UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nate Diaz manager: We're just kinda all in limbo

5/10/14 4:36 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Nate Diaz signed an eight fight contract with the UFC in 2012, prior to his title shot with Benson Henderson.

In Mid Feb of this year, contract negotiations between the UFC and Gil Melendez broke down. Melendez came to terms with Bellator, and the UFC exerted their right to match the contract.

Fortunately for Melendez, the contract with Bellator was remarkably favorable, offering for example points on a pay per view at a very low threshhold, that the UFC was then obliged to match. Further, Melendez earns points on the PPV, regardless of whether he is the main even, the co main, or simply on the main card. Further, 75% of his fights have to be on PPV. Bellator could presumably be generous with these terms as they had not a PPV to date, and if they had, high buys were not anticipated.

Melendez and Diaz are both Cesar Gracie trained lightweights, and presumably when Diaz heard that Melendez had gotten one of the best contracts in UFC history, he looked at his contract in a different light.

In April he tweeted that he wanted to be released from his contract with the UFC.

Diaz then did an extended interview with Ariel Helwani for MMAFighting.

"My contract is all f---ed up," said Diaz. "I want to be paid like these other fighters. I'm over here getting chump change. At this point, they're paying all my partners and other people I train with are getting real money, and it's too embarrassing for me to even fight again for the money they're paying me. So they can either pay me or let me go. I'm with that."

"I don't get paid s---, and I'm about to tell the world. I didn't like what my brother and my partners got paid. Now that they got a better contract, which still ain't s---, it blows what I get out of the water. And they deserve triple what they get. I've been in the UFC for eight years and never turned down a fight. It's not like I'm getting paid 20 bucks an hour and they're getting 50 bucks an hour. I'm getting 20 bucks an hour and they're getting paid 15,000 bucks an hour. They blow me out the water."

"My partners still make s--- money for what the company is bringing in. They're happy because they're not getting paid what they used to get paid, so they get little chunks to shut up. As far as I'm concerned, I don't get paid s--- I get $60,000 and $60,000. If I were doing this for the fame, I would have quit seven years ago. I can't tell you what my brother and Gil make, but I can tell you that they signed a contract for more than I get paid to headline and win a fight, and that's bulls---. So you understand where I'm coming from? I can't even fight for the money they're offering me. So I ask to get released because I can't fight there for that.

"When I signed my last contract, they conned me into signing an eight-fight contract to fight Henderson. I was negotiating my contract three weeks out from the fight. [Manager] Mike [Kogan] came in and got me a little bit of a raise - a little - they act like they hooked me up. They didn't do s---. They gave me a little something to shut me up for a minute, got me to sign the contract, but the way they got me to sign the contract was like, Just trust me, sign the contract, and we can renegotiate anytime. I was like, I'll just fight a couple of fights and then talk some s--- because I don't like this contract. So I'll renegotiate in a couple of fights because they told me I could do that. Then they called me to take the Khabib fight when it wasn't working out for them and Gil. They were trying to lowball Gil, too, and he was supposed to fight Khabib, but he said he couldn't take the fight for the money they were offering. So they call me the next day and ask me to fight Khabib. I said, I'll take the fight as long as I can renegotiate my contract. And then it was all downhill from there. Then they tweeted out that I turned down the fight, and I never turned down the fight. They tried to do me dirty.

"If I can get released, I can go fight somewhere and make some money. If they can renegotiate, I can make some money, because right now I'm broke. For some reason, the IRS is telling me that I owe them more money than I have right now, and I pay my taxes every year."

UFC president Dana White has said several times that Diaz needs to honor the contract he signed.

"He was happy as can be when he signed his new deal," Said White. "Go back and look at my twitter after he signed the new deal. I tweeted it. He was happy. We've done everything to honor the contract. I've always been good to Diaz. This is the kind of craziness you see with athletes. They end up spinning off and don't make the money they should have made. Nate Diaz has what it takes to be champion or he doesn't, but I'll tell you, there's only one way to find out. He has to come back and fight. He thinks he loses to two of the best guys in the world and deserves more money? In what f---ing planet does that make sense?"

