eat so we should all go paleo!"

Al Cappucino
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

allforroy - I love gluten. Phone Post 3.0

I bathe in it
TryhardNobody
372 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah ima read all that real soon

AngryFoamy
140 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

porra in 3, 2, 1.....

4/23/14 4:25 PM
garythekid
813 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Al Cappucino -

I bathe in it
Use it as lube myself Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:25 PM
BadDog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glutens are delicious! Have you tried the new Gluten Berry Crunch cereal? So good...
4/23/14 4:27 PM
Brockback Mountain

I love gluten but i absolutely feel better when i dont eat any gluten.

Healthier skin, loser feeling joints, weight loss is easier, poops are no wipers, etc...
4/23/14 4:27 PM
sawdusk
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a glutton for gluten..
4/23/14 4:29 PM
Mike Adrian
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have noticed when I eat gluten after not eating any after a month that my hands swell a lot Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:29 PM
neonbelly
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you! It's one of those "where are the bodies" things.
4/23/14 4:31 PM
ClevelandCursed
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wife got diagnosed with Celiac about 2 months back. It's been hell on our grocery budget trying to keep enough food stocked for her and the rest of us.

As soon as people found out she had to go gluten free tons of her friends/family started saying they were going to do it too because of the health benefits etc. etc. Pissed her right off because she in no way WANTS to be gluten free, these people are just fad dieting asshats.
4/23/14 4:33 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brockback Mountain - I love gluten but i absolutely feel better when i dont eat any gluten.

Healthier skin, loser feeling joints, weight loss is easier, poops are no wipers, etc...
Placebo Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:34 PM
jcblass

They are doing something to the bread today that they didn't do 5 or 10 years ago. I swear by that. If I eat a sub, or a bread heavy sandwich, I literally feel like I am going to die. Bloated and fat.

Something is off with bread and when I eat meals that don't have any of it in it, I instantly feel better.
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PALEO IS FUCKING NONSENSE Phone Post 3.0
BadDog

ClevelandCursed - Wife got diagnosed with Celiac about 2 months back. It's been hell on our grocery budget trying to keep enough food stocked for her and the rest of us.

As soon as people found out she had to go gluten free tons of her friends/family started saying they were going to do it too because of the health benefits etc. etc. Pissed her right off because she in no way WANTS to be gluten free, these people are just fad dieting asshats.

Don't let her know that jizz is loaded with gluten. :-(
4/23/14 4:35 PM
Dan Covel
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, NY, NY
im with TPK on this one.
4/23/14 4:35 PM
BadDog

demandango - 
Brockback Mountain - I love gluten but i absolutely feel better when i dont eat any gluten.

Placebo Phone Post 3.0

He said he's not eating placebos either.
4/23/14 4:36 PM
rls99

Apparently, someone didn't bother to read the entire abstract. While they were unable to reveal "gluten-specific" effects, the patients symptoms all improved with a gluten-free diet. It could mean that it is all in the patient's heads, or, perhaps they need a new biomarker.

4/23/14 4:38 PM
dogfb
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

demandango - 

Placebo Phone Post 3.0

If it works, it works. Even if it's just a placebo.

Why judge people for trying to be healthier?

4/23/14 4:42 PM
The People's Knee

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
rls99 - Apparently, someone didn't bother to read the entire abstract. While they were unable to reveal "gluten-specific" effects, the patients symptoms all improved with a gluten-free diet. It could mean that it is all in the patient's heads, or, perhaps they need a new biomarker.

Apparently you were the one who failed to read it:

"During the 3-day rechallenge, participants' symptoms increased by similar levels among groups. Gluten-specific gastrointestinal effects were not reproduced."

This was specifically discussed in the original article:

They repeated the study a few weeks later, using the same subjects. The overall results were similar: the same percentage of people responded poorly to each of the interventions. But interestingly, many of the people who had responded poorly to gluten the first time had no trouble with gluten the second time. Instead, they either had no increase in symptoms or they had an increase in symptoms to whey protein or to the placebo.

What does this tell us? Well, I guess it tells us that people with IBS have very sensitive tummies. But it also suggests that for most of them, gluten is not a unique or reliable trigger. When they crunched all the numbers, the researchers concluded that actual gluten sensitivity (defined as a unique and reproducible response to gluten) was present in fewer than 10% of people who described themselves as sensitive to gluten.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.