UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Cormier: Jones beats prime Fedor, but not Cain

4/29/14 5:31 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Former US Olympic team captain Daniel Cormier fights Dan Henderson in the main event of UFC 173 on May 24. If he wins, he is widely expected to get a fight for the title vs. Jon Jones, if Jones beats Alexander Gustafsson in the rematch. If Gustafsson wins, there will likely be an automatic rubber match.

Cormier appeared on the MMA Hour and was asked by host Ariel Helwani if "The Mauler" stands a chance at beating Jones.

"No chance," said Cormier initially, as transcribed by MMAFighting. "Let me rephrase that. I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance. I'm just saying that if I had to bet my money, or if I asked 10 people who wins this fight, nine out of those 10 people would say Jon Jones, because honestly, I believe that he's better because he has more tools.

"When you look at Jon on paper against a lot of people, he seems to match up well against every single one of us. He seems to holds the advantages against every single one of us. It's the intangibles. It's the things that you can't measure on a piece of paper that it's going to take to beat Jon Jones - the things that I believe I hold in spades.

"I've been winning my entire life. That's all I know how to do, and that's what I plan on continuing to do as I finish my mixed martial arts career. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or cocky in any way. I know how to win. I know that at the end of the day, when I step in the cage with most guys that I fight, I've done more things right over the course of my lifetime and over the course of my athletic career than they have."

Earlier on Twitter, Cormier was asked several questions about Jones.

@Danielmmafan
How would Jon Jones do at HWT in your opinion?

Daniel Cormier @dc_mma
Fine

@MarkL0NG0RiA
Big Fan bro.. jones said before he would love to fight Cain do you think he would last 5 rounds vs Cain?

Daniel Cormier @dc_mma
No

@TXWingStinger
Jones vs prime Fedor, who takes it?

Daniel Cormier @dc_mma
Jones

So what do you think UG? How does Jon Jones do vs. Alexander Gustafsson, Daniel Cormier, the UFC heavyweight division, champion Cain Velasquez, and Fedor Emelianenko?

4/29/14 5:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ChaosOverkill
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No respect for being dubbed Emelianegro.

4/29/14 5:36 PM
Telamon
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I totally disagree but see why he would say Jones is better- so when he beats him, Cormier will Be the GOAT
4/29/14 5:39 PM
MonkeyDPaddy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

why do people love talking shit?

Prime fedor is lethal...sigh
4/29/14 5:43 PM
ChaosOverkill
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Horace.P.McTitties - Fedor would floss his ass with all three of these twats ... At the Same time Phone Post 3.0

Oh man that made me laugh voted up

4/29/14 5:49 PM
Tilla

Fedor in his prime was not only a savage who had cardio for day, but he found a way to win and he knew how to beat you.

I'd take Fedor via KO or Submission.

*orcus in 3... 2... 1...*
4/29/14 5:51 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

MonkeyDPaddy - why do people love talking shit?

Prime Fedor still only has a 74 inch reach. That would be an easy fight for Jones. 

4/29/14 5:51 PM
GnP Sonnen

. Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 5:52 PM
xsrg95
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no human beats healthy cain just like no human could beat prime fedor 5 years ago

4/29/14 5:58 PM
Damaynevent

I love threads like this. Subbing for later. Should be a good read tomorrow when in back at work. lol Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 5:59 PM
Tilla

GSP24 - The best fighter of 2004 is always gonna lose to the best fighter of 2014.

The fight game has evolved too much. Phone Post 3.0

What's evolved in the HW division?

So Cain has better wrestling, what else?

Fedor's cardio is SICK.

His power and sub-game are also SICK.

His mental toughness and out and out savagery is unrivaled.

Fedor's win over Mirko in his prime is better than any win Cain has. Junior or not.
4/29/14 5:59 PM
ChaosOverkill

MisterHawkeMMA - 

Prime Fedor still only has a 74 inch reach. That would be an easy fight for Jones. 

Hong man Choi had an 85.5 reach. (yes he was slow as an ox) but again reach ain't everything, Fedor terrorized people that couldn't KO or submit him, and even those two events were basically one offs after a transition to Cage MMA. 