For the past couple of months, the situation has not changed. Diaz does not want to fight for the contracted amount, so the situation is frozen

Nate Diaz's manager Mike Kogan recently appeared on Submission Radio, and discussed contract negotiations with the UFC.

"We asked to sit down and have a conversation about our contract and they said no," said Kogan as transcribed by BloodyElbow. "So we said OK, then we'll sit out and wait until you know, something changes. We're just kinda all in limbo. Hopefully we'll sit down and have a productive conversation. So far, all of our interaction has been through media, you know we say something and then they say something and we say something. We're yet to actually have a conversation.

"I had a brief conversation with Joe Silva and he said 'well that's not going to happen' so I said 'okay sounds good' so we'll just wait. Wait and see, but we don't have a specific goal, we just want to be able to have a conversation and see what happens. Nate will be open to fighting anywhere where he's paid the most and where his stock has the most value, but we are under contract with the UFC so it doesn't really matter."

5/10/14 4:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheEssence
311 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really don't get this. You signed the contract. Be a man and honour it, or retire. If you didn't think you were getting paid well, then don't sign the contract. I'm tired of hearing about this shit already. I just want him to fight and I'm sure I'm not the only one Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:44 PM
Simon H
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheEssence - I really don't get this. You signed the contract. Be a man and honour it, or retire. If you didn't think you were getting paid well, then don't sign the contract. I'm tired of hearing about this shit already. I just want him to fight and I'm sure I'm not the only one Phone Post 3.0
Probably going to be voted down for this but the Diaz brothers have got to be the stupidest people in the entire sport Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:47 PM
Jimmy Wrassler
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheEssence - I really don't get this. You signed the contract. Be a man and honour it, or retire. If you didn't think you were getting paid well, then don't sign the contract. I'm tired of hearing about this shit already. I just want him to fight and I'm sure I'm not the only one Phone Post 3.0
I'm not sure how I feel about this argument because the UFC contracts are so fucking one sided. I'm sure they also pressured him to sign up for 8 fights (which is really bad for the fighter) so he could focus on his title shot.

I would agree with you if the contracts weren't so fucked Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:49 PM
Durk McGurk

Yawn. This old story again. Neither side will budge. Only really hurts the Diaz bros though. The ufc will go on. 209 what...a bunch of morans. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:49 PM
insomnia

Jimmy Wrassler - 
I'm not sure how I feel about this argument because the UFC contracts are so fucking one sided. I'm sure they also pressured him to sign up for 8 fights (which is really bad for the fighter) so he could focus on his title shot.

Well, Gilbert seemed to do the right thing and tested his value on the market. No reason Diaz couldn't do that at the time.
5/10/14 4:50 PM
colubrid1

Edited: 05/10/14 4:50 PM
why is it that every fighter that the fans want to see most (Nick Diaz, Fedor, Cyborg ect) can't fight in the UFC? HMMMMM?
5/10/14 4:50 PM
Durk McGurk

Jimmy Wrassler -

I do agree contracts are ducked but on a losing skid isn't the time to make a stand. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:55 PM
Durk McGurk

Nate def could have done what gil did. No way they would have let a Diaz go to another promotion. The ufc have all the power in this one regardless of what's fair. They can let him sit the rest of his prime at least and they'll be fine. A shame. Get back to work. Win a couple then try it again. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:57 PM
dabigchet

somebody needs to explain to Nate how the world works Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:57 PM
SupesUp
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Wrassler -

But giving in to a guy like nate would fuck them.
How many guys on the roster would pull the same shit and could you blame them?
This would be a crazy precedence to set.
Especially considering his recent record. I love watching the guy fight but he has zero leg to stand on and the longer he waits the more of his prime he wastes.
Gotta make what you can when you can and zuffa holds the power here. Finish your contract as best you can and then decide your next move. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 4:59 PM
IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap
412 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Durk McGurk -
Jimmy Wrassler -

I do agree contracts are ducked but on a losing skid isn't the time to make a stand. Phone Post 3.0
Diaz isn't on a losing skid. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 5:05 PM
Choochy
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

insomnia -
Jimmy Wrassler - 

Well, Gilbert seemed to do the right thing and tested his value on the market. No reason Diaz couldn't do that at the time.
Hindsight is 20/20. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 5:09 PM
I LOVE DIAZ (no homo)
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if they paid the Diaz bros what the deserve it woulsd open the flood gates for every fighter to make their fair share of pie. I doubt the ufc gives 25% of the take to the fighters.

