Black Belt, Lotus Club BJJ

ttt

4/23/14 6:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sadic1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pbody - 
sadic1 -
jcblass - They are doing something to the bread today that they didn't do 5 or 10 years ago. I swear by that. If I eat a sub, or a bread heavy sandwich, I literally feel like I am going to die. Bloated and fat.

Something is off with bread and when I eat meals that don't have any of it in it, I instantly feel better.

I think what a lot of people attribute to the negative effects of gluten are actually the negative effects of flour in general. There is some interesting stuff out there explaining how intensely genetically modified flour is and how differently it effects peoples' bodies nowadays as compared to not too many years ago. Since gluten is in a lot of things made with flour, it would seem to be an easy misinterpretation to make, but in general, the more I avoid flour, the better I feel and the better my metabolism works.
There is no flour currently being used that is produced from genetically modified wheat. GM wheat is still a long way from commercialization. Phone Post 3.0

I think the argument I have heard, and I am NOT an expert on any of this, is that wheat is actually one of the earliest examples of ham-fisted genetic modification, or cross breeding, or whatever is the most accurate term to use. Is it possible that in it's current incarnation, it may not meet the technical requirements to be considered "GMO" but has been jacked up via human intervention nonetheless?

Here is a thread I dug up randomly that alludes to some of what I've heard:

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/26/triticum-fever-by-dr-william-davis-author-of-wheat-belly.html

4/23/14 6:00 PM
MattyECB
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just to remind everyone, if Placebo is enough to make dumb fuck martial artists like EFOers think they can magically Ki slam people to the ground using their mind, or enough to make a statistically significant effect against cancer and increase in remission, don't pretend like it's not strong enough to make you think your joints are suddenly nicer lol

"Cancer remission" via mind fuck is more impressive than "I'm more energetic today" via mindfuck

I mean the first thing you learn when you study science is to never trust your own perception, there's a reason scientific method is so carefully constructed and a peer review mechanism is in place to examine studies.

I hate this anti-gluten shit because a friend of mine actually has bad celiac's and it's fucked. He vomits all night and can't sleep if he even eats something that was cooked in a pan that held gluten-containing food earlier. All these ppl complaining about sleepiness or irritability from gluten have no idea how lucky they are not to actually suffer from true gluten sensitivity lol

4/23/14 6:01 PM
Fake Pie
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Positive Energy - Gluten containing foods are generally high calorie and low nutritional density which is one reason why many people feel better and lose weight by cutting them out.

Whether you think you are gluten sensitive or not, it doesn't change the fact that most breads and pastas are shitty foods that provide way too many carbs for a typical fat-assed office worker to ever burn off. If you trane hard then such foods can provide the necessary fuel but most people will be better off without them. Phone Post 3.0

That much is reasonable.
4/23/14 6:02 PM
MattyECB
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pbody - 
sadic1 -
jcblass - They are doing something to the bread today that they didn't do 5 or 10 years ago. I swear by that. If I eat a sub, or a bread heavy sandwich, I literally feel like I am going to die. Bloated and fat.

Something is off with bread and when I eat meals that don't have any of it in it, I instantly feel better.

I think what a lot of people attribute to the negative effects of gluten are actually the negative effects of flour in general. There is some interesting stuff out there explaining how intensely genetically modified flour is and how differently it effects peoples' bodies nowadays as compared to not too many years ago. Since gluten is in a lot of things made with flour, it would seem to be an easy misinterpretation to make, but in general, the more I avoid flour, the better I feel and the better my metabolism works.
There is no flour currently being used that is produced from genetically modified wheat. GM wheat is still a long way from commercialization. Phone Post 3.0

BULLSHIT ALERT

I'm very well versed in genetics and GMOs. I demand proof from sadic as this would be the first I've fucking heard of GMOs having an intensley different fucking effect on the body than non GMO

All this anti-GMO shit is even fucking worse than the anti-gluten shit

4/23/14 6:06 PM
MattyECB

sadic1 - 
pbody - 
sadic1 -

I think the argument I have heard, and I am NOT an expert on any of this, is that wheat is actually one of the earliest examples of ham-fisted genetic modification, or cross breeding, or whatever is the most accurate term to use. Is it possible that in it's current incarnation, it may not meet the technical requirements to be considered "GMO" but has been jacked up via human intervention nonetheless?

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/26/triticum-fever-by-dr-william-davis-author-of-wheat-belly.html

Jesus Christ man, try going on pubmed

This is your idea of proof? A half baked blog that doesn't even have a SINGLE reference to scientific journals or studies?

4/23/14 6:07 PM
Kway
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eat all the gluten you want, just don't eat wheat.
4/23/14 6:11 PM
esque
1128 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MattyECB -
sadic1 - 
pbody - 
sadic1 -

This is your idea of proof? A half baked blog that doesn't even have a SINGLE reference to scientific journals or studies?