However, Jones makes a definite fight out of it, but prime Fedor is not a guarantee win.

4/29/14 6:01 PM
caseharts
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pugilistics MMA
Cormier you crazy Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 6:04 PM
Anishnabe
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea I don't think so

Also he's not fighting hendo in the main event Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 6:05 PM
I_Bungalo_Baboo_Babies
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jones is very hittable, Fedor puts him down Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 6:06 PM
NukSooCow
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would never bet against 2004-2008 Fedor.
4/29/14 6:10 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

ChaosOverkill - 
MisterHawkeMMA - 

Hong man Choi had an 85.5 reach. (yes he was slow as an ox) but again reach ain't everything, Fedor terrorized people that couldn't KO or submit him, and even those two events were basically one offs after a transition to Cage MMA. 

However, Jones makes a definite fight out of it, but prime Fedor is not a guarantee win.

I'm not saying reach it is everything (how dare you bring up HMC). I'm saying that Fedor is a horrible matchup for Jones, and that reach would be one of the main factors.

Fedor isn't getting close enough to Jones to land any of those looping hooks, or to take him down. And then you add on that Fedor is smaller than Jones, and had little wrestling defense.

Of course he'd have a punchers chance. But realistically, that's all. Jones on the other hand could outstrike him to an easy decision, or could take him down and slice him open with elbows.

4/29/14 6:15 PM
SQUEEZIE

you guys never truly want the truth...you cant handle it.
4/29/14 6:36 PM
Maksemous

Prime(Pride) Fedor was 6'1 242 pounds of lethal muscle and fat.

Prime Fedor beat the crap out of Semmy Schilt who had a longer reach than Jones.

In a UFC cage Jones would take Fedor down and elbow him.

In a Pride Ring Jones would be screwed.
4/29/14 6:38 PM
cg51mma

I love DC but he lost a little bit respect from me. Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 6:45 PM
ChaosOverkill

MisterHawkeMMA - 
ChaosOverkill - 
MisterHawkeMMA - 

I'm not saying reach it is everything (how dare you bring up HMC). I'm saying that Fedor is a horrible matchup for Jones, and that reach would be one of the main factors.

Fedor isn't getting close enough to Jones to land any of those looping hooks, or to take him down. And then you add on that Fedor is smaller than Jones, and had little wrestling defense.

Of course he'd have a punchers chance. But realistically, that's all. Jones on the other hand could outstrike him to an easy decision, or could take him down and slice him open with elbows.

Fair enough I disagree, Fedor's striking was different, it would also matter where the fight took place ring or cage. Clinch would be different in the ring and Fedor fought the vast majority of his career in it.

Cage benefits Jones greatly, ring gives it back to Fedor for me.

4/29/14 6:47 PM
DoomFarmer
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cg51mma - I love DC but he lost a little bit respect from me. Phone Post 3.0

Why, because he gave an honest opinion?

I am as big of a Fedor fan as the next guy but I think Jones would beat him too.
4/29/14 6:50 PM
KnockoutThoughts
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry, neither Cormier nor Jones beats prime Fedor. First of all Jones hasn't proven anything at heavyweight. I think anyone at heavyweight gives him problems and can beat him. Not only does his reach and height advantage decrease, but know one knows what side effects the added size will have on his cardio. Jones would not beat prime Fedor imo. Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 6:52 PM
KnockoutThoughts
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KnockoutThoughts - Sorry, neither Cormier nor Jones beats prime Fedor. First of all Jones hasn't proven anything at heavyweight. I think anyone at heavyweight gives him problems and can beat him. Not only does his reach and height advantage decrease, but know one knows what side effects the added size will have on his cardio. Jones would not beat prime Fedor imo. Phone Post 3.0
Typo. Meant "no" not "know". Phone Post 3.0
4/29/14 6:55 PM
YouCantHandleMyRiddum
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The MMA scene is a fucking joke. Which one of these so called monsters has Jones beat, that prime Fedor wouldn't absolutely murder?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.