UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW: Brown one fight from title shot

5/11/14 10:49 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Matt Brown won his 7th fight in a row on Saturday night, tying for second place in the UFC all-time streak record, behind only Anderson Silva's 11. Brown did so in an extraordinary fight of the year candidate vs. Erick Silva.

In any other division he would be getting a title shot next. But the level of depth at welterweight is truly deep.

Brown was explicit at the post fight press conference about what he wanted.

"I am not calling it a title shot, I am calling it a title fight because I am not going to take a shot at it. I'm going to take the title when I go fight for it," said Brown.

The case against Brown is a simple one - he has no wins vs. top 10 fighters. However, looking at the fighters ranked above him, a solid case emerges for a title fight as soon as champion Johny Hendricks recovers from surgery:
1. Robbie Lawler - Had a title shot in March
2. Rory MacDonald - On a one-fight win streak
3. Tyron Woodley - 3-2 last five fights
4. Carlos Condit - Injured
5. Jake Ellenberger - 2-2 last four fights
6. Hector Lombard - Only has two fights in the division
7. Matt Brown

Never the less, UFC president Dana White firmly applied the brakes to title talk, noting that the back injury Brown sustained before a planned fight with Carlos Condit at UFC on FOX 9 in December is what delayed the title fight.

“I said, ‘You sound like the media. Calm down. Let me go home, and we’ll figure it out,'" said White. "Matt Brown should have already been in that position. He hurt his back with that Condit fight. That was the fight that was going to get him where he wanted to be. But this fight definitely puts him in a spot where we’ll give him one of those top contenders.”

Here are the UFC's top 10 welterweight contenders:
1. Robbie Lawler
2. Rory MacDonald
3. Tyron Woodley
4. Carlos Condit
5. Jake Ellenberger
6. Hector Lombard
7. Matt Brown
8. Demian Maia
9. Dong Hyun Kim
10. Tarec Saffiedine

Several already have fights lined up:
Robbie Lawler vs. Jake Ellenberger at UFC 173: Barao vs Dillashaw on 05/24.
Rory MacDonald vs. Tyron Woodley at UFC 174: Bagautinov vs. Johnson on 06/14/2014

Hendricks was cleared earlier this week for light MMA training, and anticipates a fight in late 2014.

So UG, who should Brown fight next? Is there anyone but Hector Lombard that makes sense?

White as much as agreed during a post-fight interview on FOX Sports 1.

"We’re going to give him something big, maybe Hector Lombard is next," said White.

5/11/14 11:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SirBadd
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isnt Anderson's record of 16 and not 11?? Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:00 AM
zebers3
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Winner of Robbie/Ellenberger. 

5/11/14 11:03 AM
SupesUp
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In agreement. One top guy and he's it. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:05 AM
Vikingknee
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only guy I don't wanna see him against is woodley. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:09 AM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Still think they should be flexibile in this case and give him the shot. Who is excited for ANY of the other guys to get a title fight right now?

Lawler -- 0 fight streak (his last fight was a loss). Got a title fight when he came into the UFC having gone 3-5 in the last several years, then beat Koscheck (coming off a loss), Voelker (coming off a KO loss), and then won a split decision over Rory (his biggest win in the division).

Rory -- 1 fight streak. Beat Maia coming off a loss, lost himself the fight before that. Biggest win is Ellenberger.

Tyron -- 2 fight streak. Beat Condit by injury; his biggest win. 3-2 in his last 5.

Condit -- 0 fight streak. Perennial top contender but out indefinitely with injury.

Ellenberger -- 0 fight streak. Good wins overall but lost 2 of his last 4 and really stunk up the place in his last fight against Rory.

Lombard -- 2 fight streak. Just had a snoozer with Shields.

Brown -- 7 fight streak, 6 of those by KO or TKO. Last night's headlining performance has many calling it fight of the year.

Maia -- 0 fight streak, lost his last two.

Kim -- 4 fight streak, biggest win is I guess Paulo Thiago? Usually a decision machine but won his last two by KO.

Tarec -- 5 fight streak, all decisions, has had essentially zero UFC exposure so far. His only UFC fight was on a card that aired only on Fight Pass.
5/11/14 11:13 AM
dermotfix
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think Brown vs Hendricks has awesome fight written allover it. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:15 AM
orcus

KING Stannis Baratheon - To be quite honest I don't see Matt beating anyone above his current position Phone Post 3.0

How do you see Ellenberger beating him? Or Lawler? Neither of those guys use their wrestling for anything other than takedown defense, and Matt is a better, more varied striker -- and more aggressive -- than either of them, and I believe more dangerous on the ground as well. They have more one-shot power, but they also let fights get away from them (Lawler in particular).

Condit is practically a mirror image of Brown except I think Brown is better standing and Condit is better on the ground.

Tyron has more power and obviously far better wrestling, but worse standup, cardio, and submissions.

Lombard has more power and again, far better wrestling, but worse standup and cardio.

Oddly enough, Maia is the only guy on that list that I think is a lock against Brown. I think he has a good shot at everybody else and I'd pick him over several of them.
5/11/14 11:17 AM
Slobonmynog
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wanna see brown vs lawler. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:20 AM
The Sultan
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - Still think they should be flexibile in this case and give him the shot. Who is excited for ANY of the other guys to get a title fight right now?

