UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Pat Barry: You can't trust em to strike in MMA

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/2/14 1:50 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Pat Barry @HypeOrDie
100% striking, find one person who doesn't like that...if you do, they're an alien, remove them!" #GLORY16

Usually top athletes from folkstyle wrestling, BJJ, kickboxing, and other combat sports move on to mixed martial arts. That was the pattern with Pat Barry, who in 2008 was making a name for himself in kickboxing - the sport was dying, so he moved on to MMA, quickly getting into the UFC.

But he always loved the hitting. Wrestling, not so much.

The recently UFC released him from him contract, and at Glory 16 in Denver on May 3 he kickboxes Zack "The Black Warrior" Mwekassa.

"My (MMA) first fight that I won with three low kicks. I didn't want to do it," said Barry. "MMA wasn't something that I really wanted to do. Even then, I wasn't dying to get into it."

"Even if you're in an MMA match as a striker matched up against another striker, and you both agree 'We're not going to go to the ground,' you can't trust that. Whoever is standing across from you is untrustworthy all the time, no matter what. That's what I believe."

The unwillingness of fighters to exclusively strike in MMA, even extended to Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, who beat Barry at UFC 115, with a rear naked choke.

"That was flattering. Really, think about it," said Barry. "That was Mirko Cro Cop, and he had to beat me by choking me. I wasn't going to go down from a punch or a kick. He had to choke me out in order to win that fight…How flattering is that?"

Now Barry knows what to expect.

"One: You can expect that I'm not going to get submitted. That's cool," said Barry. "Two: I'm not a distance fighter. I have no intentions of going the distance, and I'm sure with all the finishes—all the knockouts and finishes that he has also—he's got no intentions of going the distance."

"If I win a fight by decision, I personally count that as a loss on my record. If a fight goes the distance and I win, I count that as a personal loss, because that's not what I was supposed to do. I'm a finisher."

"I needed to do MMA for the five years that I did for me to totally grasp what I'm capable of doing in kickboxing."

"Maybe on Saturday, maybe I get punched in the head and die. I have no idea. Maybe on Saturday I get in the ring, move around, throw a kick, he blocks it then punches me in the head and I realize, 'Ahh, nope. Not for me.' And I go back to delivering pizza."

"The goal is to be the best of all time. I'm not getting back into kickboxing because it'll be fun for a few fights. I'm coming in specifically to walk through everybody, climb my way to the top and be the best."

Read entire article...

5/2/14 1:55 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
930 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR PAT!!! Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 2:07 AM
ender852
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love me some HD, but didn't he do what he is accusing others of to Lavar Johnson?
Immediate take downs, but couldn't quite get the finish in round one. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 2:15 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
930 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ender852 - Love me some HD, but didn't he do what he is accusing others of to Lavar Johnson?
Immediate take downs, but couldn't quite get the finish in round one. Phone Post 3.0
You can't trust em, Pat can't even trust himself! Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 2:21 AM
elperro
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Love me some Pat Barry, No Homo, hope he stomps dude. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 5:47 AM
sadisticsoldier
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ender852 - Love me some HD, but didn't he do what he is accusing others of to Lavar Johnson?

Lavar took a leg kick and decided he'd rather grapple. Pat obliged him.
5/2/14 6:33 AM
Bisping=StillGatekeeper4Life
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cannot wait to see Pat fight tomorrow. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 6:38 AM
novaguy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No shit Pat,!!!

That's why its called MIXED MARTIAL ARTS

If you want a boxing only match, might I suggest something like, ummmm, BOXING??!!?? Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 6:44 AM
R00STER
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

novaguy - No shit Pat,!!!

If you want a boxing only match, might I suggest something like, ummmm, BOXING??!!?? Phone Post 3.0
Um actually he wanted a kickboxing match which is why he went back to kickboxing. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 6:49 AM
sycotik
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet baby jeebus, let the man bang!

5/2/14 6:55 AM
novaguy

R00STER -

Um actually he wanted a kickboxing match which is why he went back to kickboxing. Phone Post 3.0
Good for him, but to whine about people in MMA not strictly boxing is like getting in a shower and complaining about getting wet. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 7:32 AM
Sukulaku
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

novaguy - 
R00STER -

Good for him, but to whine about people in MMA not strictly boxing is like getting in a shower and complaining about getting wet. Phone Post 3.0

I don't see him complaining about it. He's just stating the fact that it is mixed martial arts and you should never think your oppponent isn't going to utilize all the tools at his/her disposal no matter what they said before the fight.
5/2/14 7:36 AM
Bossk
335 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

novaguy -
R00STER -

No it would be like if you went to take a shower and your shower said you wouldn't get wet so you thought "okay I won't get wet", then ended up getting wet. Sure its naive but still what he says is true and he didn't just sit and whine about it, he actually went out and got out of his contract to fight in kickboxing. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 7:59 AM
Moderate Perfection

Go away, Pat. No one cares. Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 8:11 AM
Flannerz
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sycotik - 

Sweet baby jeebus, let the man bang!

Just let him bang bro
5/2/14 8:26 AM
TBA11

Lol legendary quote Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 8:42 AM
VitorpeepeetasteStrongTRT
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moderate Perfection - Go away, Pat. No one cares. Phone Post 3.0
Vtfd Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 8:47 AM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
314 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

War HD! Phone Post
5/2/14 8:51 AM
YourStoryisCoolBro

novaguy -
R00STER -

You're gonna get shit bc HD posts here, usually when promoting something, but nonetheless he posts here,

I voted you up to combat the vote downs you will get for common sense Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 8:52 AM
RockTheVote
751 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck pat Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 8:53 AM
YourStoryisCoolBro

Moderate Perfection - Go away, Pat. No one cares. Phone Post 3.0
Clearly people care... Hence the post and the interview.

I think he's a funny guy but I could care less if he fight mma anymore. Just because he doesn't want to, not that he isn't fun to watch.. Though his best mma moment was the whole Kongo debacle Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 9:03 AM
xtonyiscoolx

Holy fuck I love Pat Barry Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 9:11 AM
Ironhouse
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/02/14 9:11 AM
4 oz gloves. Kickboxing with 4oz gloves = $$$. I don't know why a promotion hasn't started doing it. I assume regulators won't allow it?
5/2/14 9:42 AM
Gerkin

Bossk -
novaguy -
R00STER -

No it would be like if you went to take a shower and your shower said you wouldn't get wet so you thought "okay I won't get wet", then ended up getting wet. Sure its naive but still what he says is true and he didn't just sit and whine about it, he actually went out and got out of his contract to fight in kickboxing. Phone Post 3.0
You got a point bro Phone Post 3.0
5/2/14 9:50 AM
BigWilliam
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He made the right move going back to kick boxing. But saying you cannot 'trust' people in MMA to just strike is silly. Of course you can't. That is like trusting a boxer to only punch with one hand.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.