UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> Unless you have Celiac disease, STFU about gluten

4/23/14 4:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TryhardNobody
366 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jcblass - They are doing something to the bread today that they didn't do 5 or 10 years ago. I swear by that. If I eat a sub, or a bread heavy sandwich, I literally feel like I am going to die. Bloated and fat.

Something is off with bread and when I eat meals that don't have any of it in it, I instantly feel better.

"I cant eat bread"

Positive Energy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gluten containing foods are generally high calorie and low nutritional density which is one reason why many people feel better and lose weight by cutting them out.

Whether you think you are gluten sensitive or not, it doesn't change the fact that most breads and pastas are shitty foods that provide way too many carbs for a typical fat-assed office worker to ever burn off. If you trane hard then such foods can provide the necessary fuel but most people will be better off without them. Phone Post 3.0
porra
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AngryFoamy -

porra in 3, 2, 1.....

Autoimmune disorders are complicated...and there may be some grey areas in between the back and white world of a true celiac and someone without it.

That said...those "grey area" individuals are more than likely still going to show some positive antibodies on blood tests...and there aren't any good studies to show that those individuals with positive antibodies, who are not yet true celiacs, will benefit from avoiding gluten.

In the future we may be able to predict who will and who won't develop Celiac's disease...and maybe even prevent it. But the fact remains that it's a low percentage of our population either way.

In summation...most people who yap about gluten free diets are idiots.

-Porra RD, LDN, CDE Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:45 PM
CAT DAMMIT
363 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JOE ROGAN WOULD DISAGREE! GLUTEN FREE PASTA! FTW! Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 4:45 PM
LittleJoeMama
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My last girlfriend was one of these people and so is my current girlfriend. FML.
4/23/14 4:51 PM
FaceToFace
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haters gunna hate I guess. I have Celiac disease and the 'fad' has helped make it much easier to live with so I give ZERO fucks...as should everyone else.
4/23/14 4:52 PM
The People's Knee
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
porra - 
AngryFoamy -

porra in 3, 2, 1.....

Autoimmune disorders are complicated...and there may be some grey areas in between the back and white world of a true celiac and someone without it.

That said...those "grey area" individuals are more than likely still going to show some positive antibodies on blood tests...and there aren't any good studies to show that those individuals with positive antibodies, who are not yet true celiacs, will benefit from avoiding gluten.

In the future we may be able to predict who will and who won't develop Celiac's disease...and maybe even prevent it. But the fact remains that it's a low percentage of our population either way.

In summation...most people who yap about gluten free diets are idiots.

-Porra RD, LDN, CDE Phone Post 3.0

It's always nice when an actual expert in the field supports my google - based opinion.

4/23/14 4:53 PM
The People's Knee
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
FaceToFace - Haters gunna hate I guess. I have Celiac disease and the 'fad' has helped make it much easier to live with so I give ZERO fucks...as should everyone else.

Please re-read the thread title Captain Sensitive

4/23/14 4:55 PM
rls99

The People's Knee - 
rls99 - Apparently, someone didn't bother to read the entire abstract. While they were unable to reveal "gluten-specific" effects, the patients symptoms all improved with a gluten-free diet. It could mean that it is all in the patient's heads, or, perhaps they need a new biomarker.

Apparently you were the one who failed to read it:

"During the 3-day rechallenge, participants' symptoms increased by similar levels among groups. Gluten-specific gastrointestinal effects were not reproduced."

This was specifically discussed in the original article:

They repeated the study a few weeks later, using the same subjects. The overall results were similar: the same percentage of people responded poorly to each of the interventions. But interestingly, many of the people who had responded poorly to gluten the first time had no trouble with gluten the second time. Instead, they either had no increase in symptoms or they had an increase in symptoms to whey protein or to the placebo.

What does this tell us? Well, I guess it tells us that people with IBS have very sensitive tummies. But it also suggests that for most of them, gluten is not a unique or reliable trigger. When they crunched all the numbers, the researchers concluded that actual gluten sensitivity (defined as a unique and reproducible response to gluten) was present in fewer than 10% of people who described themselves as sensitive to gluten.  

I stand corrected. Crap!
4/23/14 4:56 PM
The Drizzle

This Thread = What the Problem with society is.
4/23/14 4:57 PM
Tomato Can
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TPK dropping truth bombs.

Non-celiac gluten intolerance = junk science + hypochondria
4/23/14 4:58 PM
FaceToFace
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The People's Knee - 
FaceToFace - Haters gunna hate I guess. I have Celiac disease and the 'fad' has helped make it much easier to live with so I give ZERO fucks...as should everyone else.