Lawler -- 0 fight streak (his last fight was a loss). Got a title fight when he came into the UFC having gone 3-5 in the last several years, then beat Koscheck (coming off a loss), Voelker (coming off a KO loss), and then won a split decision over Rory (his biggest win in the division).

Rory -- 1 fight streak. Beat Maia coming off a loss, lost himself the fight before that. Biggest win is Ellenberger.

Tyron -- 2 fight streak. Beat Condit by injury; his biggest win. 3-2 in his last 5.

Condit -- 0 fight streak. Perennial top contender but out indefinitely with injury.

Ellenberger -- 0 fight streak. Good wins overall but lost 2 of his last 4 and really stunk up the place in his last fight against Rory.

Brown -- 7 fight streak, 6 of those by KO or TKO. Last night's headlining performance has many calling it fight of the year.

Kim -- 4 fight streak, biggest win is I guess Paulo Thiago? Usually a decision machine but won his last two by KO.

Tarec -- 5 fight streak, all decisions, has had essentially zero UFC exposure so far. His only UFC fight was on a card that aired only on Fight Pass.
Great points man and im in total agreement with everything you said. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:21 AM
OmgItsTheWams
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want Brown vs DHK 2

If Lawler vs Brown happens I will have no clue what to do Brown is now 1B to Lawler who is 1A as my favorite fighter

5/11/14 11:36 AM
B LAZ E

fuck all you useless cock suckers who make videos unwatchable because of what country your in. Theres a name for that it fucken racism. So die slow bitches!!!!!!
5/11/14 11:42 AM
Yussarian
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fair enough. Anyone above him will be a serious challenge for him though. As always, the WW division is stacked with killers, I see more than just one with the ability to take that title.
5/11/14 11:43 AM
pennviachoke
1230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want brown v woodley...woodley was already talking shit last night anyhow so put em in the cage together Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:43 AM
kjonesbeatdown
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OmgItsTheWams -

I want Brown vs DHK 2

If Lawler vs Brown happens I will have no clue what to do Brown is now 1B to Lawler who is 1A as my favorite fighter

Like that matchup Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:47 AM
Kostakio
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brown vs. Lombard Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:48 AM
dhughes
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

B LAZ E - fuck all you useless cock suckers who make videos unwatchable because of what country your in. Theres a name for that it fucken racism. So die slow bitches!!!!!!

See...now I want to read the other 7 posts you've made in the last 4 years.
5/11/14 11:50 AM
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It is going to be hilarious how they work their magic to keep Brown out of the title picture and give a shot to Rory instead.

5/11/14 11:55 AM
VinegarStrokes
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brown vs Lawler would be awesome. Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:57 AM
Media Monster
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dhughes -
B LAZ E - fuck all you useless cock suckers who make videos unwatchable because of what country your in. Theres a name for that it fucken racism. So die slow bitches!!!!!!

Lol Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 11:58 AM
Blitzkegel
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Media Monster -
dhughes -

Lol Phone Post 3.0
lmao Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 12:43 PM
tjmitchiscool
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brown matches up well against everyone there..Hendricks would be a tougher matchup for him IMO...get him in there against Rory Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 4:42 PM
MisterHawkeMMA

Love watching Brown fight, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Brown loses to every single fighter in the top 10. Badly to most of them. Since Diaz is too scared to fight Lombard, give him to Brown. If he was to finish Lombard, then that's a win that would put him in the title picture for me. 

5/11/14 4:50 PM
DoomFarmer
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let Brown beat Rory's ass Phone Post 3.0
5/11/14 5:12 PM
Chromium
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - Still think they should be flexibile in this case and give him the shot. Who is excited for ANY of the other guys to get a title fight right now?

Let's apply the same cherry-picked logic to Matt Brown that you did to everyone else:

Matt Brown: best win was over #14 ranked Erick Silva. Literally everyone ranked above him has more losses because they've been fighting tougher guys. Using your logic, Khabib Nurmagomedov should have gotten an immediate title shot upon entering the UFC because he was 16-0 at the time with 8 straight stoppages. Or Hector Lombard, for that matter, who was on a 20-fight win streak. Never mind _who_ they beat.

Also, dismissing Kim because his "biggest win is I guess Paulo Thiago?" kind of undercuts your argument when he just beat Erick Silva in less time than Matt Brown did, who is, again, Matt Brown's biggest win (I won't bother with Stun Gun having a direct win over Matt Brown, since it was 6 years ago).

Rory vs. Woodley will produce the best immediate #1 contender. Lombard is rumored to fight Stun Gun next, although I suppose that's not set in stone. Matt Brown fighting the winner of Ellenberger/Lawler would be just fine. Lawler's fight against Hendricks was quite close and a hell of a fight, so beating two top guys and getting his rematch isn't unreasonable. Ellenberger beating the current #1 contender and then Matt Brown would also produce a worthy challenger. And Matt Brown beating the winner of Ellenberger / Lawler is a more than fair requirement to get to his title fight, as he'll have beaten a Top 5 guy when before he had no Top 10 wins.

I know Brown put on a hell of a fight last night, but I keep hearing this immediately after every time a fringe contender does something spectacular. Like Stun Gun winning with a spinning elbow. Or Lombard fucking up Jake Shields. The fact is quantity does not equal quality, so yes, Brown needs to fight again before getting his wish.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.