UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> KB vs. MT: The fight that changed history

5/16/14 6:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BlackJesus
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I found that on VHS at a swap meet in the 90's 

5/16/14 6:51 AM
Mr Sizzzz
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't trane and don't know the history of this fight. Can someone fill me in on the major differences between AKB and MT back then Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 6:56 AM
Slapsymaxi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mr Sizzzz - I don't trane and don't know the history of this fight. Can someone fill me in on the major differences between AKB and MT back then Phone Post 3.0
Orgs like PKA didn't allow leg kicks and required like. 8 kicks above the waist a round. (I think I'm remembering this right?)

I think WKA had multiple rulesets. I think Oriental Rules allowed leg kicks but no elbows? Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 7:25 AM
Shoryuken Rw
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Guys today can't survive kicks like that even after having their legs be conditioned for it from training Muay Thai, and knowing how to check. Roufus didn't even know how to check a single one, he just took full on monster kicks one after another. That's amazing to me. Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 8:26 AM
sosy1325
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

All the "that'd"s in the intro killed me lol
5/16/14 10:05 AM
de braco
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasa-B - 
69stang - Check out Manson Gibson VS Kiatsongrit for an American beating a Thai, twice, in that era.
Kiatsongrit also fought full contact Karate in Japan in the pre-cursor to what became K1. He was fighting heavy weights. I think it was called Seido Kai Kan from memory. I think Maurice Smith might have fought in it too.

IIRC, Seido is an offshoot of Kyokushin which still had no punching to the head? Andy Hug came from Seido i think

Hug came from Kyokushin, he changed affliation when he started fighting K-1. The PKA ruined the american kickboxing scene by tailoring the rules to exclude thais(no leg kicks,throws,knees) and boxers(8 kick minimum), leaving us with the abortion they called full contact karate that was incapable of competition with the rest of the world. The Andy Hug vs Mike Labree is another good example of what happens to full contact karate when confronted by leg kicks

5/16/14 10:15 AM
Metal Box Combatives
381 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 11:01 AM
I Support BBC in Pink Shorts
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What year was that in?
5/16/14 11:56 AM
Chris SK
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 12:14 PM
FlyingKnee_bar
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great video, it funny i feel like most of the roufus guys now are all good leg kickers also
5/16/14 1:41 PM
Morgz
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cool video.  cool history of part of the sport, too.

5/16/14 1:47 PM
Huey freman
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video, good to see duke man up and accept he was wrong and apply it into his own style. Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 2:21 PM
Cann
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great fight for the history of kickboxing/muay thai, thanks for posting. lol at his corners after speech, "he won from talentless low kicks". Wow have things changed.
5/16/14 2:38 PM
temujen
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 2:45 PM
Pitbull3744

Awesome vid. 

5/16/14 2:48 PM
UGCTT_xxzygotexx
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great video. Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 2:51 PM
KZTT_FawkingxD
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In b4 duke! Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 2:59 PM
Inked624
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub'd Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 3:15 PM
jkd_guy
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post 3.0
5/16/14 3:17 PM
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My 1st style MiyaMoto Ryu Bujutisu founder Antonio Periara studied in Japan,brought to the BX,NY made it Combat Jujitsu,reality based self defense.I did many years of shin and forearm conditioning.When I started TKD(in the 80's),I was checking everyone kicks.They were not happy.Then my teacher introduce the jump spinning back kick.I was in love after I recovered!!!
5/16/14 6:48 PM
Trane

Edited: 05/16/14 8:16 PM
Cool video, thanks.
5/16/14 7:04 PM
CMX4
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Time clock sponsored by Coors. Brock approves (while on top of his wife).
5/16/14 7:40 PM
LawrenceKenshin
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I'm touched by the incredible support. It's truly an honor to be showcased on the UG, the community I consider the most diverse and integral in MMA. I hope that you guys will like my future breakdowns as well. 

I'd like to reiterate a few things: there's a small audience that's not happy with what Duke said. He was quite young (18) and had just watched someone he admired very much lose in a brutal fashion.

I included his speech to demonstrate what's critical to become an elite fighter / coach: open-mindedness, adaptibility, and willingness to admit an error. It's not a coincidence that elite coaches are open to constructive discussion and criticism -- they will often welcome it to improve. 

That's exactly what Duke did after the spontaneous speech, and I think his willingness to learn (which includes but isn't limited to authentic Muay Thai) after this match was fundamental to future development. His fights and accomplished team should speak for itself. He also became one of the few instructors in the world that has a comprehensive understanding of all combat sports. The cerebral approach to fights, willingness to learn, transition from the traditional arts to full contact made him my favorite striking coach. Any fighter would be lucky to be coached by him today. 

5/16/14 8:34 PM
QueenCityLurker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/16/14 8:34 PM
This was a great video. I am glad and thankful that Lawrence shared this with us. <br />I grew up in the kickboxing era, and missed this fight. It was nice to revisit the glory years of kickboxing and witness not only true talent, but true heart as well. Despite the outcome, there were no losers in this fight. The MMA community learned and grown from it.
5/16/14 9:12 PM
UGCTT_5 for fighting
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.