That is what I was addressing. I don't want them to STFU because then I won't get to eat my tasty GF substitutes that have come about because of the trend.
4/23/14 5:02 PM
The People's Knee

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
FaceToFace - 
The People's Knee - 

That is what I was addressing. I don't want them to STFU because then I won't get to eat my tasty GF substitutes that have come about because of the trend.

Ahh. Well, I can see your point. You now enjoy a wider variety of dietary choices thanks to the marketing directed at all the nitwits so I agree that is a good thing from your perspective.

4/23/14 5:04 PM
KG1010
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have celiac. I eat gluten free. When i started the diet i put on about 20lbs because my body can acually get the nutrients it needs now. Its def not a wieght loss diet. Those ppl are fools. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:04 PM
bigconk74fe

I think the main problem with people's diets is inconsistency, much like a dog when you switch their food, their system is screwed up for a while. With people we rarely eat the same food more than 2 days in a row, and I believe that is what our bodies need and also why many diets work if you stick with them. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:07 PM
MDF tm
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know a lot of fat asses that are suddenly gluten free recently and only eat gluten free. I was at this fatties house and showed me their gluten free box of cookies with the giant words "glute free" on the box and they were going on about how they can't eat that shit. :/ no vegetables to be found but lots of boxes containing the words "gluten free" and "no trans fat" Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:10 PM
AWdub

The Drizzle - This Thread = What the Problem with society is.
This. Some idiot who has a totally uneducated opinion posts something which he has zero understanding of. Science isn't even close to perfect either. I am not celiac but I am sensitive to gluten. Believe what you will but as someone with actual experience and not some ass clown opinion, it is totally real. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:12 PM
sadic1
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jcblass - They are doing something to the bread today that they didn't do 5 or 10 years ago. I swear by that. If I eat a sub, or a bread heavy sandwich, I literally feel like I am going to die. Bloated and fat.

Something is off with bread and when I eat meals that don't have any of it in it, I instantly feel better.

I think what a lot of people attribute to the negative effects of gluten are actually the negative effects of flour in general. There is some interesting stuff out there explaining how intensely genetically modified flour is and how differently it effects peoples' bodies nowadays as compared to not too many years ago. Since gluten is in a lot of things made with flour, it would seem to be an easy misinterpretation to make, but in general, the more I avoid flour, the better I feel and the better my metabolism works.
4/23/14 5:22 PM
The People's Knee

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
AWdub - 
The Drizzle - This Thread = What the Problem with society is.
This. Some idiot who has a totally uneducated opinion posts something which he has zero understanding of. Science isn't even close to perfect either. I am not celiac but I am sensitive to gluten. Believe what you will but as someone with actual experience and not some ass clown opinion, it is totally real. Phone Post 3.0

In reality, you're probably not sensitive to gluten. Chances are, it's fermentable oligo-, di-, and mono-saccharides and polyols (FODMAP). Perhaps you should read the article and learn something and then you'll be thanking the idiot with the "totaly uneduacted opinion" and we'll see which of us has zero understanding.

This thread = science.

science = good

4/23/14 5:23 PM
Zilla2000

Both my children have a clinically diagnosed allergy to gluten. They are also allergic to soy and dairy. We have been on a gluten free, soy free, dairy free diet for over a year and their symptoms have almost completely vanished. They are also taking specialized allergy drops to help their body cope with the allergies and build a tolerance to them.

The odd thing is their symptoms look almost exctly just like hay fever/grass allergies. Lots of sneezing and drainage that developes into lung/sinus infections. There is some stomach discomfort but it mostly looks like traditional environmental allergies. They have been allergy tested three different times to confirm the intolerances and they tested very low to grass/pollen/ect.
4/23/14 5:25 PM
T-Ham
267 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat girls assholes....

On gluten Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:25 PM
jacktripper

jcblass - They are doing something to the bread today that they didn't do 5 or 10 years ago. I swear by that. If I eat a sub, or a bread heavy sandwich, I literally feel like I am going to die. Bloated and fat.

First world problem Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:32 PM
The People's Knee

Black Belt, Vienna, VA

I will not be intimidated or silenced by the Industrial Anti-Gluten Complex. 

4/23/14 5:37 PM
MushroomHead
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man... you must have an amazing life if you woke up today and decided "anti gluten free" really needed to be a priority in your life. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 5:41 PM
123Dominate
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My mom has celiac disease and she finds people who cut gluten out for diet reasons retarded. If she could eat regular bread, cake or even doughnuts she would Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.