3.5 Billion dollar company, means every name fighter should be a millionaire.
5/10/14 5:09 PM
Molsonmuscle360
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jimmy Wrassler - 

Well maybe they should be represented by real agents instead of schucksters like Kogan and the various other frauds that comprise a large portion of MMA agents.  They get real agents, from a reputable firm who actually know what they are doing, then they would start getting paid more.

5/10/14 5:12 PM
2BReal
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Diaz’s manager actually tried to sit down with the UFC to talk and they were like hell no. Dang…

For someone who has been with the UFC since 2007, is the winner of TUF 5 and an 11-time fight of the night bonus winner, Nate doesn’t get much respect from his ‘employer’ . I was actually dumb enough to believe they were negotiating and the UFC and Diaz’s manger could not agree on new terms. I know the UFC doesn’t have to talk to the guy, but dude has been loyal to the organization for 7 years and fights his ass off! IMO this is kind of messed up.
5/10/14 5:13 PM
Molsonmuscle360
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I LOVE DIAZ (no homo) - if they paid the Diaz bros what the deserve it woulsd open the flood gates for every fighter to make their fair share of pie. I doubt the ufc gives 25% of the take to the fighters.

3.5 Billion dollar company, means every name fighter should be a millionaire.

You realize that the 3.5 billion is a valuation.  It doesn't mean that's the capital that they have on hand or anything like that.  The UFC doesn't make the kind of profits that traditional sports do,  more often then not, single teams in the NFL are bringing in more revenue and profiting more per year then the UFC does, and they are only employing 40ish athletes.  Not 400.

5/10/14 5:15 PM
CindyO

Jimmy Wrassler - 

LOL@ pressuring a Diaz brother to do a dayum thing=)

Cindy

5/10/14 5:17 PM
CindyO

SupesUp - 
Jimmy Wrassler -

But giving in to a guy like nate would fuck them.
How many guys on the roster would pull the same shit and could you blame them?
This would be a crazy precedence to set.
Especially considering his recent record. I love watching the guy fight but he has zero leg to stand on and the longer he waits the more of his prime he wastes.
Gotta make what you can when you can and zuffa holds the power here. Finish your contract as best you can and then decide your next move. Phone Post 3.0

I love the brothers but this is a great post.

Cindy

5/10/14 5:21 PM
Durk McGurk

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap -
Durk McGurk -
Jimmy Wrassler -

Diaz isn't on a losing skid. Phone Post 3.0
You're right. 1 in a row for Nate. Regardless he's not in a position of power to negotiate. He's George Costanza. He's got no hand. Phone Post 3.0
5/10/14 5:26 PM
epwar
556 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as I'm concerned, I don't get paid s--- I get $60,000 and $60,000

Stopped reading right there.

If Nate were to fight and win 3 times a year, he would get just in salary $360,000. What a whiny, entitled brat.
5/10/14 5:27 PM
Bisping=StillGatekeeper4Life
193 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I believe he is worth more money but he has signed a contract. He needs to fire his fucking agent as he is the guy who brokered the deal.
5/10/14 5:57 PM
yabadaba
131 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/10/14 6:00 PM

I thought he was complaining about making 15k & 15k (which does seem very low).

Nate Diaz: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Gray Maynard: $45,000

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/tuf-18-finale-salaries-maynard-45k-diaz-30k-top-event-payroll

But the OP has Diaz saying he makes 60k & 60k. Can anyone clarfiy?

5/10/14 6:04 PM
Wisdom100

this thing is becoming more serious by the day

5/10/14 6:22 PM
UGCTT_CloudStrife
287 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yabadaba - 

I thought he was complaining about making 15k & 15k (which does seem very low).

Nate Diaz: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Gray Maynard: $45,000

http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/tuf-18-finale-salaries-maynard-45k-diaz-30k-top-event-payroll

But the OP has Diaz saying he makes 60k & 60k. Can anyone clarfiy?

It was a figure that was proven to be reported false a while ago but people still use it to make their point better.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.