To be fair, Wheat Belly has a shitload of references. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:12 PM
sadic1

MattyECB - 
sadic1 - 
pbody - 
sadic1 -

Relax, man, I wasn't trying to win a court case, I was just pulling random info I dug up in a few seconds that referred to other stuff I've read. The idea is that whether we call it "GMO" or not, a lot has been done to wheat to increase yield over the years, and these changes to wheat may have something to do with increased obesity and disease rates related to stuff sometimes found in it. All I know is that something seems different now compared to 30 or 40 years ago when it comes to wheat. It may also be that people are just eating a lot more wheat and wheat products than they even realize by eating so much pre-prepared foods from the supermarket and restaurants.
4/23/14 6:21 PM
MountainMedic
1054 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:21 PM
NFABeeJay
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it keeps me trim and feeling good then I don't give a shit what it's called or what's in it. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:23 PM
DMC
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was always skeptical about gluten sensitivity since reading up on coeliac's disease (it runs in the family) as it's genetic and something you either have or you don't.

We know precisely what causes the auto-immune response to the gluten protein in people with coeliac's. Can anyone tell me what precisely is causing adverse reactions in people who are not coeliac?

It seems to me people might just have digestive issues from over eating. Maybe too much carbohydrates in particular. And constant digestive issues will eventually make you feel pretty shitty in terms of overall health/well being. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:25 PM
shen
1416 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Torrance, CA

Suprise, suprise... Mr Jacobs is a shill for the Gluten-Industrial Complex!

Gluten is White Poison plain & simple! Well, actually I'm not sure if it's white --but it IS poison. That's a fact.

I'm not gonna explain all the scientifical aespects (you can read that at:  www.GlutenHolocaust.com), but basically it get's into your brain and the molecues move around and start to effect your mind so you don't think clearly, next thing you know, you're shooting up a schoolyard full of children.

95% of mass murdereds ATE GLUTEN!!! 

Time to wake up and smell the yeast, Gluten has got the world in a stranglehold and it's not going to let up until we're all dead.

4/23/14 6:27 PM
Meastt
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Call it what you want but I have significantly reduced wheat based items from my diet and I have kept 20lbs off for a year now (I workout 3x a week too). My skin is clear, I have been told by at least 3 people that my "complexion is better". My shits are regular and strain free. I have better sustained energy all day.

Also, as stated above I have greatly reduced my gluten intake by about 85%. When I do cheat and have a meal with lots of wheat I feel like crap for a few hours afterward.

Call it what you want but it has worked well for me. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:30 PM
The People's Knee
317 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Vienna, VA
shen - 

Suprise, suprise... Mr Jacobs is a shill for the Gluten-Industrial Complex!

Gluten is White Poison plain & simple! Well, actually I'm not sure if it's white --but it IS poison. That's a fact.

I'm not gonna explain all the scientifical aespects (you can read that at:  www.GlutenHolocaust.com), but basically it get's into your brain and the molecues move around and start to effect your mind so you don't think clearly, next thing you know, you're shooting up a schoolyard full of children.

95% of mass murdereds ATE GLUTEN!!! 

Time to wake up and smell the yeast, Gluten has got the world in a stranglehold and it's not going to let up until we're all dead.

it seems inconceivable that after all these years of interwebbing and jitsuing, we still have never met in person
4/23/14 6:31 PM
Meastt
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

andyloveshugs -

this is completely untrue, "they" are not doing "something to the bread today that they didn't do 5 or 10 years ago."

Read more, run your mouth less.

"There are a few theories as to why people are having a harder time tolerating gluten, and two of the prevailing ones center around the quality and the quantity of the gluten we're eating. First, farmers have bred wheat with a much larger endosperm that contains higher levels of gluten (which makes bread elastic -- a desirable trait from a food-processing standpoint) than heirloom varieties -- and second, we are being inundated with it. Food processors have found a way to use gluten in everything from salad dressing and soy sauce to toothpaste and lipstick."

http://healthyliving.msn.com/nutrition/6-need-to-know-facts-about-gluten Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:31 PM
MountainMedic
1054 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feel 1000x better when I don't eat wheat, am sick rarely, and my skin.kooks way better.

But I love beer. And tortillas. And sammiches. Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:37 PM
Eggbert
1226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As a glutonologist it is my professional opinion that op has a gluten intolerance in his vagina Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 6:40 PM
gokudamus

The People's Knee - 

The recent gluten-free diet fad is just another in a long line of silly diet fads. Your so -called "nutritionist" doesn't know WTF he/she is talking about. "Paleo!!!"

Read this:

http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/health-fitness/healthy-eating/know-your-nutrients/is-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity-for-real

It summarizes the following study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23648697

"In a placebo-controlled, cross-over rechallenge study, we found no evidence of specific or dose-dependent effects of gluten in patients with NCGS placed diets low in FODMAPs."

Boom.

so this study tested everyone in the world that is non-celiac for all adverse symptoms? 

4/23/14 6:52 PM
gokudamus

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16635908

CONCLUSIONS:

Based on our results, we concluded that gliadin activates zonulin signaling irrespective of the genetic expression of autoimmunity, leading to increased intestinal permeability to macromolecules.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3820047/

Non Celiac Gluten sensitivity (NCGS) was originally described in the 1980s and recently a “re-discovered” disorder characterized by intestinal and extra-intestinal symptoms related to the ingestion of gluten-containing food, in subjects that are not affected with either celiac disease (CD) or wheat allergy (WA). Although NCGS frequency is still unclear, epidemiological data have been generated that can help establishing the magnitude of the problem. Clinical studies further defined the identity of NCGS and its implications in human disease. An overlap between the irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and NCGS has been detected, requiring even more stringent diagnostic criteria. Several studies suggested a relationship between NCGS and neuropsychiatric disorders, particularly autism and schizophrenia

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6099562

Because of a possible relationship between schizophrenia and celiac disease, a condition in some individuals who are sensitive to wheat gluten proteins in the diet, there has been interest in observations that peptides derived from wheat gluten proteins exhibit opioid-like activity in in vitro tests. To determine the origin of the peptides exhibiting opioid activity, wheat proteins were fractionated by size (gel filtration), by charge differences (ion exchange chromatography) and by differences in hydrophobicity (reversed-phase HPLC). These fractions were hydrolyzed by pepsin or pepsin and trypsin and the resulting peptides separated by gel filtration chromatography. The separated peptides were tested for opioid-like activity by competitive binding to opioid receptor sites in rat brain tissue in the presence of tritium-labeled dihydromorphine. The peptides showed considerable differences in activity; while some peptides exhibited no activity, 0.5 mg of the most active peptides were equivalent to 1 nM of morphine in the binding assay. The most active peptides were derived from the gliadin fraction of the gluten complex.

4/23/14 6:54 PM
gokudamus

Edited: 04/23/14 6:53 PM
andyloveshugs - 
Meastt - Call it what you want but I have significantly reduced wheat based items from my diet and I have kept 20lbs off for a year now (I workout 3x a week too). My skin is clear, I have been told by at least 3 people that my "complexion is better". My shits are regular and strain free. I have better sustained energy all day.

Also, as stated above I have greatly reduced my gluten intake by about 85%. When I do cheat and have a meal with lots of wheat I feel like crap for a few hours afterward.

your problem was food high in carbohydrates and low in nutritional density, in that unless your lazy ass worked out you weren't gonna work off all those carbs. literally, literally zero to do with gluten. 

is that your scientific conclusion dr.? 

you do understand that gluten has properties that trigger adverse biochemical reactions in ALL people, including non-celiacs right? 

4/23/14 6:55 PM
tjmitch
427 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think gluten agitates Tpk in his mangina Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 7:00 PM
Meastt

andyloveshugs -
Meastt - Call it what you want but I have significantly reduced wheat based items from my diet and I have kept 20lbs off for a year now (I workout 3x a week too). My skin is clear, I have been told by at least 3 people that my "complexion is better". My shits are regular and strain free. I have better sustained energy all day.

your problem was food high in carbohydrates and low in nutritional density, in that unless your lazy ass worked out you weren't gonna work off all those carbs. literally, literally zero to do with gluten. 

I told you I cut gluten by 85%....gained a lot of positive results and you chalk that up to having some knowledge of what I ate prior? Phone Post 3.0
4/23/14 7:08 PM
gokudamus

Meastt - 
andyloveshugs -

I told you I cut gluten by 85%....gained a lot of positive results and you chalk that up to having some knowledge of what I ate prior? Phone Post 3.0

people fear what they dont understand...

but it would take just a little research for them to find that there is a ton of scientific literature out there on the negative effects of gluten even for non-celiacs...

sure some people tolerate it fine, but many do not..

4/23/14 8:09 PM
gabemadrid
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you don't have celiacs and just want to avoid gluten that's fine it's your body. However when you start saying you have allergies or intolerances to it and avoid gluten foods and give everyone around you dirty looks because they eat bread or have a chef come out and tell him to change up the whole kitchen for your fake fucking allergy. Then order a PBR and drink it without going into shock. It's fucking bullshit.

Everyone in Williamsburg can't have gluten somehow all the worlds gluten allergy people all moved to the same neighborhood. It's an insult to real allergies. Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.